[GWAMIT] GW@MIT Newsletter, July 27th, 2020

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jul 27 08:17:33 EDT 2020

*GWAMIT Newsletter*

*July 27th, 2020*

*GWAMIT Logo Design Competition*

Looking for a new quarantine project? Or maybe you’re itching for an
opportunity to stretch those digital art muscles? GWAMIT has a project for
you.

*We’re rebranding*. *And we’d like you to be a part of it.* Ten years ago,
GWAMIT was founded for the purpose of supporting the professional
development, individual growth, and empowerment of *all graduate womxn at
MIT*, while enhancing connections between existing groups. Our current logo
includes the female gender symbol, which we recognize is not inclusive of
all the identities that our organization represents. Until we select a new
logo (see Logo Design Competition), we will be removing the gender symbol.
We’re looking internally to ways we can promote inclusivity within our
organization and its membership—and that starts with making sure that all
those who recognize our logo can see themselves represented accordingly.

*What we’re looking for:*

*A simple, scalable, inclusive logo* that *doesn’t set boundaries on how
womxn are defined. *Too much detail in a logo will make it difficult to
print. Your logo should look acceptable in grayscale. For more
recommendations on good logo design, see this link
<https://info.4imprint.com/wp-content/uploads/developing-a-logo-4imprint.pdf>
.

*Deadline: August 7, 2020 11:59PM ET*

*Prize*

GWAMIT apparel with your designed logo + succulent garden

*Application materials*

   1. Original files (see below for correct file format)
   2. A short (300 word max) explanation of your design and how it promotes
   inclusivity

To: Email all application components to gwamit-exec at mit.edu with the
tag-line “GWAMIT logo design competition”

*Please note that if your artwork is selected, you will be asked to sign an
official agreement giving GWAMIT express use of the logo design.

*File formats*

Vector art: AI or EPS (Suggested software: Adobe illustrator, Corel Draw,
Inkscape)

Other formats: If not vector art, submissions must be at least 300 dpi.
Accepted file formats include: .jpg, .tif, .png)

Color: Please specify in both RBG and CMYK color codes

*You may not*

Use clipart or art designed by another artist. All artwork must be original.

If you have questions regarding submission requirements, please contact the
GWAMIT exec board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu

*Become a GWAMIT department rep! (Apply by Aug. 15)*

*GWAMIT is accepting applications for the position of department
representatives! As a GWAMIT department rep, you'll build connections
across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate
womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change
and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts
for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and
responsibilities **here*
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>*.
Fill out the short application form **here*
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>*.
Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are
encouraged to apply. Apply by August 15th!*

*Did you know? Here is some women-related news from around the world: *

Read about *Karen Vega, the Mexican model taking the fashion world by storm*
<https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/english/karen-vega-mexican-model-taking-fashion-world-storm?amp>
!

AOC stands up for all women in this powerful speech to Congress, by *calling
out Rep. Yoho for his bad behavior and all those who accost women with
impunity* <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Xjv03Qrtc>

Feeling stressed and can’t figure out why? The Harvard Business Review
breaks down micro-stresses and offers helpful tips for combating it *Don’t
Let Micro-Stresses Burn You Out*
<https://hbr.org/2020/07/dont-let-micro-stresses-burn-you-out>

Girl power! *Madeline Swegle makes history as U.S. Navy's first Black
female tactical jet pilot*
<https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/13/madeline-swegle-becomes-us-navys-first-black-female-tactical-jet-pilot.html>

Now is not the time to forget about “hidden” work: *Perspective | Will
covid-19 lead to men and women splitting care work more evenly?*
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/05/12/will-covid-19-lead-men-women-splitting-care-work-more-evenly/>

 Kimberlé Crenshaw (who developed the theory of intersectionality) wrote
this piece on *The Precarity Of Black Girls’ Lives*
<https://www.essence.com/feature/the-precarity-of-black-girls-lives/>

And related to intersectionality: *We Cannot End Racism Without Listening
to Sexual Violence Survivors*
<https://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a33083004/racism-sexual-violence-survivors-agenda/>

Inspiring the next generation: *Girl Scouts Introduces 30 New Badges to
Power Girl Leadership*
<https://blog.girlscouts.org/2018/07/girl-scouts-introduces-30-new-badges-to.html?m=1>

*Check out this photo*
<https://www.pri.org/stories/2013-07-12/historical-photos-depict-women-medical-pioneers>
from 1885 depicting the first female doctors from Syria, Japan, and
India! *Read
more* <https://www.thetriangle.org/snowball/the-graduates/> about these
amazing medical pioneers here

*COVID-19 Resources*

GWAMIT has compiled a list of resources we are aware of to help graduate
women in our community. If you know of a resource that isn’t listed, please
let us know (gwamit-exec at mit.edu) so we can include it in the next
newsletter to share with the community.

MIT Grant for Graduate Students with Children - applications due by
September 30th!

https://oge.mit.edu/finances/grad-student-fin-assist/grad-students-with-children-grant/

Expanded back-up child care policy:
https://hr.mit.edu/worklife/backupchildcare

MIT Ombuds Office - ombudsoffice.mit.edu <http://ombuds.mit.edu/>

The Ombuds Office is available to offer support and assistance to the MIT
community in navigating these challenges and exploring constructive options
for success. We are available for phone or Zoom meetings and can also
facilitate online sessions and group discussions to help teams function and
support good communication skills during this challenging period.  To
schedule a meeting via phone or Zoom email kalina_s at mit.edu or call
617-253-5921. A tips sheet from Ombuds for having difficult conversations
can be found at the end of this newsletter.

Graduate student short-term emergency hardship funding:
https://engage.mit.edu/submitter/form/step/1?Guid=b180ffce-c28f-41f6-908b-387637df6396

GSC DEI open letter for COVID-relief:
https://mitgradstudentadvocates.weebly.com/

MIT Summer Opportunities & Resources: https://resources.mit.edu/summer

*Stay at Home Recommendations:*

*Something to do…*

Have you been posting a lot about BLM and recent advocacy efforts online
and want to make sure you keep up with your journey? The Ally Nudge
<https://www.nudgetext.com/ally> is a recently launched program aimed to
get information, digestible learning modules, and calls to action direct to
your phone.

*Something to read... *

*Fiction:* Check out Brit Bennett’s new novel, “The Vanishing Half”
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51791252-the-vanishing-half> And for
more Brit Bennett  check out this interview: *‘If You Can Perform
Whiteness, Then What Does It Mean to Be White?’*
<https://www.vulture.com/2020/06/brit-bennett-the-vanishing-half-interview.html>
)

*Non-Fiction: *Our newsletter quote today is inspired by Chanel Miller and
her book Know My Name
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50196744-know-my-name>. Read her
powerful memoir about sexual assault and the social, emotional, and legal
aftermath.

*Looking to borrow books without leaving the house?* The Minuteman library
network is doing temporary online membership which can be applied for here
<https://library.minlib.net/selfreg>!

*Something to watch…*

Relax (and feel inspired) with the RBG Documentary
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBG_(film)> on Hulu

Check out this hidden gem on Netflix about the queer asian-american
experience. Read the New York Times article on The Half of It
<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/movies/the-half-of-it-review.html>. See
the trailer here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-yhF7IScUE>.

*Something to listen to…*

NPR’s Podcast Code Switch and their recent episode *What's In A 'Karen'? *
<https://www.npr.org/2020/07/14/891177904/whats-in-a-karen>

As a bonus recommendation: our exec is talking non-stop about Taylor
Swift’s new album. Give it a listen on Spotify here.
<https://open.spotify.com/album/0xS0iOtxQRoJvfcFcJA5Gv>

*Something fun…*

Take a walk along Boston Women’s Heritage Trail
<https://bwht.org/ladies-walk/> ! The trail covers the monuments and
locations central to the independence struggle and celebrates the lives of
Abigail Adams, Lucy Stone, and Phillis Wheatley.

*Virtual Events & Opportunities*

*Day of Dialogue on Race and Anti-Racism – a day of dialogue, a lifetime of
learning *

August 5, 9:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m. Eastern time

Registration and program details will be available July 27.

•           You may sign up for one or more sessions, or for the whole day

•           If you would like an email alert when registration opens,
please let us know here
<http://inj9.mjt.lu/lnk/AMAAAHl9b3QAAcrj5TgAAAA8nhAAAAAAGqoAJM6AAAiQzwBfFZ72vFKSz5xfSlGWNPAjNqeMnQAIIWc/1/8xxTqQVkLZO2qaLdqOJRLw/aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3Jtcy5nbGUvTjFZNWVDV2NrRmdlQ2VENjc>

•           You can find more information about the day here
<http://inj9.mjt.lu/lnk/AMAAAHl9b3QAAcrj5TgAAAA8nhAAAAAAGqoAJM6AAAiQzwBfFZ72vFKSz5xfSlGWNPAjNqeMnQAIIWc/2/85fHkWgAP_Q6irLJnD5HXw/aHR0cDovL2RpdmVyc2l0eS5taXQuZWR1L2V2ZW50cy8yMDIwL21pdHMtZGF5LWRpYWxvZ3Vl>

*MindHandHeart Special July Funding*

MindHandHeart is offering a special July edition of the Community
Innovation Fund <http://mindhandheart.mit.edu/innovationfund>! Grants of up
to $10,000 are available to support projects that:

   - Build community and resilience in light of the Covid-19 pandemic
   - Advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and racial justice at MIT
   - Support mental and physical health
   - Encourage healthy sleep, eating, and exercise
   - Spread humor and joy
   - Welcome new members of the MIT community virtually

Students, students' spouses, staff, and faculty are welcome to *apply by
July 31st!*

If you have a project idea, I would love to meet with you to discuss it!
This spring, MindHandHeart supported a record 24 projects
<http://mindhandheart.mit.edu/index.php/innovation-fund/grant-recipients>―
check them out for inspiration.

Hope you're well and taking good care,

Maisie O'Brien, maisieob at mit.edu

Communications and Community Engagement Manager

MindHandHeart

*New Student Advocates for Survivors Group*

Student Advocates for Survivors, or SAS, is a new student group advocating
for better MIT policy supporting survivors and educating students about
reporting and support options. This includes advocating for more training
for all students and staff around responding to sexual assault, as well as
advocating for better Title IX policy and mental health resources at MIT.

We are looking for more people to join us! Here is a list of projects we
are beginning to work on. If you are interested, add yourself to sas at mit.edu
here. Anyone is welcome to join regardless of your past experiences.

Additionally, if you have any ideas of what we can do to support survivors,
please fill out this anonymous form. Feel free to also share any
experiences with Title IX, VPR, S3, etc.

*Èṣù’s Crossroads Cry: Black Epistemologies and Anti-Racist Struggle*

*Date and time:* Monday July 27, 6pm ET via Zoom webinar

*Register for the event here:* https://forms.gle/Piw28kWyD7guokeSA

*Learn more at:*
https://lit.mit.edu/news/e%e1%b9%a3us-crossroads-cry-black-epistemologies-and-anti-racist-struggle/

*Department of Energy Resources Job Opportunity - Emerging Technologies*

The Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources Emerging Technology
Division is currently hiring a Program Coordinator to support our electric
vehicle and Clean Cities Coalition programs. This is a great opportunity
for someone at the early stage of their career looking to gain experience
in energy policy focused on electric vehicle and infrastructure deployment,
the interaction of electric vehicles with electricity rates, energy
resilience, and grid support. While the focus will be on electric vehicles
and the Clean Cities program, the position will also be involved other
projects, programs, and policy development related to clean energy emerging
technologies like energy storage. You can find the job posting here
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__massanf.taleo.net_careersection_ex_jobdetail.ftl-3Fjob-3D2000052Q-26tz-3DGMT-2D04-253A00-26tzname-3DAmerica-252FNew-5FYork&d=DwMFAg&c=lDF7oMaPKXpkYvev9V-fVahWL0QWnGCCAfCDz1Bns_w&r=SUJ0tmD2TxBovaoBCr21o-OoRDEaTwnylQ5HExAKRTk&m=Mk6Xh1bwaEKJIM-9H9OflrskonPGniTmQ6Y3uYxj1-o&s=MunM8Y9EOQBReBIc20wM9DlEfgZdCNmb1qrE3mCoGcY&e=>
.

The Department of Energy Resources has a commitment to help create a clean,
affordable, and resilient energy future for the Commonwealth. Within that
commitment is an underlying aim to actively support diversity, equity, and
inclusion in the work we do and in our own workplace. The ideal candidate
would be committed to developing a strong understanding of the importance
of intersectional environmentalism within the work done at DOER, the
criticality of incorporating a diverse perspective in all of the work that
we do, and a commitment to inclusivity in all aspects of the job, both
internally, within DOER, and externally, among partner agencies, industry
stakeholders, and the general public.

*Civic Digital Fellowship*

The Civic Digital Fellowship <https://www.codingitforward.com/fellowship>
is a first-of-its-kind technology internship program for innovative
students to solve pressing problems in federal agencies. Students work
across software engineering, data science, product management, and
human-centered design to build high-impact projects that serve the American
people.

*The Fall Fellowship will be fully virtual and take place from
October-December. Students will receive a competitive stipend, one-on-one
mentorship, and access to exclusive professional and community programming.*

In order to apply, students must be U.S. citizens (due to federal hiring
regulations), currently enrolled in an

accredited institution of higher learning (with the exception of the Fall
2020 quarter/semester), and graduating no earlier than October 2020.

You can learn more about the Fellowship, eligibility criteria, and how to
submit an application by visiting our website
<https://www.codingitforward.com/fellowship>. If you’re interested in
hearing directly from our team, join us for an informational call
<https://forms.gle/JnadHHWBjhAPjka27> on *Sunday, July 26th at 3 p.m. PT/6
p.m. ET*.

Applications <https://codingitforward.smapply.io/prog/fall_fellowship/> are
due no later than *August 2 at 11:59 p.m. PT*.

*Virtual International Film Series*

Join MIT Global Languages for the launch of our Virtual International Film
Series! (see our site
<http://mitgsl.mit.edu/virtual-international-film-series> for the full
series list)

*Upcoming WEST Events*

7/28: Mindset Mastery: How to Gain Clarity and Create the Career You Want
<https://www.westorg.org/2020-07-28-career-mindset-webinar>

8/4: Building Meaningful Relationship for Your Career
<https://www.westorg.org/2020-08-04-career-network-webinar>

8/12: Walking the Tightrope: Mastering the Balance between Likability and
Respect <https://www.westorg.org/2020-08-12-leadership-respect-webinar>

9/24: Women and Wealth: Setting Your Course to a Strong Financial Future
<https://www.westorg.org/2020-09-24-women-wealth-financial>

*NAACP Housing Assistance*

Maryanne Kirkbride from MindHand Heart, Office of the Provost has shared
the housing assistance opportunity from the National Association for the
Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

This program is co-sponsored by the Mystic Valley Area NAACP Branch
<https://www.mva-naacp.org/housingassistanceinmysticvalley> and Century
Bank has established the NAACP Housing Assistance Program to improve
housing opportunities for low to moderate income families.

Up to $1,000.00 are available to qualified residents of Arlington, Everett,
Lexington, Somerville, Malden, Medford, Winchester, or Woburn.The
assistance can be used for down payment, closing costs, necessary repairs,
rent assistance, etc.

The application will only be open for a month starting July 3. To apply,
please complete the application form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NcoNC_MZSadAtiPcqDzAtp5V7OohFRdPXyo_V7U82oI/viewform?edit_requested=true>
.

*"Amplify Your Technical Education to Build a Better World!”*

Our Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership is offering a *Graduate
Certificate in Technical Leadership.* *A summary of the** interim
certificate requirements*
<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-students/graduate-certificate-technical-leadership-interim-requirements>*
is linked and attached*.

Leadership education develops skills applicable across career paths, from
leading research labs to leading project teams in engineering. Enroll in
one or both of our* Virtual Graduate Courses for Fall 2020, which qualify
towards our* *Certificate in Technical Leadership. *This certificate
is designed
to provide important skills that MIT graduate students can draw from to
"make a positive difference" in their chosen careers. Grounded in research
but experimental and engaging in delivery, these highly valued classes will
provide enduring benefits for our graduate students – and future
coworkers.  *PhD candidates can also explore the option of using these
classes to satisfy the requirements for your doctoral minor.

*GEL Virtual Grad Courses for Fall 2020 *(**Open to all grad students!)*:*

*6.928J Leading Creative Teams* <https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-creative-teams>

It takes a team to deliver impactful technical achievements and this class
equips students with foundational skills for leading problem-solving teams
and one’s own professional development.

Units: G3-0-6, M/W, 2:30-4pm

Taught Virtually, Instructor: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu)

*6.S978 Negotiation & Influence Skills for Technical Leaders*
<https://gelp.mit.edu/gel-grad-negotiation>

Expand your natural tendencies and learn experientially both the theory and
practice of interpersonal negotiation, influence and overcoming difficult
relationship situations.

Units: G2-0-4, T, 1-3pm

Taught Virtually, Instructor: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu)

***For more information, visit our *website. * <https://gelp.mit.edu/grad>

**If you are interested in earning our certificate, *please email Lisa
Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu) and David Niño (dnino at mit.edu)

*GCWS Remote Courses for Fall 2020*

The Consortium for Graduate Studies in Gender, Culture, Women, and
Sexuality (GCWS) is offering remote courses for Fall 2020. Please see brief
descriptions below. More details can be found on their website:
https://www.gcws.mit.edu/courses

*Workshop for Dissertation Writers in Women’s and Gender Studies*

Mondays, 4:00-7:00PM (meets every other week all year), taught by Dr. Karl
Surkan (MIT, WGS). More Info
<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/new-events/dissertationworkshop20>

*Visual Transgressions: Gendered Identities in Art and Culture*

Tuesdays, 2:00-5:00PM, taught by Dr. Gannit Ankori (Brandeis, Artist
History and Theory & WGSS) & Dr. Karl Surkan (MIT, WGS). More Info
<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/new-events/visual-transgressions>

*GCWS Upcoming Virtual Events *

GCWS is hosting several panels this summer that have been organized by an
interdisciplinary team of graduate student organizers from across our
member institutions. This was originally intended to be our SP20 graduate
student symposium
<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/gcws-events-list/technologies-of-resistance> but
has been reinvented into separate panels due to campus response to COVID in
March 2020. These panels are free and open to everyone.

 *EcoFeminisms: Rethinking our Interdependencies with the Planet*

July 30, 2020 at 11:00-12:30PM, More Info
<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/gcws-events-list/technologies-of-resistance-ecofeminisms>
, Register Here
<https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_DGSeB64FQUGLSUVekRei1A>

This panel seeks to critically engage with heritage from environmental
justice and ecofeminisms by asking questions such as: In the current time
of environmental crisis, how can we build affective solidarities with the
planet? What lessons can we learn from past debates and how to move toward
sustainable feminist futures without essentializing human beings, nature,
or technologies?

Speakers include:

·     Natali Valdez, Assistant Professor of Women’s and Gender Studies,
Wellesley College

·     Banu Subramaniam, Professor and Chair of Women, Gender, and Sexuality
Studies, UMass Amherst

·     Amy Agigian, Associate Professor of Sociology, Suffolk University

·     Heidi Hutner, Professor of Sustainability and English, Stony Brook
University

*Technology as Political Resistance*

July 30, 2020 at 3:00-4:30PM, More Info
<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/gcws-events-list/technologies-of-resistance-technology>
, Register Here
<https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_E5RnTZcISJGrsTBlgXv3Fw>

This panel will discuss how media and technology is deployed, negotiated
and redressed in activism. Engaging technologies such as hackathon, civic
media, data and computation, the panelists will share their stories of
making technology work for feminism, freedom, and justice.

Speakers include:

·     Alexis Hope, Designer and Researcher, MIT Media Lab

·     Lü Pin, Feminist Voices

·     Catherine D’Ignazio, Assistant Professor of Urban Science and
Planning, MIT

*Pedagogies of Resistance: Sharing Knowledge as a Political Act*

August 27, 2020 at 10:00-11:30AM, More Info
<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/gcws-events-list/technologies-of-resistance-pedagogies>
, Register Here
<https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_4p-E6N5NTcOOFDQjixfxSw>

This panel will reflect and discuss means to implement conscious pedagogies
of resistance, or critical pedagogy in the classroom and beyond. both in
and out of the classroom. Panelists will share how they draw on the
political through their teaching, in the subjects they teach, or the
methodologies they utilize.

Speakers include:

·     Kat Tanaka Okopnik, The Dictionary of Social Justice

·     Laura Nelson, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Northeastern
University

·     Brooke Foucault, Associate Professor of Communication Studies,
Northeastern University

·     Brandy Williams, Graduate Researcher in Early Modern Critical Race
and Gender Studies, University of Maryland at College Park

*Charitable Giving*

Are you donating to black-led organizations? Read this awesome post
<https://sisterstem.org/2020/06/23/black-women-in-stem-are-doing-the-work/>by
Netia McCray, founder of Mbadika (prepare yourself for some amazing Rihanna
gifs!)

Netia McCray is an MIT alum
<https://www.businessinsider.com/mbadika-founder-netia-mccray-black-panther-youtube-2018-3>!
Her local, Boston-based nonprofit organization Mbadika
<https://mbadika.org/>, which helps kids become "makers" and realize their
creative dreams with the equipment and technology support to make it happen.

Mbadika isn’t currently accepting donations on their website, but Netia
recommends several peer organizations that work to support URM
representation in STEM. Consider donating to: INTech Camp
<https://intechcamp.org/about/> , Vanguard STEM
<https://conversations.vanguardstem.com/> , The Glover Center
<https://www.degetc.org/> , and The Fab Lab <https://www.thefablab.com/>.

“*Do not become the ones who hurt you. Stay tender with your power. Never
fight to injure, fight to uplift. Fight because you know that in this life,
you deserve safety, joy, and freedom*"

-*Chanel Miller in "Know my Name":*