[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of September 19, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Sep 19 03:21:43 EDT 2016

*Send your ideas to: **gwamit-exec at mit.edu* <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

*Send your announcements to: **gwamit-sec at mit.edu* <gwamit-sec at mit.edu>

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.mit.edu/ <http://gwamit.mit.edu/>*

*Facebook: **http://www.facebook.com/gwamit*
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>

*Instagram: **https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>*

*Twitter: **http://twitter.com/gwamitweb* <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

September 19, 2016

*========*

*IN BRIEF*

*========*

*GW at MIT:*

1. Sign up for the GWAMIT mentoring program - deadline extended! (Sep. 20)

2. GWAMIT Professional Development Lunch Series: Intel Lunch n' Learn -
Getting the First Job (Sep. 22)

3. Come to GWAMIT General Board Meeting (Sep. 27)

4. Be a Lady Boss and Join the Organizing Team for the Fall Leadership
Conference! (Now)

*MIT:*

5. MAS Diversity Speaker Series: Roxane Gay at the Media Lab (Sep. 20)

6. [MITWGS] Vision Reading Series presents Joanna Rakoff (Sep. 22)

7. [MITSWE] Sign up to be a WiSE mentor! (Sep. 23)

8. From Goals to Actions workshop - planning an outreach program for girls
in technology (Sep. 27)

9. Become a Women's Initiative presenter! (Sep. 30)

10. [MITWGS] The Diversity Leadership Retreat (Sep. 30)

11. Apply to MIT libraries grant for women working in science / humanities
intersection (Oct. 11)

12. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series (now – Dec.)

13. MIT CONNECT: Free one-on-one Lunches

*Outside MIT:*

***********************

Dear GW at MIT Members,

This Thursday, Intel is hosting a lunch and discussion with GWAMIT as part
of our Professional Development Lunch Series.

GWAMIT has a new theme for the Fall Leadership Conference this year: Be a
Lady Boss! Email us <gwamit-exec at mit.edu> if you have any questions, and
feel free to pass this on to anyone you think would be interested.

Also, we have recently launched a new website <http://gwamit.mit.edu/> with
our events calendar <http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/events/>.
Feel free to tell us how you think of it!

The GWAMIT Board

*=====================*

*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*=====================*

************** GW at MIT **************

*1.** Sign up for the GWAMIT mentoring program - deadline extended!*

*When:* Tuesday, Sept. 20th, first-come first-served

*Info:* link <http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/mentoring-program/>

*Apply:* link <http://bit.ly/2cbpqaX>

*Contact*: gwamit-mentor at mit.edu

In the program, graduate women are mentored by faculty, alums, or
Boston-area professionals. Mentorship can be sought in areas ranging from
careers to more personal matters.

Graduate women mentees are responsible for meeting with their mentor every
month for a minimum of 1 hour and attending a beginning-of-term and
end-of-year dinner.

If you are interested in participating as a mentee this school year, please
fill out the survey here <http://bit.ly/2cbpqaX> by September 20th.

If you have a recommendation for a faculty/alum/professional mentor,
questions, or would like more info, visit our website
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/mentoring-program/> or e-mail us
<gwamit-mentor at mit.edu>.

*2. GWAMIT Professional Development Lunch Series: Intel Lunch n' Learn -
Getting the First Job*

*When:* Thursday, September 22th, 12:00pm

*Where:* MIT Building HST-119

*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/intel-lunch-n-learn-getting-the-first-job-tickets-27731184720?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventname_text>

Join a panel of women engineers from Intel as they discuss their
experiences working in industry, and dispense invaluable advice about
getting that first job out of school. Be sure to stay around for lunch and
networking after their talks!

GWAMIT's Professional Development Lunch n' Learn series is a monthly
seminar devoted to helping MIT's graduate students learn about careers
outside of academia. If you have suggestions or ideas about this series,
email us at gwamit-exec at mit.edu!

Food will be provided.

*3. Come to GWAMIT General Board Meeting*

*When:* Tuesday, September 27th, 6:00pm – 8:00pm

*Where:* MIT Building 32-124

*Register:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScCoOYvR4Zg6BS-RlonZgl8ibgx9KA47KvgB4EAxzevxF0Fnw/viewform>

Mark your calendars for the Fall 2016 GWAMIT General Board Meeting.

Meet awesome fellow graduate women, learn more about getting involved with
GWAMIT, give input on future events, and enjoy some delicious catering!

Food will be provided.

*4. Be a Lady Boss and Join the Organizing Team for the Fall Leadership
Conference!*

*When:* Recruiting Now

*Info:* link
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/fall-leadership-conference/>

*Apply: *link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NrTtnrrRrsaL2T_cho39k2MW7JHy6-fjdo-I2wbFSF4/viewform?c=0&w=1>

*Contact*: leadership2016 at mit.edu

Hey Lady Bosses! We need YOU to help plan the annual GWAMIT Fall Leadership
Conference. This year the conference will be October 24-28 and the theme is
Lady Bosses: Women in Leadership and Entrepreneurship.

We are currently recruiting Event Leads and Committee Members. Join our fun
organizing team, meet new people, and help contribute to the professional
development of the women in our community!

Please contact this year’s committee at leadership2016 at mit.edu or if you
have questions. You can find more info about our previous conference on our
website
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/fall-leadership-conference/>.

************** MIT **************

*5. MAS Diversity Speaker Series: Roxane Gay at the Media Lab *

*When:* Tuesday, September 20th, 3:00pm

*Where:* MIT Building E14-6th floor

Roxane Gay is an author and cultural critic whose writing Is unmatched and
widely revered. Her work garners international acclaim for its reflective,
no-holds-barred exploration of feminism and social criticism. With a deft
eye on modem culture, she brilliantly critiques its ebb and flow with both
wit and ferocity.

Her collection of essays, Bad Feminist, is universally considered the
quintessential exploration of modem feminism. NPR named it one of the best
books of the year and Salon declared the book “trailblazing”. Her powerful
debut novel, An Untamed State, was long listed for the Flaherty-Dunnan
First Novel Prize. Her

latest book Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body is a painstaking examination of
body image.

Roxane is a contributing op-ed writer for The New York Times, co-editor of
PANK and was the non-fiCtion editor at The Rumpus. Roxane fronts a small
army of avid fans on social media and when she finds the time, she
dominates the occasional Scrabble tournament.

*6. [MITWGS] Vision Reading Series presents Joanna Rakoff *

*When:* Thursday, September 22nd, 5:00pm

*Where:* MIT Hayden Library Reading Room

Reception & Refreshments

Joanna Rakoff’s memoir, My Salinger Year, chronicles her time working at
one of the New York’s oldest literally agencies. It won wide acclaim and is
an international bestseller. Her first novel, A Fortunate Age, was a New
York Times Editors’ Choice and won the Goldberg Prize for Jewish Fiction by
Emerging Writers. She is a freelance journalist and writes for major
newspapers and publications including the New York Times, the Los Angeles
Times, and Vogue. She lives in Cambridge, MA.

Presented by MIT Women’s and Gender Studies & PEN New England

*7. [MITSWE] Sign up to be a WiSE mentor!*

*When:* Friday, September 23rd

*Apply:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScuDtgYxE2GspufV_WnubviTNwoE2zY39lYJaQjA-vWw0iEaQ/viewform>

Interested in inspiring high school girls to learn more about STEM? Sign up
to be a WiSE mentor!

It's a great opportunity to impact a high school girl's life and help her
discover her interests in science & engineering.

*Help out with cool engineering activities at monthly sessions!

*Share your wisdom and advice with high school girls

*Free lunch at every session!!

*Sessions are on the following Saturdays (11am - 3pm): Oct 15, Nov 5, Dec 3

*We're looking for all types of mentors - freshmen are more than welcome!

The deadline for signing up is Friday, September 23, so please apply now
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScuDtgYxE2GspufV_WnubviTNwoE2zY39lYJaQjA-vWw0iEaQ/viewform>
!

*8. From Goals to Actions workshop - planning an outreach program for girls
in technology*

*When:* Choose from three: Sept 13, 4:00-8:00pm; Sept 27, 10:00am-2:00pm;
Sept 27, 3:00pm-7:00pm

*Where:* MIT Media Lab

*Contact*: Moran Tsur, morant at media.mit.edu

*Register*: link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSduSQNVDWOfeoNamS53Jqo2OR1HUlJ_Dfe8y1tLmHpK0JqoEg/viewform?c=0&w=1>

Are you interested in introducing girls and women to technology? Part of a
program that empowers them and shows the beauty of computer science? Want
to start a new one, or join others?

Our workshop deals with the process of planning a new program, or iterating
on an existing one. We will use the experience of many existing programs in
the field and research findings to talk about goals, activities and
tensions.

The workshop will help you:

- Formalize your goals and vision for the program.

- Design activities and methods to advance those goals, taking into account
your unique situation.

- Familiarize yourself with other programs in the field, through a library
of methods and activities.

- Learn about pressing issues in the field like inclusion, working with
commercial companies, and scaling up.

- Learn from each other and connect with other leaders in the area.

*9. Become a Women's Initiative presenter!*

*When:* Friday, September 30th, 11:59pm

*Contact*: wi-directors at mit.edu

*Apply*: link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdb3ad0b9y77_2-nvepd1GYAXWV2iUqjKW9rzrVJnxgBd1QXQ/viewform>

Did you know that women comprise 48% of the US workforce, but only 24% of
science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) professionals?

The MIT Women's Initiative is a student group created to address this
discrepancy, but we need YOUR help!

By being a presenter for MIT Women's Initiative you can reach young girls
across the country and inspire them towards STEM!

Each IAP, Women's Initiative funds pairs of undergraduate and graduate
women to travel to under-privileged school districts in the United States
and give presentations about STEM to middle and high school girls.
Locations vary but have included Washington, Hawaii, Miami, Alaska, and San
Francisco.

Presenters get the amazing opportunity to share their words of wisdom to
girls all around the country.  Help shape the women STEM leaders of
tomorrow!

We are currently seeking graduate and undergraduate students to join us as
presenters for January-February 2017.

If you are interested in being a presenter, you can find the application
here. The deadline to apply
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdb3ad0b9y77_2-nvepd1GYAXWV2iUqjKW9rzrVJnxgBd1QXQ/viewform>
is Friday September 30th at 11:59pm.

Feel free to check out our website, facebook page or email the current
co-directors at wi-directors at mit.edu if you have any questions or want to
learn more.

*10. [MITWGS] The Diversity Leadership Retreat*

*When:* Friday, September 30th, 3:00pm – Sunday, October 2,nd 11:00am

*Where:* CAMP BURGESS and HAYWARD SANDWICH, MA

*Register*: link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdb0qHIXcHox2EIPXXEfCNnRH3bptSyzSe6oZInz4EmfEFfCw/viewform?c=0&w=1>

The Diversity Leadership Retreat brings together students of all
backgrounds to explore and investigate the intersection of diversity and
leadership.

We leave campus Friday, September 30th at 3pm and return Sunday, October 2
at 11am. There will be ice breakers, team builders, high and low ropes,
workshops and bonding. All meals and snacks will be provided. This event
only happens every other year so don’t miss out!!!

*11. Apply to MIT libraries grant for women working in science / humanities
intersection*

*When:* Tuesday, October 11th

*Apply*: adalovelacegrant at mit.edu

A new grant program at MIT will encourage and support projects at the
intersection of science and the humanities. The Ada Lovelace Grant is
sponsored jointly by MIT’s Program in Science, Society, and Technology and
the MIT Libraries and generously funded by donors. Each year, one recipient
will receive up to $10,000 to support a project using technology to make
historical materials accessible and engaging to people outside the academy.
Given the enormous gender gap in technology in general and sciences in
particular, this grant will be reserved for women enrolled in graduate
programs at MIT.

“Ada Lovelace was one of the many women pioneers in science, technology and
engineering,” says Chris Bourg, director of the MIT Libraries. “This new
grant program honors that tradition while building on the promise of
technology to ensure more equitable access to knowledge and to historical
archives.”

Proposed projects should use technology to increase access to historical
materials including archives, manuscripts, government documents and
records, oral history recordings, and other primary source material,
broadly defined. The end result of the project should be a website or
digital exhibition of some kind, and successful applicants will be expected
to deliver a final report and give a public talk on their project upon
completion.

Applicants should submit a two-page proposal, outlining the creative vision
and practical execution process of the project. The proposal should include:

-Description of the project and its timeline

-Clear statement of the digital product and how that product will be shared
with the public, including how relevant permissions will be secured

-Budget

- CV

Applications should be sent to adalovelacegrant at mit.edu. The deadline for
the 2016–17 academic year is October 11, 2016.

*12. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series *

*When:* now - December

*Info:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars>

*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Fall
2016 Seminar Series.  Our presenters, who are experts in their fields, will
share research-based strategies, tips, and information on more than 25
topics, including changing how you respond to stress; supporting your
child’s emotional and intellectual development; understanding the U.S.
college admissions process; navigating life as a young professional; and
learning how to help an aging family member.

All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required.

We believe these seminars and workshops will help MIT community members
find better balance in their professional and personal lives. We appreciate
your help, as always, in communicating this information to the broader MIT
community.

*13. MIT CONNECT: Free one-on-one Lunches*

*Sign up:* link <http://connected.mit.edu/>

Are you interested in having lunch with fellow MIT students, faculty, staff
and alumni this semester? MIT Connect is designed to create a more
connected campus by arranging for friendly, informal, platonic lunches
between individuals from all over campus, and all walks of life. We are
providing $10 in Tech Cash towards selected lunches for participating
students!

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*

*Blog: **http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>*

*GWAMIT Calendar: **http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/events/