[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of October 10, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 10 02:58:36 EDT 2016

 Announcements - Week of October 10, 2016
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=3522d91399&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
October 10, 2016
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Fall Leadership Conference: Be a Lady Boss! (Octb 24-28)
2. Fill in the feedback form for our website and announcements (now)
*MIT:*
3. Apply to MIT libraries grant for women working in science / humanities
intersection (Oct. 11)
4. Path of Professorship Application open (Oct. 15)
5. [MITWGS] WGS presents McMillan-Stewart Lecturer Miriam Cooke's "The Arab
War Against Rape as a Weapon of War" (Oct. 18)
6. [MITWGS] Making Feminist Fitna - A half day conference on Islamic
Feminism (Oct 22)
7. The Art of Risk Taking Workshop with Caitie Whelan (Oct. 24)
8. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series (now – Dec.)
9. MIT CONNECT: Free one-on-one Lunches (now)
*Outside MIT:*
10. [MASS AWIS] Trust: What Makes It/What Breaks It (Oct. 18)
11. Know Your Chocolate and Know Its Science (Nov. 5)
12. [MASS AWIS] How to Succeed as a Woman in Academia (Nov. 9)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

I hope you are all enjoying the long weekend!

Mark your calendars for our Fall Leadership Conference "Be a Lady Boss!"
which is coming in the week of Oct. 24-28. Details will come soon.
Meanwhile, feel free to use our website
<https://gwamitlead2016.wordpress.com/schedule/> to find out more!

Finally, as you have noticed, we have recently adopted a new version for
our weekly announcements as well as our new website <http://gwamit.mit.edu/>.
Tell us
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEFKN-B4darnQICHZKW6NKdh_N6tHauDHUzzcBW999J_wlog/viewform>
how you think of these changes!

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************

*1. Fall Leadership Conference: Be a Lady Boss!*
*When:* Monday, October 24th - Friday, October 28th
*Where:* MIT campus
*Info:* link <https://gwamitlead2016.wordpress.com/schedule/>
*Contact*: leadership2016 at mit.edu
GWAMIT is proud to announce the dates for the 2016 Fall Leadership
conference! Events will be held during the week of October 24th, and will
be geared towards this year's conference theme of "Lady Bosses: Women in
Leadership and Entrepreneurship".
We have an amazing lineup of speakers and events scheduled, and we hope to
see you there! Keep yourself updated through our website
<https://gwamitlead2016.wordpress.com/schedule/>. Also, you could use this
QR code to link to our website.
Please contact this year’s committee at leadership2016 at mit.edu or if you
have questions. You can find more info about our previous conference on our
website
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/fall-leadership-conference/>.
*2. Fill in the feedback form for our website and announcements*
*Feedback form:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEFKN-B4darnQICHZKW6NKdh_N6tHauDHUzzcBW999J_wlog/viewform>
*Contact*: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Hi ladies, we are looking forward to hearing your responses about our new
website and weekly announcements. Fill in the form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEFKN-B4darnQICHZKW6NKdh_N6tHauDHUzzcBW999J_wlog/viewform>
tell us what you think of our recent changes. We appreciate your response!

************** MIT **************

*3. Apply to MIT libraries grant for women working in science / humanities
intersection *
*When:* Tuesday, October 11th
*Apply:* adalovelacegrant at mit.edu
A new grant program at MIT will encourage and support projects at the
intersection of science and the humanities. The Ada Lovelace Grant is
sponsored jointly by MIT’s Program in Science, Society, and Technology and
the MIT Libraries and generously funded by donors. Each year, one recipient
will receive up to $10,000 to support a project using technology to make
historical materials accessible and engaging to people outside the academy.
Given the enormous gender gap in technology in general and sciences in
particular, this grant will be reserved for women enrolled in graduate
programs at MIT.
“Ada Lovelace was one of the many women pioneers in science, technology and
engineering,” says Chris Bourg, director of the MIT Libraries. “This new
grant program honors that tradition while building on the promise of
technology to ensure more equitable access to knowledge and to historical
archives.”
Proposed projects should use technology to increase access to historical
materials including archives, manuscripts, government documents and
records, oral history recordings, and other primary source material,
broadly defined. The end result of the project should be a website or
digital exhibition of some kind, and successful applicants will be expected
to deliver a final report and give a public talk on their project upon
completion.
Applicants should submit a two-page proposal, outlining the creative vision
and practical execution process of the project. The proposal should include:
-Description of the project and its timeline
-Clear statement of the digital product and how that product will be shared
with the public, including how relevant permissions will be secured
-Budget
- CV
Applications should be sent to adalovelacegrant at mit.edu. The deadline for
the 2016–17 academic year is October 11, 2016.
*4. Path of Professorship Application open*
*When:* Friday, November 18th, 1:00pm - Saturday, November 19th, 6:00pm
*Deadline:* Saturday, October 15th
*Info:* link <http://odge.mit.edu/development/pop/>
Are you considering a career in academia? Are you seeking a position in the
next couple of years and concerned about navigating the application and
tenure process?
The Office of the Dean for Graduate Education is pleased to announce the
opening of this year’s application to our Path of Professorship workshop.
This workshop is designed to provide graduate and post-doctoral women with
information about academic careers in science and engineering fields and
the application process. Each year we are able to gather a wonderful group
of female professors from MIT and beyond to talk about their experiences in
academia.
This year is no different, and we are expecting an exciting and informative
weekend. Path of Professorship will run from Friday, November 18th at 1pm
through Saturday, November 19th at 6:00 pm, and cover topics ranging from
"Finding the Time to Do it All" to “What Institution is Right for You?” and
“The Tenure Process.”
More information is available at our website
<http://odge.mit.edu/development/pop/>. The application for Path of
Professorship is now open and available here. The application will close on
October 15th and selected applicants will be notified shortly thereafter.
*5. [MITWGS] WGS presents McMillan-Stewart Lecturer Miriam Cooke's "The
Arab War Against Rape as a Weapon of War"*
*When:* Tuesday, October 18th, 5:00pm
*Where:* MIT Building 3-370
The Arab War Against Rape as a Weapon of War
Miriam Cooke, Braxton Craven Professor of Arab Cultures at Duke University
Biannual McMillan-Stewart Lecture on Women in the Developing World
*6. [MITWGS] Making Feminist Fitna - A half day conference on Islamic
Feminism*
*When:* Saturday, October 22nd
*Where:* Lobdell, Student Center | MIT Building W20-208
*Apply: *link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdzIJD3xHpbMKD-T55SWTTTDgoDjTpDb7_b_73iCaxj3cGkAg/viewform>
Making Feminist Fitna: Islamic feminist disruptions is a half-day event to
bring together local Muslim feminists and allies from academia, activist
and art spaces together and share, discuss and celebrate Islamic feminist
thought. Our hope is that this will be a pilot event that can be used as a
template for similar community-building events in other cities in the US
and Canada.
Event Schedule:
12:00-12:30 : Event welcome. (Lunch provided)
12:30 - 14:00: Keynote roundtable - Intro to Islamic Feminism
14:00 - 15:30 : Panel on Intellectual and Practical Tools and Methods of
Islamic Feminism
15:30 - 17:30 Breakout Community Discussions on Women in Muslim spaces
17:30 to 19:00 : Break for dinner (not provided)
19:00 to 21:00 : Open-mic with performances from Muslim women artists
*7.The Art of Risk Taking Workshop with Caitie Whelan*
*When:*October 24th, Dinner: 5:15pm, Program 5:45pm - 7:15pm
*Where:* West Lounge, Student Center | MIT Building W20
*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScktRemmZ-_Y4udKPQ6zab0a07wCOCzfF7D-4jaV5mOZXyHJw/closedform>
**The Art of Risk Taking Workshop**
Got a case of Imposter Syndrome?
Think everyone here is smarter than you?
Do you ever feel like you shouldn't bother going after what you want
because you won't get it anyway?
**Take a chance and take this workshop**
Join writer and entrepreneur Caitie Whelan for an interactive workshop
packed with concrete tools to help you take risks; handle fear, failure,
rejection, and criticism; and build a meaningful life.
Caitie Whelan is the Founder/Noter-in-Chief of The Lightning Notes, a short
daily post to help us move the world forward. Prior to The Lightning Notes,
Caitie was a Senior Foreign Policy Advisor in Congress, co-founded a school
in India with a community of lower caste musicians, and raised pigs in
Italy. She is a graduate of Brown University - where she co-launched their
Social Innovation Initiative and is a member of the Brown Women’s
Leadership Council. She is a Truman Scholar from Maine.
*8. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series *
*When:* now - December
*Info: *link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars>
*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>
We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Fall
2016 Seminar Series. Our presenters, who are experts in their fields, will
share research-based strategies, tips, and information on more than 25
topics, including changing how you respond to stress; supporting your
child’s emotional and intellectual development; understanding the U.S.
college admissions process; navigating life as a young professional; and
learning how to help an aging family member.
All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required.
We believe these seminars and workshops will help MIT community members
find better balance in their professional and personal lives. We appreciate
your help, as always, in communicating this information to the broader MIT
community.
*9. MIT CONNECT: Free one-on-one Lunches *
*Sign up:* link <http://connected.mit.edu/>
Are you interested in having lunch with fellow MIT students, faculty, staff
and alumni this semester? MIT Connect is designed to create a more
connected campus by arranging for friendly, informal, platonic lunches
between individuals from all over campus, and all walks of life. We are
providing $10 in Tech Cash towards selected lunches for participating
students!
************** Outside MIT **************

*10. [MASS AWIS] Trust: What Makes It/What Breaks It *
*When:* Tuesday, October 18th, 5:30pm – 9:00pm
*Where:* Broad Institute, 415 Main St, Cambridge, MA 02142
*Register:* link
<https://my.hbanet.org/MyHBA/EventDetails.aspx?MeetingID=D6F14C61-237C-E611-998D-0050569C00A7>
Trust is perhaps the most important element of a successful workplace and
is crucial at all levels of an organization. A high-trust workplace
cultivates a supportive and safe work environment, fostering individual
career success, high-performing teams, and productive organizations.
Businesses that have a high trust environment are more profitable; low
trust costs businesses money and time. How do we build trust? What erodes
trust? What does it mean to be trustworthy? These questions will be the
focus for the presentation and panel discussion. During a presentation by
Susan Morris, a coach specializing in working with women professionals in
STEM, participants will review a definition of trust that is a combination
of character and competence, discover behaviors that build or erode trust,
and learn strategies to repair distrustful relationships. The panelists
will share stories about how important trust is to their relationships in
their roles as team leaders, managers, or executives. STEM professionals at
all levels are invited to learn strategies to build, maintain, and repair
trust to enhance collaboration and drive productivity in the workplace.
*Agenda:*
5:30pm – 6:15pm Registration & Networking
6:15pm – 6:30pm Introduction
6:30pm – 7:20pm Workshop
7:20pm – 8:00pm Panel Discussion, Q&A and Conclusion
8:00pm – 9:00pm Networking
*Registration fee:*
MASS AWIS or HBA members $35 · Pfizer, Broad, or AMAG Pharma employees $35
· Non-members $65
*Speaker & Moderator (Bio Below):*
Susan Morris: Consultant, business coach, instructional designer, workshop
facilitator and international speaker targeting pharmaceutical R&D
scientists and technical experts.
*Panelists (Bios Below):*
Angela Bassa: Director, EnerNOC
Payal Agrawal Divakaran: Principal, .406 Ventures
Sneha Patel: Director, Compensation/HR, Ironwood Pharmaceuticals
Rob Sarisky: Chief Business Officer, FORMA Therapeutics
*11. Know Your Chocolate and Know Its Science *
*When:* Saturday, November 5th
*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSems2caLcJCoYb1mMACC2R62R4gmS5JNNGfh6ivpDE-Xe-WWw/viewform>
Indulge your passion for chocolate at the HGWISE Know Your Chocolate and
Know Its Science event. Chocolate lovers from HGWISE team up with the MIT
Chocolate Lab and Somerville Chocolates for an afternoon of truffle making,
chocolate tasting, and lots of chocolate science!
*12. [MASS AWIS] How to Succeed as a Woman in Academia *
*When:* Wednesday, November 9th, 5:00pm – 8:00pm
*Where:* : Boston Children's Hospital Auditorium, 1 Autumn St, Boston, MA
02215
*Register:* link <http://mass-awis.org/woman-academia_nov2016/>
It is increasingly difficult to obtain a faculty position, and women are
still severely under-represented in STEM professorships. Come hear insight
and advice from a panel of female professors who are successfully
navigating the world of academics.
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu