[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter, April 30, 2019

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Apr 30 20:05:20 EDT 2019

 *|MC:SUBJECT|* *|MC_PREVIEW_TEXT|*

GW at MIT Newsletter April 30, 2019
<http://www.gwamit.org/> Website <http://www.gwamit.org/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu> Email <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb> Twitter <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
*Event overview:*

*GW at MIT:*

1. Join the NE GWiSE board! (apply now!)

*WOMEN-RELATED EVENTS:*

2. 2019 AAU Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Misconduct (now!)
3. Mary Robinson keynote: Intellectual Commons event series (May 1st)
4. Couples and Money: What's Love Got To Do With It? (May 15th)
5. Inequity on the Journey & in the Field (May 15th)
6. Free AAUW online salary negotiation workshop (anytime)

*The Storied Women of MIT: *

*Paula Hammond*

*Click here <https://youtu.be/uK3bAqvCA6A> to see a video about her*

*GW at MIT event details*
*1.* *Join the NE GWiSE Board! *

*Interest form:* https://bit.ly/negwise-board
*When:* Now!
*Website:* www.negwise.wordpress.com
*Contact:* mbird at mit.edu

Interested in getting involved in a group of graduate women (who span 9
universities!) that advocates for improvements for grad women, networks
across schools, and helps schools form GW at MIT-equivalent groups?

Join New England Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (NE GWiSE)!
Our main events are an annual summer retreat focused on discussing the
progress of the group and professional development and an advocacy event,
"Spring to Action," focused on a specific topic (2018: sexual harassment,
2019: mentorship).

*Fill out our interest form above or contact mbird at mit.edu <mbird at mit.edu>
if you're interested! We're recruiting for the next board now! *

*Women-Related event details*
*2. 2019  AAU Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Misconduct*

*When: *Apr 2 – May 1 every day, all day
*Contact:* aausurvey at mit.edu
*FAQ:* here
<https://chancellor.mit.edu/sites/default/files/FAQ-2019-sexual-misconduct-survey.pdf>
Receive a $10 Amazon gift card!

The 2019 AAU Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Misconduct will be open for
students to take from April 2 to May 1. You should have received their
email on April 2nd! *Please take this survey! Your participation will help
MIT prevent and respond to sexual misconduct. *

For participating, you will receive a $10 Amazon gift card or $10 donation
to a charity of your choice!

*3. Mary Robinson Keynote: Intellectual Commons Event Series*

*When: *May 1st, 10:00-11:00AM
*Where: *Bartos Theatre, E15-070

"Climate Justice Can Help Secure a Good Future for All"

SA+P's* Intellectual Commons* event series continues this spring with a
keynote by Mary Robinson, lawyer, politician, and climate justice advocate
who served as president of Ireland (1990-97) and as United Nations High
Commissioner for Human Rights (1997-2002).

"*The Frameworks negotiated by members states of the UN in 2015-2030 Agenda
and the Paris Climate Agreement - appeared to be voluntary or weak in
enforceability. Now, however, through the lens of climate justice, we can
see that they are imperative frameworks for human survival. The challenge
is to galvanise political will globally, and commit to transformative
change which will leave no one behind."*

-Mary Robinson

Learn more about the series and watch videos of past events
<https://sap.mit.edu/news/intellectual-commons-event-series>.
*4. Couples and Money: What's love got to do with it?*

*When: *May 15th, 12:00-1:30PM
*Where:* Building 26, 3189
*Register: *here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/couples-and-money-whats-love-got-to-do-with-it-registration-54358978167>

Presenter: *Ina Bachman*, L.I.C.S.W., T.I.W.C., C.E.A.P.; Founder and
Coach, Bachman Coaching
This seminar will examine the powerful impact money has on relationships.
During this discussion, you will:

Analyze how couples think and communicate about money
Understand why couples fight about money
Explore simple tactics for avoiding money roadblocks that may affect your
relationship
Receive advice around building a resilient partnership that can withstand
financial concerns and challenges

*Register*
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/couples-and-money-whats-love-got-to-do-with-it-registration-54358978167>

*5. InEquity on the Journey & in the Field*

*When: *May 15th, 3:00-4:15 PM
*Where:* Building 2, 143
*Register: *sign up on CareerBridge <http://Careerbridge.mit.edu>
How do race, gender, class, ability, sexuality and other dimensions of
identity show up in your experiences as a Prehealth student at MIT? How
will these dimensions interact with your medical school experience and
later on in your role as a health professional?

Join Prehealth Advising and the *MIT Health Equity Club* as we discuss
these questions and more.
*6. Free AAUW online salary negotiation workshop*

*Register: *sign up here
<https://salary.aauw.org/salary-negotiation/?utm_source=AAUW%20internal%20social%20media%20toolkit&utm_medium=social%20media&utm_campaign=%235GradsYouKnow&utm_content=Work%20Smart%20Online>

Chances are, you deserve a raise. This free online course will give you the
tools you need to successfully negotiate and close the pay gap for women
everywhere. Register today!

You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
this list.

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu