malloc hang inside krb5_sendto_kdc

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Feb 2 16:21:56 EST 2004

>So .... is this a known bug? I've read some stuff that if a program
>clobbers malloc'ed memory it can sometimes exhibit a hang in
>_malloc_consolidate.

That can certainly happen (on the systems I use, it generally just
crashes, but hanging doesn't surprise me as a possible option).

>Any hints on next steps I can take? I have an open support call with
>redhat for the past two weeks but it's not moving very quickly. :(

Well, you seem to be handy with a debugger, so I would recommend using
a debugging malloc library that will trap writes outside of the
malloc'd memory areas.  One such library is Electric Fence (efence),
and it comes with the RedHat system I have access to.  This will help
you track down the part of your program that is corrupting the malloc
data structure.

--Ken