[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Newsletter: March 8, 2021

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Mar 8 14:57:29 EST 2021

gwaMIT Newsletter

March 8th, 2021

Happy International Womxn’s Day!

gwaMIT Healthcare Awareness Series

When: March 22 - 26, 2021
Details: We’re excited to announce that we will be holding a healthcare awareness series this month during the week of March 22nd - March 26th! There will be three panels, each one during a certain day of the week (exact dates TBD); these panels will focus on sexual and reproductive health, LGBTQ health and mental health, and community healthcare specifically focusing on work being done to address racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare and improving health equity. We have an exciting lineup of speakers from healthcare workers at MIT as well as in the greater Boston area, and the sessions will be interactive with many chances to ask questions and engage in discussion. Lunch will be reimbursed and the sessions will be from 12-1 pm. Further details will follow in the next newsletter, but if you’re interested, please RSVP here!

https://forms.gle/RaMtNAvm7JQTFdSs5

Save the date: 2021 gwaMIT Leadership Conference

We are currently working hard to plan our annual Leadership Conference, which will be held virtually from April 5th to April 9th. Make sure to save the date in your calendars!

Joint event with Healthy Masculinities: Building healthy work environments
At our upcoming virtual gwaMIT Leadership Conference (April 5-9, 2021), we will be hosting a joint event with DUSP Healthy Masculinities to discuss and learn more about how to build healthy work environments for women and other marginalized identities, and the roles that men can play in that.

To help us shape this event, we invite you to share your own experiences with hostile or healthy workplace/lab cultures in this brief anonymous form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDyXm4sDmXeGHN71-lGz2lcfq_r44WWzID8sUKtcoaVtIzAA/viewform?usp=sf_link>. Questions/comments? Please email them to gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>. The form will close on Monday, March 22nd.

Building a Supportive Community for LBGTQ+ People

When: April 21st 7-8 PM EST via Zoom
What: What can we do to help create a community that is supportive of LBGTQ+ people? Join other graduate womxn at MIT in this discussion, facilitated by Nina Foushee, graduate assistant for LBGTQ+ services at MIT. In the RSVP form you can include specific questions or scenarios that you’d like to explore during the discussion. The first 15 people to sign-up will have the option to receive a book from MIT’s office of LBGTQ+ services. Dinner will be reimbursed (tax excluded) up to $10 for the first 50 sign ups. Please RSVP here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeWn09SMY9sZ3IEaMB5RUdz0z8pp94lmsKgr3zcsvq70wJmuQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>.

Post Doc and Graduate Student Recruitment for gwaMIT Black Womxn in Science Panel

When: April 30, 2021 12-1:15 PM

Details: gwaMIT is organizing an event to highlight Black Womxn in science at MIT and beyond -- this will be in the form of a panel with faculty, industry professionals, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students. The event will be held on Friday April 30 from 12 PM to 1:15 PM ET. We are hoping to have 1-2 post doctoral fellows and 1-2 graduate students share their experience at MIT. During this panel, there will be a brief introduction by the panelists followed by small breakout rooms where each panelist will be in a group with ~5 graduate students for questions and discussion. Lunch will be reimbursed.

If you are interested in participating and/or have suggestions for this event, please reach out via email to gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>. In addition, if you think a friend of yours would be interested you can nominate them by emailing us or forward them this information so that they can contact us if interested.

Meet the Department Reps!

[cid:099C7ACB-F5B3-4791-AC6E-CEDC71291754 at hsd1.ma.comcast.net.] Carina Aiello Belvin / Physics

Please tell us about your research interests. My research is in the field of experimental condensed matter physics. I investigate the nonequilibrium dynamics of quantum materials using ultrafast terahertz spectroscopy. Specifically, I focus on revealing low-energy collective excitations in strongly correlated electron systems.

Who is your favorite womxn from history or the present times, and why? I am inspired by Millie Dresselhaus, the late Institute Professor Emerita of MIT. Known as the “queen of carbon science,” Millie made important discoveries in condensed matter physics during a time when there were very few women in the field. She was also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the National Medal of Science.

What do you like about being a gwaMIT Rep? I enjoy being able to connect with womxn's groups in other departments at MIT and learn about new initiatives they are pursuing. It has also been a great way to establish collaborations that lead to fun joint events.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D7142B.5ADD49C0]Jennifer Gubner/AeroAstro

Please tell us about your research interests. I am a second year Master’s student in the Aero Astro department studying space systems engineering. My specific research interests include cubesat development for space-based astronomy missions as well as modeling and simulation for larger space telescope missions.

Who is your favorite womxn from history or the present times, and why? I think my favorite woman from history is Sally Ride. I have wanted to be an astronaut since I was a little kid and she was such a great role model and inspiration growing up.

What do you like about being a gwaMIT Rep? I like being a gwaMIT rep because I get to connect with people from many different departments at MIT. I get to share ideas and perspectives with people from groups that I wouldn’t necessarily speak with. This allows me to hear what other groups have done to engage their graduate students and bring those interesting ideas back to my department.

Did you know? Womxn-related news from around the world

ACS is celebrating African American chemists with interviews of amazing scientists<https://axial.acs.org/archive/?tag=bhm2021&utm_source=pubs_content_marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PUBS_0221_MFH_PUBS_0221_MFH_BHM_Newsletter&src=PUBS_0221_MFH_PUBS_0221_MFH_BHM_Newsletter&ref=pubs_content_marketing_email_PUBS_0221_MFH_PUBS_0221_MFH_BHM_Newsletter> in the field!

A new study featured in the MIT News<https://news.mit.edu/2021/covid-19-communications-featuring-racially-diverse-physicians-can-improve-health-outcomes-0222> discusses how public health messages with racially diverse physicians can improve outcomes for people of color who have been disproportionately influenced by COVID-19.

Chemical & Engineering News recently released a special issue on Black Trailblazers<https://cen.acs.org/careers/diversity/Trailblazers-2021-We-have-been-here-all-along/99/i6>, featuring Black chemists and chemical engineers, some of whom are professors and researchers at MIT!

Chinese-American nuclear physicist, Chien-Shiung Wu, is being honored with a US Postal Service stamp<https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/02/postage-stamp-honor-female-physicist-who-many-say-should-have-won-nobel-prize?utm_campaign=SciMag&utm_source=JHubbard&utm_medium=Facebook> commemorating her contributions to the field.

Events & Opportunities

  1.  WiSTEM2D International Event (Mar. 9th)
  2.  U.N. Perspective Series: Gender Equality & International Women's Day (Mar. 9th)
  3.  HGWISE and HGWISEGUYS Bias in Science Discussion (Mar. 10th)
  4.  $25K Pear Competition (apply by Mar. 15th)
  5.  Black Feminist Health Science Studies Symposium (Mar. 18th)
  6.  MIT Biotech Group Career Fair (Mar. 19th)
  7.  Forum for Equity: Women’s Leadership in Higher Education (Mar. 24th)
  8.  Upcoming BCG Events and Opportunities (apply now!)
  9.  Spring Programs at the MIT Museum
  10. Engineering Positions Open at Ouster (apply now!)
  11. Grad Workshops in Technical Leadership (Spring 2021)
  12. Spring 2021 LEAPS Courses (sign up today!)
  13. CS jobs in MIT Digital Humanities Lab for Graduate / MEng Students (apply today!)
  14. AI Teaching and Curriculum Internship at Inspirit AI: Summer 2021 (sign up now!)
  15. "Amplify Your Technical Education to Build a Better World!” (sign up now!)
  16. Become a gwaMIT Department Rep!

  1.  WiSTEM2D International Event

March 9th, 5PM GMT

To mark International Women’s Day, WiSTEM University College Cork are organising a WiSTEM2D Idea’s forum with Johnson&Johnson. The premise is to organise an event with universities globally to make connections and discuss how we promote the ideas of WiSTEM2D at our individual universities, as well as how we challenge gender stereotypes in our day-to-day situations. There is particular interest in the discussion centring on how we have established a large WiSTEM society here in UCC and how a similar approach could be taken in MIT.

We would be interested in students/staff who are enthusiastic about women in STEM and who could learn something from the discussion, as well as bringing their own ideas to it, to attend. The idea would be that after the event, this is used to establish a more prominent WiSTEM community on your campus & build a stronger connection with MIT & UCC.

Registration link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSel7R7Zh1rZL5iL5zY6ipjQAZxcjOTPWYCndz5rQtulU8BY5g/viewform?usp=sf_link

  1.  U.N. Perspective Series: Gender Equality & International Women's Day

Tuesday, March 9, 2021
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.  |   Panel Discussion
12:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.  |   Breakout Rooms

Register:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/un-perspective-series-gender-equality-international-womens-day-21-registration-133140602125?aff=PartnerMarketing&mc_cid=10d694ca34&mc_eid=UNIQID

  1.  HGWISE and HGWISEGUYS Bias in Science Discussion

HGWISE and HGWISEGUYS are hosting a discussion about bias in science on Wednesday March 10 at 12pm EST over Zoom.

To keep up with current events, we will be talking about two very recent articles regarding the impact of COVID-19 on women in academia, which are attached and linked below.

A Science article was also written recently (linked below), which summarizes these and other recent findings. We hope you will join us in the discussion!

RSVP: https://forms.gle/8gSAKBUCCQf4uVBj7

Zoom link: https://harvard.zoom.us/j/93856970308?pwd=Q2RoRlhIYkFDbm5xdzRIek9HS3ZzQT09

********

Articles:

(1) https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2021/02/pandemic-hit-academic-mothers-especially-hard-new-data-confirm?utm_campaign=news_daily_2021-02-09&et_rid=553933509&et_cid=3660931

(2) https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w28360/w28360.pdf

(3) https://www.pnas.org/content/118/6/e2023476118

  1.  $25K Pear Competition

Do you need $25K to help launch your startup?

Apply here<https://www.pear.vc/competition> to the Pear Competition for MIT. Winning teams will each be awarded a $25K uncapped SAFE.

No idea is too early to be considered. We’re seeking dedicated founders with big ambitions. Pear Accelerator can also be applied for through the same form for early decisions.

Application deadline March 15th. Email jessmulv at mit.edu<mailto:jessmulv at mit.edu> or ckleiter at mit.edu<mailto:ckleiter at mit.edu> with any questions.

About Pear

As founders, the Pear team has built eight companies and we share that hands-on experience with the next generation. As investors, we have been fortunate to partner early with companies now valued at over $80B, including Doordash, Branch, Gusto, and Guardant Health.

Our strong belief in student founders is demonstrated by 49% of our portfolio companies being founded by students. Over the past seven years, we have formed a machine to support students who are building the next wave of category-defining companies.

Pear partners with 15 preseed stage startups per year through the exclusive Pear Accelerator and also invests up to $3M in seed stage startups. The Accelerator program helps you to build the foundations of a multi-billion dollar company and to raise a multi-million dollar seed round. We provide funding, recruitment support, product & growth mentorship, and a demo day attended by many hundreds of Silicon Valley’s top investors. You can learn more about how we support founders here<https://www.pear.vc/whyus>.

  1.  Black Feminist Health Science Studies Symposium

Join us for the Black Feminist Health Science Studies Symposium<file:///Users/Fiona/Downloads/bit.ly/BFHSSS> organized by our MLK Visiting Professor Moya Bailey.

RSVP: bit.ly/BFHSSS<http://bit.ly/BFHSSS>

Thurs 3/18 from 1 - 5:30pm eastern.

The first Black Feminist Health Science Studies Symposium is an introduction to the field and collective that claim the name.
Join us as we talk about the need to integrate Black feminism into science, medicine, technology, and health.
We hope to see you there!

Confirmed speakers:
Ruha Benjamin, Professor, African American Studies, Princeton University
Harriet Washington, science writer, editor, and medical ethicist
Evelynn Hammonds, Barbara Gutmann Rosenkrantz Professor of the History of Science, Professor, African and African American Studies, Harvard University
Patricia Williams, University Distinguished Professor of Law and Humanities, Northeastern University
Nicole Charles, Assistant Professor, Women and Gender Studies, University of Toronto Mississauga
OmiSoore Dryden, Associate Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University
Adeola Oni-Orisan, MD, PhD, Resident in Family Medicine at University of California
Ugo Edu, Assistant Professor, Department of African American Studies, UCLA
Moya Bailey, Assistant Professor, Africana and Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies, Northeastern University
Whitney Peoples, Director, Educational Development & Assessment Services. Coordinator of DEI Initiatives & Critical Race Pedagogies, University of Michigan
Co-sponsored by Northeastern University and with many thanks to the ICEO!

  1.  MIT Biotech Group Career Fair

The MIT Biotech Group invites you to join us for the inaugural 2021 MIT Biotech Group Career Fair<https://www.mbgcareerfair.org/>

Friday, March 19, 2021

12 - 4 pm EDT

REGISTER TODAY<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2021-mit-biotech-group-virtual-career-fair-registration-142053111681>

During the 1-day virtual career fair, students and trainees in the MIT and biotech community will have opportunities to meet with 50+ companies seeking to connect with local talent. A keynote panel will start off the day, followed by company representatives meeting attendees at virtual booths, and 20-minute gold-sponsor company presentations throughout the afternoon to provide a broad range of educational, networking, and career opportunities related to professional development in the biotech sector.

Are you a Graduate or Undergraduate Student, Post-Doc, MBA, or Medical Student looking to connect with recruiters in the biotechnology space? Receive access to the Fair and all information necessary to prepare by registering today<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2021-mit-biotech-group-virtual-career-fair-registration-142053111681>. Use this form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfFEmOoijdu13gHepo7GtIXohtBAA6A9hHLPS-YMgfXr83ddw/viewform> to upload a PDF of your resume for the Resume Book that will be made available to the companies in attendance. Visit our website<https://www.mbgcareerfair.org/> to learn more about the schedule for the day and see the list of companies currently registered to attend.

The MBG Career Fair is free and open to all current MIT Students, Trainees, Affiliates, & Alumni as well as members of the broader biotech community.

Reach out to us at mbgcareerfair at mit.edu<mailto:mbgcareerfair at mit.edu> for any inquiries.

Our Fair is organized in collaboration with the MIT Departments of Biology, Biological Engineering, and Chemical Engineering, the Program in Health Sciences & Technology, the Institute for Medical Engineering & Science at MIT, and Cell Ag @ MIT.

  1.  Forum for Equity: Women’s Leadership in Higher Education
When: March 24th, 3-4 PM EST

What: MIT president emerita Susan Hockfield, Harvard president emerita Drew Faust, and Wellesley College president Paula Johnson will discuss challenges facing women leading colleges and universities, and offer insights on topics including equity and inclusion on campus. Register here<https://alumic.mit.edu/s/1314/17form/interior.aspx?sid=1314&gid=13&pgid=56001&content_id=63152#_ga=2.88281747.923721297.1613497283-2111951906.1604870424?utm_source=gwamit&utm_medium=partner>.

  1.  Upcoming BCG Events and Opportunities
Bridge to BCG

What: Bridge to BCG<https://www.bcg.com/en-us/careers/students/adc-bridge-to-bcg.aspx> is an immersive workshop experience designed to help ADCs test-drive the BCG project team experience. You will have the opportunity to learn more about BCG and consulting as well as network with BCG consulting staff and other ADC participants interested in consulting.

When: May 24, 2021 to May 27, 2021

Eligibility: The workshop is open to:

  *   PhDs, JDs, and postdocs currently attending US or Canadian schools and looking to start working full-time in late 2021 or in 2022
  *   MDs, MD/MBAs, medical residents/interns, and physicians (who’ve been practicing for less than 5 years), looking to start working full-time between late 2021 and 2023
Apply: Apply here<https://www.bcg.com/en-us/careers/students/adc-bridge-to-bcg> by March 30, 2021

Full-Time Consulting Roles – Start by June 2021

We are currently seeking candidates for our full-time consulting roles that can start full-time between March 2021 and June 2021. We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more and apply here<https://www.bcg.com/en-us/careers/students/adc-application-process>.
Discover Women at BCG

Learn more about Women at BCG firsthand from a panel of Advanced Degree consultants. You will learn about our global best-in-class career development, mentorship, networking programs to help you excel – personally and professionally.

March 23rd at 6:00pm ET

REGISTER HERE<https://talent.bcg.com/Events?folderId=10039945&source=Event>

Life at BCG Panel

Learn more about life at BCG firsthand from a panel of Advanced Degree consultants. We will cover topics such as training, our staffing model and work life balance. You will have the opportunity to submit questions in advance to ensure we provide you with the information that YOU need!

March 15th at 7:00pm ET

REGISTER HERE<https://talent.bcg.com/Events?folderId=10039942&source=Event>

Are you an Advanced degree student at Harvard or MIT? If so, you can soon register for coffee chats & webinars just for Harvard/MIT students. We will share these events by March 1st.

Harvard/MIT Coffee Chats

Chat with a BCG consultant in a small group setting to learn more about consulting and BCG.

Coming soon!

  1.  Spring Programs at the MIT Museum

Movie Nights <https://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=3281996314&e=959266bc83>
Our monthly series, Movie Nights, combines great flicks with lively conversation all from the comfort of your own home. Tonight, we’ll be watching March of the Penguins (2005) with seabird researchers from MIT and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Bring your own popcorn!
Hacking Hour<https://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=747636daaf&e=959266bc83>
Make, tinker, and sip at our 21+ monthly series inspired by the inventive, inquisitive spirit of the classic MIT hack. Guest builders from MIT supply expertise, inspiration, and laughter as we tackle an engineering challenge using simple materials at home, while enjoying an alcoholic or non-alcoholic “hacktail." On March 3, we'll be looking at rubber-band power.
Teen Science Café <https://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=f24b89d3ef&e=959266bc83>
Designed by teens for teens, this event brings together scientists and high-school students to explore new research and discuss what inspires and influences people to pursue careers in STEM. On March 5, we’ll be talking about equity in healthcare with guest speakers from Northeastern University who will share their unique perspectives and experience.
Girls Day<https://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=5e06163038&e=959266bc83>
Offered twice each year, Girls Day celebrates women who are exploring, researching, and innovating in fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). On March 13, meet researchers who study things that may seem icky at first glance, but​ turn out to be fascinating and valuable to science and society. Think slimy secretions, insect larvae, and even poop! All are welcome as we journey from "Eww!" to “Eureka!”
Virtual Idea Hub<https://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=5ee383910a&e=959266bc83>
Looking for some creative hands-on learning experiences you can do from your kitchen table? Our weekly series brings making and tinkering fun from our Idea Hub makerspace straight to your home. Build, create, tinker, and engineer in activities designed for families with children in grades 4 and up.
Cambridge Science Festival<https://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=611816fab4&e=959266bc83>

Get ready for a month-long celebration during this year’s Cambridge Science Festival. Create your own 30-day challenge to connect with science, join with community members, partners, and others in cool STEAM activities, and share stories of science and why it matters through art, video, podcasts, and more. And don’t forget our annual Curiosity Challenge, providing an opportunity for kids ages 5-14 to wonder, imagine, and share what they are curious about.

  1.  Engineering Positions Open at Ouster
At Ouster<https://ouster.com/>, we build sensors and tools for engineers, roboticists, and researchers so they can make the world safer and more efficient. We've transformed LIDAR from an analog device with thousands of components to an elegant digital device powered by one chip-scale laser array and one CMOS sensor. The result is a full range of high-resolution LIDAR sensors that deliver superior imaging at a dramatically lower price. Our advanced sensor hardware and vision algorithms are used in autonomous cars, drones and many other applications. If you’re motivated by solving big problems, we’re hiring key roles across the company and need your help!

We are looking for a Systems Engineer, Data (software) Engineer, Firmware Analytics Engineer, and a FPGA Hardware Engineer.  Check out the job listings and descriptions in the following link: https://ouster.com/careers/

  1.  Grad Workshops in Technical Leadership (Spring 2021)
The Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership Program is pleased to announce our Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership Workshop Series for Spring 2021. These workshops will run virtually and here is a link to descriptions for each.<https://gelp.mit.edu/gel-grad-spring-2021>

We invite you to register and attend our series, which count toward satisfying requirements toward our certificate.<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-students/graduate-certificate-technical-leadership-interim-requirements> Most of the workshops will be held from 5:30pm-7:30pm with exception of March 4*, which will run from 5:00pm-7:30pm.

  *   Welcome Back- Building Community and Solving Problems in Virtual Teams - Led by David Niño and the Graduate Advisory Group to the School of Engineering, from 5:00pm-7:30pm on Thursday, March 4
  *   The R&D/Innovation Role in Bringing a Strategic Choice to Life - Led by Reza Rahaman on Thursday, March 18
  *   Technical Leadership and Finance: What Technical Leaders Need to Know About Dollars and Sense - Led by Olivier L. de Weck on Tuesday, April 6
  *   Foundations for Ethical Action and Integrity in Engineering - Led by James Magarian on Wednesday, April 14
  *   Managing Up Your Advisor or Supervisor - Led by Diana Chien and Jesse Dunietz on Tuesday, April 27
  *   Taking Charge of New Roles: Strategies for Your First 90 Days - Led by David Niño and Albert Atkins on Tuesday, May 11

*If you are interested in registering for one or all of our workshops, please email Lisa Stagnone at lstag at mit.edu<mailto:lstag at mit.edu>

  1.  Spring 2021 LEAPS Courses

Registration is now open for the Spring 2021 LEAPS courses on Navigating science career journeys with LEAdership and Professional Strategies & Skills Training (8.S396 & 8.S397; listed as “Special Subject: Physics” — long story, weird name, but it’s LEAPS!). These are two half-semester courses to ease participation amidst everyone’s busy research life and various responsibilities. The two parts can be taken separately or together. We strongly recommend taking both parts, though, for participants to receive the full training and to make best use of this unique opportunity! Part I starts on Tuesday Feb 16, 9:30am.
8.S396 for Part I — Sharpen Your Professional Strategies & Skills (from Feb 16 to Apr 1, 2021)
8.S397 for Part II — Developing Your Leadership Competencies (from Apr 6 to May 20, 2021)
Open to all Graduate Students and Postdocs at MIT, particularly for School of Science members. The course will be co-facilitated by groups of selected postdocs who are learning to teach this course. More information can be found on our website https://physics.mit.edu/mitleaps/. Interested folks can connect with us via mitleaps at gmail.com<mailto:mitleaps at gmail.com>. Women and underrepresented minorities are especially encouraged to register for these courses.

  1.  CS jobs in MIT Digital Humanities Lab for Graduate / MEng Students
Grad Assistant in Digital Humanities @ MIT: The Graduate Assistant will work directly with the program's Technical Director to mentor the DH lab’s UROPs and assist them in implementing the work of the lab. They will also help lab staff to support the new Affiliated Faculty-UROP Program by holding office hours to consult on digital humanities projects happening across the School. Learn More: www.tinyurl.com/mitdhgrad<http://www.tinyurl.com/mitdhgrad>

Visiting Research Associate in Digital Humanities @ MIT: Seeking early-career software developer to work directly with the DH lab’s Technical Director to support our faculty and student research programs. Work collaboratively on project design and management, assist in the training and supervision of the lab’s undergraduate research cohort, and contribute directly to the codebase of lab projects. This position is ideally suited for a candidate with strong technical skills who seeks to apply them to humanistic inquiry. Learn More: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18025

  1.  AI Teaching and Curriculum Internship at Inspirit AI: Summer 2021

At Inspirit<https://www.inspiritai.com/> AI<https://www.inspiritai.com/>, we’ve taught the fundamentals of artificial intelligence to 1200+ curious high-school students worldwide. Through the AI Scholars Live<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> Online<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> program, students learn about the technical and social challenges of AI, build machine learning models in Python, and complete projects<https://www.inspiritai.com/project> applying AI to social good, from assessing bias in the social justice system to identifying the origins of COVID-19. We’re excited for our biggest program yet in Summer 2021!

We’re seeking students or recent alumni with AI/ML experience to join our instructional team this summer. As a teaching and curriculum intern, you’ll:

Teach AI to high-school students worldwide, mentoring small groups.

Help develop and improve our curriculum<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline>: for example, creating new machine learning projects or presentations about your research.

Build your skills in AI, teaching, and curriculum development.

Join the Inspirit team<https://www.inspiritai.com/team> of passionate instructors from Stanford, MIT, and more.

Receive training on teaching our curriculum and competitive compensation based on your background and experience.

Work remotely, 15-40 hours per week.

We’re looking for:

AI experience: At least one AI/ML course (like Stanford CS229/CS230 or MIT 6.036) and some AI experience in research or industry, or equivalent.

Teaching skills: experience teaching or tutoring. Bonus: experience working with teenagers, teaching CS, creating curriculum, and/or teaching remotely.

Availability on weekends May 8 - Aug. 15 or weekdays June 7 - Aug. 13 (with some flexibility). Multiple time<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> slots<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> are available.

Enthusiasm for mentoring high school students across the globe and joining the Inspirit community!

If interested, please fill out this<https://forms.gle/vSCNKYq9ZxAworXZ8> brief form<https://forms.gle/vSCNKYq9ZxAworXZ8>, and feel free to email adeesh at stanford.edu<mailto:adeesh at stanford.edu>  and daniela.inspiritai at gmail.com<mailto:daniela.inspiritai at gmail.com> with any questions. Looking  forward to hearing from you!

  1.  "Amplify Your Technical Education to Build a Better World!”
Leadership education develops skills applicable across career paths, from leading research labs to leading project teams in engineering. Enroll in one or both of our Graduate Engineering Leadership Courses for Spring 2021, which qualify towards our Certificate in Technical Leadership.<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-students/graduate-certificate-technical-leadership-interim-requirements> This certificate is designed to provide important skills that MIT graduate students can draw from to "make a positive difference" in their chosen careers. Grounded in research but experimental and engaging in delivery, these highly valued classes will provide enduring benefits for our graduate students – and future coworkers.*PhD candidates can also explore the option of using these class to satisfy the requirements for your doctoral minor.

Graduate Engineering Leadership Courses for Spring 2021 (**Open to all grad students!):

6.928J Leading Creative Teams<http://gelp.mit.edu/grad-creative-teams>

It takes a team to deliver impactful technical achievements and this class equips students with foundational skills for leading problem-solving teams and one’s own professional development.

M/W, 2:30-4pm EDT | Virtual | Units: G3-0-6

Instructor: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu<mailto:dnino at mit.edu>)

6.S979 Multi-Stakeholder Negotiation for Technical Experts<https://gelp.mit.edu/6s979-multi-stakeholder-negotiation-technical-experts>

Expand your natural tendencies and learn experientially both the theory and practice of interpersonal negotiation, influence and overcoming difficult relationship situations.

T, 2-4pm EDT | Virtual | Units: G2-0-4 |

Instructors: Samuel (“Mooly”) Dinnar (sdinnar at mit.edu<mailto:sdinnar at mit.edu>)

***For more information, visit our website. <https://gelp.mit.edu/grad>

*If you are interested in earning our certificate, please email Lisa Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu<mailto:lstag at mit.edu>) and David Niño (dnino at mit.edu<mailto:dnino at mit.edu>)

  1.  Become a gwaMIT department rep!

gwaMIT is accepting applications for the position of department representatives! As a gwaMIT department rep, you'll build connections across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and responsibilities here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>. Fill out the short application form here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>. Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are encouraged to apply. The departments with openings are: Sloan, ChemE, Arch, PolSci, HASTS, Humanities, Writing, NSE, CCWCE, CMS, CSB, MAS, CRE, CCE, CTL, EECS. If the position is currently filled, but you are still interested in being involved with gwaMIT, email us to let us know! We have multiple avenues for engagement in gwaMIT's activities and initiatives.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

-Eleanor Roosevelt