[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Newsletter, October 19th, 2020

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 19 16:57:25 EDT 2020

gwaMIT Newsletter

October 19th, 2020

gwaMIT Empowerment Conference 2020 - In Isolation But Not Alone

The COVID-19 pandemic has profoundly altered our daily lives. We at gwaMIT are here to tell you that you are “In Isolation but Not Alone”. This year, gwaMIT’s Empowerment Conference will focus on wellness during the pandemic. Events will take place from 26th October to 30th October.

A schedule with conference events is below. More details and RSVP information can be found on our Empowerment Conference website<https://gwamit2020fallempowerment.wordpress.com>. Hope to see you there!

  *   Mon 26th Oct, 12 PM to 1 PM: Womxn’s Healthcare
Join medical experts specializing in women’s health, reproductive health, mental health and trans-women’s health share their thoughts on what more people need to know about their fields!
Register here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/womxns-healthcare-gwamit-empowerment-conference-tickets-125815354111>.
  *   Mon 26th Oct, 8 PM to 9 PM: Zumba Workshop
Luckily quarantine doesn’t mean you can’t still get a great workout dancing in your room! Join us for a free 1-hour Zumba class with a certified instructor.
Register here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/zumba-class-gwamit-empowerment-conference-tickets-125748094937>.
  *   Tue 27th Oct, 1 PM to 2 PM: Design Thinking Workshop
Learn how proven design thinking mindsets can help you design and build your career in the face of all the unknowns, especially in a pandemic.
Register here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/design-your-life-workshop-tickets-125758788923>.
  *   Wed 28th Oct, 12 PM to 1 PM: Keynote Address: Ritu Raman
Ritu Raman is the founder of the Women in Innovation and STEM Database at MIT (WISDM<https://innovation.mit.edu/wisdm/>). WISDM is more than a website – it’s a community that elevates and promotes the visibility of MIT women.
Register here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/keynote-address-ritu-raman-gwamit-empowerment-conference-tickets-125812100379>.
  *   Thu 29th Oct, 2 PM to 3 PM: Wellness During COVID with Zan Barry
This session with Zan Barry will address practical tips for self-care during stressful times.
Register here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wellness-during-covid-with-zan-barry-gwamit-empowerment-conference-tickets-125814449405>.
  *   Fri 30th Oct, 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM: Speed Networking with womxn at MIT
WFH means it can be even harder than usual to meet new people outside your department at MIT. Come join us for one hour of “speed networking” with MIT womxn graduate students.
Register here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/speed-networking-gwamit-empowerment-conference-tickets-125750116985>.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D6A638.EAF914A0]

Post Doc and Graduate Student Recruitment for gwaMIT Black Womxn at MIT Panel

gwaMIT is organizing an event to highlight Black Womxn in science at MIT and beyond -- this will be in the form of a panel with faculty, industry professionals, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students. This will be held on November 6 from 12:30 to 1:30 PM. We are in search of 1-2 post doctorals fellows and 1-2 graduate students who wish to share their experience at MIT to serve on this panel. During this panel, there will be a brief introduction by the panelists followed by small breakout rooms where each panelist will be in a group with ~5 graduate students for questions and discussion.

If you are interested in participating and/or have suggestions for this event, please reach out

via email to gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>.

Call For Action in Support of Fellow International Students and Scholars
When: Now! The period for public comments closes October 26th
Read more about the impacts of the proposed rule and how you can advocate against it here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u4vB5a7Ld6rySoD7iR5__pfADn9jViJwAiqFwFpbvxM/edit?usp=sharing>.

What: On September 25th 2020, the Trump administration recently proposed changes<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/09/25/2020-20845/establishing-a-fixed-time-period-of-admission-and-an-extension-of-stay-procedure-for-nonimmigrant> for F/J/I visa holders and their dependents, which will significantly affect the lives of millions of international students and scholars in the US. More than 50 percent<https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF11347> of all U.S. STEM graduate students are international students.

This proposed rule changes the legally permitted period of stay for international students and scholars from the duration of status to an arbitrary fixed time (2 or 4 years), depending on their country of citizenship, and provides opportunities for discrimination against international scholars. It limits the options for international students to pursue meaningful, uninterrupted education and seek additional training through internships and/or full-time employment. It also arbitrarily puts them into categories of less welcome and least welcome, adding to the existing systematic racism in the U.S.

​On behalf of the student organizations in the New England region, we strongly oppose this racist and xenophobic proposal, and are calling on you to take action with us to stop the enforcement of the proposed rule.

Meet the Department Reps!

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D6A638.EAF914A0] Lipsi Kumari/ Supply Chain Management

Please tell us about your interests and work experience: I have been enabling speed of an organization by working on company’s technology side. My experience at Nike enabled me to explore about supply chain of an organization in sustainable way. I have interest in digital supply chain , analytics, sustainability and agriculture. I intent to solve real world problems using my tech experience and my learning at MIT

Who is your favorite womxn from history or the present times, and why? Marie Curie : Her work defined a path for mankind in the field of radiology. The term was defined by her consistent effort, that enabled multiple explorations.

What do you like about being a gwaMIT Rep? Community that this platform provides. A forum where all voices would be hear and a support system to all women in whatever they want to achieve.

[cid:image003.png at 01D6A638.EAF914A0] Garima Sharma/ Economics

Please tell us about your interests and work experience: I study women in the labor market: do employers discriminate against them? what do women lose as a consequence? and can policies and collective bargaining mitigate this discrimination?

Who is your favorite womxn from history or the present times, and why? I admire many women. One favorite is RBG, who turned her passion into a career, was devoted to what she did, and made gradual but lasting change in the lives of American women.

What do you like about being a gwaMIT Rep? I love the cross-department community fostered by GWAMIT and getting to talk to people who think about things very different than my day-to-day!

Did you know? Here is some womxn-related news from around the world:
Serena Williams was recently featured on the cover of Vogue. In the accompanying article<https://www.today.com/style/serena-williams-november-cover-british-vogue-t193301?cid=sm_npd_td_fb_kh&fbclid=IwAR0VD7wfq2jvM0qR65IznlmvhI8LL06vCtGkH6v2SbR5X5hBgoPmNTUetIg>, she discusses body positivity and the Black Lives Matter movement.

Gymnast Simone Biles made history<https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a28674799/simone-biles-triple-double-gymnastics-championships/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflowFBELM&utm_medium=social-media&fbclid=IwAR1CBpX8lFOnHYJdOqrpOZWn042QMOE5tjx0nCEm5QcLTKC4eicztJLJ7SM> at the US Gymnastics Championships. Reporter Madison Feller notes that "The only person Simon Biles has to compete against is herself."

Michelle Obama, Malala Yousafzai, and 17-year old student Priya Mondol discuss women's access to education and empowerment in honor of International Day of the Girl. You can read their conversation here<https://www-teenvogue-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.teenvogue.com/story/michelle-obama-malala-yousafzai-day-of-the-girl/amp>.

MIT alumna Dr. Andrea Ghez was the recipient of the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics<https://news.mit.edu/2020/andrea-ghez-shares-2020-nobel-prize-physics-1006>. Congratulations, Dr. Ghez! She is joined by two female scientists, Dr. Jennifer A. Doudna, and Dr. Emmanuelle Charpentier, who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/07/science/nobel-prize-chemistry-crispr.html>. The full list of female Nobel Prize winners in history can be found here<https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/lists/nobel-prize-awarded-women/>.

Speaking of Nobel Prize winners, check out this Amazon Prime movie, “Radioactive<https://www.amazon.com/Radioactive-Rosamund-Pike/dp/B08CMDVZMP>,” based on the life and accomplishments of Marie Curie (Nobel Prize in Physics, 1903), and The History Chicks podcast series about Marie Curie: Part 1<https://open.spotify.com/episode/5l4nZLHKLe4tjD5OQTy7N6?si=wnT2aMB9QT6bf_J8DTsYkg>, Part 2<https://open.spotify.com/episode/0ey2gxmRs2uRybtRvDFJ0t?si=ZQM6h318Sc-M4oyzCfjv-w>, Revisit<https://open.spotify.com/episode/1DYvpNjxOQvqXBaAOVQ0q5?si=uQXp-R7QR4i7iGxmwd0BsA>.

This September, history was made<https://nypost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/nypost.com/2020/09/25/crew-of-all-female-firefighters-in-florida-makes-history/amp/> when the first all-female crew of firefighters were called to serve. This is an amazing moment for our first responders, congratulations!

Looking for a new podcast? Check out “The Making Of<https://audioboom.com/channels/5033544>” - the most recent guest was Yomi Adegoke, who spoke about race, class, and mental health<https://audioboom.com/posts/7698977-the-making-of-yomi-adegoke-race-class-and-mental-health>.

Check out "Picture a Scientist" -- a recent documentary that chronicles the groundbreaking 1999 public report on the status of women at MIT. Read more about it from MIT News here<https://news.mit.edu/2020/3-questions-nancy-hopkins-improving-gender-equality-in-academia-0930>. Picture a Scientist website<https://www.pictureascientist.com/>.

Events & Opportunities

  1.  Building the Perfect Human to Invade: An Indigenous Feminist Queer Analysis of the Pandemic on the Navajo Nation (Oct. 21st)
  2.  Live Discussion with Angela Davis (Oct. 21st)
  3.  Our Voices, Our Histories: Asian American and Pacific Islander Women (Oct. 27th)
  4.  Better Sleep with Relaxation and Yoga – “viva la COvida! Life During COVID” (Oct. 27th)
  5.  Data Feminism - Talk by Catherine D'Ignazio as part of the Feminism+ series (Oct. 30th)
  6.  WISDM @ the gwaMIT Empowerment Conference
  7.  D. E. Shaw Research -- Virtual Information Sessions (multiple dates)
  8.  Grad Technical Leadership Virtual Workshops (multiple dates)
  9.  Public Guest Lectures: Black Mobility and Safety in the US (multiple dates)
  10. PhagePro – Scientist Positions Open (apply now!)
  11. Scientists in Solidarity
  12. Full-Stack App Developer Internship Opportunity (apply now!)
  13. Get ready to vote!
  14. The Social Scientist Mentorship Program (now!)
  15. Outreach Opportunities with Science Club for Girls (now!)
  16. STEMxx Chats Interest Form (now!)
  17. Join the IDHR Student Advisory Committee (now!)
  18. Join MITxHarvard Women in AI Group (now!)
  19. Join GrasshoppHer’s #braveboldboundless (now!)
  20. Become a gwaMIT Department Rep (now!)
  21. Sign up for the GradDiversity Newsletter!

  1.  Building the Perfect Human to Invade: An Indigenous Feminist Queer Analysis of the Pandemic on the Navajo Nation

Virtual event. Wednesday 10/21/2020, 5-6:30PM. RSVP here<http://tinyurl.com/denetdale>. This event will be a zoom webinar format.

Women’s and Gender Studies Biannual McMillan-Stewart Lecture on Women in the Developing World. “Building the Perfect Human to Invade: An Indigenous Feminist Queer Analysis of the Pandemic on the Navajo Nation” -Jennifer Rose Denetdale

  1.  Live Discussion with Angela Davis

LIVE: Moderated Discussion with Angela Davis

Wednesday, October 21

1:00 – 2:30pm EST

Webinar link: https://bit.ly/2SVCOFd

The departments of Biological Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Materials Science and Engineering are proud to announce a live moderated discussion and Q&A on allyship, anti-racism, and social activism with Dr. Angela Davis on October 21, 2020 from 1 to 2:30pm. The discussion will be moderated by Blanche Staton, Senior Associate Dean and Director of the Office of Graduate Education.

This event is open to all MIT constituents.

For accessibility requests or more information, reach out to OMP (Office of Minority Programs).

  1.  Our Voices, Our Histories: Asian American and Pacific Islander Women

October 27, 2020, 6:00-7:30PM

Zoom event (Register<https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_DHow3mJ1RveiexaCXsYD7w>)

More Info<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/gcws-events-list/our-voices-our-histories>

Join a panel of authors featured in a new anthology for an intergenerational conversation on the voices and histories of Pacific Islander, South Asian, and Southeast Asian American women in this contemporary period.

Attendees can purchase the book for 30% off and free domestic shipping. A code will be sent after the event.

Our Voices, Our Histories brings together thirty-five Asian American and Pacific Islander authors in a single volume to explore the historical experiences, perspectives, and actions of Asian American and Pacific Islander women in the United States and beyond.

This volume is unique in exploring Asian American and Pacific Islander women’s lives along local, transnational, and global dimensions. The contributions present new research on diverse aspects of Asian American and Pacific Islander women’s history, from the politics of language, to the role of food, to experiences as adoptees, mixed race, and second generation, while acknowledging shared experiences as women of color in the United States.

Our Voices, Our Histories showcases how new approaches in US history, Asian American and Pacific Islander studies, and Women’s and Gender studies inform research on Asian American and Pacific Islander women. Attending to the collective voices of the women themselves, the volume seeks to transform current understandings of Asian American and Pacific Islander women’s histories.

  1.  Better Sleep with Relaxation and Yoga - "viva la COvida! Life During COVID"

During this pandemic, more people than ever report difficulties sleeping. With everything remote, we expect to have more time but we somehow never do. Rushing from meeting to meeting, from class to class, with our regular exercise patterns disrupted and our meals hastily concocted, how do we find even just a moment to decompress? In this short session, Zan Barry, Senior Program Manager in Community Wellness at MIT Medical, discusses relaxation techniques that help with better sleep and less stress during waking hours.

This workshop will provide health information about how to get better quality sleep, and will include a brief sequence of yoga stretches that may be practiced as a self-care routine before bed. Please wear comfortable clothing. No yoga experience necessary.

Come if you're anxious and stressed; leave with the knowledge how you can help yourself relax!

RSVP here<https://engage.mit.edu/event/6540670>.

  1.  Data Feminism - Talk by Catherine D'Ignazio as part of the Feminism+ series

Data is everywhere: from our social media posts, home addresses, biometric passports to our face  circumference and heartbeat, data is collected, researched, and monetized. But can data science  be feminist? How can feminist thought contribute to data research to ensure that data is used fairly  and equitably? Professor Catherine D’Ignazio (Department of Urban Planning and Studies and  Director of the Data+Feminism Lab) answers these and similar questions drawing from her recent  book, Data Feminism, coauthored with Lauren Klein.

RSVP here<https://engage.mit.edu/event/6540731>.

  1.  WISDM at the gwaMIT Empowerment Conference
gwaMIT’s 2020 Empowerment Conference Keynote Speaker is Dr. Ritu Raman, founder of the Women in Innovation and STEM Database at MIT (WISDM<https://innovation.mit.edu/wisdm/>). Learn more about WISDM below:
[https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/uzjSu2x_2aFsMhTZM2DATa2M40HPwBUL0XHE5GmIfJxrsZ95BraaGd_WUV_Nzd8I6ambSvmOcDKY9r7AlbahduBaU4IJNVXXcusv4WI2X78NSB5AA9bsx5alrXrsI_0urE0I-o4i]
MIT Innovation Initiative is pleased to share a digital community designed to magnify the work and voices of the incredibly innovative women at MIT: WISDM—the Women in Innovation and STEM Database at MIT.
WISDM <https://innovation.mit.edu/wisdm/> is a curated searchable database of women in STEM and Innovation at MIT that makes it easy to find talented and diverse innovators to speak at events, collaborate on new ventures, or serve as key opinion leaders on emerging technology. It’s more than a website – it’s a community that elevates and promotes the visibility of MIT women.
Who is able to join?
Current MIT graduate students, postdocs, technical associates, or research staff members are eligible to join and can sign up using this short form<https://innovation.mit.edu/sign-up-for-wisdm/>. WISDM welcomes those who are pursuing STEM education or research, or have work experience in for-profit or non-profit STEM ventures.
The most valuable conversations are sparked by diverse voices. WISDM makes those voices easier to find.  Support women in STEM: join, share, and use WISDM in your community to ensure that women’s voices, stories, and perspectives are a part of every conversation.

  1.  D. E. Shaw Research -- Virtual Information Sessions

It is our pleasure to invite you to attend a virtual information session about D. E. Shaw Research<https://www.deshawresearch.com/> (DESRES).  Whether you’re familiar with our group, or this is the first you’re hearing of us, this session will offer you an opportunity to learn more about DESRES and our research and engineering projects.  We will also briefly talk about the full-time and internship opportunities in our group.  We will be organizing four such information sessions in the next couple of months (details below) that will include similar content, so please mark your calendar and attend the one that would work best for your schedule.

Thursday, October 22, 2020 – 12:00-1:30 PM ET, https://primetime.bluejeans.com/a2m/live-event/xeepakcv, Speakers: Elizabeth Decolvenaere<https://www.deshawresearch.com/people_c-b_decolvenaere.html>, Yakov Pechersky<https://www.deshawresearch.com/people_c-b_pechersky.html>

At the time of the event, we would recommend opening the link in a browser on your computer (rather than a phone or tablet).  We hope you will be able to join us.

For more information about the group and current opportunities, please review our brochure<https://www.dropbox.com/s/u71gf7gsquz30iw/DESRES_Brochure_2020_Virtual%20Info%20Session%20%28Combined%29.pdf?dl=0>.  If you’d like to apply, please click on the link in the description of the position that is most relevant to your background

  1.  Grad Technical Leadership Virtual Workshops (Fall 2020)

The MIT-Gordon Engineering Leadership Program (GEL) and the Graduate Student Advisory Group for the School of Engineering (GradSAGE) encourage you to enhance your MIT graduate experience and enroll in the Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership Program. Linked is a summary of the interim certificate requirements<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-students/graduate-certificate-technical-leadership-interim-requirements>.

We would also urge you to attend our upcoming Fall 2020 Grad Technical Leadership Workshop Series, which can be used to help satisfy the certificate program requirements. (*Please note— If you are working towards to the Grad Certificate in in Technical Leadership you only need to attend four out of six workshops over the entire course of your time as a grad student.)

All of the following workshops will be held virtually from 5:30-7:30pm EDT:

Leading at the Intersection of Management and Engineering - Led by Joan Rubin. Thursday, October 22

Week of November 2 Workshop TBD - (Speaker and topic to be announced.)

Technology Roadmapping and Innovation in the 21st Century (Part 1) - Led by Oli de Weck. Tuesday, November 17

Technology Roadmapping and Innovation in the 21st Century (Part 2) - Led by Oli de Weck. Tuesday, December 1

Register for the certificate program and/or any or all workshops by emailing Lisa Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu<mailto:lstag at mit.edu>)

  1.  Public Guest Lectures: Black Mobility and Safety in the US

For zoom information, please click here.<https://www.media.mit.edu/posts/public-guest-lectures-black-mobility-and-safety-in-the-us/>

MIT Course Numbers: I Fall 2020 MAS.S63, II Spring 2021 MAS.S63

Ekene Ijeoma’s Black Mobility and Safety in the US<https://www.media.mit.edu/courses/black-mobility-and-safety-in-the-us/?utm_source=MLWeekly&utm_campaign=7e93967084-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_09_03_07_40&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dee7222423-7e93967084-156224157> course this fall will include a series of public guest lectures co-sponsored by ACT around living while Black. The first semester's topics will include birthing, breathing, sleeping, eating, and walking while Black; the second semester will include learning, voting, driving, working, and loving while Black.

The two-semester public lecture series organized by Ekene Ijeoma, founder and director of Poetic Justice at MIT Media Lab, explores issues around mobility (physical, mental, socio-economical, political, etc) and safety for Black Americans. It's organized into two-week topics around living while Black. Read more at: https://www.media.mit.edu/posts/public-guest-lectures-black-mobility-and-safety-in-the-us/.

Fall  (Zoom<https://mit.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUqcO-hrz8qGtDBsu_3dCAa5QAi3_x-VnWp>)

October 20 @ 2-3 pm | Sleeping while Black II: Dr. Danielle L. Beatty Moody<http://www.daniellelbeattymoodyphd.org/> (UMBC<https://psychology.umbc.edu/corefaculty/beatty/>)

October 27  @ 2-3 pm | Eating while Black I:  Dr. Ashanté M. Reese<http://www.mamboanthro.com/bio/> (UTA)

November  3  @ 2-3 pm | Eating while Black II:  TBD

November 10 @ 2-3 pm | Walking while Black I: Professor Elijah Anderson (Yale University)<https://sociology.yale.edu/sites/default/files/pages_from_sre-11_rev5_printer_files.pdf>

November 17 @ 2-3 pm | Walking while Black II: Topher Sanders (ProPublica)<https://www.propublica.org/series/walking-while-black>

  1.  PhagePro – scientist positions open!

PhagePro is a discovery-driven venture spun out of the Camilli Lab at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston. We aim to use bacteriophages (phages), which are viruses that specifically target and kill bacteria, to prevent bacterial infections. With the unmitigated rise of antibiotic resistance and the known negative consequences of gut dysbiosis caused by broad-spectrum antibiotics, bacteriophages provide a side effect-free alternative for preventing disease in clinical and community contexts.

PhagePro’s CEO, Mimi Yen, is passionate about increasing diversity in the life sciences. PhagePro is currently hiring for two positions: Scientist I and Scientist II. More details about these roles can be found on the company website<https://www.phageproinc.com/>.

  1.  Scientists in Solidarity

Scientists in Solidarity<https://www.scientistsinsolidarity.org/> (SIS) was founded in June 2020 by three Boston-based friends in the life sciences who have championed and supported each other through the difficulties of navigating  spaces that focus on diversity but not inclusion and equity. We created SIS to address the need for a community that supports BIPOC in STEM. During these unprecedented times, we need to show up for each other as #ScientistsInSolidarity.

  1.  Full-Stack App Developer Internship Opportunity

Position: We are seeking a full-stack developer intern to join our team to refine our mobile application. The back-end currently uses a Python Django framework, and the front-end was built using React Native. The intern will need to dedicate 10-15 hours per week to our venture. Depending on performance and if desired, the intern will also have the opportunity to join our team (still on a part time basis) and receive equity in our business.

Background: Loneliness and depression are on the rise, and younger workers, who make up 67M individuals in the USA, feel it most - 71% say they feel alone due to work and life transitions and the lack of a support system (Cigna). This problem is expected to only worsen post COVID-19 with many jobs will move virtually, giving young workers little to no way to meet new people.

The Company: We are an early-stage startup that aims to revolutionize the way young professionals form social and professional connections to combat the aforementioned issues. Through extensive research, surveys, and conversations, we have found promising evidence for widespread usage of a sleek, easy-to-use mobile application that specifically targets young professionals. We have built a minimum-viable product and were accepted by the Founders Institute Accelerator (has helped founders raise over $950M in funding) as well as Halo Incubator's Fall 2020 cohort. We have started conversations with potential investors and plan to launch our app in Summer 2021.

Requirements:

1) Ability to debug and refine existing code to ensure the app is functioning smoothly and as efficiently as possible

2) Ability to embed additional functionality to enhance the user experience. For example, we would like content displayed to change depending on a user’s location.

3) Not required but a plus - Familiarity of backend app deployment on servers, supporting HTTP and websocket connections (need to host the Django App over multiple server machines with the load distributed with a load balancer if needed or through another hosting platform)

If interested, please email kd2746 at columbia.edu<mailto:kd2746 at columbia.edu> and manasa.grandhi at gmail.com<mailto:manasa.grandhi at gmail.com>

  1.  Get Ready to Vote in 2020! National Voter Registration Day & Vote by Mail Information

Make Your Voting Plan!
Voting in the general election has already begun in many states! Have you made your voting plan yet? Decide when and how you are going to vote (e.g., early in person, by mail) and see the relevant information below:
Register to Vote: Register at TurboVote<https://mit.turbovote.org/> - don’t miss these key steps<http://vote.mit.edu/turbovote-help/TurboVote_Instructions.pdf>. Registration deadlines in many states are coming up very soon - check here<https://www.vote411.org/select-state> for your state and plan ahead.
Vote by Mail: Request your ballot ASAP (can use TurboVote<https://mit.turbovote.org/>) and return your ballot as soon as you receive it, either by mail or using a ballot drop box - check here<https://www.vote411.org/select-state> to find a drop box location near you, to ensure that your ballot arrives on time. Locations of ballot drop boxes in Cambridge can be found here<https://www.cambridgema.gov/covid19/voting>.
Vote Early In Person: Check the dates and locations for early voting in your state here<https://www.vote411.org/select-state>. Information about early voting in Cambridge is here<https://www.cambridgema.gov/covid19/voting>.
Poll Worker Recruitment: Covid has led to poll worker shortages in many places. Learn about how to help staff your local polling place here<https://www.powerthepolls.org/>.
Voting Questions and Resources: Contact MITvote<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdYUQwM9_WcuLZxaBVWHfcy3TKGEzJZNiErjFP3t3UMFZxqZQ/viewform> with any voting questions and check out MITvote’s website<https://vote.mit.edu/> for more voting resources.

  1.  The Social Scientist Mentorship Program

The Social Scientist is a nonprofit initiative for career guidance and advice in the STEM fields. In order to provide resources for all, The Social Scientist is an online platform for STEM mentorship. Our core program model aims to provide a global community of higher education students and professionals that are accessible and willing to dedicate their time for mentorship. We are an interdisciplinary group of diverse mentors that engage with young students and advocate for those already immersed in the STEM fields.  https://www.thesocialscientist.org

We connect with mentees in an informal setting to encourage a relaxed and easy conversation. The Social Scientist mentors can speak upon their education, career path and provide valuable insight on the nature of their work. From graduate students to industry directors, all of our mentors have diverse backgrounds and endured their own struggles and success with their career trajectory. We currently have enlisted STEM volunteers from across the world in Academia, Engineering, Industry, Writing/Publishing, US Government, Technology, Mathematics and Alternative Careers. We follow up with every inquirer after their chat to ensure a high-quality interaction with the mentors and establish an ongoing relationship between them and The Social Scientist. Additionally, our mentors have set up ongoing communication with their mentees to provide stable and long-term mentorship. Mentorship is critical at every stage of one’s career and we aim to create opportunities in STEM that are not equally and widely available. Currently, 67% of our mentors are women in STEM.

  1.  Outreach Opportunities with Science Club for Girls

Science Club for Girls (SCFG)<https://www.scienceclubforgirls.org> is a nonprofit organization whose mission is “to foster excitement, confidence, and literacy in STEM for girls, particularly those from underrepresented communities, by providing free, experiential programs and by maximizing meaningful interactions with women STEM mentors.”

Mentors: SCFG is looking for volunteers to serve as mentor scientists and lead fun, hands-on science experiments with girls of ages ranging from kindergarten to 8th grade. This semester, the program will be virtual via Zoom and all materials will be provided by SCFG. Virtual clubs will run for 8 weeks beginning the week of Oct. 5 and will be held at the following times:

Tuesdays 3-5pm

Thursdays 3-5pm

Saturdays 10am-12pm

There will be a mandatory online training session on Saturday, September 26 from 9:30am-12pm.

Please register to be a mentor by filling out this application<https://www.tfaforms.com/4824242>.

SCFGLive Committee: SCFG is also seeking volunteers to assist with video editing and production, script writing, advertising and outreach, and conducting interviews for their weekly Live SCFG programming<https://www.scienceclubforgirls.org/scfglive>  If interested in joining the SCFGLive Committee, please send an email to hweinstock at scienceclubforgirls.org.

Other Volunteer Opportunities: If you are not able to commit to weekly mentoring or participating in the SCFGLive Committee but would still like to volunteer, you can find other options for SCFG volunteer opportunities here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfNw2UKUqiU66lh-npPw0vOp2qAHGfiT4YlFurlcsGupQQitA/viewform>

  1.  STEMxx Chats

STEMxx Chats is helping trainees, especially women in STEM, succeed in their career paths and in life. At MIT, our predominant benefit will be to undergrads and graduate students. We will address key gaps in facilitating their career development with particular emphasis on professional development tricks and soft skills that they’re not getting in any systematic way. We hope to offer mentorship, support and guidance while addressing key gaps in facilitating their career development. We hope to create a group culture that is uniquely focused on the person, has a high positive tone, emphasizes positive impact, and seeks to do this in a sustained way and have personal friendships form as opposed to one-and-done activities. We hope that creating a culturally and academically diverse group at MIT will allow you to share similar experiences while benefitting from the resources and events of the greater STEMxx Chats community. Below is the interest form for those wanting to join. We will host monthly meetings in addition to the broader STEMxx Chats events (eg. panels on career decisions, key speakers from top women in STEM, etc). We also have Twitter and Instagram (@stemxx_chats) for those who want to learn about the latest events.

Feel free to reach out to the organizers (Shirley Chen, schenxy at mit.edu and Mariana Avila, avilam at mit.edu) if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Website: https://aliceestanton.wixsite.com/aliceestanton/stemxxchats

Interest form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxDhfUz57xILhrgSkIGwUYufkRhrzyxfbRC81wA6pMQByyQA/viewform?usp=pp_url

  1.  The IDHR Student Advisory Committee is looking for more students to join this year!

MIT’s Institute Discrimination & Harassment Response<http://idhr.mit.edu/> Office (IDHR) is dedicated to preventing and addressing discrimination and discriminatory harassment across the Institute. The Student Advisory Committee<https://idhr.mit.edu/our-office/get-involved/student-advisory-committee> is made up of undergraduate and graduate students from across the Institute who provide feedback and input to the IDHR office regarding our messaging and outreach campaigns and help us most effectively engage with the student body. In addition to monthly committee meetings, the student advisory committee has two subcommittees focused on: 1) institutional advocacy and 2) messaging & partnerships. To get involved, contact idhr-education at mit.edu<mailto:idhr-education at mit.edu>​​

  1.  MITxHarvard Women in AI Group

Are you interested in Artificial Intelligence? Curious about neural networks, GANs, reinforcement learning, neuro-symbolic approaches, or program induction? If you don’t know what any of those are, but want to learn, think, and discuss not only the technical side of machine learning and AI, but the ethics of AI and applications to biomedicine, cognitive science, environmental sciences, and more! Then we’d love to have you join the MITxHarvard Women in AI Group!!

We are a new initiative spanning both MIT and Harvard, composed of undergraduate and graduate students, seeking to provide a welcoming, supportive community for students excited about AI (no prior background is needed!!)

Our group centers around two prongs: 1) aiming to bring together students of all backgrounds to talk about AI in a supportive community via Zoom paper reading sessions, lightning talks, project sessions, and a fun Slack page! and 2) developing outreach material to get other students excited about AI! We’ve already begun an interview series with amazing women in tech from professors at Harvard, MIT, and Caltech to researchers at DeepMind and Microsoft! This will be posted on our website and YouTube shortly, and we are eager to have more student interviewers on board! If you want to meet other cool students at MIT and Harvard or want to help with our interview series, outreach, and more, please sign-up here: https://tinyurl.com/mitharvardwai<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Fmitharvardwai%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR09t8hzcjSGIrTn9svLmU5Xhisb1llWs8ly84av5cDf406_47KdVAEuqBo&h=AT1QrLxISgTmJtxzinOvL3tkkcrqcnRyrang_ahmhjmgHzblO5YayvhoLx4euu9Y4KcMHJt4vbf9BbPHiFWnzY8LuV8voyXFims5iCAonHXAMvb6S_fD9Cuv4Wv8RzcWcVhCq-xvtQg>

Feel free to check out our initial website https://web.mit.edu/women-ai/ or reach out to wai_exec at mit.edu  if you have questions or want to learn more!!

  1.  Join GrasshoppHer’s #braveboldboundless

Looking to build your resume and meet company executives?

Want to help solve problems of social equity in the workplace?

We have the perfect opportunity for you!

We are GrasshoppHer, a mobile app for both companies and individuals that connects female and non-binary mentees and mentors, and we are organizing our inaugural #braveboldboundless Ideathon! In the wake of the BLM movement and the COVID crisis, it has become apparent that our workplaces are not as equal as we initially thought. And in true millennial fashion, WE’RE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

We want to hear from YOU on how the workplace can become more inclusive across racial and gender lines. Additionally, by participating you will have the chance to win:

A $500 cash prize

Mentorship from a sponsoring company on implementing your idea

An invitation to a winners-round table with sponsoring companies

And many more!

Additionally this ideathon is a great opportunity to build your network as we will have representatives from major firms in consulting, banking, media, tech, retail, CPG and many other industries!

If sparking meaningful change within workplaces across the nation is something you are interested in, check out our ideathon flyer.<https://rlink.re/l/235386c1/c1b5/44e3/bea9/714763a5e230>

  1.  Become a gwaMIT department rep!

gwaMIT is accepting applications for the position of department representatives! As a gwaMIT department rep, you'll build connections across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and responsibilities here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>. Fill out the short application form here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>. Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are encouraged to apply. The departments with openings are: Sloan, ChemE, Arch, PolSci, HASTS, Humanities, Writing, NSE, CCWCE, CMS, CSB, MAS, CRE, CCE, CTL, EECS. If the position is currently filled, but you are still interested in being involved with gwaMIT, email us to let us know! We have multiple avenues for engagement in gwaMIT's activities and initiatives.

  1.  Sign up for the GradDiversity Newsletter

The GradDiversity Newsletter is a biweekly newsletter that features events, opportunities, and resources for Graduate Students of Color. You can sign up here<https://oge.mit.edu/graddiversity/graddiversity-newsletter/>!

“When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful”

-Malala