[GWAMIT] Newsletter, April 16

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Apr 16 19:54:51 EDT 2019

 *|MC:SUBJECT|* *|MC_PREVIEW_TEXT|*

GWAMIT Newsletter
View this email in your browser <*|ARCHIVE|*>
GW at MIT Newsletter April 16, 2019
<http://www.gwamit.org/> Website <http://www.gwamit.org/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu> Email <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb> Twitter <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
Message from the GWAMIT Board:
*The GWAMIT 2019 **Leadership** conference is here!*

Robin Chase will be the keynote speaker and we have a ton of very
interesting events lined up! Check them out and make sure to RSVP below!

We hope to see you all there :)

- The GW at MIT Board
*Event overview:*

*GW at MIT: *
1. GW at MIT Leadership Conference (April 23-26)
2. GW at MIT: The Stories we Tell and Can I Hold The Mic: Sharing Stories of
Sexual Assault & Harassment (April 30)
3. Join the NE GWiSE board! (apply now!)

*WOMEN-RELATED EVENTS:*

4. SAAM: Sexual Assault Awareness Month (April, whole month)
5. School of Science: Truth Values Play and Mentoring Workshop (April
16-17)
6. 2019 AAU Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Misconduct (now!)
7. Volunteer to inspire MA high school students! (now!)
*Did you know ... ? *

*April is the Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) *and the Violence
Prevention and Response (VPR) sponsors multiple related interesting events
this month. Do not forget to check them out below and visit their website
<http://elephant.mit.edu/>!
*GW at MIT Leadership Conference Keynote Speaker:*

*Robin Chase*
(founder of ZipCar!)

(click here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fItyshX4BqU> to see a short
interview and here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsqlpgMKjyU> for her
TED talk)
*GW at MIT event details*
*1. GW at MIT Leadership Conference*

*Date: *April 23-26
*Website: *web <http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/2019leadership/>
RSVPs and FB sites for the different events below, check them out!

*GW at MIT Leadership Conference 2019 is here!*

We have a great line-up of events coming up *next week* (and great food and
fancy swag throughout the week!!), hope to see you there!* Open to all
students.*

Check out our list of events below and go to the website
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/2019leadership/> for more details.
*Many of the events have limited spots, so register soon!*

•    *April 25 (11.30 am-1.30 pm) - Fireside chat with Robin Chase *(FB
event here <https://www.facebook.com/events/865540807131804/>) *-* come
listen to her visionary talk on *‘Building the world we want to live in’*
which will be followed by a fireside chat about her experience in founding
multiple companies, with open Q&A! Join some great discussion over
delicious lunch, and leave inspired! Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fireside-chat-with-robin-chase-building-the-world-we-want-to-live-in-tickets-60368738522>.
Watch
her TED talk here
<https://www.ted.com/talks/robin_chase_excuse_me_may_i_rent_your_car?language=en>
.

•    *April 23 (2-3.30 pm) - Improv your leadership *(FB event here
<https://www.facebook.com/events/587905781717653/>)  *- *engage in improv
comedy activities that relate to leadership, while enhancing your awareness
of your own personal leadership style! Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/improv-your-leadership-the-5-practices-of-being-exemplary-tickets-60368116662>
.

•   *April 24 (3-5 pm) - Headshots with MIT Technique *(FB event here
<https://www.facebook.com/events/267982537481907/>) - come get professional
headshots taken by MIT Technique with the gorgeous MIT aesthetic at the
Killian Court! Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/professional-headshots-with-mit-technique-tickets-60440889327>
.

•   * April 24 (5-7 pm) - Start smart salary negotiation with AAUW *(FB
event here <https://www.facebook.com/events/333928107482571/>) *-* this
workshop is specifically designed to teach you how to negotiate your salary
for your first job! Register here
<https://idp.mit.edu/idp/Authn/MIT?conversation=e2s1>.

•   * April 25 (1.45-3.45 pm) - Professional branding: effective
communication skills *(FB event here
<https://www.facebook.com/events/702361036847336/>) *- *Learn how to
maximize the use of your verbal and nonverbal communication skills to help
achieve professional success! Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/professional-branding-effective-communication-skills-tickets-60368772624>
.

•   *April 25 (4-5.30 pm) - Leading while working abroad *(FB event here
<https://www.facebook.com/events/651048358686679/>) *-* Come listen to the
experiences of MIT alumnae working and leading in diverse international
settings, and go back with some valuable career advice! Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/being-a-strong-leader-when-working-abroad-tickets-60369013344>
.

•   *April 26 (9.30-11.30 am) - Leading with vision and grit *(FB event here
<https://www.facebook.com/events/2542165069187758/>)  *- *Practice
important skills on how to develop and communicate a shared vision, also
gain a measure of your personal “grit”! Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/leading-with-vision-and-grit-workshop-tickets-60221805040>
.

•   *April 26 (12-1 pm) - How to share your research story- a panel with
TEDx speakers **(*FB event here
<https://www.facebook.com/events/336139597260621/>*) *- Join us for a
discussion with the panelists to learn about the process behind developing
their talks, the experience of sharing their story on the TED platform, and
the after-effects of a successful talk! Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-to-share-your-research-story-panel-with-tedx-speakers-tickets-60368792684>
.

•  *April 26 (1.30-3 pm) - How to share your research story in a TED talk,
and interactive workshop *(FB event here
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1630678110368537/>) - Discuss some of the
most effective ways of not just communicating science in a TED-style
platform, and also how to weave your personal story and take the audience
on a journey. Give your own 2-3 minute TED-style lightning talk at the end!
Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-to-share-your-research-story-as-a-ted-talk-interactive-workshop-tickets-60369004317>
.
*2. GW at MIT: The Stories we Tell and Can I Hold The Mic: Sharing Stories of
Sexual Assault & Harassment *

*When: *Tuesday, April 30th 5:30-8pm (Exhibit and food starts at 5:30pm,
stories start at 6:30pm)
*Location: *La Sala de Puerto Rico, W20-202
*Contact: *caniholdthemic at mit.edu

Join us for the final event of Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2019! Hosted
by VPR and in collaboration with GWAMIT and PLEASURE, The Stories We Tell
and Can I Hold the Mic is a tandem exhibit-event that focuses on the impact
of sexual violence. Come in for the first hour to explore and engage with
the photos, activities, and other media of The Stories We Tell and then
stay for Can I Hold the Mic to hear members of our community share stories
about how sexual assault and harassment have impacted their lives. Food
will be served.

We encourage you to check out the event website for more information about
Can I Hold the Mic? and how you can participate:
http://tinyurl.com/CanIHoldtheMic

If you are interested in sharing your story or having someone share it on
your behalf, fill out this form:
http://tinyurl.com/CanIHoldtheMicSubmissionForm
*

Click this link to RSVP (not required, but it will help us get enough
food!):  http://tinyurl.com/CanIHoldtheMicRSVP *

*You can exit either form at any time.
*3. Join the NE GWiSE Board! *

*Interest form:* https://bit.ly/negwise-board
*When:* Now!
*Website:* www.negwise.wordpress.com
*Contact:* mbird at mit.edu

Interested in getting involved in a group of graduate women (who span 9
universities!) that advocates for improvements for grad women, networks
across schools, and helps schools form GW at MIT-equivalent groups?

Join New England Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (NE GWiSE)!
Our main events are an annual summer retreat focused on discussing the
progress of the group and professional development and an advocacy event,
"Spring to Action," focused on a specific topic (2018: sexual harassment,
2019: mentorship).

*Fill out our interest form above or contact mbird at mit.edu <mbird at mit.edu>
if you're interested! We're recruiting for the next board now! *

*Women-Related event details*
*4. **SAAM: Sexual Assault Awareness Month *

Website: http://elephant.mit.edu/
Fb: @elephantatMIT <https://www.facebook.com/elephantatmit/>

•    *Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) is here* with events throughout
the month of April! There will be workshops, study breaks, displays, a
self-defense class, storytelling events, a film screening, and more.

•    Also, the AAU Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Misconduct opens 4/2 so
please fill it out so MIT can understand and improve our campus climate!

•    Check out the website (http://elephant.mit.edu/) for the full calendar
of events!

Sponsored by Violence Prevention & Response (VPR).

*5. School of Science: Truth Values Play and Workshop*

*When & where: *
                           Play - April 16th. Little Kresge Theatre at 7:00
pm
                           Workshop - April 17th. W20-306 from 11:15 am
– 1:30 pm
*Apply:* https://www.truthvaluescommunity.com/apply

*STUDENT TICKETS ARE STILL AVAILABLE *for the Truth Values Community, a
unique new Arts + STEM program. The program welcomes graduate students in
STEM to apply, especially those from historically under-represented groups*
in STEM fields.
https://www.truthvaluescommunity.com/apply

*FREE *to student participants:
• Reserved seating for the national hit play, “Truth Values” (Students
may *JUMP
THE WAITLIST*)
• Lunch workshop with prominent leaders and mentors in STEM (see list below)
• Raffle prizes (including *fabulous shoes*, cookies, and MIT Press gift
certificate)

To be eligible, students need to complete entrance and exit survey (online
entrance survey takes 5 to 10 minutes)
https://www.truthvaluescommunity.com/apply and to attend both the play
and the lunch.

*e.g. women, race/ethnic minorities, first-generation college students,
low-income communities

*Truth Values Community Staff and Special Guests*

*Staff*

PI, Celebrated diversity expert *Dr.** Silvia Mazzula*
Co-PI, *Gioia De Cari*, creator of Truth Values, MIT alum

*Featured Speakers:*

• *Ms.** Rhonda Davis*, Head, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Office of
the Director, National Science Foundation

• *Dr.** Evelynn Hammonds*, Chair, Department of the History of Science,
Harvard University;

•* Barbara Gutmann Rosenkrantz* Professor of the History of Science;
Professor of African and African American Studies

• *Dr.** Michael Sipser*, Dean of the School of Science; Donner Professor
of Mathematics, MacVicar Faculty Fellow, MIT

*Guest Mentors:*

• *Dr.** Tania Baker*, Edwin C. Whitehead Professor of Biology, MIT;
Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

• *Dr.** Cait Crawford*, Distinguished Engineer at IBM

• *Dr.** Katy Croff Bell*, Director, Director of the Open Ocean initiative,
MIT Media Lab;  Technology Fellow, National Geographic Society

• *Dr.** Debra Borkovitz,* Clinical Professor of Mathematics, Boston
University

• *Dr.** Martha Gray*, Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer
Science MIT; Professor of Health Sciences and Technology, MIT

• *Dr.** Ju-Lee Kim*, Professor of Mathematics, MIT

• *Dr.** Leslie Kolodziejski*, J. W. Kieckhefer Professor of Health
Sciences and Technology; Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer
Science, MIT

• *Dr. Laura Schulz*, Professor of Cognitive Science, MIT

*6. Volunteer to inspire MA high school students! *

Sign-up: here <https://mass-stemhub.org/volunteer-2/>

At Mass STEM Hub, we’re partnering with Project Lead The Way, Worcester
Polytechnic Institute, and K-12 schools across the state of Massachusetts
to offer high-quality STEM pathways for students, with the goal of sparking
lifelong interest in STEM and building the necessary skills to thrive in
the 21st century.

A key piece to this work are our showcases where students presenting their
work get to connect with STEM professionals for real and relevant feedback
on their projects – and we need you!

We have over 300 high school students signed up for our showcase on* May 2*
(9-11 am) at WPI in Worcester and need more volunteers – engineers of all
flavors, computer scientists, and health professionals - to ensure they all
have a valuable and inspiring experience.

*Volunteer now!*

*7. **2019  AAU Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Misconduct*

*When: *Apr 2 – May 1 every day, all day
*Contact:* aausurvey at mit.edu
*URL:* web
<http://chancellor.mit.edu/aausurveyhttp://chancellor.mit.edu/aausurvey>
*FAQ:* here
<https://chancellor.mit.edu/sites/default/files/FAQ-2019-sexual-misconduct-survey.pdf>
Receive a $10 Amazon gift card!

The 2019 AAU Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Misconduct will be open for
students to take from April 2 to May 1. You should have received their
email earlier today! *Please take this survey! Your participation will help
MIT prevent and respond to sexual misconduct. *

For participating, you will receive a $10 Amazon gift card or $10 donation
to a charity of your choice!

You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
this list.

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu