[GWAMIT] GW@MIT Newsletter, June 1st, 2020

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jun 1 14:47:20 EDT 2020

*GWAMIT Newsletter*

*June 1st, 2020*

*GWAMIT stands in solidarity with Black lives and those fighting against
white supremacy. Here are some resources to engage with now and always.*

*What can I do?*

- Resources compiled by Black Lives Matter
<https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/>

- 10 Steps to Non-Optical Allyship
<https://twitter.com/mireillecharper/status/1266335563197501440>

- How to Protest Safely During a Pandemic
<https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7kzk3b/do-face-masks-protect-against-coronavirus?emci=8e1ac5b8-8ca2-ea11-86e9-00155d03b5dd&emdi=5a8106a2-8ea2-ea11-86e9-00155d03b5dd&ceid=277185>

- How to Support Protestors in Every City
<https://www.papermag.com/where-to-donate-protests-minneapolis-2646128317.html?rebelltitem=5#rebelltitem5>

- This Is on Us: 7 Things for White People to Commit to Right Now to
Protect Black Lives from the Police
<https://www.autostraddle.com/this-is-on-us-7-things-for-white-people-to-commit-to-right-now-to-protect-black-lives-from-the-police/?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=03a3b8294eb10398351c86749d34629e8312602a-1591019757-0-Adsd7H45eO_vxXQ4GiODq-pk1-so0Ot_j1Y6GXuqdGbTah-3JBPbZUoWjpGL-b21FDjbQ_WFC8qj5uo2xjWFnOj2s6jVQai-lJVPBbNzVjnIAPd79CD3rPwYvQ2OBbfbLBoguT2f2b1-oZjhIxNJ3FB5at5up7UIXTSznSxYwjJpyAEJdeezGYTcpzEpRme_8clV-FdWDIGzJzFJOeFc9lLRBf1nnn6wlg7TPJKl4JDqWjhcK-_XK6s8RzCFlKjy4gBY7b7LaXiRZ8MIRYK6DYR3DQtmI90vFCCPupRdZZvwcYzliGyxR0udY0fdM2MYlVzfsMGi6Zp0OYTa1o_Nwwi_2nW4ryAOYD2gzf3toVJmzQZDBXWK8yiO4Xf5G16xO5lFvGxsfP55yKw3TM1U4jEKR90sPZ39J8ogaO0Ygxl6>

- 5 Ways White People Can Take Action in Response to White and
State-Sanctioned Violence
<https://medium.com/@surj_action/5-ways-white-people-can-take-action-in-response-to-white-and-state-sanctioned-violence-2bb907ba5277>

*What should I think about?*

- Where is the outrage for Breonna Taylor?
<https://medium.com/@rscott14/where-is-the-outrage-for-breonna-taylor-f2f7ed762e79>

- Millions of Amy Coopers
<https://www.thecut.com/2020/05/why-amy-cooper-called-the-cops.html>

- When Feminism is White Supremacy in Heels
<https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/a22717725/what-is-toxic-white-feminism/>

- Anti-Racism Resources
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BRlF2_zhNe86SGgHa6-VlBO-QgirITwCTugSfKie5Fs/preview?pru=AAABcnX07hc*Pm8gUUGqTq4TxCwAWKNadg&fbclid=IwAR0Oy7DHbJZDHQNdJJ66xTGwSzjIwbfZDlFmpRGTooUTfYn0c_kAThbYUvg>

*How can I heal?*

- Therapy for Black Girls <https://therapyforblackgirls.com/>

- Self-Care Tips for Black People who are Struggling with this Very Painful
Week
<https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g5pgmq/self-care-tips-for-black-people-struggling-from-painful-week>

- Overcoming Trauma
<https://www.essence.com/news/breathwork-heal-black-trauma/>

*An MIT Community Vigil*
Tuesday, June 2 at 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time
https://mit.zoom.us/j/99556417655
<http://inj9.mjt.lu/lnk/AMsAAHSuJW4AAcrjXaAAAAA8nhAAAYCq_WoAJMCNAAiQzwBe1SJJ0NYRGPD5Ss2UFBv_hh3wEwAIIWc/1/i_XYvdqh5yqBTpJIxhvu-A/aHR0cHM6Ly9taXQuem9vbS51cy9qLzk5NTU2NDE3NjU1>
Password: 862788

Open to the MIT community, touchstone access required

*Did you know? Here is some positive women-related news from around the
world: *

Jessica Watkins could be the first person to walk on Mars! She graduated
from NASA’s newest astronaut class in January and is also a leading
candidate to step foot on the moon by the end of 2024. Read more about her
journey here
<https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-first-footprints-on-mars-could-belong-to-this-geologist>.
She joins an inspiring list of Black women astronauts- Mae Jemison, Yvonne
Darlene Cagle, Stephanie D. Wilson, Joan E. Higginbotham and Jeanette J.
Epps!

*Join the GWAMIT Board!*

We are recruiting for our *Co-Chair position *for the 2020-21 academic
year. Prior experience with GW at MIT is not necessary to apply. If you’re
interested in joining the board, please fill out the following application
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16OZ-bQQWzNEscna2E99sAyK0OyaV0CTGUZ5Dq2Lpm40/viewform?edit_requested=true>
. *We'll be closing the application June 5th, so please apply before then!*

*Apply now to join the NE GWiSE Executive Board!*

*When:* Now through June 7th at 11:59pm

*Contact:* new.england.gwise at gmail.com

You can find information about the positions here
<https://wordpress.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f9683091e5e6edc8c7d68e14&id=222d4f729f&e=146cb01cc1>
 and *apply **here*
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfP1Url1_CZxxWK0j_rf8rhtejXwQeaah02s6Or30fcHcoZ9A/viewform?usp=sf_link>
*!*

*Womxn from underrepresented backgrounds in STEM are especially encouraged
to apply.*

We hope you're all staying safe and healthy. We have found that connecting
with others has been a source of comfort and motivation in these trying
times and feel that it's more important than ever to build
community.  Universities are currently focusing on rebuilding daily
routines so existing campus climate issues will likely be low priority. * Now
is the time to continue focusing on diversity and inclusion efforts*,
especially as this crisis situation will exacerbate systemic inequities,
affecting more vulnerable graduate student populations such as racial,
ethnic, and gender minorities. In light of this, we feel our mission is as
relevant as ever during these times and are looking for motivated graduate
students to work with us.

We are currently accepting applications for our* 2020-2021 NE GWiSE
Executive Board!* Being part of the NE GWiSE Executive Board is a great
opportunity to connect with graduate womxn across New England.

*The mission of NE GWiSE is to support ideas and actions to increase
diverse representation of womxn in STEM departments, create fair and
positive workplace environments, increase the support and mentorship womxn
receive, and enact equitable university and federal policies.  Work
together with us to improve the graduate experience for womxn across New
England! Learn more at **https://negwise.org/* <https://negwise.org/>

If you have any questions, please reach out to us at
new.england.gwise at gmail.com!
[image: image.jpeg]

[image: image.png]