[GWAMIT] GWAMIT stands in solidarity with BLM

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Jun 9 08:14:04 EDT 2020

Dear GWAMIT members,

In light of the recent tumultuous and painful events, we would like to
affirm that GWAMIT is committed to supporting Black graduate womxn at MIT
and the Black Lives Matter movement through immediate and long-term
actions. The issues of racism are deeply intertwined with the issues of
gender-based discrimination, and we firmly believe that fighting for racial
justice plays a fundamental role in serving the goals of our organization.

Thank you for your patience in these trying times. The GWAMIT board has
been working to develop a plan that will outline actionable steps our
organization can take to better serve the Black womxn of our community. The
plan will address GWAMIT’s mission to support diversity, equity, and
inclusion initiatives within departments and across the broader MIT
administration, as well as reforms to diversify our events and community
outreach. We will share this plan with the public in the next few weeks,
and communicate our progress in meeting these goals with full transparency
to our members.

The fight for justice does not stop at the end of a news cycle. We will
continually fight for reforms at the administrative level and within our
own organization to make MIT a place where Black womxn and students are
supported in their professions and communities.

We recognize that we have a long road ahead, and we will not have all the
answers right away. If you have a comment or suggestion for our board, or
would like to get involved, we want to hear from you. Fill out the
following form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfhUNtHZy2U_n9D8OlNBAb6EBBiOoP3jXx_8SQEaTp2_CXyxw/viewform?usp=sf_link>
and we will do our best to address it in our long-term mission.

In solidarity,

GWAMIT executive board 2019-20