[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - June 4, 2018

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jun 4 20:52:37 EDT 2018

 Graduate Women at MIT Weekly Newsletter

GWAMIT Newsletter
View this email in your browser
<https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=d63a10ed24>
GW at MIT Newsletter June 4, 2018
<http://www.gwamit.org/> Website <http://www.gwamit.org/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu> Email <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb> Twitter <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
Message from the GWAMIT Board:

Dear GW at MIT Members,

Commencement week is here! *Congratulations *to all who are graduating! We
hope you celebrate all these years of hard work as deserved and wish you
all the best for your future endeavours.

- The GW at MIT Board
*Did you know ... ?*

   - The *Margaret Cheney room* (3-310) was founded in 1884 at MIT in
   recognition of the fact that women have traditionally been denied a safe
   space of their own, especially in the STEM fields. Get access and find out
   more here
   <http://studentlife.mit.edu/impact-opportunities/diversity-inclusion/womenmit/margaret-cheney-room>
   .

   - The *GWAMIT Board wants to hear from you! *Is there something that you
   would like to see in our bi-weekly newsletter? Do you have ideas for
   women-related events? Contact us!
   <gwamit-sec at mit.edu?subject=%5BJune%204th%20newsletter%5D%20Newsletter%20%26%20event%20suggestions.>

*Women in history:*

*Valentina Tereshkova*
(1937 - present)

Valentina is a retired russian cosmonaut, engineer and policitian and *the
first woman to have flown in space* (1963). She left school at the age of
16 and continued her education by correspondence courses. Before her
recruitment as a cosmonaut, she was a textile-factory assembly worker and
an amateur skydiver, which led to her selection as a cosmonaut.

*' If women can be railroad workers in Russia, why can't they fly to space?
'*
*Event overview:*

*GW at MIT:*

        1. GW at MIT Running: Saturday Run & Coffee (June 9)
        2. GW at MIT salsa lesson: lead and follow! (June 19)
        3. Let's Talk: Gender bias in the hiring and recruiting process
(June 12)

*MIT:        *4.  The Beautiful Brain: Spotlight Tour (June 5)
       5. MIT D-Lab Tour (June 6)
       6. Choosing Quality Child Care (June 13)
       7.  StandUP Boston: Empowering Active Bystanders to Fight Sexual
Misconduct

*OUTSIDE MIT:     *  8.  AAUW Work Smart Workshops (many dates)

*GW at MIT event details*

*1. GW at MIT Running: Saturday Run & Coffee!*

*When: *Every Saturday Morning, 9:30 - 10:15 AM
*Where:* Meet at Student Center (Alchemist Statue), MassAve
*Website:* link <https://www.facebook.com/events/377294756094945/>

Join GWAMIT for a lovely Saturday morning run along the Charles! We will
run approximately 3 miles and will make sure to run in groups or pairs to
accommodate all levels. Meet outside of Flour on Mass Ave for a quick
stretch, please don’t be more than 5 minutes late! Coffee courtesy of
GWAMIT after we finish.
*2. Learn to Lead and Follow: Salsa Dancing!*

*When: *June 19, 7-9 PM
*Where:* W20-491
*RSVP:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/learn-to-lead-and-follow-salsa-dancing-tickets-45537096682?utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_event_email&utm_term=viewmyevent_button>

Join GWAMIT for a salsa dancing lesson at the Stratton Student Center,
Tuesday, June 19th at 7 pm. Monika Avello and Yasmin Chau will teach us how
to lead and follow to the rhythm of salsa! Come with or without a partner.
Everyone is welcome!
*3. Let's Talk: Gender bias in the hiring and recruiting process*

*When: *June 12, 6.30 - 8 PM
*Where:* Ashdown, Hulsizer room.
*RSVP:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lets-talk-bias-in-the-hiring-process-tickets-46693800414>

Join Prof. Katharina Ribbeck and GW at MIT for a dinner and discussion
regarding gender bias in the hiring and recruiting process! Participants
will be given 3-4 articles to read beforehand. The discussion will cover
themes from bias in industry and academia hiring, how to spot such
unconscious biases, and what can be done to overcome these. We also have a
‘What-If’ session where we will discuss how to deal with situations when
one may feel biased against. All members of the MIT community are welcome
to join!

Spots are limited, so hurry and register!
*MIT event details*

*4. The Beautiful Brain: Spotlight Tour*

*When: *June 5, 2 PM.
*Where: *MIT Museum
*Website:*  link <https://mitmuseum.mit.edu/exhibition/beautiful-brain>

The MIT Museum has currently some of Santiago Ramón y Cajal's (Nobel Prize
in 1906) original drawings on display, in the exhibition *The Beautiful
Brain*. This founder of modern neuroscience was also an exceptional artist.
His drawings of the brain were not only beautiful, but also astounding in
their capacity to illustrate and understand the details of brain structure
and function. Join the Museum on June 5th at 2PM for an exploration led by
local and Spanish scientists, artists and entrepreneurs who will share
their unique perspectives on particular aspects of the exhibition. Free
entrance for MIT students and affiliates + 1 guest.
*5. MIT D-Lab Tour*

*When: *June 6, 10-11 AM.
*Where: *MIT D-Lab. Building N51-3rd floor.
*Website:* link <http://calendar.mit.edu/event/mit_d-lab_tour#.WxSZdkiUs2w>

Visit MIT D-Lab and learn about how we work with people around the
world to develop and advance collaborative approaches and practical
solutions to global poverty challenges.
*6. Choosing Quality Child Care*

*When: *June 13, 12-1.30 PM.
*Where: *Building NE49, 5th Floor (Alps Conference Room)
*Website:*  link
<http://calendar.mit.edu/event/choosing_quality_child_care_7498#.WxSZ70iUs2w>

Presented by Kathy Kasabula, this *introductory discussion* is specially
designed for expectant parents and those new to parenting or child care.
The session addresses your different infant and toddler child care options,
what child care costs, how to find and evaluate your child care choices,
planning your parental leave, and the transition to parenting.
*7. StandUP Boston : Empowering Active Bystanders to Fight Sexual
Misconduct *

*When: *June 15-16.
*Website:* link <https://standupboston.org/>
*Registration:* link <https://standupboston.org/for-attendees>

We are excited to invite you to StandUp Boston, a *free conference *dedicated
to working with our local community in combating sexual harassment through
bystander intervention. It is hosted by the MIT Alumni Association, MIT
Critical Data, the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
and Harvard University’s Office of Sexual Assault Prevention and Response.

On June 15th and 16th, we will be hosting a series of technical and
non-technical workshops centered on the theme *Inspiring Bystanders to Act*. We
challenge participants to produce technical and non-technical work that
enables greater conversations around bystander intervention and sexual
harassment, and lay the foundation for future work.

We will also be featuring speakers including Pierre Berastain (Director of
the Office of Sexual Assault Prevention and Response at Harvard University)
as well as bystander intervention training by the Boston Area Rape Crisis
Center. Through generous support from our partners and sponsors, the
conference will be free for all participants and we are offering stipends
for eligible interested participants.

To *register *or find out more, see links above.
*Outside MIT event details*

*8. AAUW Work Smart Workshops*

*When: *June 2018.
Check locations and dates here <https://salary.aauw.org/boston/>.

AAUW Work Smart is designed to help you negotiate for a new job as well as
for earned raises or promotions. In every two-hour workshop, you’ll gain
confidence in your negotiation style

You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
this list.

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu