[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of February 6, 2017

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Feb 6 00:02:46 EST 2017

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of February 6, 2017
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=bfd270a0d9&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
February 6, 2017
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Event Planning Bootcamp (Feb. 9)
2. Sign up to organize the 2017 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference! (now)
3. Archer Roose Tasting and Discussion with Founder Marian Leitner (Feb. 15)

*MIT:*
4. GSC-UA Call Congress Phone Bank event (Feb. 6)
5. StudySoup Scholarship for Women in Technology (now)
6. [AMITA] Investing in Sustainable Businesses (Feb. 9)
7. MIT IDEAS Spring Generator Dinner 2017 (Feb. 9)
8. MC^2 Multicultural Conference 2017: Radical Healing, Critical Hope: So
What Now? (Feb. 10-11)
9. [MITWGS] Comedian Leslie Jones coming to campus (Feb. 19)
10. Nominate for Graduate Women of Excellence 2017 (Feb. 20)
11. 2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon (Feb. 25)

*Outside MIT:*
12. Gender, Politics, and Imagination: An Afternoon with Jennifer Finney
Boylan (Feb. 16)
13. [Harvard] 2017 Dynamic Women in Business Conference: Women Empowered
(Feb. 25)
14. CALL for ART MOTHER TONGUE Pan-Asian Arts Boston-Area Female Artists
(Mar.)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

We are currently recruiting organizers for our annual Spring Empowerment
Conference, held during Spring semester 2017. To help you become
familiar with the conference and event planning at MIT, we are offering a
crash course this Thursday. Everyone is welcome. Join us if you are
interested!

Another great event we are holding is a wine tasting and discussion with
founder of Archer Roose. Spots are limited. Reserve your seat now!

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************

*1. Event Planning Bootcamp*
*When: *Thursday, February 9th, 5:00PM - 6:30PM
*Where: *MIT Building 56-154
General crash course to conference and event planning at MIT: Ever struggle
with how to book a room or how to contact speakers? Come to our bootcamp
and you'll be prepared for your next event!
This will also be our kick-off event for GWAMIT's Empowerment Conference
Planning Committee so if you're interested in being a part of the committee
please attend!
Refreshments will be provided.
*2. Sign up to organize the 2017 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference!*
*When:* now
*Sign-up:* link
<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fmit%2fstudent>
We are currently recruiting organizers for our annual Spring Empowerment
Conference, held during Spring semester 2017:
* 2 Co-Chairs of the Empowerment Conference: Conference Co-Chairs lead the
committee members, set the conference theme, and oversee all general
planning of the conference.
* Event Leads: Each conference has 4-5 Event Leads who spearhead a single
event (either an invited speaker, a panel, a workshop, etc.). Event Leads
are part of the conference committee.
* Committee Members: attend regular meetings, contribute to theme
brainstorming, logistics, publicity, and volunteer during events.
*Please note that currently the conference is scheduled for April
10th-14th, 2017.
Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you
have any questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous
leaders and events on our website: http://gwamit.mit.edu.   Thank you for
your interest!!!
*3. Archer Roose Tasting and Discussion with Founder, Marian Leitner*
*When:* Wednesday, February 15th, 5:00PM - 6:30PM
*Where:* MIT Building W20 | Student Center, Public Dining Rooms 1&2
*Sign-up:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLPzqErQzcSGSIi6MoUIjKi9AMAfJn1gjKIViJLHmj70JjMQ/viewform?c=0&w=1>
Come socialize with graduate women across MIT and talk to entrepreneur and
founder Marian Leitner about her experiences! Her newest company, Archer
Roose, sells quality and eco-friendly boxed wine. We will get to experience
her product while we learn about her journey.
Bring 21+ ID.
Light snacks and non-alcoholic drinks will also be provided.
Spots are limited. Please sign up to reserve your seat.
************** MIT **************

*4. GSC-UA Call Congress Phone Bank event*
*When:* Monday, February 6th, 12:00PM - 4:00PM
*Where:* MIT Building 26-314
The Graduate Student Council (GSC) and Undergrad Association (UA) will be
holding a Call Congress Phone Bank event on Monday, February 6th
(Registration Day!!), from 12noon to 4pm in 26-314. We will be focused on
the Executive Order signed last Friday, which restricted entry to the US
for many international students and scholars.
Attendees will be provided with:
== Food!
== Information on contacting Congressional Offices
== Scripts that can be used to guide conversations with staff in those
offices
UA and GSC leadership will be available to help answer any questions.
*5. StudySoup Scholarship for Women in Technology*
*When: *now
*Register:* link <https://studysoup.com/women-in-technology-scholarship>
At StudySoup, we're constantly looking for ways to improve the educational
experiences of college students, including finding ways to lighten their
financial burdens.
One way we're doing this is through our scholarship program. We're offering
a $1,000 scholarship to women seeking a career in computer science and/or
computer programming, a field they are highly underrepresented in. The
scholarship will be awarded to a female student who demonstrates a passion
for computer science and is actively seeking opportunities for a meaningful
career in the industry.
We want as many students as possible to apply and need your help to make
that happen! If you know any students that might be eligible for this,
please post our link and encourage them to apply!
*6. [AMITA] Investing in Sustainable Businesses*
*When:* Thursday, February 9th, 6:00PM - 8:00PM
*Where:* MIT Building 1-190
*Register:* link
<http://amita.alumgroup.mit.edu/s/1314/2015/club-class-main.aspx?sid=1314&pgid=36361&gid=20&cid=56503&ecid=56503&post_id=0>
The Association of MIT Alumnae (AMITA) cordially invites you to attend our
"Investing in Sustainable Businesses" seminar this Thursday at 6pm.
Investing your money involves more than simple returns; you also encourage
the businesses receiving your money. What happens when you want to invest
but be as socially responsible as possible? Come hear sustainable equities
expert Dinah Koehler share her knowledge as a long time investor and
researcher.
*7. MIT IDEAS Spring Generator Dinner 2017*
*When:* Thursday, February 9, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Stratton Student Center (W20) Lobdell, 2nd Floor
*Apply:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-ideas-spring-generator-dinner-2017-tickets-30497043478?aff=IncompleteRegistration&utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_term=event_title_p1&ref=eemail>
Working on a project that will contribute to a better world? Need funding?
Want to recruit new team members?
Want to get involved, but don't yet have an idea?
Join us for dinner. Pitch an idea. Find a team.
The IDEAS Generator Dinner is one of the best venues to find a team to
join, pitch your idea to woo and recruit teammates, or pitch your skills to
get hired onto a team. With the last chance to submit a Scope Statement
just a few weeks away (March 2, 2017), get started at this event!
Event Program
6:45 Doors Open - Dinner
7:00 Opening Remarks
7:15 Advice from Past Participants
7:45 Sixty-second Pitches
8:15 Networking
9:00 Event Ends
During the event, we will have openings for 20-30 sixty-second pitches from
attendees.You must sign up in advance to request a slot.
Sign up to pitch an idea or your skills when you register for this event.
Those selected to pitch will be contacted before the event with
instructions on the process.
Note: Pitching is optional! If you don’t want to pitch, just attend to mix
and mingle, meet potential teammates, or hear about some of the exciting
projects already underway.
*8. MC^2 Multicultural Conference 2017: Radical Healing, Critical Hope: So
What Now?*
*When:* Friday, February 10th - Saturday, February 11th
*Where:* MIT Endicott House, Dedham, Massachusetts
*Register:* link <http://studentlife.mit.edu/omp/multicultural-conference>
This recent election has caused a lot of division in our nation. As we look
to heal and move forward, we need to be hopeful in our ability to affect
change and have the necessary tools to do it effectively. Join us for a
weekend full of team building activites, engaging workshops, and a chance
to work together with your MIT peers to affect positive change in the
community.
*9. [MITWGS] Comedian Leslie Jones coming to campus*
*When:* Sunday, February 19th, 7:00PM
*Where:* Kresge Auditorium
*Lottery:* link <http://shass.mit.edu/resources/jones>
Direct from "Saturday Night Live," Leslie Jones is coming to campus!
Leslie Jones (from the 2016 Ghostbusters movie) will be coming to the MIT
campus for a comedy performance on Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7pm in
Kresge Auditorium,  The event is open to all MIT students, faculty, and
staff.  The event is free, but tickets are required.  A ticket lottery will
be open between now and Sunday, Feb. 12 at 11:59pm.  Entrants will be able
to select up to two tickets each.
Web site and ticket lottery link: http://shass.mit.edu/resources/jones
Sponsored by The De Florez Fund for Humor
*10. Nominate for Graduate Women of Excellence 2017!*
*Deadline:* February 20th
*Link:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4r47fYh76LiwaD_TlPtH0ukPOmKfQTxevWSoDIY5Mt-00Hg/closedform>
Nominate an outstanding graduate woman for Graduate Women of Excellence
2017!
We would like to announce Graduate Women of Excellence, an event to honor
graduate women who exemplify leadership and outstanding accomplishment.
Using this short form, please nominate a graduate woman who meets the
following criteria by February 20th:
1)is a leader among her peers in her example and her actions
2)is dedicated to serving the MIT community to improve the graduate student
experience
3)provides thoughtful and constructive feedback when asked for advice
4)is a catalyst for change when challenges arise
A celebration event will be held in late April for the selected honorees!
If you are interested in joining the planning team for Graduate Women of
Excellence or have any questions, please contact tahoura at mit.edu.
*11.  2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon*
*When:* Saturday, February 25th, 2017, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Media Lab | 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
Breaking The Mold 2017: part conference, part hackathon, focused on
bringing diverse teams and skillsets together to tackle the issue of
unconscious bias.
The Breaking the Mold Hackathon is focused on leveraging MIT's community of
innovation and creativity to create solutions to hack unconscious bias. The
hackathon will being together individuals from diverse backgrounds to solve
some of the world's most pressing issues.
Research suggests that diverse groups perform better, and that a culture of
meritocracy alone is not enough to generate groups that reflect the
diversity of our society. We all have biases, conscious and unconscious,
and being aware of and managing these biases can help organizations boost
diversity among leadership groups.
Visit mitbreakingthemold.com for more informaiton!
************** Outside MIT **************

*12. Gender, Politics, and Imagination: An Afternoon with Jennifer Finney
Boylan*
*When:* Thursday, February 16th, 4:15PM
*Where:* Knafel Center, 10 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA
Jennifer Finney Boylan, the inaugural Anna Quindlen Writer in Residence at
Barnard College of Columbia University, will speak about privilege,
politics, and poetics. The author of 15 books, including She’s Not There: A
Life in Two Genders, the first best-selling work by a transgender American.
Boylan is also the chair of the board of GLAAD and a New York Times
contributing writer.
After Boylan’s remarks, two Harvard College students will engage her in a
wide-ranging conversation about gender and sexuality issues on and beyond
college campuses. Student Schuyler Bailar ’19 is concentrating in
psychology and is the first openly transgender athlete to compete in any
sport on an NCAA Division 1 men’s team. Jessica Fournier ’17 is
concentrating in the studies of women, gender, and sexuality and has served
as an intern at the Office of BGLTQ Student Life and a representative for
Harvard Girl*spot, an LGBTQ women’s group.
For additional program information and to register, visit
www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2017-jennifer-finney-boylan-lecture.
The event is free and open to the public. We encourage you to share this
invitation with people you know who may be interested in attending this
event.
*13.  [Harvard] 2017 Dynamic Women in Business Conference: Women Empowered*
*When:* Saturday, February 25th, 8:00PM - 6:00PM
*Where:* Spangler Center, 117 Western Ave, Boston
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/26th-annual-dynamic-women-in-business-conference-at-harvard-business-school-tickets-29207397111?mc_cid=d865ea5933&mc_eid=3d0f146407>
Hosted by Women’s Student Association (WSA), a Student Club at HBS, this
conference is a powerful forum for women to learn from, share with, and
inspire one another. This annual conference brings together over 1,000
women -- including students, alumnae, faculty, distinguished business
leaders, and community members -- to explore the opportunities and
challenges that women encounter in today’s business world.
This year's conference theme is "WOMEN EMPOWERED" More information can be
found on our website: http://wsahbsclub.com/conference/
If you are arriving early as a prospective or recently admitted student,
you may also consider joining us on Friday, February 24th for a campus tour
and information session.
*14. CALL for ART MOTHER TONGUE Pan-Asian Arts Boston-Area Female Artists*
*When:* March - April 2017
*Where:* BHCC Art Gallery
CALL for ART MOTHER TONGUE Pan-Asian Arts Boston-Area Female Artists in all
media sought for BHCC Art Gallery Women's History Month Exhibit 2017 in all
media
The Mary L. Fifield Art Gallery, BHCC Charlestown Campus will Present:
Mother Tongue, works by ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Pan-Asian Boston-area Women Artists
during International Women’s History Month 2017.
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu