[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of January 16, 2017

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jan 16 01:34:04 EST 2017

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of January 16, 2017
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=5df162e4aa&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
January 16, 2017
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. GW at MIT and the Title IX Office dinner (Jan. 23)
2. Sign up to organize the 2017 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference! (now)

*MIT:*
3. Prescreening of Ricky Leacock's film "November Actions" (Jan. 16)
4. [GECD] Jean-luc Doumont's popular IAP Presentations on Communication
Skills! (Jan. 19/23)
5. Apply to LEAP grant for a mentoring day for high school girls (now)
6. Patent Law Essentials: What Scientists, Engineers & Entrepreneurs Need
to Know (Jan. 20-21)
7. Boston Women’s March for America (Jan. 21)
8. MIT Global Startup Workshop Business Plan Competition (Jan. 31)
9. 2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon (Feb. 25)
10. Saturday teaching opportunities with MIT Office of Engineering Outreach
Programs (Spring 2017)

*Outside MIT:*
11. Common Purpose leadership programme (Jan. 17-20)
12. [MASS AWIS] the Proper Etiquette of job hunting (Jan. 26)
13. Volunteer Registration--Super Sunday 2017 (Feb. 5)
14. [Harvard] 2017 Dynamic Women in Business Conference: Women Empowered
(Feb. 25)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

GW at MIT is joining with the Title IX Office in organizing a dinner on
Monday, January 23. If you are interested please refer to the details in
the full announcements.

We are currently recruiting organizers for our annual Spring Empowerment
Conference, held during Spring semester 2017. If you are interested in
helping out, we encourage you to sign up with the provided link and join us!

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************

*1. GW at MIT and the Title IX Office dinner*
*When:* Monday, January 23rd, 7:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Building 7-338 | Stella room
*Register:* link
<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fmit%2fstudent>
Come join GW at MIT and the Title IX Office for dinner on Monday, January 23,
2017 at 7:00 PM in the Stella room (7-338). Please RSVP here by Monday,
January 16.
For questions, please contact Liz McCarthy at emccarth at mit.edu.
Additionally, if you have contacts in any departments or organizations,
please contact GWAMIT!
This dinner is to offer the opportunity to bring together the various
“Graduate Women in …” organizations to share struggles and successes with
experiences of gender-based discrimination, including cultures of sexism or
sexual harassment in their departments.There is work being done within
various departments to address these issues, and this dinner is to foster
cross-pollination of thoughts and ideas, as well as to share information
about available funding from the Title IX Office.
*2. Sign up to organize the 2017 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference!*
*When:* now
*Sign-up:* link
<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fmit%2fstudent>
We are currently recruiting organizers for our annual Spring Empowerment
Conference, held during Spring semester 2017:
* 2 Co-Chairs of the Empowerment Conference: Conference Co-Chairs lead the
committee members, set the conference theme, and oversee all general
planning of the conference.
* Event Leads: Each conference has 4-5 Event Leads who spearhead a single
event (either an invited speaker, a panel, a workshop, etc.). Event Leads
are part of the conference committee.
* Committee Members: attend regular meetings, contribute to theme
brainstorming, logistics, publicity, and volunteer during events.
*Please note that currently the conference is scheduled for April
10th-14th, 2017.
Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you
have any questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous
leaders and events on our website: http://gwamit.mit.edu.   Thank you for
your interest!!!
Education & Career Development, and the Office of the Dean for Graduate
Education.

*Making the Most of Your Presentation*
*When:* Thursday, January 19th, 2:00pm – 4:00pm
*Where:* MIT Building 10-250
*Register:* link
<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fmit%2fstudent>
Strong oral presentation skills are a key to success for engineers,
scientists, and other professionals, yet many speakers are at a loss to
tackle the task. Systematic as they otherwise can be in their work, they go
at it intuitively, sometimes haphazardly, with much good will but seldom
good results. Based on Dr. Doumont’s book Trees, maps, and theorems, about
“effective communication for rational minds” this lecture proposes a
systematic way to prepare and deliver presentations.  Among others, it
covers structure, slides, and delivery, as well as stage fright.  Dr.
Doumont holds an engineering degree from the Louvain School of Engineering
and a PhD in applied physics from Stanford. He specializes in professional
speaking, writing, and graphing, and incorporates a unique engineering
perspective.

*Structuring  Your Scientific Papers*
*When:* Monday, January 23rd, 2:00pm – 4:00pm
*Where:* MIT Building 10-250
*Register:* link
<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fmit%2fstudent>
Papers are one of the few deliverables of the work of researchers.
Well-designed, they efficiently allow each reader to learn only what he or
she needs to. Poorly designed, by contrast, they confuse readers, fail to
prompt decisions, or remain unread. Based on Dr. Doumont's book Trees,
maps, and theorems, about effective communication for rational minds, the
lecture shows how to structure scientific papers, theses, and technical
reports effectively at all levels to get the readers' attention, facilitate
navigation, and, in this way, get the message across optimally.  Dr.
*Contact:* Sarah Ann Goodman, goodmans at mit.edu
This project aims to introduce a new mentoring program at MIT in which high
school girls will be invited to campus to shadow graduate women for a day
and experience firsthand what a scientist or engineer does on a daily
basis. We plan to hold a mentoring day in which about 30-40 high school
girls will each be paired with a graduate woman who they will shadow for
the day. The event will include a welcome breakfast with an introduction by
a female professor, a lunch with all participants, and plenty of time
for the graduate student to show her high school mentee some of her coolest
experiments. By introducing high school students to what we as grad
students do every day, we hope to take away some of the uncertainty that
comes with the word “engineer,” since many high schoolers may not have a
clear idea of what it means to do engineering or research. Every day we are
reminded of the small percentage women make up of the graduate student
population at MIT (33% overall). By showing girls what we accomplish on a
day to day basis, we hope to help them see themselves in our roles, helping
to prevent a lack of confidence from deterring girls from the STEM fields.
We plan to invite students who have not yet experienced the environment of
a research university.
We would need someone to take the lead on publicity and safety/compliance
with MIT's policies on bringing minors to campus.
*6. Patent Law Essentials: What Scientists, Engineers & Entrepreneurs Need
to Know*
*When:* Friday, January 20, 2:00PM - 6:00PM OR Saturday, January 21, 2:00PM
- 6:00PM
*Where:* MIT Building 32-124
*Register:* link
*7. Boston Women’s March for America*
*When:* January 21st, 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
*Where:* Boston Common
*Register:* link
<https://signup.mit.edu:444/signup.php?id=womensmarch&option=0&action=signup>
*Info:* link <https://www.facebook.com/events/1907531039490905/>
On 1/21/17 at 11am, the Boston Women's March for America will be taking
place on Boston Common, as one of many events inspired by the Women's March
on Washington to demonstrate Americans' belief and commitment to equal
rights for all citizens. Confirmed speakers include Senator Elizabeth
Warren, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, and Boston Mayor Marty
Walsh.
MIT is one of many local institutions joining in on the march, and we are
organizing a pre-march meet-up for those in the MIT community that are
planning on attending.
Come to E25-119/E25-121 between 9-11am on the 21st to meet others, prepare
signs, and grab some food and drink before heading to the march.
Co-sponsored by the HST Women’s Group and the BCS Gradvocates. All are
welcome to attend. Please contact Ellen DeGennaro (edegenn at mit.edu) or
Mandy Kedaigle (mandyjoy at mit.edu) with any questions. We hope you can join
us!
*8. MIT Global Startup Workshop Business Plan Competition*
*When:* March 27-29
*Where:* Factoría Italia in Santiago
*Apply:* link <https://form.jotform.com/62854065589166>
*Deadline:* January 31st
The MIT Global Startup Workshop (GSW) is an annual 3-day conference
connecting 400 highly motivated students, young professionals, and early
stage startups, with mentors from around the world: venture investors,
CEOs, tech and innovation leaders, and successful entrepreneurs.
*This year, we are coming to Chile! *
The conference will take place March 27-29, 2017 at the Factoría Italia in
Santiago, in partnership with Ideas Factory and Universidad de Chile.
As part of the conference, our annual Business Plan Competition provides
student entrepreneurs or aspiring business owners with the opportunity to
gain seed money needed to take companies to the next level. In addition to
meeting other like-minded people at the conference and improving upon your
business plan, as a finalist, the competition offers you the opportunity to:
- Compete against 10 teams from all around the world
- Receive direct feedback for improving your idea from experienced judges
and mentors
- Have a chance to win up to $10,000 in seed money to launch your startup
The deadline for applying to the Business Plan Competition has been
extended to January 31, 2017. Finalists will be announced in mid-February
to take part in the final round. Apply here for a chance to win and grow
your business!
For more information on the GSW conference, visit us at www.mitgsw.org or
contact us at gsw-competitions at mit.edu.
*9.  2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon*
*When:* Saturday, February 25th, 2017, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Media Lab | 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
Breaking The Mold 2017: part conference, part hackathon, focused on
bringing diverse teams and skillsets together to tackle the issue of
unconscious bias.
The Breaking the Mold Hackathon is focused on leveraging MIT's community of
innovation and creativity to create solutions to hack unconscious bias. The
hackathon will being together individuals from diverse backgrounds to solve
some of the world's most pressing issues.
Research suggests that diverse groups perform better, and that a culture of
meritocracy alone is not enough to generate groups that reflect the
diversity of our society. We all have biases, conscious and unconscious,
and being aware of and managing these biases can help organizations boost
diversity among leadership groups.
Visit mitbreakingthemold.com for more informaiton!
*10. Saturday teaching opportunities with MIT Office of Engineering
Outreach Programs*
*When:* Spring, 2017
*Where:* Boston area
*Apply:* link <http://oeop.mit.edu/jobs-oeop>
*Contact:* seedstaffapp at mit.edu
During the school year, the OEOP offers an academic enrichment program
free-of-charge to 7th – 12th graders in Boston, Cambridge, and Lawrence
Public Schools. The Saturday Engineering Enrichment and Discovery (SEED)
Academy invites students to MIT for eight Saturdays each semester to take a
hands-on engineering course in addition to an academic mentoring seminar
that focuses on writing and communications skills. Through the SEED Academy
we seek to ignite and sustain an interest in STEM for students in our local
community.
This coming semester, we are looking to fill instructor positions in the
following courses:
Academic Mentoring
Biomedical Engineering
Engineering Design
Environmental Engineering
Visit http://oeop.mit.edu/jobs-oeop for full job descriptions and
application instructions. For questions, please email: seedstaffapp at mit.edu.
If you are not able to commit to teaching this upcoming semester, but would
like an opportunity to learn more about volunteer opportunities or summer
teaching opportunities with the OEOP, please email oeop at mit.edu.
************** Outside MIT **************

*11. Common Purpose leadership programme*
*When: *January 17th - 20th, 2017
*Where:* The SOCH, Harvard University
*Apply:* link <https://commonpurpose.org/gle/boston>
The four-day programme is a unique opportunity for students (undergraduate
and graduate) to develop their leadership skills and Cultural Intelligence
(CQ) – the ability to cross divides and thrive in multiple cultures.
Participants are also given the opportunity to meet and network with
leaders from the private, public, and non-profit sectors in Boston such as:
the Boston Police Department, Microsoft, the Red Cross and the Boston
Globe. We are keen to involve some of your students in this year’s
programme.
*12. [MASS AWIS] the Proper Etiquette of job hunting*
*When:* Thursday, January 26th, 5:45PM – 8:30PM
*Where:* District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Boston
*13. Volunteer Registration--Super Sunday 2017*
*When:* Sunday, February 5th, 10:00AM
*Where:* Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA
*Sign-up:* link
<https://www.racemenu.com/events/142671-Volunteer-Registration-Super-Sunday-2017>
On behalf of RACE Cancer Foundation (http://www.racecancer.org/) regarding
our upcoming fundraiser event. We are recruiting over 100 volunteers to
help at a road race on Feb. 5th, 2017.
What: Super Sunday, RACE Cancer's biggest annual fundraiser
When: Sunday, February 5, 10:00AM
Where: Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA
Featuring: 5-mile and 5K race followed by after-party; 3,000+ runners and
supporters
All volunteers are given free entry into the after-party ($25 value) which
includes two free beers (or hard cider or wine) and free food from Miller’s
Ale House, plus live music from Boston’s #1 party band BearFight.
Our event is huge, and a lot of fun. But for everything to run smoothly, we
need your help in recruiting volunteers. Not only will volunteers help us
organize a great event, they will also help kick cancer’s butt! 100% of
Super Sunday proceeds go to charity, which raised over $42,000 last year
for TargetCancer Foundation, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Home Away Boston,
and RACE Cancer Foundation. We hope to raise over $100,000 at Super Sunday
2017!
We are seeking help with the following volunteer shifts:
Volunteer 8am-12pm - Check-in & Course          (47 needed)
Volunteer 9am-1pm - Course & Post-Race             (45 needed)
Volunteer + Run 7:30am-9:30am                     (17 needed)
Run + Volunteer 11am-1pm                             (10 needed)
Bike Marshal - 9:30am-10:30am                           (9 needed)

*14.  [Harvard] 2017 Dynamic Women in Business Conference: Women Empowered*
*When:* Saturday, February 25th, 8:00PM - 6:00PM
*Where:* Spangler Center, 117 Western Ave, Boston
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/26th-annual-dynamic-women-in-business-conference-at-harvard-business-school-tickets-29207397111?mc_cid=d865ea5933&mc_eid=3d0f146407>
Hosted by Women’s Student Association (WSA), a Student Club at HBS, this
conference is a powerful forum for women to learn from, share with, and
inspire one another. This annual conference brings together over 1,000
women -- including students, alumnae, faculty, distinguished business
leaders, and community members -- to explore the opportunities and
challenges that women encounter in today’s business world.
This year's conference theme is "WOMEN EMPOWERED" More information can be
found on our website: http://wsahbsclub.com/conference/
If you are arriving early as a prospective or recently admitted student,
you may also consider joining us on Friday, February 24th for a campus tour
and information session.
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu