[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of July 10, 2017

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jul 10 23:24:09 EDT 2017

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of July 10, 2017
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=c3659c2359>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
*July 10, 2017*
------------------------------

*FROM THE BOARD*

Dear GW at MIT Members,

We hope everyone is enjoying the warm, sunny days!

GW at MIT is actively seeking a Publicity Chair and Orientation Women's Lunch
Chair - so if you're interested, reach out to us and join the vibrant
community of women that is GW at MIT! More details included in the description
below.

As always, there are lots of opportunities to get involved with GW at MIT
throughout the summer, so be sure to check them out!

The GW at MIT Board
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Intel Lunch n' Learn (July 28)
2. Apply to organize Orientation Women's Welcome Lunch (now)
3. Apply to be GW at MIT Publicity Chair! (now)
4. Join us at the Mentoring Program Committee! (now)
*MIT:*
5. MIT List Visual Arts Center: Civil Disobedience (July 18 - Oct 29)
6. The Nuts and Bolts of an Academic Job Search (July 19)
7. MIT School of Engineering Communication Lab (July 24-28)
8. SOLVE MIT : Women and Technology (Aug 01)
9. MIT Aikido Club (T, W, F)
*Outside MIT:*
10. Job Opening: Director of Engineering at Flare (now)
11. Postdoc Opening: Statistics, Reproductive Health (now)
12. Apply to McKinsey & Company: Advanced Degree Roles (July 17)
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************** GW at MIT ************* *

*1. Intel Lunch n' Learn Panel *
*When: *July 28, 11:45-1:15
*Where:* 4-145
*RSVP:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/intel-lunch-n-learn-getting-the-first-job-tickets-36082714370>

Join a panel of women engineers from Intel as they discuss their
experiences working in industry, and dispense invaluable advice about
getting that first job out of school. Be sure to stay around for lunch and
networking after their talks! Read more about the panelists and RSVP here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/intel-lunch-n-learn-getting-the-first-job-tickets-36082714370>
.
*2. Apply to organize the Orientation Women's Welcome Lunch! *
*When: *Now
*Apply: *link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdri-KIdPAIR8KrDbn3IC_5fMX-oVh2LRaRSHCp8BnX2MiQ9Q/viewform>

Welcome the incoming graduate women at MIT with a fun and food-filled
women's lunch! GW at MIT is currently recruiting (up to) 2 Co-Chairs for our
annual Orientation Women’s Welcome Lunch to be held in September 2016. This
is a low time commitment and fun opportunity to get involved with the
existing as well as future graduate women at MIT! Click to APPLY using the
link provided above and reach out to us at gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you have
any questions!
*3. Apply to be GW at MIT Publicity Chair*
*When:* Now
*Apply:* gwamit-exec at mit.edu <gwamit-mentor at mit.edu>
Are you passionate about social-media engagement? Are hashtags, snaps and
insta your jam? Do you have creative marketing and communication skills? Do
you want to apply these skills at an organizational scale? Join GW at MIT as a
Publicity Chair!

The responsibilities of the Publicity Chair will include:
- Managing and updating GW at MIT's social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook,
Instagram as well as blog and website)
- Designing promotional materials (such as posters, flyers, banners) for
official GW at MIT events and conferences
- Attend weekly board meetings and have fun with the rest of the awesome
board members!

If you're excited about helping GW at MIT become social-media savvy and gain
greater visibility on campus, please email us at gwamit-exec at mit.edu
<gwamit-mentor at mit.edu> with a short description of who you are (name,
year, department) and if you any experience  with publicity, marketing, or
digital content (even if it is personal!) :)
*4. Mentoring Program Committee*
*When:* Now
*Apply:* gwamit-mentor at mit.edu
Interested in helping women graduate students connect with faculty and
alumni mentors? Excited about applying your technical and organizing skills
to creative projects? Come and join us at the Mentoring Program Committee!

We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
- Events Chair (overseeing the events which bring mentor and mentees
together throughout the year)
- Dear Kate Lead and Website Chair (curate a monthly advice column in which
mentors from the program respond to questions from grad students and
maintain website)

If you have interest in helping to cultivate rewarding mentoring
relationships by helping us brainstorm new ideas, organize events, and
match mentors and mentees, please get in touch (gwamit-mentor at mit.edu) with
us with the following:
1) Which position you'd like to apply for, and
2) Why you're excited about GWAMIT Mentoring! :)
For more information on the GWAMIT Mentoring program, please visit our
website <http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/mentoring-program/>.
************** MIT **************

*5. MIT List Visual Arts Center: Civil Disobedience*
*When:* July 18 - October 29, 2017
*Website:* link
<https://listart.mit.edu/exhibitions/list-projects-civil-disobedience>
*List Projects: Civil Disobedience* is a program of documentaries, news
footage, citizen journalism, artist’s films and videos focusing on moments
of political resistance and public demonstration from the early 20th
century through today. Presenting records from the historical Civil Rights
and women’s movements, gay liberation and AIDS activism, the Black Lives
Matter movement, and recent Women’s Marches recognize the history of
resistance, and considers the role that artists and documentarians play in
chronicling and confronting abuses of power and social injustice.

Thursday evening film program:

*I Am Not Your Negro (*2016) Directed by Raoul Peck. 95 min.

*July 20, 6 pm  July 27, 6 pm  August 3, 6 pm*
All programs are free and open to the general public. RSVP
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/film-screening-i-am-not-your-negro-2016-dir-raoul-peck-tickets-35432482509>
required.
*6. The Nuts and Bolts of an Academic Job Search*
*When:* July 19th
*Where: *34-101
*Time*:  2:30pm-4pm
Are you considering an academic career? Wondering how to mount a successful
job search in a highly competitive academic job market? Come and hear how
others have done it. Faculty panelists who successfully landed a position
will outline an effective search strategy and discuss important elements of
the process – finding opportunities of interest, preparing a strong
application, the role of your advisors, interviewing, negotiating, and how
the increasingly competitive job market is changing the faculty search
process. We are very honored to have a diverse group of panelists
consisting of MIT, Tufts, and Wheelock College professors

*Panelists:*
Professor Anna Frebel, Silverman: (1968) Family Career Development
Assistant Professor of Physics, MIT
Professor Barbara Imperiali: Class of 1922 Professor of Biology and
Professor of Chemistry, MIT
Professor Elizabeth Nolan: Associate Professor of Chemistry, MIT
Professor Carolin Cardamone: Assistant Professor of Astronomy, Wheelock
College
Professor Lenore Cowen: Professor of Computer Science, Tufts University
Professor Shafiqul Islam: Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering,
Professor of Water Diplomacy, Tufts University.
*7. MIT School of Engineering Communication Lab: Summer Institute*
*When:* July 24th - 28th
*Where: *Whitaker Building, 56-614
*Sign-up*: link <http://mitcommlab.mit.edu/events/>
We warmly invite you to join us for our first Communication Lab Summer
Institute, a hands-on workshop for students, postdocs, and administrators.
Participants will learn how to create innovative communication resources
for engineers and scientists.
July 24- 27, 2017: Communication Lab Summer Institute
July 28, 2017: Optional additional day to learn about our Fellow training
curriculum, which is available for purchase.
The deadline for submitting your registration and payment is Monday, July
17, 2017.
*8. SOLVE MIT Challenge : Women and Technology*
*Submission Deadline:* August 1
*Apply:* link <https://solve.mit.edu/challenges/women-and-technology>

How can women and girls of all socioeconomic backgrounds use technology to
fully participate and prosper in the economy? The Solve community aims to
unearth and support innovative solutions to ensure women and girls can
fully participate and prosper in the workforce and the economy.
To do so, the Solve community can:
- Improve connectivity and technology access for women, particularly in
underserved areas
- Increase women’s financial inclusion through access to digital payments,
savings, investment, and insurance
- Increase opportunities for dignified income generation in nontraditional
sectors and through access to new supply chains and new markets
- Correct for bias and heuristics, whether in the workplace or within
communities

If you have a solution to one of these big global challenges, apply to
become a Solver by August 1 and join the Solve community today.
*9. MIT Aikido Club (A Japanese Martial Art)*
*When:* Friday, July 14, 6:00PM - 7:00PM
*Where: *W-32
*Website:* link <http://aikido.mit.edu/>
Aikido is a Martial art that emphasizes blending with the attacker, rather
than confronting the attacker with hard techniques such as punches and
kicks.

Beginners and MIT Affiliates are always welcome to come by and observe a
practice or join us on the mat. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays and we offer a
Beginners class from 5:30 to 6pm.Regular class follows from 6pm -7pm. Meets
at Old Dupont Gym Squash courts, 3rd floor, top of far stairwell,
Multi-purpose court  #2.
************** Outside MIT **************

*10. Job Opening: Director of Engineering at Flare *
*Apply*: link <https://angel.co/flare-4/jobs/249383-principal-engineer>
Flare is a venture-backed startup based in Boston, MA. We are creating a
software platform and connected accessories that fit seamlessly into users
lives and are uniquely designed to help them in the threatening situations
they are most likely to face based on their age, gender, race, and
lifestyles. Our first product helps female college students get out of
uncomfortable situations that often lead to sexual assault or rape.

We are looking for a passionate core team member who cares deeply about the
safety issues facing marginalized communities, is fed-up with the status
quo, wants to play an instrumental role in the early stages of a startup,
and is ready to fully dive into creating lasting change. Sitting at the
intersection of hardware and software development, you will be the guiding
force in our product development, working closely with the other founders
to spearhead our technical team and define the technical direction,
architecture, and evolution of our products. The work will require
creativity, persistence, adaptability and a rapidly evolving business
environment, a passion for the unknown, and a solid knowledge of software
and electronics product development.
*11. Postdoc Opening: Statistics, Reproductive Health *
*Apply*: email <ejaniak at bwh.harvard.edu>
Seeking a doctoral-level statistician for short-term assistance with data
analysis (estimated 30-50 hours total, competitive wage). Ideal candidate
will:
- Have a masters degree, be ABD for a doctoral degree, or hold a post-doc
in biostatistics
- Have an established record of top-tier publications using linear and
logistic regression, nested observations, multilevel modeling, and similar
techniques
- Be comfortable with and demonstrate interest in reproductive health
topics including abortion
- Be available to begin late July 2017 and work through early fall
- Must submit to background checks, additional vetting and onboarding

Competitive consultant wages commensurate with experience, co-authorship on
resulting publications. Interested individuals please send an NIH-format
biosketch or brief resume to Elizabeth Janiak at ejaniak at bwh.harvard.edu
*12. Apply to McKinsey and Company  *
*Deadline:* July 17, 2017
*Apply:* link
<http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/search-jobs/jobs/associate-0000>
Deciding what to do after you finish your advanced degree? Consider
management consulting and McKinsey. We bring together an outstanding group
of colleagues, from a wide variety of backgrounds – from medicine to law,
engineering, economics and digital – to help leading organizations tackle
their most complex challenges. We have long been a leader in strategic
management; the amount of work we are doing in areas such as data science,
software engineering, machine learning, corporate restructuring, and change
management is growing rapidly. As our firm evolves, we are looking for more
and more people like you – experts in their fields – to join our community.

Join us this summer for virtual events to meet our people and explore these
opportunities. Our full-time APD Associate and MD Fellow application
deadline for 2018 start dates is July 17. Please read more about the
Associate role here
<http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/search-jobs/jobs/associate-0000> and the
MD Fellow Program here
<http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/search-jobs/jobs/md-fellow-1511>.
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu