[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Newsletter: February 7, 2022

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Feb 7 10:47:38 EST 2022

gwaMIT Newsletter
February 7th, 2022

Become a member of the gwaMIT Executive Board!
Want to get involved with gwaMIT, build your network, and collaborate with an incredible community of womxn graduate students? Apply to be part of the 2021-2022 gwaMIT Executive Board! We are currently focused on recruiting for the Conference, Membership, and Outreach Chair positions. The application form is available here<https://forms.gle/D5rUT277SfCmxrxA7>. There is a link to the official descriptions in the application form.

Sign up to help organize the 2022 gwaMIT Leadership Conference!
We are currently accepting sign-ups to help plan our annual Leadership Conference, which will be held from April 11th to April 15th:

  *   Co-Chairs: Conference Co-Chairs lead the committee members, set the conference theme, and oversee all general planning of the conference
  *   Event Leads: each conference has 4-5 Event Leads who each spearhead a single event (either an invited speaker, a panel, a workshop, etc.)
  *   Committee Members: attend regular meetings, contribute to theme brainstorming, logistics, publicity, and volunteer during events
Please contact the gwaMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu> if you have any questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous conferences and events on our website: https://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit/. We look forward to working with you!
Sign up here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScnPD-bdcqRDKmtl1nL7ylOk89zMupcCQB4AiocnmiedFqpRA/viewform>!

Help gwaMIT choose a slogan for the 2022 Leadership Conference!
We are organizing our annual gwaMIT Spring Leadership Conference from April 11th to April 15th. Please vote for your favorite slogans here<https://poll.ly/#/Lm6Rm4nG> or submit your own!

Did you know? Womxn-related news from around the world

Phyllis Oakley, a female pioneer<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/29/us/politics/phyllis-oakley-dead.html> at the State Department, has died at the age of 87.

Nancy Kanwisher<https://news.mit.edu/2022/nancy-kanwisher-wins-national-academy-sciences-award-neurosciences-0131>, a professor of neuroscience in MIT’s Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, has received the 2022 National Academy of Sciences Award in the Neurosciences.

Sports reporter Robin Herman has died; as a hockey reporter for The New York Times, she shattered gender barriers<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/02/sports/hockey/robin-herman-dead.html> when she became one of the first female journalists to enter a men’s professional locker room in North America.

Meet some of the players<https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/02/03/sports/olympics/us-womens-hockey-team.html> of the US Olympic women’s hockey team!

Events & Opportunities

  1.  Sign up for Galentine’s Day Ice Skating with WiP and HGWISE (sign up by February 7th)
  2.  Apply for MIT’s Science Policy Initiative 2022 Congressional Visit Days (apply by February 9th!)
  3.  Attend Illumina’s Virtual February Speaker Series (starting February 10th)
  4.  Attend a Non-Academic Career Panel for PhDs and Postdocs (February 25th)
  5.  Submit an abstract for the 2022 MIT Microbiome Symposium (apply by March 11th!)
  6.  Sign up for the Spring 2022 workshop series for the Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership
  7.  Job Opportunity in the Department of Biomedical Informatics at Harvard Medical School
  8.  Job Opportunities at Generally Intelligent (apply now!)
  9.  Become a gwaMIT Department Rep!

  1.  Sign up for Galentine’s Day Ice Skating with WiP and HGWISE
When: February 11th, 2022 5:30PM (sign up by 11:59AM on February 7th)
Where: 401 Park (Landmark/Time Out Market)
Details: Join Women in Physics and Harvard Graduate Women in Science and Engineering for a fun evening of ice skating! Tickets and ice skate rentals will be provided.

  1.  Apply for MIT’s Science Policy Initiative 2022 Congressional Visit Days
Do you care about science policy and are interested in meeting with your congressional representatives?
Apply for MIT Science Policy Initiative’s Congressional Visit Days (CVD) 2022! This year’s advocacy event is scheduled for April 4th and 5th.
COVID-19 has impacted all facets of our lives. In addition to the impact on our personal and collective health, it has also been a large disruption to our academic careers and the state of science. Federal funding is critical to basic science research and plays a major part in our response to the pandemic for both research and career continuity.
Through a seminar series in collaboration with the MIT Washington Office, you will learn how to schedule and lead constituent meetings with your Senators and Representatives and communicate to our nation's lawmakers how critical scientific research is to our lives and education, as well as how COVID-19 has affected the lives of scientists and the status of research. No prior experience with policy or advocacy is required. SPI will support meal reimbursement during the preparation sessions. All training sessions will be virtual.
Your constituent meetings will take place on April 5th, with travel to DC and trainings on April 4th, and are currently planned to be in-person in Washington, D.C. We are prepared to shift entirely virtual closer to the event depending on the status of COVID-19 cases. All participants must comply with MIT’s vaccination and booster requirements.
Apply now - space is limited! The event is open to all MIT undergraduate*, graduate students, and postdocs. The application deadline is February 9th at 5 PM EST. Apply here<https://forms.gle/BHVRSjfo33HNazCi8>
*Due to funding sources, there are limited spots for undergraduates.
Contact Becca Black (rblack at mit.edu<mailto:rblack at mit.edu>) or Tess Carter (tscarter at mit.edu<mailto:tscarter at mit.edu>) with questions.

  1.  Attend Illumina’s Virtual February Speaker Series
Advocating for Yourself in the Workplace
February 10th, 2022 2 – 3PM EST
Join the Illumina team to learn about self-advocacy in the workplace and how to effectively communicate your professional needs to achieve your goals. Register here<https://illumina.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_xlbeTYV2TJ6pJogPyni2zw>!
Day in the Life
February 17th, 2022 2 – 3PM EST
Hear from a panel of Illumina engineers and scientists as they share the day to day of their roles. Live Q&A to follow! Register here<https://illumina.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_O3NEk228SAiplewnoSBv6w>!
ERG Diversity Panel
February 24, 2022 2 – 3PM Est
Learn more about Illumina’s commitment to diversity and inclusion from employee resource group (ERG) representatives from iLatinx, Women at Illumina Network, iServed, and more. Register here<https://illumina.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_NpLmdLvFRdm9jC75pJNzxA>!

  1.  Attend a Non-Academic Career Panel for PhDs and Postdocs
When: February 25th, 2022 3 – 4PM EST
Where: virtual
Details: Learn about a variety of roles and career paths for PhDs outside of the professoriate. Get insight and advice on how to apply your skills and conduct a job search outside of academia. Register here<https://capd.mit.edu/events/2022/02/25/non-academic-career-panel-for-phds-and-postdocs/?lor=10&utm_source=mass_mailer&utm_medium=email&utm_content=1017888&utm_campaign=uni_targeted_emails>!

  1.  Submit an abstract for the 2022 MIT Microbiome Symposium
The MIT Center for Microbiome Informatics and Therapeutics and the MIT Microbiome Club are proud to invite you to participate in our annual MIT Microbiome Symposium to be held on Friday, April 29, 2022 from 10 am-5 pm at the MIT Media Lab (E15). Abstract submission is officially open!
The symposium will feature talks from established and young investigators, poster sessions, industry representatives, and a networking social to close the symposium. For more details, please check out our website<http://microbiome2022.wordpress.com/>. This year we are proud to host Dr. Gretchen Diehl<https://www.mskcc.org/research/ski/labs/gretchen-diehl> (Memorial Sloan Kettering) and Dr. Elizabeth Johnson<https://www.johnsonlab.nutrition.cornell.edu/> (Cornell University) as our two keynote speakers.

To participate in the event:
1.       Submit an abstract!<https://microbiome2022.wordpress.com/abstract-submissions/> Abstracts can be considered for either a flash talk or poster. Posters will also participate in our annual poster competition. Deadline for submission: March 11th, 2022.
2.       Registration (free!) will open in March. Details on registering can be found here<https://microbiome2022.wordpress.com/registration/> on March 1st.
3.       Please tell others about this event! Feel free to circulate this email to others who might be interested.
Please contact cmit.microbiome at gmail.com<mailto:cmit.microbiome at gmail.com> with any questions or inquiries.
Your participation in this symposium is free. Our goal is to showcase the diverse opportunities available in the field of microbiome science, and we hope that you can join us!

  1.  Sign up for the Spring 2022 workshop series for the Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership
Workshop 1 – Tuesday, February 15, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144
World-Class R&D for Geographically Distributed Markets
By Reza Rahaman, Bernard M. Gordon Industry Co-Director and senior lecturer
This workshop gives a high-level view of where R&D fits, strategically and organizationally within the enterprise. It takes a look at some of the issues in operating across cultures and highlights how cultural differences may lead to product development solutions that optimize for different value equations. This is brought to life by a group exercise that looks at developing a simple cleaning product across two geographies.
Register here for this workshop now  https://forms.gle/6bkfcbycytr5CG1c7

Workshop 2 – Wednesday, March 2 from 5-7pm, Room 32-144
Leading at the intersection of management and engineering
By Joan Rubin, Executive Director, MIT Systems Design Management
Engineers and technologists build their credibility and reputation within organizations as problem solvers, but many struggle to translate that subject matter expertise into leadership roles across the enterprise. This workshop will examine skills that need to be honed to understand the business trade-offs in technical decisions and successful communication strategies to build “respect” in leading at the intersection of engineering and management. Students will participate in a case-type study evaluating R&D investment in a medical device organization.

Workshop 3 – Wednesday March 30, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144
Focus of the workshop will be on decision making processes in engineering projects
By Bryan Moser, Senior Lecturer, Systems Design Management

Workshop 4 – Thursday April 14, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144
Project Management Methodologies Part I
By Jin Wu, Lecturer, Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership
In this two-part series of workshops, we will look at an overview of different project management practices that are used in the industry. This includes Waterfall, Agile (overall), Scrum, LEAN, Six Sigma, and Spiral. This is a good crash course for students that have little or no exposure to project management methodologies. It can also be a good overview for students that are already familiar with one or more methodologies and are curious about the other methodologies.
Workshop 1 will focus on Waterfall vs. Agile (overall), and Scrum. Sessions are independent and you do not need to attend both.

Workshop 5 - Thursday April 21, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144
Project Management Methodologies Part II
By Jin Wu, Lecturer, Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership
In this two-part series of workshops, we will look at an overview of different project management practices that are used in the industry. This includes Waterfall, Agile (overall), Scrum, LEAN, Six Sigma, and Spiral. This is a good crash course for students that have little or no exposure to project management methodologies. It can also be a good overview for students that are already familiar with one or more methodologies and are curious about the other methodologies.
Workshop 2 will focus on LEAN, Six Sigma, and Spiral. Sessions are independent and you do not need to attend both.

Workshop 6 - Thursday May 5, 2022, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144 and/or zoom
Taking charge of new roles after graduation
By David Niño and recent graduates of our program, including Funmilola Asa, Dhanush Durai Mariappan, Alison Olechowski, and Jeg Sithamparathas
Are you prepared to hit-the-ground running after graduation? Learning how to “take charge” of new roles is an important leadership capability and this final workshop will help you build this skill. It is intended for graduating students but all are welcome.  We will be joined by four alumni of our program who will share experiences transitioning to their roles and also address your questions. These include:

  *   Funmilola Asa, Leading Performance/Digital Advisor, Chevron
  *    Dhanush Durai Mariappan, Senior Engineer at GE Research
  *   Alison Olechowski, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Dean’s Spark Professor, University of Toronto
  *    Jeg Sithamparathas, Lead Product Manager, Workspace Search, Google

  1.  Job Opportunity in the Department of Biomedical Informatics at Harvard Medical School
The Department of Biomedical Informatics<https://dbmi.hms.harvard.edu/> at Harvard Medical School is hiring a Lecturer in Biomedical Informatics<https://dbmi.hms.harvard.edu/careers/faculty/lecturer-biomedical-informatics> to support the educational mission of its Master of Biomedical Informatics program.
The responsibilities of the Lecturer in Biomedical Informatics include teaching, leading the MBI capstone experience, curriculum development, and participation in student affairs activities such as mentoring and career advising. If interested, the successful candidate is welcome to develop their own research projects or participate in ongoing research in the Department of Biomedical Informatics.
The Lecturer will be part of a diverse team of biomedical informatics faculty, researchers, and administrators and will work closely with a dedicated education team. They will report to the Program Director of the Master of Biomedical Informatics and will be appointed as Lecturer at Harvard Medical School. The initial appointment will be for one year and can be extended. The salary range for this position will be at the level of a starting Assistant Professor.
Basic Qualifications

  *   Doctoral degree in a relevant field, such as biomedical informatics, bioinformatics, medical informatics, computational biology, computer science, data science, or (bio)statistics
  *   Aptitude teaching introductory classes
  *   Experience and/or strong interest in the application of quantitative methods to biological sciences
Additional Qualifications

  *   Ability to effectively track details regarding day-to-day and longer-term initiatives
  *   Strong comfort with technology and the ability to self-teach programs and processes that are not part of the current skill set. Familiarity with some of the following programs and processes would be helpful: online learning platforms (Canvas, Panopto), website editing (Drupal, HTML)
  *   Ability to demonstrate leadership, program management, and strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
  *   Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in cooperation with a diverse constituency, from administrative staff to students and faculty
How to Apply
Candidates should submit an expression of interest, their CV, a detailed teaching statement, a diversity statement, a brief research statement (optional), and contact information of three references to Dr. Lilen Uchima, DBMI Associate Director of Education at Lilen_Uchima at hms.harvard.edu<mailto:Lilen_Uchima at hms.harvard.edu> with [LECTURER] in the subject.

  1.  Job Opportunities at Generally Intelligent
Kanjun Qui, a former MIT student, runs an AI research company called Generally Intelligent<https://generallyintelligent.ai/>, and they have opportunities for graduate students and postdocs! Generally Intelligent is hiring<https://generallyintelligent.ai/#careers> a small number of in-person ML Research Engineers and remote Systems Engineers. Previous ML experience is not required, but strong software engineering skills are. Generally Intelligent is a research startup investigating the fundamentals of deep learning to build human-like general intelligence. They take a scientific, first-principles approach with inspiration from psychology and neuroscience, evolving simple self-supervised architectures to tackle human developmental milestones of increasing complexity. They have significant funding to freely pursue our research goals over the next decade. If you’re a strong software engineer fascinated by this subject, please email Kanjun Qui at kanjun at generallyintelligent.ai<mailto:kanjun at generallyintelligent.ai>

  1.  Become a gwaMIT department rep!
gwaMIT is accepting applications for the position of department representatives! As a gwaMIT department rep, you'll build connections across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and responsibilities here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>. Fill out the short application form here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>. Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are encouraged to apply. The departments with openings are: Architecture, EECS, ChemE, PolSci, HASTS, Humanities, NSE, CTL, CCWCE, CMS, CSB, MAS, CRE. If the position is currently filled, but you are still interested in being involved with gwaMIT, email us to let us know! We have multiple avenues for engagement in gwaMIT's activities and initiatives.

“Don’t be intimidated by what you don’t know. That can be your greatest strength and ensure that you do things differently from everyone else.”
-Sara Blakely