[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Newsletter: March 21, 2022

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Mar 21 11:06:13 EDT 2022

gwaMIT Newsletter
March 21st, 2022

Become a member of the gwaMIT Executive Board!
Want to get involved with gwaMIT, build your network, and collaborate with an incredible community of womxn graduate students? Apply to be part of the 2021-2022 gwaMIT Executive Board! We are currently focused on recruiting for the Conference Chair, Membership Chair, Publicity Chair, Outreach Chair, and Events Co-Chair positions. The application form is available here<https://forms.gle/D5rUT277SfCmxrxA7>. There is a link to the official descriptions in the application form.

Sign up to help organize the 2022 gwaMIT Leadership Conference!
We are currently accepting sign-ups to help plan our annual Leadership Conference, which will be held from April 11th to April 15th:

  *   Co-Chairs: Conference Co-Chairs lead the committee members, set the conference theme, and oversee all general planning of the conference
  *   Event Leads: each conference has 4-5 Event Leads who each spearhead a single event (either an invited speaker, a panel, a workshop, etc.)
  *   Committee Members: attend regular meetings, contribute to theme brainstorming, logistics, publicity, and volunteer during events
Please contact the gwaMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu> if you have any questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous conferences and events on our website: https://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit/. We look forward to working with you!
Sign up here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScnPD-bdcqRDKmtl1nL7ylOk89zMupcCQB4AiocnmiedFqpRA/viewform>!

Learn how you can help support Ukrainians here<https://linktr.ee/UkrainiansBoston>

Did you know? Womxn-related news from around the world

The director of “Turning Red,” Domee Shi<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/07/movies/turning-red-movie-interview-domee-shi.html>, is the first woman filmmaker with a solo directing credit on a Pixar feature; four years ago she broke another glass ceiling when she became the first woman to direct a Pixar short—Bao—which won her an Oscar.

In cities around the world, women<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/fashion/watches-women-clubs-dubai.html> are forming their own watch clubs.

Earlier this month, the US House of Representatives<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/us/politics/house-passes-violence-against-women-act.html> voted to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act, a law that aims to prevent domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking.

Ari Wegner, director of photography for “The Power of the Dog,” could make Oscar history<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/14/movies/power-of-the-dog-cinematographer.html> as the first woman to win best cinematography.

Events & Opportunities

  1.  Apply to be an ACLS Leading Edge Fellow (apply by March 28th!)
  2.  Attend the Womxn Leading Social Change Conference (March 29th)
  3.  Attend a tech talk hosted by the Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership Program (March 31st)
  4.  Sign up for the 2022 MIT Masters, PhD, & Postdoc Career Fair (March 31st  - April 1st)
  5.  Attend a public speaking workshop hosted by Graduate Womxn in Biology (April 4th)
  6.  Attend the 2022 MIT Biotech Group Career Fair (April 8th)
  7.  Apply for summer internships with MIT Dive into Healthcare Innovation and Venture Exploration Program (internships starting June 6th)
  8.  Job opportunity at Magrathea (apply now!)
  9.  Attend the Society of Health Policy Young Professionals’ SDOH Summit
  10. Sign up for the Spring 2022 workshop series for the Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership
  11. Become a gwaMIT Department Rep!

  1.  Apply to be an ACLS Leading Edge Fellow
In Spring 2022, ACLS will place 20 PhDs as Leading Edge Fellows, to join social justice organizations for two-year fellowships. This year, our host organizations include the Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta, Restore Justice, Operation Shoestring and more.
Fellows receive stipends of $62,500 in the first year, $65,000 in the second, plus health insurance, and professional development funding. Fellowships begin in September 2022, and there are some fully remote opportunities available. The application consists of a résumé, cover letter, professional references, and an application questionnaire. (No reference letters are required.)
Applicants must have a PhD in the humanities or humanistic social sciences conferred between September 1, 2017, and September 1, 2022. Applicants must be authorized to work legally in the United States. Applications will be accepted only through the ACLS online application system and must be submitted by March 28, 2022 at 9pm EST. Applicants should not contact any of the organizations directly. Please visit https://www.acls.org/Competitions-and-Deadlines/Leading-Edge-Fellowships for a complete list of host organizations and positions, eligibility criteria, and application information. This program is made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

  1.  Attend the Womxn Leading Social Change Conference
Womxn of many identities around the world create change every day. Too often, these womxn must face misogyny, systemic oppression, and many other forces that they must overcome. We are thrilled to create a space to celebrate many Womxn who have led social change movements and efforts across the greater Boston area. Join us for a series of events this month to celebrate Womxn Leading Social Change! See below for the dates and registration links.
Workshop:
March 29th, 2022 6 – 7PM EST
Register here<https://engage.mit.edu/SOLE/rsvp_boot?id=911699>.

  1.  Attend a tech talk hosted by the Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership Program
When: March 31st, 2022 6:30 – 8PM EST
Where: 35-225
Details: Join us for a conversation with Dr. Steve Projan ‘74 is a consultant and scientific advisor to the biopharmaceutical industry primarily focusing in infectious disease research. Dr. Projan was the Head of Infectious Diseases & Vaccines Innovative Medicines unit (iMED) at MedImmune, leading a cross-functional team dedicated to the therapeutic area strategy, prioritization and advancement of the company’s infectious disease and vaccine portfolio. Dr. Projan joined MedImmune in 2010 as senior vice president of research and development and head of the Infectious Diseases & Vaccines iMED. Prior to joining MedImmune, Dr. Projan served as vice president and global head of Infectious Diseases at Novartis. He previously spent 15 years at Wyeth in roles of increasing responsibility with his last post as vice president and head of Biological Technologies. Prior to Dr. Projan’s work in the industry, he spent 14 years at the Public Health Research Institute and presently has over 120 publications to his credit.
Dr. Projan received a bachelor of science from MIT, masters of arts and philosophy in biological sciences, and a doctorate in molecular genetics from Columbia University.
This talk is being co-sponsored by the Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership Program (GEL) and the Undergraduate Practice Opportunities Program (UPOP).

  1.  Sign up for the 2022 MIT Masters, PhD, & Postdoc Career Fair
In-person: March 31st, 2022 12 – 4PM EST at Johnson Athletics Center
Virtual: April 1st, 2022 1 – 6PM EST
Register for either career fair and see more details, such as which employers are attending, here<https://app.joinhandshake.com/login?utm_campaign=uni_targeted_emails&utm_content=1054462&utm_medium=email&utm_source=mass_mailer>!

  1.  Attend a public speaking workshop hosted by Graduate Womxn in Biology
When: April 4th, 2022 3 – 4PM EST
Where: 68-181
Details: Graduate Womxn in Biology presents the Glass Shards Professional Development Series: A Public Speaking Workshop, featuring Diana Chien from the MIT Communication Lab.
Interested in improving your public speaking skills? Come learn more about giving science presentations, networking, elevator pitches, presenting to non-scientists, and more! Coffee and pastries from Flour Bakery will be provided for attendees!

  1.  Attend the 2022 MIT Biotech Group Career Fair
When: April 8th, 2022
Where: virtual
Details: Are you a Graduate or Undergraduate Student, Post-Doc, MBA, or Medical Student looking to connect with recruiters in the biotechnology space? We invite you to join us for the 2022 MIT Biotech Group Career Fair event on Friday, April 8th, 2022! This 1-day, all-virtual career fair provides a platform for hundreds of students from MIT and beyond to connect with companies across the biotech community.
Last year, we hosted over 70 companies and 700 attendees in the largest biotech-focused career fair at MIT. During the fair, company reps will meet attendees at virtual booths on the online conferencing platform Remo. Throughout the day, our gold sponsor companies will facilitate presentations on a variety of educational and career-related topics in the biotech sector.
Receive access to the Fair and all information necessary to prepare by registering today<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2022-mit-biotech-group-virtual-career-fair-registration-274465883847>. Use this form<https://mitbiotechgroup.typeform.com/to/qzaSHDUA> to upload your resume for the Resume Book that will be made available to the companies in attendance. Visit our website<https://www.mbgcareerfair2022.org/> to learn more about the schedule for the day and see the list of companies who attended last year.
The MBG Career Fair is free and open to all current MIT Students, Trainees, Affiliates, & Alumni as well as all members of the broader biotech community.
Reach out to us at mbgcareerfair at mit.edu<mailto:mbgcareerfair at mit.edu> for any inquiries. Our Fair is organized in collaboration with the MIT Departments of Biology, Biological Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Brain & Cognitive Sciences, Computational & Systems Biology, and the Institute for Medical Engineering & Science at MIT along with the Harvard-MIT department of Health Sciences & Technology.​

  1.  Apply for summer internships with MIT Dive into Healthcare Innovation and Venture Exploration Program
MIT Dive into Healthcare Innovation and Venture Exploration Program (DHIVE) [pronounced “dive”]
A Deep Dive into Healthcare Entrepreneurship
8-week Summer Internship Program June 6 – July 29, 2022
Applications are open now and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Apply now!<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScf0g2xfbf70xXkyp7DQx2TgHyH1yeOlaBuGAjvSA1tUvA_zw/viewform>
MIT Sandbox is launching another exciting program focused on healthcare entrepreneurship! MIT DHIVE Summer 2022<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive>  invites undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in healthcare entrepreneurship to apply for an 8-week (6/6-7/29) sponsored internship program:
- Learn more about the needs and challenges of urgent health issues from the experts in the field
- Engage in ideation and team formation activities
- Transform ideas into viable solutions

DHIVE summer 2022 healthcare tracks:

  *   Down Syndrome and Similar Disabilities<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive-down-syndrome> enhance the lives of people with Down Syndrome and different intellectual abilities or challenges; offered in partnership with the MIT Deshpande Center
  *   Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive-ibd> - empower patients and transform the approach to the maintenance of chronic diseases; offered in partnership with the MIT Center for Microbiome Informatics and Therapeutics
  *   Long Covid and Lyme Disease<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive-long-covid-lyme> – develop novel methods and technologies to address the range of issues caused by chronic infectious diseases
  *   Catalyst Health-Tech Innovation<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive-catalyst> – collaborate with Catalyst innovation teams to advance entrepreneurial health-tech projects, and engage with a diverse, international network of health care and technology leaders; a partnership with the MIT linQ Catalyst program.

Program highlights:

  *   8-week program June 6 - July 29
  *   Participation options:
     *   Paid Internship:
        *   Degree-seeking MIT graduate and undergraduate students from any department who can commit at least 20 hours/week.
        *   MIT graduate students on RAship who can devote 10 hours per week.
     *   Unpaid Internship:
        *   Anyone interested in biomedical innovation who is able to devote at least 10 hours per week.
        *   We welcome post-docs, non-MIT students, and non-students
  *   Educational talks focused on the challenges and unmet needs related to the DHIVE track
  *   Entrepreneurship-focused workshops and mentorship
  *   Opportunity to continue in MIT Sandbox<https://sandbox.mit.edu/> in the Fall.

Apply now!<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScf0g2xfbf70xXkyp7DQx2TgHyH1yeOlaBuGAjvSA1tUvA_zw/viewform>
Want to learn more?

  *   Visit DHIVE website<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive>
  *   Register for Info Session on Apr 1, 12 pm<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/290594404687>
  *   Email dhive-ops at mit.edu<mailto:dhive-ops at mit.edu> with your questions

  1.  Job Opportunity at Magrathea
The start-up Magrathea, which is focused on the production of structural metals that can be effectively decarbonized through electrification and novel process technologies, is hiring<https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1022442950/?fbclid=IwAR1MmP5VR4rZgnsv5Z__doAI6Fz1uoW8BXjzzL-A62hOmvi0bOSyj1LmQhU>! They are looking for someone to fill a technical role in Ann Arbor, MI. In particular, someone with experience designing, constructing, and/or operating lab and pilot scale processes and/or who is familiar with inorganic chemistry, gas-phase chemistry, catalysis, salt chemistry, metallurgy, alloy technology, or other structural metals would be ideal.

  1.  Attend the Society of Health Policy Young Professionals’ SDOH Summit
Join the Society of Health Policy Young Professionals (SHPYP<http://dchealthpolicy.org/>) throughout the month of March 2022 as part of our “SDOH Summit: Evidence into Action.” Our “SDOH Summit” includes six events over the course of March, featuring virtual policy panels on key topics, a community service event, and an in-person networking event. The panels will explore how to catalyze knowledge and evidence on social determinants of health (SDOH) into action and policy. There will be no cost for event attendance and all sessions will be open to the public, members, and non-members alike.
Our Keynote Speaker is former HHS Secretary Donna Shalala, and our other events feature great speakers, such as Sarah Lichtman Spector, the CMS Director of Medicaid Eligibility Policy, Orriel Richardson of Morgan Health, and Dr. Rebekah Rollston from the Cambridge Health Alliance! You can learn more about all of our summit events and register here<http://dchealthpolicy.org/events/#!event-list>.
SHPYP (pronounced SHIP-YIP) is a 501(c)3 non-profit, non-partisan, volunteer-led organization dedicated to providing networking and professional development opportunities for young professionals in health policy. SHPYP boasts over 300 members who range in experience level, policy focus, and industry type. Despite the diversity of our career paths, a passion for health policy is something we all have in common. Any questions please email communications at dchealthpolicy.org<mailto:communications at dchealthpolicy.org>.

  1.  Sign up for the Spring 2022 workshop series for the Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership
Workshop 3 – Wednesday March 30, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144
Focus of the workshop will be on decision making processes in engineering projects
By Bryan Moser, Senior Lecturer, Systems Design Management

Workshop 4 – Thursday April 14, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144
Project Management Methodologies Part I
By Jin Wu, Lecturer, Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership
In this two-part series of workshops, we will look at an overview of different project management practices that are used in the industry. This includes Waterfall, Agile (overall), Scrum, LEAN, Six Sigma, and Spiral. This is a good crash course for students that have little or no exposure to project management methodologies. It can also be a good overview for students that are already familiar with one or more methodologies and are curious about the other methodologies.
Workshop 1 will focus on Waterfall vs. Agile (overall), and Scrum. Sessions are independent and you do not need to attend both.

Workshop 5 - Thursday April 21, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144
Project Management Methodologies Part II
By Jin Wu, Lecturer, Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership
In this two-part series of workshops, we will look at an overview of different project management practices that are used in the industry. This includes Waterfall, Agile (overall), Scrum, LEAN, Six Sigma, and Spiral. This is a good crash course for students that have little or no exposure to project management methodologies. It can also be a good overview for students that are already familiar with one or more methodologies and are curious about the other methodologies.
Workshop 2 will focus on LEAN, Six Sigma, and Spiral. Sessions are independent and you do not need to attend both.

Workshop 6 - Thursday May 5, 2022, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144 and/or zoom
Taking charge of new roles after graduation
By David Niño and recent graduates of our program, including Funmilola Asa, Dhanush Durai Mariappan, Alison Olechowski, and Jeg Sithamparathas
Are you prepared to hit-the-ground running after graduation? Learning how to “take charge” of new roles is an important leadership capability and this final workshop will help you build this skill. It is intended for graduating students but all are welcome.  We will be joined by four alumni of our program who will share experiences transitioning to their roles and also address your questions. These include:

  *   Funmilola Asa, Leading Performance/Digital Advisor, Chevron
  *    Dhanush Durai Mariappan, Senior Engineer at GE Research
  *   Alison Olechowski, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Dean’s Spark Professor, University of Toronto
  *    Jeg Sithamparathas, Lead Product Manager, Workspace Search, Google

  1.  Become a gwaMIT department rep!
gwaMIT is accepting applications for the position of department representatives! As a gwaMIT department rep, you'll build connections across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and responsibilities here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>. Fill out the short application form here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>. Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are encouraged to apply. The departments with openings are: Architecture, EECS, ChemE, PolSci, HASTS, Humanities, NSE, CTL, CCWCE, CMS, CSB, MAS, CRE. If the position is currently filled, but you are still interested in being involved with gwaMIT, email us to let us know! We have multiple avenues for engagement in gwaMIT's activities and initiatives.

“Strong women don’t have ‘attitudes,’ we have standards.”
-Marilyn Monroe