[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of January 9, 2017

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jan 9 01:49:50 EST 2017

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of January 9, 2017
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=6e0cdd1ade&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
January 9, 2017
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*

*MIT:*
1. MIT Energy Club: Lunch & Learn with startup Soli (Jan. 12)
2. [Cheneyroom] Logo Design Contest @ the Cheney Room! (Jan. 15)
3. Patent Law Essentials: What Scientists, Engineers & Entrepreneurs Need
to Know (Jan. 20-21)
4. Boston Women’s March for America (Jan. 21)
5. 2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon (Feb. 25)
6. Saturday teaching opportunities with MIT Office of Engineering Outreach
Programs (Spring 2017)

*Outside MIT:*
7. ART+SCIENCE Field Studies Opportunity (Jan. 10-15)
8. Common Purpose leadership programme (Jan. 17-20)
9. [MASS AWIS] the Proper Etiquette of job hunting (Jan. 26)
10. Volunteer Registration--Super Sunday 2017 (Feb. 5)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

Happy New Year!

Welcome back from the holidays! There are a lot of great events going on
over IAP, so be sure to check them out.

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************
************** MIT **************

*1. MIT Energy Club: Lunch & Learn with startup Soli*
*When:* January 12th, 12:00PM - 1:00PM
*Where:* MIT Building 10-063
*Register: *link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lunch-learn-with-startup-soli-tickets-30860679122>
Students and community members are invited to attend a lunch and learn
event featuring Soli, a Boston based start up launching this Spring.
Students will learn how they can leverage their consumer spending to reduce
CO2 emissions and fight climate change.
Soli COO, Robbie Madfis will lead a discussion on the state of climate
change, the role of carbon credits, and how we can engage consumers in a
solution. Learn more about Soli here http://solipoints.com/
Lunch will be provided, so please RSVP.
Hosted by the MIT Energy Club Climate Change Community and Soli.
*2. [Cheneyroom] Logo Design Contest @ the Cheney Room!*
*When:* Sunday, January 15th
*3. Patent Law Essentials: What Scientists, Engineers & Entrepreneurs Need
to Know*
*When:* Friday, January 20, 2:00PM - 6:00PM OR Saturday, January 21, 2:00PM
- 6:00PM
*Where:* MIT Building 32-124
*Register:* link
*4. Boston Women’s March for America*
*When:* January 21st, 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
*Where:* Boston Common
*Register:* link
<https://signup.mit.edu:444/signup.php?id=womensmarch&option=0&action=signup>
*Info:* link <https://www.facebook.com/events/1907531039490905/>
We’re organizing an MIT contingent at the Boston arm of the Women’s March
for America. Inspired by the Women’s March on Washington, the March For
America seeks to create and support marches across the country for those
who cannot make it to D.C. come January 21. We will unite in Boston to
march in solidarity with communities most affected by the hate, intolerance
and acts of violence being perpetrated throughout the nation -- among many
are communities of women, immigrants, people of color, and people who
identify as LGBTQIA. All are welcome! If you will not be in Boston, find
your local march here: http://womensmarchonamerica.org/.
*5.  2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon*
*When:* Saturday, February 25th, 2017, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Media Lab | 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
Breaking The Mold 2017: part conference, part hackathon, focused on
bringing diverse teams and skillsets together to tackle the issue of
unconscious bias.
The Breaking the Mold Hackathon is focused on leveraging MIT's community of
innovation and creativity to create solutions to hack unconscious bias. The
hackathon will being together individuals from diverse backgrounds to solve
some of the world's most pressing issues.
Research suggests that diverse groups perform better, and that a culture of
meritocracy alone is not enough to generate groups that reflect the
diversity of our society. We all have biases, conscious and unconscious,
and being aware of and managing these biases can help organizations boost
diversity among leadership groups.
Visit mitbreakingthemold.com for more informaiton!
*6. Saturday teaching opportunities with MIT Office of Engineering Outreach
Programs*
*When:* Spring, 2017
*Where:* Boston area
*Apply:* link <http://oeop.mit.edu/jobs-oeop>
*Contact:* seedstaffapp at mit.edu
During the school year, the OEOP offers an academic enrichment program
free-of-charge to 7th – 12th graders in Boston, Cambridge, and Lawrence
Public Schools. The Saturday Engineering Enrichment and Discovery (SEED)
Academy invites students to MIT for eight Saturdays each semester to take a
hands-on engineering course in addition to an academic mentoring seminar
that focuses on writing and communications skills. Through the SEED Academy
we seek to ignite and sustain an interest in STEM for students in our local
community.
This coming semester, we are looking to fill instructor positions in the
following courses:
Academic Mentoring
Biomedical Engineering
Engineering Design
Environmental Engineering
Visit http://oeop.mit.edu/jobs-oeop for full job descriptions and
application instructions. For questions, please email: seedstaffapp at mit.edu.
If you are not able to commit to teaching this upcoming semester, but would
like an opportunity to learn more about volunteer opportunities or summer
teaching opportunities with the OEOP, please email oeop at mit.edu.
************** Outside MIT **************

*7.  ART+SCIENCE Field Studies Opportunity*
*When:* January 10-15, 2017
*Apply:* link <http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/island-life>
ISLAND LIFE: Tropical Field Studies of Art+Nature in Puerto Rico is a
hands-on, immersive, and project-based program that integrates biology and
art in the field, at various environments in Puerto Rico. The focus of the
program is to learn about Puerto Rico's diverse wildlife through artmaking
and field biology.  We travel to rainforests, dry forests, beach, coastal,
coral reef, mangrove, and mountain environments.  The program involves
multiple site-specific projects that integrate creativity, art and biology.
There are limited spaces available, and anyone interested in this travel
experience is highly encouraged to apply today! Please click on the links
for photos and more information, and don't hesitate to let me know if you
have any questions. Thank you for helping us to spread the word about this
unique opportunity!
*8. Common Purpose leadership programme*
*When: *January 17th - 20th, 2017
*Where:* The SOCH, Harvard University
*Apply:* link <https://commonpurpose.org/gle/boston>
The four-day programme is a unique opportunity for students (undergraduate
and graduate) to develop their leadership skills and Cultural Intelligence
(CQ) – the ability to cross divides and thrive in multiple cultures.
Participants are also given the opportunity to meet and network with
leaders from the private, public, and non-profit sectors in Boston such as:
the Boston Police Department, Microsoft, the Red Cross and the Boston
Globe. We are keen to involve some of your students in this year’s
programme.
*9. [MASS AWIS] the Proper Etiquette of job hunting*
*When:* Thursday, January 26th, 5:45PM – 8:30PM
*Where:* District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Boston
*10. Volunteer Registration--Super Sunday 2017*
*When:* Sunday, February 5th, 10:00AM
*Where:* Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA
*Sign-up:* link
<https://www.racemenu.com/events/142671-Volunteer-Registration-Super-Sunday-2017>
On behalf of RACE Cancer Foundation (http://www.racecancer.org/) regarding
our upcoming fundraiser event. We are recruiting over 100 volunteers to
help at a road race on Feb. 5th, 2017.
What: Super Sunday, RACE Cancer's biggest annual fundraiser
When: Sunday, February 5, 10:00AM
Where: Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA
Featuring: 5-mile and 5K race followed by after-party; 3,000+ runners and
supporters
All volunteers are given free entry into the after-party ($25 value) which
includes two free beers (or hard cider or wine) and free food from Miller’s
Ale House, plus live music from Boston’s #1 party band BearFight.
Our event is huge, and a lot of fun. But for everything to run smoothly, we
need your help in recruiting volunteers. Not only will volunteers help us
organize a great event, they will also help kick cancer’s butt! 100% of
Super Sunday proceeds go to charity, which raised over $42,000 last year
for TargetCancer Foundation, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Home Away Boston,
and RACE Cancer Foundation. We hope to raise over $100,000 at Super Sunday
2017!
We are seeking help with the following volunteer shifts:
Volunteer 8am-12pm - Check-in & Course          (47 needed)
Volunteer 9am-1pm - Course & Post-Race             (45 needed)
Volunteer + Run 7:30am-9:30am                     (17 needed)
Run + Volunteer 11am-1pm                             (10 needed)
Bike Marshal - 9:30am-10:30am                           (9 needed)

You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu