[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of October 17, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 17 00:23:30 EDT 2016

 Announcements - Week of October 17, 2016
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=0ed15b7567&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
October 17, 2016
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference "Lady Bosses: Women in Leadership and
Entrepreneurship" (Oct. 24-28)
2. Fill in the feedback form for our website and announcements (now)
*MIT:*
3. Path of Professorship Application open (Oct. 17)
4. [MITWGS] WGS presents McMillan-Stewart Lecturer Miriam Cooke's "The Arab
War Against Rape as a Weapon of War" (Oct. 18)
5. [MITWGS] Making Feminist Fitna - A half day conference on Islamic
Feminism (Oct 22)
6. The Art of Risk Taking Workshop with Caitie Whelan (Oct. 24)
7. Effective Communication Workshop for Women with Nancy Houfek (Oct. 26)
8. 4th Annual MIT Hacking Arts Festival Tickets Now on Sale! (Nov. 19)
9. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series (now – Dec.)
10. MIT CONNECT: Free one-on-one Lunches (now)
*Outside MIT:*
11. Women Entrepreneurship Week 2016 (Oct. 15-22)
12. [MASS AWIS] Trust: What Makes It/What Breaks It (Oct. 18)
13. Bringing the Band to Massachusetts - Spotify Campus Recruitment in
Boston (Oct. 25-27)
14. [MASS AWIS] How to Succeed as a Woman in Academia (Nov. 9)
15. RSVP for McKinsey Energy and Sustainability presentation (Nov. 21)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

It has been really a cool weekend for the past two days. We hope you all
stay warm!

Our Fall Leadership Conference "Lady Bosses: Women in Leadership and
Entrepreneurship" is approaching in the week of Oct. 24-28. Look at
the following announcements or click this link
<https://gwamitlead2016.wordpress.com/> to our website to find out more!

Also, we are still gathering feedback for our new website
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/> and new weekly announcements. Tell us
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEFKN-B4darnQICHZKW6NKdh_N6tHauDHUzzcBW999J_wlog/viewform>
how you think of these changes!

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************

*1. GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference "Lady Bosses: Women in Leadership and
Entrepreneurship!"*
*When:* Monday, October 24th - Friday, October 28th
*Where:* MIT campus
*Info:* link <https://gwamitlead2016.wordpress.com/>
*Contact*: leadership2016 at mit.edu GWAMIT is proud to announce the dates for
the 2016 Fall Leadership conference! Events will be held during the week of
October 24th,
and will be geared towards this year's conference theme of "Lady Bosses:
Women in Leadership and Entrepreneurship".
We have an amazing lineup of speakers and events scheduled, and we hope to
see you there! Keep yourself updated through our website
<https://gwamitlead2016.wordpress.com/schedule/>. Please contact this
year’s committee at leadership2016 at mit.edu or if you have questions.
*2. Fill in the feedback form for our website and announcements*
*Feedback form:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEFKN-B4darnQICHZKW6NKdh_N6tHauDHUzzcBW999J_wlog/viewform>
*Contact*: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Hi ladies, we are looking forward to hearing your responses about our new
website and weekly announcements. Fill in the form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEFKN-B4darnQICHZKW6NKdh_N6tHauDHUzzcBW999J_wlog/viewform>
tell us what you think of our recent changes. We appreciate your response!
************** MIT **************

