[GWAMIT] GW@MIT Newsletter, April 20th, 2020

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Apr 20 09:35:33 EDT 2020

GWAMIT Newsletter
April 20, 2020

Did you know? Here is some positive news from around the world:

Former WNBA player Tamara Moore becomes the only female head coach in men's college basketball<https://sports.yahoo.com/tamara-moore-wnba-mesabi-range-college-mens-college-basketball-235048776.html>!

Read about this all-female robotics team in Afghanistan who made a cheap ventilator out of Toyota parts<https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/the-all-female-robotics-team-in-afghanistan-who-made-a-cheap-ventilator-out-of-toyota-parts-1.1002439>.

Join the GWAMIT Board!

We are recruiting for new board members for the 2020-2021 academic year! We have openings for Events Co-Chair, Conference Chair, and Co-Chair of GW at MIT. Prior experience with GW at MIT is not necessary to apply. If you're interested in joining the board, please fill out the following application<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16OZ-bQQWzNEscna2E99sAyK0OyaV0CTGUZ5Dq2Lpm40/viewform?edit_requested=true>

Stay at Home Recommendations:

Something to do... try to move your body this week! Try a relaxation yoga class <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpQ34afVgk8cRQBjSJ1xuJQ> or a barre workout<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbLd1LLdL5s&t=1251s>.

Something to read...

Fiction: Homegoing was the debut novel for Yaa Gyasi which weaves an intergenerational story about descendants from one Asante woman making their way in the world.

            Non-Fiction: Reading Lolita in Tehran is a memoir by Azar Nafisi about her time as a professor in Iran holding secret literature meetings for young women.

Looking to borrow books without leaving the house? The Minuteman library network is doing temporary online membership which can be applied for here<https://library.minlib.net/selfreg>!

Something to watch... Check out Mrs. America<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIpTIPKTOkU> on Hulu which tells the story of the movement to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), and the unexpected backlash led by a conservative woman named Phyllis Schlafly.

Something to listen to... Check out Harvard Business Review's Women at Work <https://hbr.org/2018/01/podcast-women-at-work>

HBR's Amy Gallo and Amy Bernstein give practical advice on dealing with gender discrimination in the workplace and interview experts on gender and succeeding in the workplace despite the obstacles.

Gain some new knowledge on your lunch break

Discover the secrets behind what makes one feel joy-<https://www.ted.com/talks/ingrid_fetell_lee_where_joy_hides_and_how_to_find_it> and learn how to create more of it for everyone else!

Get your culture fixture with some Boston Ballet!<https://bostonballet.widencollective.com/portals/zzlopocy/Performanceclipsandmore>

Interested in GWAMIT-hosted virtual events?

Help us by filling out this form<https://forms.gle/86rDL2XWCRbWmfGD8>

Women-related virtual events and opportunities

STEM-Away

Our platform - STEM-Away - helps students gain real world experience via our comprehensive virtual-internship program and showcasing of hard and soft skills via the 1-Click(r) Resume. Virtual internships are designed as Mentor Chains(r) Projects with students of varying experience levels collaborating in remote teams, working on all aspects of a project, experiencing both mentor & mentee roles.

Currently, we are seeking students to participate in our brainstorming sessions. Establish yourself as leaders by hosting webinars, defining projects, leading projects. Receive mentoring from industry experts, grow your professional network. Thank you, Debaleena Das, CEO STEM-Away(r), ddas at stemaway.com

Pronouns and Beyond: Understanding Gender Identity hosted by HarvardWIT+
Monday, April 20, 3:30-5pm
Online. Registrants will be sent the URL REGISTER<https://harvard.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bda30c43952e707f0dfdb4e37&id=67879c2144&e=e6386b8fdb>
SPEAKER: Jessica Halem<https://harvard.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bda30c43952e707f0dfdb4e37&id=7dfb6d4444&e=e6386b8fdb>, LGBTQ Outreach and Engagement Director for the Harvard Medical School

Jessica Halem is the LGBTQ Outreach and Engagement Director at Harvard Medical School and remains unique in her role for medical schools in the United States. Since taking the helm almost six years ago, she has increased the number in the first-year class who self-identify as LGBTQ from 4% to 15% and recently helped to secure a historic $1.5 million dollar grant to overhaul the curriculum to integrate sexual and gender minority health equity throughout. In this session, Jessica will be sharing the latest research for understanding terminology and concepts associated with gender identity and some immediate ways we can all ensure the positive inclusion of gender diversity throughout our schools and workplaces.

MindHandHeart Innovation Fund

Beginning April 1, 2020, MindHandHeart is launching a virtual edition of the Innovation Fund in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Now accepting applications, the Innovation Fund<http://mindhandheart.mit.edu/innovation-fund> offers grants of up to $10,000 to students, faculty, and staff members. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis through April 30, 2020.

[https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/s5MyDRNLEsgn0S2QCBGBWlI2s6ueo2pg-wQ9rrYu64X75Be2UoFPO7Z6EqPpwRvrhZ2p3w4wXD5aVZhxJ4roNOQiUfFTGFJdZKQ7gAAlpvlUdtZt9TGUsQ_2lqyWMio31CJcip2Y]

Cheney virtual relaxation room

4 weeks on Wednesdays and Fridays 12:30-12:50, April 10-May 1, 2020

Take a few minutes to press the reset button in the virtual Cheney Room with live, guided relaxation classes from Zan Barry, Senior Program Manager in Community Wellness at MIT Medical. These brief classes will help you develop a self-care routine with relaxation and meditation to help you unwind.

Join Zoom Meeting: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/183183417?pwd=QjhjVWdNcHR6SXM5dVZlcmtNc0c2Zz09

Meeting ID: 183 183 417, Password: 195237

Want to help? Donate to Rosie's Place<http://www.rosiesplace.org/>.

Rosie's place is a local shelter that's staying open despite these uncertain times, in order to provide COVID-19 resources for the homeless women of Boston.

Check out their twitter<https://twitter.com/RosiesPlace?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor> to see how your efforts are making a difference

Donation link: here<https://secure2.convio.net/rsp/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app20111a?1400.donation=form1&df_id=1400&NONCE_TOKEN=CF65E0DEAA0AAA5E6ADC46CFC19E2C6A>

Please fill out this form<https://forms.gle/AFXgY6fG5YjEWFn9A> after you've donated so we can acknowledge your contribution!

Even while we practice social distancing, it's important that we remain connected to one another through our common humanity - only by helping each other will we all be able to live through this historic time. Some of the people most susceptible to COVID-19 itself and its consequences are those who are food-insecure and homeless and who do not have the means to stock up on supplies or self-isolate. Rosie's Place has been providing meals and safe shelter for homeless women in Boston since 1974, and its doors emphatically remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic even while other resources for homeless women are closing. As graduate students ourselves, the GWAMIT Executive Board is aware that students do not have large stipends, and many of us use what we have for families of our own. We want to emphasize that we support you in taking care of yourself and your immediate loved ones in this moment. Nevertheless, if you are able to use some of the funds you otherwise would have spent for restaurants, bars, shows, travel, and other leisure, consider donating to our common cause.

["They tried to bury us. They didn't know we were seeds." -Mexican Proverb]

Check out National Poetry month<https://poets.org/shelter-poems> for more inspiration!