[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of March 20, 2017

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Mar 20 02:42:15 EDT 2017

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of March 20, 2017
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=55553f5043&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
March 20, 2017
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Come to the GWAMIT Spring 2017 General Board Meeting! (Mar. 14)
2. Apply to the next GWAMIT Executive Board 2017! (now)
3. Come to the our weekly Empowerment Conference meeting! (every Wed)

*MIT:*
4. Women Take the Reel film festival: Power & Access (now-Mar. 24)
5. [Cheneyroom] March @ the Cheney Room! (Mar. 23)
6. Apply for a Funded Public Service Fellowship for Summer 2017 (Mar. 24)
7. GCWS Conference - The Personal Is Still Political: Challenging
Marginalization through Theory, Analysis, and Praxis (Mar. 31-Apr. 1)
8. Making It All Add Up – Part II: The Big Financial Decisions (Apr. 4)
9. MIT Sloan Africa Innovate Conference 2017 (Apr. 8)
10. [MITWGS] The Louis Kampf Writing Prize in Women's and Gender Studies
(Apr. 15)
11. Developing Your Emotional Intelligence: Improving Personal and
Professional Relationships (Apr. 25)

*Outside MIT:*
12. [Catalyst Collaborative at MIT] Paradise: This is What A Scientist Looks
Like (now)
13. MOTHER TONGUE: Pan-Asian Boston-Area Women Artists BHCC Art Gallery
(now-Apr. 14)
14. BCG CONNECTION EVENT (Mar. 20)
15. Women in Cambridge: A Night at the Theater (Mar. 21)
16. Scientista Symposium 2017- Call for Abstracts (Apr. 8-9)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

Our Spring 2017 General Board Meeting is rescheduled to this Tuesday. We
hope to see you there!

We are still looking for candidates for our executive board for the next
school year. Please see the detailed info below!

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************

*1. **Come to the GWAMIT Spring 2016 General Board Meeting!*
*When:* Tuesday, March 21th, 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM
*Where: *MIT Building 32-141
*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdGZn4RgttInVY0ih4Wy3URz5JTxnGhLBkGg_di7TRAgYeNcw/viewform>
Please join us for the GWAMIT Spring 2017 General Board Meeting!
We welcome everyone to this meeting: members, departmental representatives,
anyone wanting to know more about GWAMIT and discuss personal, professional
as well as academic issues relevant to our community.
Food and drinks will be provided!
*2. Apply to the next GWAMIT Executive Board 2017!*
*When:* now
*Apply:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZcyeeUisIjh_4yDlKIcAjLnwKCIdaaZqTywA1nrwh49Nj9A/viewform?usp=sf_link>
Interested in being more involved in GWAMIT?
Have you attended or helped plan a past GWAMIT activity, and would you like
to become a member of the Executive Board?
Would you like to be active in supporting graduate women and engaging with
the Institute?
Apply now for a GWAMIT Executive Board position!
Before applying, please take a look at our website, and email
gwamit-exec at mit.edu to schedule a brief, 1:1 interview with a current
Executive Board member.
*3. Come to the our weekly Empowerment Conference meeting! *
*When:* Wednesdays, 11:00AM – 12:00PM
*Where: *MIT Building 56-180
Our Empowerment Conference team is meeting every week for the planning of
the conference.
If you would like to get involved with us, this is definitely a great start.
************** MIT **************

*4. [MITWGS] Women Take the Reel film festival: Power & Access Where &
Where: *
Fri March 17, Daughters of the Dust at Bartos Theatre
Fri March 24, Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger in 6-120
*Info*: link <http://wgs.mit.edu/women-take-the-reel/>
This annual film festival is a collaborative effort among Women's and
Gender Studies departments involved in the Graduate Consortium in Women's
Studies (as well as select institutions/universities aligned with its
mission) that features films directed by women and about issues relating to
gender, race, sexuality, class and/or feminism.
The focus is on intellectual investigation of these issues as well as
visibility for female directors, and so every film is accompanied by a Q&A
and discussion with either the film director, producer, or a faculty member
from the film screening's host institution host institution.
All films are free and open to the public.
All MIT screenings begin at 7:00pm with Otto’s Pizza served at 6:30pm.
*6. [Cheneyroom] March @ the Cheney Room!*
*When:* March 23rd
*7. GCWS Conference - The Personal Is Still Political: Challenging
Marginalization through Theory, Analysis, and Praxis*
*When: *March 31st - April 1st
*Where: *MIT Building 32
*Info*: link
<http://web.mit.edu/gcws/news+events/2017-thepersonalisstillpolitical-Home.html>
*Register*: link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSciFbRCSSMHKd3rDcQ0JjUjiMnvOyS77n-IOH4YHbCu0HIuNw/viewform?c=0&w=1>
The graduate students from nine universities of the Boston-area Graduate
Consortium in Women's Studies present a biannual interdisciplinary
conference entitled "The Personal Is Still Political: Challenging
Marginalization through Theory, Analysis, and Praxis" to be held at MIT on
March 31st and April 1st, 2017.
Thirty years ago, Audre Lorde remarked that “the absence of [race,
sexuality, class, and age] weakens any feminist discussion of the personal
and the political.” We build upon this inclusive declaration to examine the
diverse reach of state oppressions, violence, hegemonic intervention, and
marginality in the contemporary moment. We also aim to explore modes of
resistance to such repression. Some of the questions this conference seeks
to address include (but are not limited to):
- How have intersectional approaches to praxis reshaped this concept as a
useful tool for counter-hegemonic struggles?
- How do repressed groups and individuals enact or challenge “the personal
as political” in their daily, lived experiences?
- How is this concept relevant to linkages between academia, activism, and
practice?
*8. Making It All Add Up – Part II: The Big Financial Decisions*
*When:* Tuesday, April 4, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Building 46-3189
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/making-it-all-add-up-part-ii-the-big-financial-decisions-registration-31289628120>
Presenters –
Steven Dimitriou, B.A., AIF, PRP; Co-Founder and Managing Partner,
Mayflower Advisors
Lawrence Glazer, AAMS; Co-Founder and Managing Partner, Mayflower Advisors
Dinner will be available beginning at 5:00 p.m. and the seminar
presentation will run from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
Do you feel like your finances control the decisions you make, instead of
the other way around? Do you ever wonder how you’ll manage to pay your
loans, your rent, and your bills, and live your life on your salary?
Steve Dimitriou and Larry Glazer will continue their conversation from this
fall’s Making It All Add Up-Part I seminar and will address important
financial decisions and essential factors to consider when making them.
This session will focus on life’s big investments, including the decision
to go back to graduate school, buy a home, or start a family. Come learn
about the small decisions that can add up to make a big impact. It is never
too early to start being prepared.
*9. MIT Sloan Africa Innovate Conference 2017*
*When: *Saturday, April 8th, 8:00 AM – 6:30 PM
*Where:* MIT Media Lab | 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
*Register*: link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-sloan-africa-innovate-conference-2017-tickets-32279109686>
The annual MIT Sloan Africa Innovate Conference is a unique forum that
brings together the strengths of MIT and leading entrepreneurs and
change-agents from across the African continent. The conference attracts
over 400 business leaders, entrepreneurs, students, professors, and alumni,
all with strong interests in Africa. The theme for this year's conference
is “Africa Innovate Conference: Ideas to Impact” and discussions will focus
on how to transform promising ideas into sustainable businesses in Africa.
Our closing keynote speaker this year will be Her Excellency Dr. Ameenah
Gurib-Fakim, President of the Republic of Mauritius.
*10. [MITWGS] The Louis Kampf Writing Prize in Women's and Gender Studies*
*Deadline: *Friday, April 14th, 5:00PM
*Info:* link <https://wgs.mit.edu/kampf-prize/>
The $500 prize, sponsored by The Program in Women's and Gender Studies
(WGS), was started in 1995-96 to honor Louis Kampf, distinguished professor
emeritus of Literature and Women's Studies, and to reward high quality
undergraduate writing in women's and gender studies. The Prize is judged by
faculty from WGS. It also includes a luncheon in May with committee members
and a guest of your choosing.

*11. **Developing Your Emotional Intelligence: Improving Personal and
Professional Relationships*
*When:* Tuesday, April 25, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Building 46-3189
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/developing-your-emotional-intelligence-improving-personal-and-professional-relationships-registration-31289770546>
Presenter – Wendy Wollner, M.S., M.B.A.; Founder and CEO, Balancing Life’s
Issues
Dinner will be available beginning at 5:00 p.m. and the seminar
presentation will run from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
Emotional Intelligence (EQ) is one of the many kinds of intelligence we use
every day. One difference is that we can actually improve our EQ, which
research has shown can enhance our careers and relationships. Learn how
identifying, understanding, and actively using our own and others’ emotions
can help make or break interactions with others, professionally and
personally. This seminar provides skills, tools, and interactive exercises
to give you a sense of why self-awareness and awareness of others have huge
value in all areas of your life.
*11. Apply for a Funded Public Service Fellowship for Summer 2017!*
*Deadline:* Friday, March 24th at noon
*Where:* PKG Public Service Center (W20-549) Conference Room
*Info:* link <http://studentlife.mit.edu/pkgcenter/fellowships>
The Fellowships program supports MIT students working on capacity-building
service projects. Students work with community-focused organizations
including non-profits and social enterprises. These can include a student's
own social enterprise.
What can you do? Follow your passion and benefit a community in need! You
can create your own project, continue work on an enterprise you already
started, or intern with a service organization.
We welcome a wide range of service projects and support work in the US and
abroad.
Funding is primarily used for travel/living expenses.
Average summer funding is $4,700.
Proposal Workshops:
When: Thursday, March 16 from 12 –1pm
            Friday, March 17 from 12:30 –1:30pm
            Wednesday, March 22 from 11:30am –12:30pm
Where: PKG Public Service Center (W20-549) Conference Room
Questions? Contact Alison at hynd at mit.edu
************** Outside MIT **************

*12. [Catalyst Collaborative at MIT] Paradise: This is What A Scientist Looks
Like*
*When:* now
*Form:* link
<https://www.centralsquaretheater.org/about/catalyst-collaborative-at-mit/scientist-looks-like/>
In April 2017, Central Square Theater is producing Paradise by Laura Maria
Censabella, about a dynamic Yemeni-American high-school girl who discovers
a passion for science. Her teacher helps her navigate dreams of becoming a
research scientist in spite of the challenges of stereotypes – from both
within and without her Muslim community – about women in science.
As part of Central Square Theater’s science-theater initiative, Catalyst
Collaborative @ MIT, we are launching a campaign promoting Paradise,
inspired by how the face of American science is changing, and to make vivid
the achievements of female scientists, scientists of color, and young
scientists.
Our goal is to find professionals and students – in any and all fields of
science – to answer the questions below and send us a photo. We will post
these on Central Square Theater’s social media, link you to a ticket
discount code for Paradise, and thank you in our printed program.
Please use this form to tell us more about your achievements and
aspirations – we are excited to hear from you!
This campaign continues the spirit and mission of the This Is What A
Scientist Looks Like project developed by freelance science writer Allie
Wilkinson to challenge the stereotypical perception of a scientist.
*13. MOTHER TONGUE: Pan-Asian Boston-Area Women Artists BHCC Art Gallery*
*When: *March 9 – April 14
*Where*: 250 New Rutherford Ave., Boston, MA  02129
Experience this multi-media group exhibit that explores the complex
relationship between personal identity, storytelling and cultural
expectation.
With special featured screenings of videos from the Media Literacy Course,
Asian American Studies Program/UMass Boston
The Mary L. Fifield Art Gallery at Bunker Hill Community College is free
and open to the public.
Gallery hours: M/W/F 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; T/Th 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m.
– 2 p.m.
*14. BCG CONNECTION EVENT*
*When:* March 20, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
*Where:* Charles Hotel
*Register:* link <https://www.bcg.com/careers/join/on-campus/mit-adv.aspx>
Meet BCG'ers from many of our offices and learn about strategy consulting
and BCG in general. There will be a brief presentation followed by a
networking session!
*15. Women in Cambridge: A Night at the Theater*
*When: *March 21st, 6:00PM
*Where*: Central Square Theater, 450 Mass Ave., Cambridge
Deciding what to do after you finish your advanced degree? Consider
management consulting and For March, we are taking a trip to the Central
Square Theater to mingle and meet the Directors! They have a beautiful and
versatile space, as well as a wide range of productions, programs, and
community involvement. Catherine Carr Kelly, Debra Wise, and Lee Gardner
will be there to share their passion for the Central Square Theater with
us. This is a can't miss!
*16. Scientista Symposium 2017 - Call for Abstracts*
*When: *Saturday, April 8 - Sunday, April 9
*Where: *11 Times Square, New York, New York
*Register:* link
<https://scisymp2017.splashthat.com/?utm_source=Scientista+Foundation+Newsletter+A&utm_campaign=7c4b21a808-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_16&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7719591846-7c4b21a808-341266265>
If you're a college student, graduate student, or recent grad in STEM
looking to for a little motivation, inspiration, and looking to find out
about a wide breadth of career opportunities at your fingertips, you're not
going to want to miss this!
This year's conference theme is "Scientistas, Stand Up! Become a Leader in
STEM" and it is more jam-packed with opportunities than ever.
Come find your new job, present your research or apps, or simply attend to
hear some of the most prominent women in STEM.
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu