[GWAMIT] Newsletter, February 5

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Feb 5 20:56:56 EST 2019

 *|MC:SUBJECT|* *|MC_PREVIEW_TEXT|*

GWAMIT Newsletter
View this email in your browser <*|ARCHIVE|*>
GW at MIT Newsletter February 5, 2019
<http://www.gwamit.org/> Website <http://www.gwamit.org/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu> Email <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb> Twitter <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
Message from the GWAMIT Board:
Good luck everybody for the first day of classes and the Spring semester!
Recharge batteries with the following events coming soon!

- The GW at MIT Board
*Event overview:*

*GW at MIT:   *
1. GW at MIT: Apply to the next GW at MIT Executive Board! (Now!)
2. GW at MIT: Galentine's Day! (Feb 13)
3. WGS: Amanda Seales - Smart, Funny and Black! (Feb 22)
4. NE GWiSE Annual Spring to Action! (April 6)

*Note:*
MIT Running Group is cancelled.
We will let you know when it resumes!

*WELLNESS:*

5. MIT Recreation: Group Exercise Demo Week, free! (Week of Feb 11)
6. Community Wellness Classes: Registration Open! (begins Feb 25)

* OTHER:*

7. Adidas is looking for engineers!
8. GSC Graduate Student Survey about Internships
9. The Vagina Monologues (Feb 15)
10. Hack for Inclusion (Feb 22)
11. Every Voice Anti-Sexual Violence Summit (Feb 23)
*Did you know ... ?*

Interested in the sports industry? *Adidas *is looking for engineers and
they asked us to share a job opportunity with you! Find out more about it
below.
*Storied Women of MIT:*

*Maria Zuber*
(1958  - )

(click here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXH4EG4l8mw&index=8&list=PLMDhXpDKIzBKp45uWQBQ6ugi7Krkkls8i>
see video about her)
*GW at MIT event details*
*1. GW at MIT: Apply to the next GW at MIT Executive Board 2019!*

*When: *Now!
*Apply: *here <https://goo.gl/forms/MkU1jsTEQp0nBRXy2>

*Interested in being more involved in GWAMIT? *Have you attended or helped
plan a past GWAMIT activity, and would you like to become a member of the
Executive Board? Would you like to be active in supporting graduate women
and engaging with the Institute?

*Apply now for a GWAMIT Executive Board position!* Some of the positions
will start immediately while others include shadowing this semester and
then joining officially at the end of April. See the application for
details on open positions. No prior experience with GWAMIT required!

Before applying, please take a look at our website (http://www.gwamit.org/),
and email gwamit-exec at mit.edu
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu?subject=Application%20GW%40MIT%20Exec%20Board> if you
have any questions. Once you apply, email us to schedule a brief, 1:1
interview with a current Executive Board member.

*2. GW at MIT: Galentine's Day!*

*When: *February 13th, 2-4pm
*Where:* TBD
*RSVP:  *here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/galentines-day-with-gwmit-tickets-56012477829>

Welcome back, GW at MIT! Join us for a *creative and **colorful** Galentine’s
Day celebration*! We’ll have water marble nail decorating (fancyyy!) and
cookie decorating (yumm) supplies, and coffee and hot chocolate of course!

This is a great opportunity to get to know our current board, and learn
about our open positions. Bring your friends!
*3. WGS: Amanda Seales - Smart, Funny and Black*

*When: *Friday, February 22 at 8pm
*Where:* Little Kresge Theatre W16-035
*Website: *web <https://smartfunnyandblack.com/>
*Tickets:* web <https://mit.universitytickets.com/w/default.aspx>

Comedian, actress, writer, producer, and more, Amanda Seales doesn’t just
make you laugh, she makes change!

With an uncanny knack for taking serious topics (racism, rape culture,
sexism, police brutality, etc.) and with humor, making them relatable and
interesting, she combines intellectual wit, silliness, and a pop culture
obsession to create her unique style of smart funny content for the stage
and screens.

Along with performing stand up across the globe, and touring colleges doing
comedic lectures, this former MTV VJ with a master’s in African American
studies from Columbia University is a series regular as Tiffany on, HBO’s
“Insecure”, guest starred on, “Blackish, has performed stand up on “Late
Night with Seth Meyers”, and opened for Chris Rock, is creator/host of the
hit live music comedy game show experience, “Smart Funny & Black”, speaks
truth to change via her wildly popular Instagram, and weekly podcast,
“Small Doses”, which will have an accompanying book releasing Fall 2019 via
Abrams Books.

A Jedi Khaleesi with a patronus that’s a Black Panther with wings, Amanda
Seales continues to keep audiences laughing, thinking, and living in their
truth!
*4. NE GWiSE Annual Spring to Action!*

*Title: *Roles and Relationships: A Summit on Mentorship in Grad School and
Beyond