[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Newsletter: April 19, 2021

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Apr 19 13:25:55 EDT 2021

*gwaMIT Newsletter*

*April 19th, 2021*

*Building a Supportive Community for LBGTQ+ People*

*When:* April 21st, 2021 7-8PM EST via Zoom
*Details:* What can we do to help create a community that is supportive of
LBGTQ+ people? Join other graduate womxn at MIT in this discussion,
facilitated by Nina Foushee, graduate assistant for LBGTQ+ services at MIT.
In the RSVP form you can include specific questions or scenarios that you’d
like to explore during the discussion. The first 15 people to sign-up will
have the option to receive a book from MIT’s office of LBGTQ+ services.
Dinner will be reimbursed (tax excluded) up to $10 for the first 50 sign
ups. Please RSVP here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeWn09SMY9sZ3IEaMB5RUdz0z8pp94lmsKgr3zcsvq70wJmuQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
*If you RSVP’d earlier, please do so again as we forgot to collect
reimbursement information. Thank you!*

*Participate in a gwaMIT focus group for men*

gwaMIT has been organizing focus groups this semester to better understand
the experiences of graduate women across MIT’s various departments. The
insights gained from this initiative will be used to inform our discussions
with the MIT administration (while respecting the confidentiality of
participants). As part of this initiative, we are currently recruiting
participants for a focus group consisting of students who identify as men.
The session will be virtual and will last for 60 minutes. The discussion
will center on the various relationships we forge at MIT, such as those
with our advisors, departments, mentors, and peers, as well as aspirations
for our careers and life beyond MIT. Your views will provide us with
valuable insight into the experiences of MIT’s graduate students, which
will help add context to existing survey data. To show our appreciation for
the time you spend with us, gwaMIT will reimburse meal expenses up to $15
for the session.

If you are interested in participating, please enter your name and email in
this form <https://forms.gle/qxBbZBMcdmSZFXLVA> by 04/21. We will reach out
to you soon!

*The Glass Shards: Womxn Scientists Speaker Series*

*When: *April 29th, 2021 4PM EST via Zoom

*Details: *We are continuing our speaker series for graduate womxn in the
biology department on career paths and professional development called The
Glass Shards, featuring womxn scientists who have broken through the glass
ceiling. Our next speaker will be Prof. Seychelle Vos on Thursday
April 29th at 4:00 pm ET. Seychelle joined the biology department in 2019
as an assistant professor, and her lab studies how genome organization and
transcription are coupled. At the end of the event, there will be an open
Q&A, and attendees who ask questions will be entered into a raffle to win a
gift card. You can submit questions anonymously in advance here
<https://forms.gle/VVg26kjo141PWZvi9>. This will be a wonderful opportunity
to hear from Seychelle and have an open dialogue about womxn in science.
Please find the Zoom invitation below.

https://mit.zoom.us/j/93848748370?pwd=WUdRTlJKWHdIVEJOMjZhN1NtdTBUZz09
(Password: Vos)

*Become a member of the gwaMIT Executive Board! (apply by April 30th!) *

Want to get involved with gwaMIT, build your network, and collaborate with
an incredible community of womxn graduate students? Apply to be part of the
2021-2022 gwaMIT Executive Board! We are currently focused on recruiting
for the co-chair position and the treasurer position. The application form
is available here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd5SdGEiOdaMyzG9GAgM8J97fsURmYZwQiyW66faB-RiJZV0A/viewform>.
There is a link to the official descriptions in the application form. The
deadline to apply is 5pm on Friday, April 30th.

*Celebration of Black Women in Science Panel*

*When: *April 30th, 2021 12-1:15PM via Zoom

*Details: **RSVP here* <http://bwspanel.eventbrite.com/> for lunch
reimbursement up to $10

Join gwaMIT and this outstanding panel of five black women in science, from
both academia and industry, for an informal discussion about career and
education experience. There will be an introduction and then small group
discussion in breakout rooms. Please see the Eventbrite page
<http://bwspanel.eventbrite.com/> for more information, full speaker bios,
and to RSVP. This event is open to the MIT community so please share with
your friends. Hope to see you there!

*A Journey Through Graduate School with Dr. Malika Grayson*

*When: *May 6th, 2021 4:30PM EST

*Details: *Dr. Malika Grayson is the founder of STEMinist Empowered LLC. An
organization focused on the empowerment of women of color who pursue
graduate degrees through graduate mentorship and personal statement
reviews. She is the second Black woman to graduate with her PhD in
Mechanical Engineering at Cornell and the author of the best-selling book
“Hooded: A Black Girl’s Guide to the PhD”. Dr. Grayson will speak about her
path through graduate school as well as how she used her peer and mentor
network to tackle the challenges that came during her PhD. A question and
answer session will follow. RSVP at http://tinyurl.com/mit-drmalikagrayson

*Meet the Department Reps!*

[image: image.png]  *Aarthi Janakiraman / Urban Studies and Planning*

*Please tell us about your research interests. *Hi! I’m a second year PhD
student in Urban Planning. My research focuses on the spatial politics of
built heritage conservation in rapidly urbanizing cities in Asia. I am
interested in exploring the ways in which the built environment is used to
construct identity, legitimize political agendas, engineer society, and
encourage economic development.

*Who is your favorite womxn from history or the present times, and why? *It’s
so hard to pick just one! A womxn from history - I’m so inspired by the
strength, perseverance and creativity of Frida Kahlo. I admire her
adventurous spirit, passion, and courage to explore the unknown. From
recent years, I’m a huge fan of Michelle Obama and the compassion,
intelligence, and positivity she embodies.

*What do you like about being a gwaMIT Rep? *Being a gwaMIT Rep has been an
amazing opportunity to make meaningful connections with folks both inside
my department and across the institute as well.

*Did you know? Womxn-related news from around the world*

MIT scientists start Future Founders Initiative
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/04/06/business/mit-scientists-launch-future-founders-initiative-solve-biotechs-missing-women-problem/>
to help solve biotech’s lack of womxn founders.

ABC News named Kimberly Godwin
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/business/media/abc-news-president-kimberly-godwin.html>
as its new president, making her the first Black woman to lead a major
broadcast network’s news division.

The U.S. House of Representatives passed the Paycheck Fairness Act
<https://www.wsj.com/articles/housepasses-paycheck-fairness-act-aimed-at-closing-gender-pay-gap-11618525733>
aimed at closing the gender pay gap.

*Events & Opportunities*

1.     2nd Annual National Antiracist Book Festival (April 24th)

2.     NE GWiSE Science Policy Workshop (April 27th)

3.     Join HGWISE for a screening of Pretty Strong (April 30th)

4.     Participate in the 2021 ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit Student
Program (May 24th – 27th)

5.     Upcoming BCG Events and Opportunities (apply now!)

6.     Mentorship Opportunity with HGWISE and the Harvard Biotech Club
(apply now!)

7.     Spring Programs at the MIT Museum

8.     Engineering Positions Open at Ouster (apply now!)

9.     Grad Workshops in Technical Leadership (Spring 2021)

10.  CS jobs in MIT Digital Humanities Lab for Graduate / MEng Students
(apply today!)

11.  AI Teaching and Curriculum Internship at Inspirit AI: Summer 2021
(sign up now!)

12.  Become a gwaMIT Department Rep!

1.     *2nd Annual National Antiracist Book Festival*

*When: *April 24th, 2021 9AM – 6PM EST

*Details: *The #AntiracistBookfest is the first and only book festival that
brings together, showcases, and celebrates the nation’s leading antiracist
writers and helps to prepare the writers of tomorrow. Panels are topically
organized with two authors and a moderator. There will also be workshops
for writers facilitated by leading book editors and literary agents. The
National Antiracist Book Festival is a ticketed event. All proceeds from
ticket sales will go towards the work of the BU Center for Antiracist
Research.

2.     *NE GWiSE Science Policy Workshop *

*When: *April 27th, 2021 6-7:30PM EST

*Details: *NE GWiSE is excited to announce the sixth seminar in our
"Building Inclusive Communities" 2020-21 virtual series. This month's
speaker, *Dr. Adriana Bankston*, is a Principal Legislative Analyst in the
University of California (UC) Office of Federal Governmental Relations,
where she serves as an advocate for UC with Congress, the Administration,
and federal agencies. She’s also the new CEO and Managing Publisher of the
Journal of Science Policy & Governance. During this interactive workshop, Dr.
Bankston will cover effective strategies for graduate students to
communicate their research to policymakers, both orally and in writing. She
will discuss different types of policy writing and how to tailor your
message to a specific audience within the current political context. The
session will also provide opportunities to practice speaking and writing on
a policy topic of your choice. The event is *free to attend* *and open to
all genders*. Learn more about the event and RSVP here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/policy-workshop-strategies-for-effective-science-communication-advocacy-registration-150800581599>
! The workshop schedule is below:

6:00-7:00pm:

Presentation + Q&A

7:00-7:15:

Breakout Session

7:15-7:30pm:

Recap & Broader Discussion

3.     *Join HGWISE for a screening of Pretty Strong *

*When: *April 30th, 2021

*Details: *Pretty Strong follows eight of the world’s strongest female
climbers as they explore new climbing areas, send hard projects, and push
the boundaries of the sport and themselves. Putting badass ladies front and
center, this film is about some of the best climbers in the world—some you
know, some you don’t—doing what they do best: crushing hard rock climbs.
First 100 people who RSVP will receive a vimeo link
only available for streaming Friday April 30th, 2021
RSVP @ http://bit.ly/pretty_strong
<https://gmail.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=44d533f874661512f18999694&id=a0d7fa4f65&e=93955d9aba>
Watch a trailer @ https://www.nevernotcollective.com
<https://gmail.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=44d533f874661512f18999694&id=b7c64c0a9f&e=93955d9aba>

4.     *Participate in the 2021 ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit Student
Program *

*When: *May 24th – 27th, 2021

*Details: *The ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit, hosted by the U.S.
Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy, convenes
leaders from academia, business, and government to discuss cutting-edge
energy technologies, facilitate relationships to move technologies to
market, and showcase innovations that will advance solutions to current and
future energy challenges. The strategic combination of leaders makes the
Summit the perfect forum for developing energy solutions to enable America
to out-innovate its global competitors.

The Student Program is free of charge to all graduate students – to
register please visit arpae-summit.com/Students
<http://www.arpae-summit.com/Students>. This program provides
graduate-level students access to student-focused speakers, panel
discussions, and networking opportunities, and students will
be able to observe in the main Summit programming when not attending
student programming.

5.     *Upcoming BCG Events and Opportunities *

*Full-Time Consulting Roles – Start by June 2021 *

We are currently seeking candidates for our full-time consulting roles that
can start full-time between March 2021 and June 2021. We are reviewing
applications on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply as soon as
possible. Learn more and apply here
<https://www.bcg.com/en-us/careers/students/adc-application-process>.

6.     *Mentorship Opportunity with HGWISE and the Harvard Biotech Club
(apply now!)*

*Interested in mentoring undergraduate womxn at Smith College?*

HGWISE and the Harvard Biotech Club are collaborating to start a new
mentorship program where PhD students will be mentors to undergraduates at
Smith College. This is a short survey to gauge your interest level in
participating in this future program.

*Here is the link to the survey and a summary of the vision and inspiration
for this program* <https://forms.gle/G3dusxsJSwPYNZoX6>

Getting a STEM degree college is challenging, and it can often feel like
the next steps after college are ambiguous, especially when undergraduate
colleges lack graduate programs. Smith is one of the largest women’s
colleges in the United States, with students from 48 states and 68
countries. Unfortunately, Smith does not have STEM doctoral programs on
campus and thus students lack access to learning about life as a PhD
student researcher.
Thankfully, there are programs at Smith that do foster a sense of community
in STEM. The AEMES (Achieving Excellence in Mathematics Engineering and
Sciences) Program was built to support the success of women from
historically underrepresented backgrounds in STEM-related education. In
addition to peer-mentorship, this program provides funding to support paid
research experiences so that fellows can perform research as their
work-study job to build competitive applications for graduate school.
We are starting a chapter of mentorship within HGWISE and the Harvard
Biotech Club where PhD graduate students will be mentees to Smith AEMES
fellows. We are surveying your interest (as a current PhD student or member
of the private sector) in being a mentor in this future program. The exact
nature of your virtual mentorship meetings would be scaled to your specific
needs, mentors can host a mentorship meeting ranging from monthly or
bi-monthly depending on personal capacity given your other
responsibilities.
In addition to the Harvard <> Smith mentorship program, will invite AEMES
fellows to the virtual events hosted by Harvard graduate student
organizations. These events will help undergraduates understand what the
life of a STEM PhD student looks like, professional options available after
getting a PhD, and attend panels from leaders across many different STEM
related fields.

For more information of which organizations, see below:

Harvard x AEMES Collaboration is grounded in the partnership with the
following Harvard Graduate Student organizations:
(1) Harvard Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (HGWISE),
(2) Harvard Medical School's Therapeutics Graduate Program (TGP),
(3) The Harvard Biotech Club (HBC),

7.     *Spring Programs at the MIT Museum*
*Movie Nights *
<https://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=3281996314&e=959266bc83>

Our monthly series, Movie Nights, combines great flicks with lively
conversation all from the comfort of your own home.
*Virtual Idea Hub*
<https://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=5ee383910a&e=959266bc83>

Looking for some creative hands-on learning experiences you can do from
your kitchen table? Our weekly series brings making and tinkering fun from
our Idea Hub makerspace straight to your home. Build, create, tinker, and
engineer in activities designed for families with children in grades 4 and
up.
*Cambridge Science Festival*
<https://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=611816fab4&e=959266bc83>

Get ready for a month-long celebration during this year’s Cambridge Science
Festival. Create your own 30-day challenge to connect with science, join
with community members, partners, and others in cool STEAM activities, and
share stories of science and why it matters through art, video, podcasts,
and more. And don’t forget our annual Curiosity Challenge, providing an
opportunity for kids ages 5-14 to wonder, imagine, and share what they are
curious about.

8.     *Engineering Positions Open at Ouster*

At Ouster <https://ouster.com/>, we build sensors and tools for engineers,
roboticists, and researchers so they can make the world safer and more
efficient. We've transformed LIDAR from an analog device with thousands of
components to an elegant digital device powered by one chip-scale laser
array and one CMOS sensor. The result is a full range of high-resolution
LIDAR sensors that deliver superior imaging at a dramatically lower price.
Our advanced sensor hardware and vision algorithms are used in autonomous
cars, drones and many other applications. If you’re motivated by solving
big problems, we’re hiring key roles across the company and need your help!

We are looking for a Systems Engineer, Data (software) Engineer, Firmware
Analytics Engineer, and a FPGA Hardware Engineer.  Check out the job
listings and descriptions in the following link: https://ouster.com/careers/

9.     *Grad Workshops in Technical Leadership (Spring 2021)*

The Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership Program is pleased to
announce our Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership Workshop Series
for Spring 2021. These workshops will run virtually and *here is a link to
descriptions for each.* <https://gelp.mit.edu/gel-grad-spring-2021>

We invite you to register and attend our series, which count toward
satisfying *requirements toward our certificate.*
<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-students/graduate-certificate-technical-leadership-interim-requirements>
Most
of the workshops will be held from 5:30pm-7:30pm.

·       *Managing Up Your Advisor or Supervisor* - *Led by Diana Chien and
Jesse Dunietz on Tuesday, April 27*

·       *Taking Charge of New Roles: Strategies for Your First 90 Days* - *Led
by David Niño and Albert Atkins on Tuesday, May 11*

*If you are interested in registering for one or all of our workshops,
please email Lisa Stagnone at *lstag at mit.edu* <lstag at mit.edu>

10.  *CS jobs in MIT Digital Humanities Lab for Graduate / MEng Students*

*Grad Assistant in Digital Humanities @ MIT:* The Graduate Assistant will
work directly with the program's Technical Director to mentor the DH lab’s
UROPs and assist them in implementing the work of the lab. They will also
help lab staff to support the new Affiliated Faculty-UROP Program by
holding office hours to consult on digital humanities projects happening
across the School. Learn More: www.tinyurl.com/mitdhgrad

*Visiting Research Associate in Digital Humanities @ MIT:* Seeking
early-career software developer to work directly with the DH lab’s
Technical Director to support our faculty and student research programs.
Work collaboratively on project design and management, assist in the
training and supervision of the lab’s undergraduate research cohort, and
contribute directly to the codebase of lab projects. This position is
ideally suited for a candidate with strong technical skills who seeks to
apply them to humanistic inquiry. Learn More:
https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18025

11.  *AI Teaching and Curriculum Internship at Inspirit AI: Summer 2021*

At Inspirit <https://www.inspiritai.com/> AI <https://www.inspiritai.com/>,
we’ve taught the fundamentals of artificial intelligence to 1200+ curious
high-school students worldwide. Through the AI Scholars Live
<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> Online
<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> program, students learn about the
technical and social challenges of AI, build machine learning models in
Python, and complete projects <https://www.inspiritai.com/project> applying
AI to social good, from assessing bias in the social justice system to
identifying the origins of COVID-19. We’re excited for our biggest program
yet in Summer 2021!

We’re seeking students or recent alumni with AI/ML experience to join our
instructional team this summer. As a *teaching and curriculum intern, *
you’ll:

*Teach AI to high-school students worldwide, *mentoring small groups.

Help *develop and improve our **curriculum*
<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline>: for example, creating new machine
learning projects or presentations about your research.

*Build your skills *in AI, teaching, and curriculum development.

*Join the Inspirit **team* <https://www.inspiritai.com/team> of passionate
instructors from Stanford, MIT, and more.

Receive *training on teaching our curriculum *and *competitive compensation
*based on your background and experience.

*Work remotely, *15-40 hours per week.

We’re looking for:

*AI experience: *At least one AI/ML course (like Stanford CS229/CS230 or
MIT 6.036) and some AI experience in research or industry, or equivalent.

*Teaching skills: *experience teaching or tutoring. Bonus: experience
working with teenagers, teaching CS, creating curriculum, and/or teaching
remotely.

*Availability *on weekends May 8 - Aug. 15 or weekdays June 7 - Aug. 13
(with some flexibility). Multiple time
<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> slots
<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> are available.

*Enthusiasm* for mentoring high school students across the globe and
joining the Inspirit community!

If interested, please *fill out **this*
<https://forms.gle/vSCNKYq9ZxAworXZ8>* brief form*
<https://forms.gle/vSCNKYq9ZxAworXZ8>, and feel free to email
adeesh at stanford.edu  and daniela.inspiritai at gmail.com with any questions.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

12.  *Become a gwaMIT department rep!*

gwaMIT is accepting applications for the position of department
representatives! As a gwaMIT department rep, you'll build connections
across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate
womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change
and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts
for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and
responsibilities here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>.
Fill out the short application form here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>.
Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are
encouraged to apply. The departments with openings are: Sloan, ChemE, Arch,
PolSci, HASTS, Humanities, Writing, NSE, CCWCE, CMS, CSB, MAS, CRE, CCE,
CTL, EECS. If the position is currently filled, but you are still
interested in being involved with gwaMIT, email us to let us know! We have
multiple avenues for engagement in gwaMIT's activities and initiatives.

*“My mission in life is not merely to survive but to thrive and to do so
with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”*

-Maya Angelou

To unsubscribe or change your mailing preferences, please visit: