[GWAMIT] NE GWiSE Meeting and recruitment, Upcoming GWAMIT Events!

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Thu Apr 19 14:03:46 EDT 2018

Hello GW at MIT!

Hope you enjoyed the long weekend! We have a few important things for you below that are coming up soon including opportunities to get involved with a multi-university graduate women's advocacy organization (NE GWiSE) and some awesome GW at MIT events in early May (RBG Film + Boba, Salsa Dancing Class, and Happy Hour with women from Malaysia's Asia School of Business)! More information is below and we'll send you updates about the salsa class and happy hour in the coming weeks. Hope to see you at the events!

Best,
GW at MIT Board

1. New England Graduate Women in Science & Engineering (NE GWiSE)- Monthly Meeting and recruitment!
When: Monday, April 23, 2018, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT (you're welcome to leave early!)
Where: 32-124, MIT
Check out our website: https://negwise.wordpress.com/
RSVP: Let us know if you're interested (and coming or not) here<https://goo.gl/forms/IoIhXr7TCPdTvZLk1>! Dinner will be served!
If you're interested in finding out more about NE GWiSE, ways to get involved, and free dinner, come to our open meeting on Monday! If you can't make it but still want to learn more, there's a bit of information below and you should also email Molly (GW at MIT and NE GWiSE co-chair) at mbird at mit.edu. Thanks!

Who are we: NE GWiSE is an alliance between groups of graduate women in STEM from universities across New England (BC, BU, Brandeis, Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, NEU, and Tufts). We are joining together to support and celebrate women-identified graduate students in STEM fields, to increase awareness of the issues we face, and create change within our community.

What do we do: NE GWiSE advocates for graduate women at our partner schools and in the New England area! This past year we focused on sexual harassment and Title IX policies. We've been working with Title IX and student-advocacy offices at our partner schools to figure out how we can improve campus climates. We had our Spring to Action event on March 3rd at Tufts to discuss the current problems and climates, what we think could be improved, and how to ask for those changes at our schools. We are also trying to help other schools form school-wide women's groups (like GW at MIT) if they don't already have one. We helped Tufts GWiSE form this year and are currently working with BC.

Ways to get involved (more info on interest sheet): 1) Join our email list and attend our events. 2) Help us plan our annual events (August Retreat- professional development + social; March Spring to Action- advocacy forum/conference). 3) Join the board as an MIT representative or in a position (co-chair, treasurer, secretary, etc.) (attend monthly meetings)

2. May First Friday: RBG Film + Boba!
When: Friday, May 4th, 2018, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM EDT
Where: Meet at Bon Me to grab bubble tea, film starts 7pm at Kendall Square Theatre
Sign up: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gwmit-presents-rbg-film-boba-tickets-45264641762
(limited spots! when tickets run out you'll be added to the waitlist)

Come join GW at MIT for our May first Friday event! RBG is a new documentary film about Ruth Bader Ginsburg. "An intimate portrait of an unlikely rock star: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. With unprecedented access, the filmmakers explore how her early legal battles changed the world for women."

Meet at 6:30 at Bon Me for Boba and to pick up your ticket for the 7 pm showing. Please sign up to be allocated a ticket - limited supply!

3. Learn to Lead and Follow: Salsa Class!
When: Late evening during first week of May, exact day and time TBD
Where: Sid-Pac
Sign up: Coming soon once details are set! Event will be free and we encourage everyone to attend (men too!)!

4. Happy Hour with visiting women from Malaysia's Asia School of Business
When: Tuesday, May 8th, 2018 at 7pm
Where: Meadhall
Sign up: Coming soon!

Interested in working in or making connections with Malaysia? Want to catch up with your fellow GW at MIT members while meeting women from the other side of the world? Join GW at MIT in welcoming women from Sloan's partner school, Asia School of Business, to Boston! Light appetizers and 1 drink ticket per person will be available!