[GWAMIT] Newsletter, December 4

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Dec 4 22:39:57 EST 2018

 Graduate Women at MIT Weekly Newsletter

GWAMIT Newsletter
View this email in your browser
<https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=b5f371580b>
GW at MIT Newsletter December 4, 2018
<http://www.gwamit.org/> Website <http://www.gwamit.org/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu> Email <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb> Twitter <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
Message from the GWAMIT Board:

Best of luck for the final weeks of the term!
Make sure to attend some of the study breaks around campus (see below).
You've got this!

- The GW at MIT Board
*Event overview:*

*GW at MIT: *
1. GW at MIT Title IX: take action, show support for survivors! (Dec 6)
2. GW at MIT 1st Friday: De-stress with Cookies and Coloring in the Cheney
Room (Dec 7)
3. GW at MIT Running Group! (Dec 8)
4. GW at MIT & AMITA: 2018 ESR Bday and Holiday Party (Dec 8)

*GENDER-RELATED:*

5. Dolores film (Dec 6)
6. LBGWT Spirituality & Faith Series (Dec 6)

*WELL-BEING AND STUDY BREAKS:*

7. Choosing Quality Childcare (Dec 5)
8. Student Loan Repayment Strategies (Dec 5)
9. Koru Mindfulness (Dec 5 and 12)
10. Card Making and Cookie Swap (Dec 12)
11. Cookies with Canines! (Dec 13)
12. Women's League Holiday Craft Fair (Dec 14)
13. Final Week Study Breaks (Dec 14, 18 and 19)

*IAP:*

14. Developing Leadership in Yourself and Others Graduate Workshop
*Did you know ... ?*

Yesterday (Dec 3rd) would have been Ellen Swallow Richards
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJGMjsUClE>' 176th birthday!
(first female graduate and instructor at MIT!)
*Women of MIT:*

*Emily Lindemer*

Emily Lindemer received her PhD from the MIT-Harvard Medical School joint
division of Health Sciences and Technology where her research focused on
computational methods for the analysis of neuroimaging data in aging and
Alzheimer's populations at the MGH Martinos Center. She currently works
full-time as an AI imaging scientist for IBM Watson Health.

In 2016 she co-founded a company called Hey,Charlie that focuses on the
social and environmental components of recovery from substance use
disorder. Hey,Charlie implements mobile technology and artificial
intelligence for behavioral modification and provides novel data insights to
an individual's recovery support system. In 2017 Lindemer was named one of
Boston's 40 Under 40 for Healthcare Innovation and one of MIT's Graduate
Women of Excellence. In addition to her dedication to innovation in
healthcare, Lindemer is passionate about promoting women and girls in STEM
and is the former executive co-chair of Graduate Women at MIT as well as a
former instructor for the national Girls Who Code organization.
*GW at MIT event details*

*1. GW at MIT Title IX: take action, show support for survivors!*

*When:* Sit in December 6th at 1pm; Letter and comments- ASAP
*Where: *Boston City Hall Plaza
*FB event: *event <https://bit.ly/2PSSTwg>
*Website:* web <https://sites.google.com/view/titleixdefense/the-letter>

GWAMIT is participating in some actions protesting some of the new TIX
rules and regulations proposed by Betsy DeVos. Several sources, including
the ACLU thinks that these rules will "inappropriately tip the scales in
favor of the accused and against those who report..." These changes would
make our schools less safe for survivors and make it much harder to hold
perpetrators of sexual and domestic violence accountable. The proposed
rules would affect us all.

Take action to stop these rules from taking effect!:

1.    Add your name in support of survivors' rights to this open letter
<https://sites.google.com/view/titleixdefense/the-letter> to the Department
of Education.

2.    *Join GWAMIT, Our Harvard Can Do Better, and other students in the
Boston area for a sit-in at City Hall Plaza on Thursday, December 6th at *
*1pm**.* We'll be reading out the letter using a "human microphone
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microphone>"  and then delivering the
letter with all of the signatures so far to the Office of Civil
Rights/Department of Education regional center in Boston.

   - Here is the FB event <https://www.facebook.com/events/313959289190425/>.
   If you'd like to join, either reach out to me
   <mbird at mit.edu?subject=Title%20IX> directly or follow the FB event so
   you can find out where we'll be meeting up to head over together.

3.    Participate in the *comment period*. We have less than 60 days to
tell them how they should change the rules! Here's the site
<https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=ED-2018-OCR-0064-0001>.

GWAMIT will be sending out a statement, a more detailed summary of the
changes, and some suggested parts to comment on soon but we wanted to get
this information to you ASAP so you can sign the letter and attend the
sit-in if you're interested.

*Brief** summary of most concerning changes:*

•    More limited definition of sexual harassment/misconduct: instead of
being severe OR pervasive (repeated offenses), it would now need to be
severe AND pervasive so things like sexist jokes would not be required to
be acted upon.

•    Schools would not be required to investigate assaults that take place
in many off-campus settings, even when students are involved. Examples:
non-school related bar events, online harassment, etc.

•    Schools would be required to hold a live hearing with cross-examination
of survivors and witnesses by an attorney. These processes are extremely
likely to re-traumatize survivors.

•    Schools could use a much more limited definition of mandatory
reporters so that if a student told an RA, TA, coach, (an authority figure
associated with the school) etc. about an incidence, this would no longer
count as notifying the school. The student would have to report directly to
TIX in order for the school to be held accountable.

•    Schools would no longer be held accountable to a specific time frame.

For now, here
<https://www.chronicle.com/article/What-You-Need-to-Know-About/245118> and
here
<https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-statement-secretary-devoss-proposed-rule-title-ix>
are some articles on the topic.
The full report is available here
<https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-nprm.pdf>.
*2. GW at MIT First Friday: De-stress with Cookies and Coloring in the Cheney
Room*

*When: *Dec 7, 2.30-4 pm
*Where:*  Cheney Room 3-310
*RSVP:* here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/de-stress-with-cookies-and-coloring-in-the-cheney-room-tickets-53324076749>

Celebrate the last First Friday of 2018 with GW at MIT!

Join us for some Insomnia cookies, milk (and coffee!) and coloring.
Coloring is believed to reduce stress and boost creativity, and pairing
that up with Insomnia cookies and some good conversation is bound to make
you Friday afternoon even better!

Learn more about the Title IX changes and sign the letter as well!
*3. GW at MIT Running Group*

*When: *every Saturday morning, 9:30 AM  (last day: Dec 15th. Starting
again during IAP)
*Where:* Meet at Student Center (Alchemist Statue), MassAve

We will meet at 9:30 am by the statue outside of the student center (the
Alchemist), and leave soon after for a lovely 3 mile run along the edge of
the Charles River. We will end our run at Flour Bakery + Cafe on Mass Ave,
and have a coffee or a drink, courtesy of GWAMIT.  All levels welcome. Hope
to see you there!

*Note:* We are having group runs for only 2 more weeks (Saturdays the 8th,
15th) and then we will break until IAP.
* 4. GW at MIT & AMITA: 2018 ESR Bday and Holiday Party*

*When: *Saturday, December 8th 2pm-4pm
*Where: *6th Floor Building 9 (Samuel Tak Lee Building). 105 Mass. Ave.
Cambridge
*RSVP:* here
<http://amita.alumgroup.mit.edu/s/1314/2015/club-class-main.aspx?sid=1314&gid=20&pgid=45989&content_id=48247>

You’re invited to join GWAMIT and AMITA  in celebrating the legacy of Ellen
Swallow Richards, the first woman admitted to MIT.

Not only was she MIT’s first woman graduate, but she was also MIT’s first
woman instructor. She was a pioneer in public health and environmental
science, whose research helped set the first water-quality standards in the
United States. Every year, AMITA comes together with current students to
honor Ellen Swallow Richards birthday (December 3rd, 1842) and celebrate
the holiday season.  This year, AMITA and GWAMIT are happy to be co-hosting
the event.

This year, Susan Murcott  '90, SM '92 will be sharing a little bit about
our remarkable, first alumna, Ellen Henrietta (Swallow) Richards, born Dec
3, 1842. Susan is an environmental engineer with a focus on clean water,
who teaches a D-Lab course on Water, Climate Change and Health.

So, as the holiday season approaches, take a break from studying and stop
by the Sky Lounge on the 6th Floor of Building 9 to celebrate the 176th
birthday of the first woman to graduate from MIT, Ellen Swallow Richards,
and enjoy holiday treats.
*Gender-related event details*

*5. Dolores Film*

*When: *Thursday, December 6. 5-8.30pm (Pizza at 5pm, film at 5.30pm)
*Where:* 4-370

Film "Dolores <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6013154/>" followed by a Q&A
with *Roxana Rivera *from SEIU.

Sponsored by WGS + SA+P
*6. LBGWT Spirituality & Faith Series: In Conversation with Yiscah Smith*

*When: *Thursday, December 6. 5.30-7 pm
*Where:*  50-250 (Rainbow Lounge)

Join us for dinner and conversation as we continue our series exploring
multiple aspects of identity in a variety of religious and spiritual
traditions. Hear from faith leaders about their journey through the
intersections of sexual orientation, gender identity, and their religious,
spiritual, or ethical tradition. All are welcome.

In this session, Yiscah will recount her personal life story, based on her
memoir, Forty Years in the Wilderness: My Journey to Authentic Living.
Yiscah’s 40-year memoir details her joys and struggles with her own
spirituality, gender identity, and commitment to living true to herself.
The story she tells is one of a man, facing his truth, embracing the woman
she was always meant to be, and returning to her faith with wholeness and
authenticity.  Yiscah will discuss as well sources of inspiration in the
Jewish tradition for authentic living.
*Well-being and Study Breaks *

*7. Choosing Quality Childcare (Dec 5)*

*When: *Wednesday, December 5
*Where:* NE49, 5000

Presenter – Kathy Kasabula, B.A.; Child Care Operations Administrator, MIT
Work-Life Center

This monthly introductory discussion is specially designed for expectant
parents and those new to parenting or child care. The Choosing Quality
Child Care session addresses your different infant and toddler child care
options, what child care costs, how to find and evaluate your child care
choices, planning your parental leave, and the transition to parenting.

*Infants are welcome if alternative child care is unavailable.*
*8. Student Loan Repayment Strategies *

*When: *Wednesday, December 5. 12 - 1.30 pm
*Where:* Building 46, 3189

Presenter: Jeanne Mahan, M.A.; Senior Manager, College Finance, College
Coach

Student loan debt has an overwhelming impact on the lives of graduates and
parents alike. This workshop will examine ways in which graduates and
parents can manage education debt and guide borrowers’ successful
transition from college to repayment. Attendees will learn:

   - How to identify repayment responsibilities for each loan
   - Methods for reducing monthly payments
   - Strategies for identifying cash flow that can be used to prepay
   education debt
   - Ways to avoid becoming delinquent and defaulting on education debt,
   even during times of personal economic hardship
   - The best resources for managing and maintaining a repayment strategy

*9. Koru Mindfulness *

*When: *Wednesday, Dec 5 and 12, 6-7.15 pm
*Where:* E23-285A, 385A

Open your mind and *manage your stress!*

Koru
<https://medical.mit.edu/stay-healthy-mit-stress-reduction/koru-mindfulness>
is a four-week introduction to the practice of Mindfulness. Koru has been
proven to help participants decrease stress and self-judgment while
increasing mindfulness and quality of sleep. Mindfulness is about
developing the ability to be fully attentive to all the moments of your
life, reducing the amount of time you spend worrying about the future or
fretting about the past. You will learn multiple skills including,
meditation, breathing exercises, guided imagery, the body scan and more.
Each of these skills is designed to help you manage stress and enrich your
life. Attendance at all four classes is required. There will be 10 minutes
of mindfulness practice per day required.

Led by Ashley Norwood.

Open to students of the MIT community.
*10. Card Making and Cookie Swap *

*When: *Wednesday, December 12. 3-5 pm
*Where:* Eastgate Penthouse, E55-29th floor

Just bring your imagination and cookies for the exchange! *We'll make some
DIY holiday cards that will be distributed to kids are hospitalized during
the holiday*s - we will supply all of the materials.

The idea for the cookie exchange is simple: bake 2 dozen of your favorite
holiday cookie (24 cookies) and bring them to the meeting. Also bring an
empty box big enough to contain 24 cookies. We will organize the exchange
so you will be bringing home 2 dozen different cookies.

Children and babies are welcome. We now have two babysitters so free
optional childcare will be provided!

Every week we invite speakers from MIT, the community, or our group to
share their expertise; we visit interesting places in Boston; or we
socialize around art and fitness.

When: Wednesdays from 3:00-5:00 pm, from February to May and from September
to December (unless otherwise noted on the calendar) The room opens at 3
p.m. for socializing and childcare drop-off. The activity begins at 3:30
p.m. usually lasts about one hour. Where: the Eastgate Penthouse (E55 29th
floor).

*11. Cookies with Canines! *

*When: *Thursday, December 13, 2-3.30pm
*Where:* Hayden Library (14S-100)

Cookies with Canines, the popular therapy dogs program for exam week,
continues. Take a break from your studies to come to Hayden Library and
spend some time relaxing with a whole bunch of furry friends from Dog
BONES: Therapy Dogs <http://www.therapydog.info/> of Massachusetts.

Join us outside Hayden Library (Building 14). All are welcome; no
registration required.

*12. Women's League Holiday Craft Fair*

*When: *Thursday, December 12. 9am-5pm
*Where:* Lobby 10

Drop by Lobby 10 to find that perfect holiday gift!

Over two days, artisans and creatives will sell jewelry, art, woodwork,
clothing and more.
*13. Final Week Study Breaks *

*When and where: *
Friday, December 14, 2-4pm, Dewey Library (E53-100)
Tuesday, December 18, 5-7pm, Rotch Library (7-238)
Wednesday, December 19, 1-3pm, Barker Library (10-500)

Seasonal stress got you down? Take a break at your favorite MIT Libraries
locations. We’ll be there with a word of encouragement and some tasty
snacks.

*IAP*

*14. Developing Leadership in Yourself and Others Graduate Workshop*

Instructor: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu)

Join us for this workshop series designed to help MIT graduate students
interested learn and practice skills needed to "make a positive difference"
in their chosen careers. Grounded in research but experimental and engaging
in delivery, these workshops build and develop leadership skills for future
engineers and technology professionals.

* Schedule:*

• *Leading New Teams*
Learn to mobilize and launch "real teams."
January 14 (Monday), 12:30-4:30pm, 36-156

• *Leadership Development for MIT Graduate Engineers: Institutional and
Student Perspectives *
Explore and help shape future leadership development programs for MIT
graduate engineers. Co-sponsored with the SoE dean’s graduate engineering
development committee.
January 15 (Tuesday), 12:30-3:30pm, Room 36-156

• *Motivating and Developing Others *
Gain tools for "bringing out the best" in team members.
January 22 (Tuesday), 12:30-4:30pm, 36-156

• *Mastering Constructive Conflict*
Learn how to leverage conflict to create positive team outcomes.
January 24 (Thursday), 12:30-4:30pm, 36-156

• *Discovering and Developing Your Leadership Strengths*
Build self-awareness for inventing your unique leadership paths.
January 28 (Monday), 12:30-4:30pm, 36-156

This series is offered through the Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership
Program (GEL) in collaboration with a group of leading graduate engineering
students. Open to all MIT Graduate Community members, but preference will
be given to those enrolled in the School of Engineering. In 2016, the
National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) ranked Leadership as
#1 on their list of most sought after attributes and skills by employers in
new college graduates. (Students who complete the whole series can
highlight this on their resumes or vita.)

*For more information, please visit our website
<http://gelp.mit.edu/grad-students/grad-iap-workshops-2019>.

*To Register:* Email Lisa Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu)

You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
this list.

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu