[GWAMIT] GW@MIT Newsletter, January 14th, 2020

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Jan 14 12:47:15 EST 2020

[cid:image001.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]
[cid:image002.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/gwamit>[cid:image003.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>[cid:image004.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>[cid:image005.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>[cid:image006.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>

Events overview:
GW at MIT Events:

1.      Stay tuned for great upcoming events in 2020!

2.     NE GWiSE Open Board Meeting (Jan. 27th)

3.     Save-the-date GW at MIT & Exponent Lunch (Mar. 6th)
Women-related events and opportunities:

4.     Upcoming IAP Grad Workshops

5.     IAP MIT TLO Intellectual Property Speaker Series

6.     Grad IAP & Spring 2020 Courses - Leverage Your Grad Degree to Change the World!

7.     Upcoming GCWS Courses in Spring 2020

8.     Spring Course Offerings at MIT

9.     Healthcare Management Course

10.  Using Self-Promotion Strategies to Raise Your Visibility, Increase Your Influence and Advance Your Career (Jan. 23rd)

11.   LBGT Grad Social Hours (Feb. 3rd, Mar. 2nd, Apr, 6th, May 4th)

12.  Hack for Inclusion (Feb. 21st-22nd)

13.  Giving & Receiving Feedback (Mar. 3rd)

14.  Advanced Analytics/Data Science Internships to Improve Health Outcomes

Did you know...?
Forbes recently released an article outlining the importance of allies and advocates for women in industry. This article summarizes a journal article in which over 200 men and women were interviewed to determine common behaviors that support advancement of women in the workplace successfully. Read the Forbes article here<https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2020/01/09/how-men-can-help-to-advance-women-in-the-workplace/#5ca115401bcc> and the journal article here<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1060826519883239?journalCode=mena#articleCitationDownloadContainer>.

[cid:image007.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]

1.    Stay tuned for great upcoming events in 2020!
Welcome back! We're busy planning some great events for 2020 - stay tuned!

2.   NE GWiSE Open Board Meeting

Interested in getting involved in a New England-wide group of womxn-identified graduate students focused on advocacy, professional development, and outreach? Check out NE GWiSE!

Upcoming event: Come learn more about us and how you can get involved at our Open Board Meeting!

When: Monday, January 27th 6:30-7:30pm

Where: Tufts Medford, room TBD

RSVP: https://forms.gle/jMy79D9ty2kKzMno8

Contact: Email us at new.england.gwise at gmail.com<mailto:new.england.gwise at gmail.com> if you have any questions or want to get involved! Also, the MIT school rep can be reached at mbird at mit.edu<mailto:mbird at mit.edu> .

Who we are: NE GWiSE is an alliance between groups of graduate womxn in STEM from universities across New England (BC, BU, Brandeis, Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, NEU, and Tufts). We are joining together to support and celebrate womxn-identified graduate students in STEM fields, to increase awareness of the issues we face, and create change within our community.

What we do:

Four main purposes:

  1.  Advocate across schools to improve the graduate experience, particularly for womxn students
  2.  Host large professional development events with speakers and students from multiple universities
  3.  Help graduate womxn's groups form and thrive at universities across the New England area
  4.  Host outreach activities to connect young womxn, particularly from underrepresented backgrounds, with current graduate womxn to encourage them to pursue graduate school

Two main events:

  1.  Summer Retreat (August): all day event which brings the constituents of NE GWiSE together to network, meet new members, and socialize around a central topic.
  2.  Spring to Action (March/April - March 7, 2020!): all day summit where local schools discuss issues present in academia and STEM fields. At the summit, attendees and invited speakers dissect the issues and devise tangible plans to advocate for systemic change within research institutions.

This year we are focused on diversity, inclusivity, and intersectionality as the theme tying together our two main events.

Ways to get involved:

1) Join our email list and attend our events.

2) Attend our upcoming Open Board Meeting on January 27th (information at the top)!

3) Help organize our upcoming Spring to Action by joining a committee here!

4) Join the executive board (application process starts in April)! Attend our open board meeting to find out more details. If you can't make it, reach out to us to let us know you're interested!

Check out our website (negwise.wordpress.com<https://negwise.wordpress.com/>) and social media (@NE_GWISE<https://twitter.com/ne_gwise> on Twitter, New England GWISE<https://www.facebook.com/groups/negwise> on Facebook, and ne_gwise<https://www.instagram.com/ne_gwise/> on Instagram)!

3.   Save-the-date GW at MIT & Exponent Lunch
Mark your calendars! GW at MIT and Exponent will be co-hosting a lunch on March 6th. More details to follow.

[cid:image008.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]

4.    IAP Grad Workshops on Engineering Leadership
Instructors: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu<https://owa.exchange.mit.edu/owa/14.3.339.0/scripts/premium/dnino@mit.edu>) and other GEL Graduate Program Instructors and Guests
Join us for these two workshops designed for MIT graduate students interested in "making a positive difference" in their chosen fields. Grounded in research but experiential and engaging in delivery, they will build practical skills that apply to engineering and technology environments.
The workshops will also provide a pre-view for graduate engineering students on how to earn a new Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership Program (GEL) certificate in engineering leadership, which will be based on the completion of our academic courses.  Doctoral engineering students can also learn how to combine our academic classes to satisfy minor requirements in selected graduate degree programs.
* Schedule:
Discovering and Developing Your Leadership Strengths
When: Monday, January 20th, 12:30pm-3:30pm
Room: TBD
Register: Email Lisa Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu<mailto:lstag at mit.edu>)
In this first session, you will learn how to discover your leadership strengths and invent career pathways for putting them to work.
Attendees will learn to:

  *   Discover your distinctive professional strengths.
  *   Identify work environments that can bring out your best.
  *   Explore strategies for securing jobs that align with your life aspirations.
Mastering Constructive Conflict
When: Wednesday, January 22nd, 12:30pm-3:30pm
Room: TBD
Register: Email Lisa Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu<mailto:lstag at mit.edu>)
In a safe and open environment, conflict can serve an essential role in building collective capacity for creativity, innovation, and group learning. Learn how conflict can achieve these constructive outcomes.
Attendees will learn to:

  *   Assess your own personal preferences for conflict.
  *   Become a better problem solver in groups.
  *   Increase your ability to deliver and receive critical feedback.

See website<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-students/grad-iap-workshops-2020> for additional details.

5.   Grad IAP & Spring 2020 Courses - Leverage Your Grad Degree to Change the World!
Leadership education develops skills applicable across career paths, from leading research groups to leadership roles in companies. Enroll in one or more of the Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership Program (GEL)'s new IAP workshops and/or spring graduate courses designed to help MIT graduate students learn and practice the skills needed to "make a positive difference" in their chosen careers. Grounded in research but experimental and engaging in delivery, these courses build and develop leadership skills for future engineers and technology professionals. (*PhD Candidates: Option to use leadership as your doctoral minor.) See attachment for more detailed course descriptions. For more information, please visit our website.<http://gelp.mit.edu/grad>
GEL IAP Winter Workshops (*Open to all grad students!):

  *   Discovering and Developing Your Leadership Strengths <https://gelp.mit.edu/gel-grad-iap>
          January 15 (Wednesday), 1-3pm
          Room 36-155
          Register: Email Lisa Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu<mailto:lstag at mit.edu>)
         Learn how to discover your leadership strengths and invent career pathways for putting them to work.

  *   Mastering Constructive Conflict <https://gelp.mit.edu/gel-grad-iap>
          January 17 (Friday), 1-3pm
          Room 36-155
          Register: Email Lisa Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu<mailto:lstag at mit.edu>)
         Learn how conflict can serve an essential role in building collective capacity for creativity, innovation, and group learning.
[cid:image009.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]
GEL Courses for Spring 2020 (*Open to all grad students!):

  *   6.928J Leading Creative Teams<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-creative-teams>
          MW 2:30-4pm, Units: 3-0-6
          Room: 4-149
          Instructors: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu<mailto:dnino at mit.edu>) and Marina Mattos (mgmattos at mit.edu<mailto:mgmattos at mit.edu>)
         Learn how to discover your leadership strengths and invent career pathways for putting them to work.

  *   6.S979 Multi-Stakeholder Negotiation for Technical Experts<https://gelp.mit.edu/6s979-multi-stakeholder-negotiation-technical-experts>
          T2-4pm, Units: 2-0-4
          Room: 33-116
          Instructors: Samuel (Mooly) Dinnar (sdinnar at mit.edu<mailto:sdinnar at mit.edu>) and Takeo Kuwabara (takeok at mit.edu<mailto:takeok at mit.edu>)
         Learn how conflict can serve an essential role in building collective capacity for creativity, innovation, and group learning.

6.   IAP MIT TLO Intellectual Property Speaker Series
Join the MIT Technology Licensing Office and MIT Libraries for a series of seminars on Intellectual Property during IAP 2020. Register here: https://mit_tlo.eventbrite.com/
In this series of free seminars, you'll hear from experts from MIT and other organizations in the Boston entrepreneurial ecosystem who will share their knowledge and best practices on IP topics including: patents, technology transfer, copyright and software, conflict of interest, research tools to support innovation strategy, public domain, venture capital, author rights, grant funding programs, and more!
Come meet and learn from experts from MIT Technology Licensing Office, MIT Libraries, Lincoln Laboratory, Osage University Partners, Venture Mentoring Services, SBIR Program, VU Venture Partners, and LiquidPiston.
These events include free lunch, and, if you attend at least 6 sessions, you'll receive free swag!
Hosted by: MIT Technology Licensing Office & MIT Libraries
[cid:image010.jpg at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]

7.   Upcoming GCWS Courses in Spring 2020
[cid:image012.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]Women in South Asia: Religion, Gender, Culture, & Sexuality
Tuesdays, 3:00-6:00PM
Harleen Singh, Brandeis University
Ayesha Irani, UMass Boston
Learn more and apply<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/new-events/womensouthasia>
This course examines women in South Asian history through the intersections of women's lives with religion, colonialism, and postcolonial culture. Using historical, literary, and anthropological lenses the course will consider how various institutions of authority-patriarchy, religion, and the state-have shaped and continue to reshape gender in South Asia, and how women, in turn, resisted, interpreted, and negotiated their position in society. Women continue to be a sign of South Asia's "backwardness", but serve simultaneously as a symbolic upon which ideas of modernity are debated. Thus, how women are imagined is often at the core of how nationhood is defined and desired in South Asia.
Adopting a chronological (ancient to modern South Asia) and theoretical approach built on examples from literature, film, religious scripture, theological commentaries, and colonial history, this course will explore the following themes: the representation of women in religious texts; the comparative constructions of women and their roles across South Asian cultural traditions; women and the cast system; the goddess traditions and the question of political and social empowerment; gender segregation; devotion and desire; conceptions of male honor and female chastity, with reference to bride-burning and prostitution; rites of passage, e.g. those relating to puberty, marriage, and widowhood; reformism in the colonial period and its impact on women; and women, nationalism, and fundamentalism.
[cid:image014.png at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]The Politics of Madness: Gender, Postcoloniality, and Psychiatry through Film and Theory
Thursdays 1:00-4:00PM
Emily Fox-Kales, Harvard
Emilie Diouf, Brandeis
Learn more and apply<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/new-events/politicsofmadness>
This course will bring together conceptual tools from postcolonial African literature and theory, clinical psychology, and feminist film studies. We will ask how diagnostic categories become gendered, and how women's psychosexual development might be thought of in cross-and-trans-cultural terms. Specifically, by putting into dialogue media representations and scholarly analyses from two culture zones, the US and Africa, we will investigate the clinical issues surrounding trauma, spirit possession, hysteria, and body image disturbances as well as colonialism and its impact on African psychiatric discourse. Key questions we will address include: How does the practice of psychiatry in two different cultures both perpetuate and destabilize patriarchal narratives of the women's psyche? And how might such interrogations in turn enable intersectional approaches to social policy and clinical practice? Our aim is to enable an interdisciplinary conversation about psychopathology in relationship to gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, diaspora, and postcoloniality.

8.   Spring Course Offerings
11.458/11.S196 - 12 credits
Crowd Sourced City: Social Media, Technology and Planning Processes
Meets Mon & Wed 9:30 - 11am
Open to grads and undergrads
Social media networks, crowd sourcing, and cell phone applications all allow us to see and understand cities and our role within them using a new lens. This workshop class will investigate the use of social media and digital technologies for planning and advocacy by working with planning and advocacy organizations to develop, implement, and evaluate prototype digital tools. Students will use the development of their digital tools as a way to investigate how new media technologies can be used for planning.
This edition of Crowd Sourced City focuses on equity in street names in cities. We will be working with organizations to audit specific cities for gender and race equity. This will include developing strategies for automating gender audits, crowdsourcing gender, race & etymology of place names, and using equity audits to advocate for name changes to the city's symbolic infrastructure. Partners include the Boston Public Library, Geochicas (a feminist activist group in Latin America) and a city government who is interested in doing an audit of their city's ties to slavery.
11.S01 - 3 credits
Urban Science for Public Good: Gender and Racial Equity in Artificial Intelligence
Meets Mon 1:30 - 3pm
First-year Discovery class
Gender and racial equity are often central goals of urban planning. But what are gender and race? What happens when we start to measure and model these dimensions of identity? Conversely, what happens when we ignore gender and race in urban computation? This course introduces students to some of the leading scientists, theorists and practitioners who are working to challenge bias in AI and to use data and computation to work towards gender and racial equity in cities. Along the way, we will reflect on our own identities and learn critical concepts to navigate gender and race from fields such as Urban Planning, Women's & Gender Studies, Critical Race Studies, and Computer Science.
For more information, please contact Professor Catherine D'Ignazio (dignazio at mit.edu<mailto:dignazio at mit.edu>).

9.   Healthcare Management Course

ISMT E-133: Healthcare Delivery Systems Management with Technology Innovation

Brief Description:

The first section of the course explores the past, the present, and the future of the healthcare delivery system in the US. We also touch upon some of the successful healthcare delivery systems from around the world. The second section of the course explores the past, the present and the future of the innovative technologies that have taken over in the healthcare delivery process and management of patients in the US and around the world. Students learn about the smart technologies that are disrupting the healthcare system and how to deal with the fast pace of technology innovations.

Link to register for the course:

https://dceweb.harvard.edu/prod/gowlogn3.taf?splash=extension

Please contact me if you have any questions:

drhashmi.mit.edu at gmail.com<mailto:drhashmi.mit.edu at gmail.com>

10.                   Using Self-Promotion Strategies to Raise Your Visibility, Increase Your Influence and Advance Your Career: Webinar
When: January 23rd, 12-1PM
Register: here<https://www.westorg.org/upcoming-events>

Many women are reluctant to actively promote their value because it feels self-serving or inauthentic. Rather than promote themselves, they prefer to believe that their work will speak for itself. Unfortunately, without the confidence and commitment to share your value with others, you may lose out on important opportunities to raise your visibility, make a bigger impact and advance within your organization.

In this webinar led by Kim Meninger, you'll learn:

*        What it means (and does not mean) to engage in strategic self-promotion

*        Why self-promotion is challenging for so many women

*        Key benefits to yourself and others when you actively promote your value

*        Practical, actionable strategies to help you authentically promote your value across your organization
Cost: $10 for members, $20 for non-members
[https://www.westorg.org/assets/site/west%202016.jpg]

11.                    LBGT Grad Social Hour
When: Monday, Feb. 3rd, 6-7PM
              Monday, Mar. 2nd, 6-7PM
              Monday, Apr. 6th, 6-7PM
              Monday, May 4th, 6-7PM
Where: Rainbow Lounge (50-250)

These social hours are pretty much exactly what they sound like- unstructured, casual opportunities to meet other LGBT graduate students at MIT and just hang out for a bit.

We hope you'll take the opportunity to socialize, make friends, and find community!

These events are partiall sponsored by the GSC Funding Board

[LGBT Grad Social Hour]

12.                   LBGT Speed Networking Night

When: Thursday, Feb. 13th, 8-10PM

Where: TBD

Speed dating and networking with fellow LGBT+ grad students at MIT

Dinner will be served

Light music to set the mood.

Sponsored by the GSC Funding Board

13.                   Hack for Inclusion
When: Friday Feb 21st (11:30am) - Sat Feb 22nd (7:30pm)
Where: Microsoft NERD Center, 1 Memorial Drive Cambridge, MA 02142
Sign up: http://bit.ly/h4i2020
Registration is now open for MIT Sloan's HACK FOR INCLUSION! Innovate alongside the brightest minds and organizations like BCG, the NBA, Google and more to solve real challenges related to bias and inclusion in business and society. This event is FREE and includes all meals and materials. Last year we ran out of space, so sign up now! All backgrounds are welcome. For more details visit www.hackforinclusion.com<http://www.hackforinclusion.com/> where challenges, agenda, and sponsors are being updated regularly!

14.                   Giving & Receiving Feedback
When: March 3rd, 6-8:30PM
Where: Ginkgo Bioworks, 27 Drydock Avenue, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02210
Buy tickets: here<https://www.westorg.org/2020-03-03-giving-receiving-feedback>

Almost everyone struggles with giving and receiving feedback. Yet everyone struggles for different reasons:

*        For some people, resistance to receiving feedback is tied to a fear of being judged, making mistakes, or failing.

*        For others, offering feedback is associated with criticism.

*        There are also cultural differences that impact how comfortable you are in giving or receiving feedback.

*        Maybe for you, it's simply that you haven't learned the skills to make the process less stressful.

All of this means that learning how to give meaningful feedback, is not one-size-fits-all.

We'll explore ways you can become more comfortable giving and asking for feedback. You'll learn several simple, yet powerful, techniques to take the sting and awkwardness out of the feedback conversation. You'll discover how to ask for and receive feedback in a way that feels natural to you.

For managers, you'll learn questions you can ask your team, to help YOU become a better manager. For all participants, you'll learn ways to offer feedback to your peers, and even your boss!

Participants will learn 4 basic steps to giving meaningful feedback in a way that feels safe for both the giver and receiver. You'll be able to apply these steps immediately, in your personal life, and in your career.

Cost: $15 for members; $40 for non-members

[https://www.westorg.org/assets/site/west%202016.jpg]

15.                   Advanced Analytics/Data Science Internships to Improve Health Outcomes

[cid:image018.jpg at 01D5CAD8.B4D39710]