[Kfwdev] cvs/svn export vs checkout

Kevin Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 20 14:23:35 EDT 2007

I like the idea and have merged changes from your bkw.pl and pass1-cfg.xml
to my files.  But the directories will still be searched, since building the
src zip doesn't know if CHECKOUT or EXPORT was specified.

-----Original Message-----
From: kfwdev-bounces at MIT.EDU [mailto:kfwdev-bounces at MIT.EDU] On Behalf Of
Jeffrey Altman
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 10:23 AM
To: kfwdev at mit.edu
Subject: [Kfwdev] cvs/svn export vs checkout

The build scripts currently support three repository modes: checkout,
update, or skip.  The scripts perform the checkout and then go to a lot
of effort to prune the .cvs and .svn directories.  Tom reminded us a
couple of days ago that both cvs and svn support the "export" command.
The "export" command obtains all of the sources for the specified
revision but does not create the .cvs or .svn directories.  Using
"export" instead of "checkout" makes sense for the release builds as it
would reduce the amount of data that must be written to, searched, and
deleted.

There are two restrictions when using "export". First, a tag or branch
name must be specified.  Otherwise, the export will fail.  It is also
required that the destination directory of the svn export not exist.
Otherwise, the export will fail.

Kevin, if you agree that this is a worthwhile modification, you can find
copies of your scripts which have been modified to support "export" in
~jaltman/Public/KFW/bkw

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.