*3. Path of Professorship Application open*
*When:* Friday, November 18th, 1:00pm - Saturday, November 19th, 6:00pm
*Deadline:* Saturday, October 17th
*Info:* link <http://odge.mit.edu/development/pop/>
Are you considering a career in academia? Are you seeking a position in the
next couple of years and concerned about navigating the application and
tenure process?
The Office of the Dean for Graduate Education is pleased to announce the
opening of this year’s application to our Path of Professorship workshop.
This workshop is designed to provide graduate and post-doctoral women with
information about academic careers in science and engineering fields and
the application process. Each year we are able to gather a wonderful group
of female professors from MIT and beyond to talk about their experiences in
academia.
This year is no different, and we are expecting an exciting and informative
weekend. Path of Professorship will run from Friday, November 18th at 1pm
through Saturday, November 19th at 6:00 pm, and cover topics ranging from
"Finding the Time to Do it All" to “What Institution is Right for You?” and
“The Tenure Process.”
More information is available at our website
<http://odge.mit.edu/development/pop/>. The application for Path of
Professorship is now open and available here. The application will close on
October 15th and selected applicants will be notified shortly thereafter.
*4. [MITWGS] WGS presents McMillan-Stewart Lecturer Miriam Cooke's "The
Arab War Against Rape as a Weapon of War"*
*When:* Tuesday, October 18th, 5:00pm
*Where:* MIT Building 3-370
The Arab War Against Rape as a Weapon of War
Miriam Cooke, Braxton Craven Professor of Arab Cultures at Duke University
Biannual McMillan-Stewart Lecture on Women in the Developing World
*5. [MITWGS] Making Feminist Fitna - A half day conference on Islamic
Feminism*
*When:* Saturday, October 22nd
*Where:* Lobdell, Student Center | MIT Building W20-208
*Apply: *link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdzIJD3xHpbMKD-T55SWTTTDgoDjTpDb7_b_73iCaxj3cGkAg/viewform>
Making Feminist Fitna: Islamic feminist disruptions is a half-day event to
bring together local Muslim feminists and allies from academia, activist
and art spaces together and share, discuss and celebrate Islamic feminist
thought. Our hope is that this will be a pilot event that can be used as a
template for similar community-building events in other cities in the US
and Canada.
Event Schedule:
12:00-12:30 : Event welcome. (Lunch provided)
12:30 - 14:00: Keynote roundtable - Intro to Islamic Feminism
14:00 - 15:30 : Panel on Intellectual and Practical Tools and Methods of
Islamic Feminism
15:30 - 17:30 Breakout Community Discussions on Women in Muslim spaces
17:30 to 19:00 : Break for dinner (not provided)
19:00 to 21:00 : Open-mic with performances from Muslim women artists
*6.The Art of Risk Taking Workshop with Caitie Whelan*
*When:*October 24th, Dinner: 5:15pm, Program 5:45pm - 7:15pm
*Where:* West Lounge, Student Center | MIT Building W20
*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScktRemmZ-_Y4udKPQ6zab0a07wCOCzfF7D-4jaV5mOZXyHJw/closedform>
**The Art of Risk Taking Workshop**
Got a case of Imposter Syndrome?
Think everyone here is smarter than you?
Do you ever feel like you shouldn't bother going after what you want
because you won't get it anyway?
**Take a chance and take this workshop**
Join writer and entrepreneur Caitie Whelan for an interactive workshop
packed with concrete tools to help you take risks; handle fear, failure,
rejection, and criticism; and build a meaningful life.
Caitie Whelan is the Founder/Noter-in-Chief of The Lightning Notes, a short
daily post to help us move the world forward. Prior to The Lightning Notes,
Caitie was a Senior Foreign Policy Advisor in Congress, co-founded a school
in India with a community of lower caste musicians, and raised pigs in
Italy. She is a graduate of Brown University - where she co-launched their
Social Innovation Initiative and is a member of the Brown Women’s
Leadership Council. She is a Truman Scholar from Maine.
*7. Effective Communication Workshop for Women with Nancy Houfek*
*When:* Wednesday, October 26th, 5:30PM - 7:30PM
*Where:* TBD
*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfMOFICI8dw2LYxfoMZ0FxIxeTT2D-S-YUyizLAMbe866fblA/viewform?c=0&w=1>
Please join us on Wednesday 10/26 at 5:30 pm for dinner and an amazing
workshop about effective communication and presence. We are very fortunate
to have Nancy Houfek to lead the workshop.  Nancy is joining us from the
west coast, and is a stage director, award-winning actor, and nationally
recognized theater educator. She presents workshops combining theater,
negotiation and leadership techniques for corporations, think tanks,
universities, and professional organizations throughout the U.S., Canada,
and Europe.  While at Harvard, where she was Head of Voice & Speech for the
Tony Award winning American Repertory Theater from 1997- 2014, Nancy also
taught in programs at the Kennedy School of Government, the Harvard School
of Public Health, and the Medical School. Nancy holds a B.A. from Stanford
University and an M.F.A. from San Francisco's American Conservatory
Theater, where she remained as an actor, director and coach for nearly a
decade. Hosted by the ODGE Graduate Community Fellows for Women's Programs.
Please contact tahoura at mit.edu with any questions.
*8. 4th Annual MIT Hacking Arts Festival Tickets Now on Sale*
*When:* November 19th
*Where:* MIT Media Lab 6th Floor & MIT LIST Visual Arts Center
*Info: *link <http://hackingarts.com/#ha2016>
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-hacking-arts-conference-tickets-28324946678>
Hacking Arts ignites entrepreneurship and innovation within the creative
arts. We bring together creative technologists, artists, innovators and
hackers at MIT to explore the future of the arts at our annual Conference,
Tech Expo and Hackathon.
Hacking Arts 2016 will mark the fourth annual festival held at the MIT
Media Lab, fostering community and celebrating innovation in the creative
industries: Design, Fashion, Film/Video, Gaming, Music, Performing Arts,
Virtual/Augmented Reality and Visual Arts.
Hacking Arts  is organized by the MIT Sloan School of Management
Entertainment, Media & Sports Club in partnership with MIT's Center for
Art, Science, and Technology and the Martin Trust Center for MIT
Entrepreneurship.
If you have a passion for art and technology, if painting robots and
dancing lights and augmented reality theatre pieces get you pumped - you
need to be a part of this conversation. Early bird tickets are on sale now
for our conference igniting innovation in the creative arts. It will be a
day to remember of panels, performances, start-up presentations and a tech
expo with 30+ interactive prototypes to get hands on with motion capture,
Virtual and Augmented reality, wearables and more.
*9. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series *
*When:* now - December
*Info: *link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars>
*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>
We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Fall
2016 Seminar Series. Our presenters, who are experts in their fields, will
share research-based strategies, tips, and information on more than 25
topics, including changing how you respond to stress; supporting your
child’s emotional and intellectual development; understanding the U.S.
college admissions process; navigating life as a young professional; and
learning how to help an aging family member.
All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required.
We believe these seminars and workshops will help MIT community members
find better balance in their professional and personal lives. We appreciate
your help, as always, in communicating this information to the broader MIT
community.
*10. MIT CONNECT: Free one-on-one Lunches *
*Sign up:* link <http://connected.mit.edu/>
Are you interested in having lunch with fellow MIT students, faculty, staff
and alumni this semester? MIT Connect is designed to create a more
connected campus by arranging for friendly, informal, platonic lunches
between individuals from all over campus, and all walks of life. We are
providing $10 in Tech Cash towards selected lunches for participating
students!
************** Outside MIT **************

*11. Women Entrepreneurship Week 2016 *
*When:* October 15th - October 22nd
*Where:*Montclair State, University Hall Conference Center
*Info:* link
<https://www.montclair.edu/entrepreneur/womens-entrepreneurship-week/>
Women Entrepreneurship Week is organized by the Feliciano Center for
Entrepreneurship at Montclair State University. Opened in 2013, the
Feliciano Center for Entrepreneurship has a special mission to support and
nurture women entrepreneurs. The majority of students participating in the
Center's annual pitch contest were women, and 80 percent of its advisory
board members are women.
*Six continents to hold Women Entrepreneurship Week events in 2016*
Universities and nonprofits on every continent except Antartica have
committed to holding Women Entrepreneurship Week events in 2016, making the
third annual WEW celebration an international movement. Entities in 11
countries plan to hold a WEW event sometime during the week of Oct. 15-22,
2016: Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, Greece, India, Nigeria, Spain,
Thailand, United States and Vietnam. WEW events are also being held in
several states (New York, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Texas and Florida) as well as
at 16 New Jersey universities and a handful of nonprofits in the Garden
State. See the full list. Read more about why overseas organizations want
to get involved with WEW.
*Two free, public events at Montclair State for WEW*
Montclair State will celebrate Women Entrepreneurship Week with events Oct.
18 and 19 that are free and open to the public. On the evening of Oct. 18,
an all-star panel of women will discuss power and leadership at "Power
Play: What Makes Women Great Leaders." During the day on Oct. 19, our WEW
Conference will be packed with content for women entrepreneurs and
corporate execs. The keynote speaker, Jen Slaw, will juggle while
explaining why women are master jugglers in their professional and personal
lives. Learn more about these events.
*Want to be part of 2016 Women Entrepreneurship Week?*
All you have to do is hold an event related to women entrepreneurs at your
college/university or nonprofit during Oct. 15-22, 2016. There is no
cost/fee to be involved. Each university or nonprofit has the flexibility
to design its own event. A program can be a big public event or it can be a
small gathering of students listening to a woman entrepreneur. The only
requirements are that the event focus on women entrepreneurs, and be held
sometime during Oct. 15-22, 2016. If your university or nonprofit schedules
a WEW event, please contact sharon.waters at montclair.edu so your event can
be added to this website.
*12. [MASS AWIS] Trust: What Makes It/What Breaks It *
*When:* Tuesday, October 18th, 5:30pm – 9:00pm
*Where:* Broad Institute, 415 Main St, Cambridge, MA 02142
*Register:* link
<https://my.hbanet.org/MyHBA/EventDetails.aspx?MeetingID=D6F14C61-237C-E611-998D-0050569C00A7>
Trust is perhaps the most important element of a successful workplace and
is crucial at all levels of an organization. A high-trust workplace
cultivates a supportive and safe work environment, fostering individual
career success, high-performing teams, and productive organizations.
Businesses that have a high trust environment are more profitable; low
trust costs businesses money and time. How do we build trust? What erodes
trust? What does it mean to be trustworthy? These questions will be the
focus for the presentation and panel discussion. During a presentation by
Susan Morris, a coach specializing in working with women professionals in
STEM, participants will review a definition of trust that is a combination
of character and competence, discover behaviors that build or erode trust,
and learn strategies to repair distrustful relationships. The panelists
will share stories about how important trust is to their relationships in
their roles as team leaders, managers, or executives. STEM professionals at
all levels are invited to learn strategies to build, maintain, and repair
trust to enhance collaboration and drive productivity in the workplace.
*Agenda:*
5:30pm – 6:15pm Registration & Networking
6:15pm – 6:30pm Introduction
6:30pm – 7:20pm Workshop
7:20pm – 8:00pm Panel Discussion, Q&A and Conclusion
8:00pm – 9:00pm Networking
*Registration fee:*
MASS AWIS or HBA members $35 · Pfizer, Broad, or AMAG Pharma employees $35
· Non-members $65
*Speaker & Moderator (Bio Below):*
Susan Morris: Consultant, business coach, instructional designer, workshop
facilitator and international speaker targeting pharmaceutical R&D
scientists and technical experts.
*Panelists (Bios Below):*
Angela Bassa: Director, EnerNOC
Payal Agrawal Divakaran: Principal, .406 Ventures
Sneha Patel: Director, Compensation/HR, Ironwood Pharmaceuticals
Rob Sarisky: Chief Business Officer, FORMA Therapeutics
*13. Bringing the Band to Massachusetts - Spotify Campus Recruitment in
Boston*
*When:* Tuesday, October 25th - Thursday, October 27th
*Where:* Boston various
*Apply:* link <https://spotify.recsolu.com/external/jobs>
Hey there!  Yes, you. Are you looking for an experience that will change
your life? If so, keep reading. If not, put those headphones back in and
jam out to an awesome Spotify playlist, and we’ll see you later.
You kept reading - Awesome! To be a part of changing the way the world
listens to music, come join the band as an intern. We just posted our
internships in on our website. Check them out here
<https://spotify.recsolu.com/external/jobs>!
 We're bringing the Band to Boston for some good times & good vibes - and
we want to see you there!
At these events, you will have an opportunity to meet our band members
(employees), get a chance to see what #LifeAtSpotify is like and score some
free food. ​
*​Spotify @ MIT – Tech Talk + Mixer*
Tuesday, October 25th at 6pm, EST
MIT Building 34 – Room 101
*​Boston Student Meet-Up @ Spotify Boston Office* (Open to all Boston and
surrounding area colleges & universities)
Wednesday, October 26th at 6 PM, EST
Spotify Boston – 48 Grove St Somerville, MA 02144
*​Women @ Spotify Dinner + Networking*
Thursday, October 27 at 6 PM, EST
Post 390 406 Stuart St, Boston, MA 02116
*14. [MASS AWIS] How to Succeed as a Woman in Academia *
*When:* Wednesday, November 9th, 5:00pm – 8:00pm
*Where:* Boston Children's Hospital Auditorium, 1 Autumn St, Boston, MA
02215
*Register:* link <http://mass-awis.org/woman-academia_nov2016/>
It is increasingly difficult to obtain a faculty position, and women are
still severely under-represented in STEM professorships. Come hear insight
and advice from a panel of female professors who are successfully
navigating the world of academics.
*15. RSVP for McKinsey Energy and Sustainability presentatio*
*When:* Monday, November 21st, 11:45AM - 12:45PM
*Where:* MIT Building E62-276
*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTLrGhwLlrx3wx3eTYcnTX6pIS6iziw4RTLiYNL9uP0dWmVQ/viewform?c=0&w=1>
This event is open to current MIT students, faculty, and staff. Please use
your @mit.edu or @sloan.mit.edu address to sign up.
Please join McKinsey & Company’s Senior Partner Scott Nyquist for a
discussion on climate change, recent progress in policy and technology, and
implications for energy companies.
Scott Nyquist is a Senior Partner in the Houston Office and a leader in the
McKinsey Sustainability and Resource Productivity Network as well as a
leader in the McKinsey's Energy Practice. Scott is also on the McKinsey
Global Institute Council, which advises on MGI’s research on global
economic, business, and technology trends.
McKinsey’s Sustainability and Resource Productivity (SRP) network helps the
world’s leading institutions make sustainability and resource productivity
a core driver of economic performance. SRP’s mission is to be the best
place to work for people with ambition to make a positive and lasting
impact on both clients and environment.
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu