[IS&T Security-FYI] SFYI Newsletter, October 22, 2012

Andrew Munchbach amunch at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 22 14:03:25 EDT 2012

In this issue:

1. Is Verizon Wireless selling your usage data?

1. Is Verizon Wireless selling your usage data?

A recent change to the terms of service (TOS) that all Verizon Wireless customers are bound to gives the company the authority to aggregate and sell customer usage and location data.  The end-goal -- other than additional revenue -- is to help third-party advertisers deliver more targeted adverts.  As one Verizon Wireless executive put is, "data is the new oil."  What's more concerning still is that the service is opt-out (meaning if you haven't explicitly asked Verizon Wireless not to do this, they're doing it).

Verizon Wireless customers can opt-out of this new "feature" by signing-in to  http://www.verizonwireless.com/myprivacy and selecting "Don't Share My CPNI", "Don't use my information for aggregate reports" and "Don't use my demo-graphic info for banners".

It is currently unknown if Verizon Wireless is aggregating the usage data of MIT corporate contract (CRU) users. IS&T's Mobile Devices Team is currently investigating whether or not the TOS change applies to CRU lines.

Read this story in the news: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57533001-38/verizon-draws-fire-for-monitoring-app-usage-browsing-habits/

Read all Security FYI Newsletter articles and submit comments online at http://securityfyi.wordpress.com/.

Andrew Munchbach
IT Security Analyst
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
IS&T | Operations & Infrastructure | IT Security Services
amunch at mit.edu
+1 (617) 324-4571

http://ist.mit.edu/secure