[GWAMIT] Special announcement: COVID-19 relief for graduate students

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Thu Apr 30 10:47:23 EDT 2020

Dear GWAMIT members,

Please take some time to read this special announcement regarding a recent
open letter on COVID-19 relief for graduate students. Many of us and our
peers are facing uncertain times and financial hardship--we can use your
help.

Best regards,

GWAMIT Exec Board

*The COVID-19 epidemic has caused hardship and struggle for us all, and
especially our peers in SA+P and SHASS programs who don’t have guaranteed
summer funding, or in some cases guaranteed funding for their final year.
Many people have been left wondering where their salary will come from and
how they’ll afford to live. *

*I’m writing to let you know about this open letter calling for immediate
COVID-19 relief for graduate students
<https://mitgradstudentadvocates.weebly.com/>. This is an effort by MIT for
COVID Relief, a group of PhD students from all five schools on campus,
including GSC representatives and President-Elect Madeleine Sutherland. It
is now seeing broad support all across campus too. However, we still need
to increase our support across campus; this is becoming even more urgent as
many students affected by COVID-19 will be getting their last paycheck on
May 15th. We aim to get 10% of MIT grad students to sign on (just over
halfway there already!) to get the administration's attention. We also
welcome support from any community allies (faculty, staff, undergraduates).
*

*Finally, MIT for Covid Relief is on Twitter, @MITCovidRelief
<https://twitter.com/MITCovidRelief>. You can also email
mitcovidrelief at gmail.com <mitcovidrelief at gmail.com> to get in touch.*