[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of May 16, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon May 16 01:41:02 EDT 2016

*Send your ideas to: **gwamit-exec at mit.edu* <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

*Send your announcements to: **gwamit-sec at mit.edu* <gwamit-sec at mit.edu>

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

May 16, 2016

*========*

*IN BRIEF*

*========*

*GW at MIT:*

1. Join the GWAMIT Mentoring Program 2016-2017 Committee!

2. Submit Your Questions to Dear Kate!

*MIT:*

3. Cheneyroom May Study Breaks (May. 16)

4. [Postdoctoral Associate] Yoga Class Series (May. 18 – Jun. 29)

5. MIT Women’s League Annual Meeting (May. 19)

6. MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series (now - May)

7. Register for MIT ART Classes (Jun.-Aug.)

*Outside MIT:*

8. de la Femme's "Boost Your Professional Presence: The Art of Being
Confident" (May. 17)

9. Naturejobs Career Expo (May. 18)

10. [MASS AWIS] How to Make a Powerful First Impression (Jun. 8)

***********************

Dear GW at MIT Members,

We hope everyone is doing great during the coming exam week!

Meanwhile, we’d also like to remind you that the GWAMIT Mentoring Program
is still recruiting for the 2016-2017 committee members. Please apply and
join us if you are interested!

The GWAMIT Board

*=====================*

*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*=====================*

************** GW at MIT **************

*1.** Join the GWAMIT Mentoring Program 2016-2017 Committee!*

*When:* Recruiting Now

*Info:* link <https://gwamit.org/mentoring-program/>

*Contact:* gwamit-mentor at mit.edu

Interested in helping women graduate students connect with faculty and
alumni mentors? Excited about applying your technical and organizing skills
to creative projects? Come and join us at the Mentoring Program Committee!

We are currently recruiting for the following positions:

- Mentor Recruitment Lead

- Events Chair

- Publicity Chair (Dear Kate and website)

For more information on the GWAMIT Mentoring program, please visit our
website <https://gwamit.org/mentoring-program/>. Contact
gwamit-mentor at mit.edu to apply.

*2. Submit Your Questions to Dear Kate!*

*Dear Kate blog post: *link
<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/2016/05/dear-kate-may-2016.html>

*Submit a question for next month's column: *link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1if7tQB34Cy4ER4uZyRa-Ed-AQm3wPyz8dFiDJA1FjzI/viewform>

The Dear Kate post for April is up! This month, we talk about what sort of
qualities make someone want to collaborate with you professionally. We hear
from a questioner who is worried about others not wanting to collaborate
with her, and hear tips from our mentors about how to become a good
collaborator even if it doesn't come to you naturally.

Do you have a question to submit to Dear Kate? Use this link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1if7tQB34Cy4ER4uZyRa-Ed-AQm3wPyz8dFiDJA1FjzI/viewform>
to submit anonymously to the Dear Kate column, and our mentors will pen
replies to be posted on the blog.

************** MIT **************

*3. **Cheneyroom May Study Breaks*

*When:* Monday, May 16th, 4:00pm – 5pm

*Where:* Margaret Cheney Room, MIT Building 3-310

This is a reminder that there are two study breaks taking place in the
Margaret Cheney Room this month.

The second study break will take place Monday, May 16 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
in the Cheney room. Again, light desserts, coffee, and tea will be provided.

Feel free to stop by and take a break from this busy time of year!

*4. **[Postdoctoral Associate] Yoga Class Series *

*When:* Wednesdays, May 18th - June 29th, 7:30pm

*Where:* MIT Building 37 or building 16

*Contact*: sarahsaf at mit.edu

Postdoctoral Associate is conducting yoga class series regularly and the
next one is starting on April 27. This will be taking place on Wednesdays,
at 7:30 pm on campus (building 37 or building 16). A rate for postdocs and
their MIT Spouses & Partners is offered for a 10 class session for $80.
This is a gentle all-level relaxing yoga class and no prior experience is
required.

The classes will take place on the following dates:

May 18, May 25, June 1, June 8, June 15, June 22, June 29

If you are interested, please reserve your spots by contacting
sarahsaf at mit.edu or the instructor Hadassah Segal directly.

*5. MIT Women’s League Annual Meeting*

*When:* Thursday, May 19th, 12:00pm – 1:30pm

*Where:* MIT Building 10-340

*RSVP*: Contact the League office at 617.253.3656 or wleague at mit.edu

The Women's League holds its annual meeting in May to report on its
activities and business over the past academic year to members and to
introduce returning Board Officers and present new officers for the
election slate.

It's also an occasion to hear from a guest speaker. This year Melissa
Nobles, the Kenan Sahin Dean of the School of Humanities, Arts and Social
Sciences, and Professor of Political Science will be our guest speaker.

To reserve your place at the annual meeting and lunch, contact the League
office at 617.253.3656 or wleague at mit.edu.

The cost of the luncheon is $15.00. Seating is limited.

*6. **MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series*

*When:* now - May

*Info:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Spring
2016 Seminar Series. Our presenters, who are experts in their fields, will
share research-based strategies, tips, and information on more than 25
topics, including changing how you respond to stress; supporting your
child’s emotional and intellectual development; understanding the U.S.
college admissions process; navigating life as a young professional; and
learning how to help an aging family member.

All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required.

We believe these seminars and workshops will help MIT community members
find better balance in their professional and personal lives, and
appreciate your help in communicating this information to the broader MIT
community.

*7. **Register for MIT ART Classes *

*Tuesday Intro To Drawing *

*When:* Tuesdays, June 14th - August 2nd, 5:30pm - 8:00pm

*Register:* link <http://arts.mit.edu/saa-classes/tuesday-intro-drawing/>

This summer we will hold as many classes outside as the weather allows.
Drawing outdoors will teach students to observe and capture the life and
motion of the MIT campus and the city.

Each students’ skill set will grow through a variety of drawing techniques
and exercises. An assortment of materials will be used including pencil
(graphite), charcoal, oil pastel, conte crayon, ink and a collection of
papers. Students will be encouraged to keep a small sketchbook outside of
class, to support the skills learned during studio time.

*Friday Beginning Wheelthrowing*

*When:* Fridays, June 17th - August 5th, 6:30pm - 9:00pm

*Register:* link
<http://arts.mit.edu/saa-classes/friday-beginning-wheelthrowing/>

This is the start of your ceramic journey! Learn the basics of wheel
throwing and hand-building while getting introduced/acclimated to our
community studio. Through a variety of weekly demonstrations you will see
your ceramic foundation strengthen before your eyes.

************** Outside MIT **************

*8.* *de la Femme's "Boost Your Professional Presence: The Art of Being
Confident"*

*When:* Tuesday, May 17th, 6:00pm

*Where:* Monadnock Room, Broad Institute, 415 Main Street, Cambridge, MA

*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/de-la-femmes-boost-your-professional-presence-the-art-of-being-confident-now-held-in-the-monadnock-registration-24820732479>

Successful women recognize their strengths and communicate with confidence.
Believing in yourself, and knowing how to present yourself and your ideas
confidently is key to feeling empowered in your professional and personal
life. In this interactive workshop, you will learn how to boost your
professional presence and confidence for networking, interviewing, and
presenting your ideas. You will get a clearer picture of your values and
strengths, and learn how to tap into your presence and confidence using
both your thoughts and body. By the end of the evening, you will not only
feel more empowered, but also have concrete tools to use in everyday life.

Deb Elbaum, MD, CPCC, ACC, is a certified career and life coach, author,
and speaker. She works with professionals in career transition to help them
get clear about their choices, build their confidence, trust their
decisions, and create intentional change. She is the author of "Making
Moments Count," a chapter in the recently publishedCoaching for Powerful
Change by Diane Hayden. Deb speaks to organizations in the greater Boston
area, and is a workshop facilitator for the Institute for Career
Transitions at MIT. She received her bachelor's degree from Harvard
University and her MD degree from the University of Pennsylvania. Her
coaching certifications are from the Coaches Training Institute and the
International Coach Federation.

Dinner and drinks will be provided.

Registration is required, sign-in upon arrival.

*9. Naturejobs Career Expo *

*When:* Wednesday, May 18th

*Where:* Back Bay Events Center, Boston

*Contact: *boston.careerexpo at nature.com

*Register:* link
<http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/career-expo/event/naturejobs-career-expo-boston/>

The Naturejobs Career Expo 2016, hosted for the third time in Boston,
Massachusetts, offers talented researchers an excellent opportunity to meet
a diverse selection of national and international employers from academic
institutions and scientific industries, such as pharmaceutical
organizations, digital technology companies, science publishing and more.

This year’s free one day event will be held on May 18, 2016 and offers you
a chance to:

--Attend exclusive conferences and workshops

--Meet employers face-to-face

--Networking with leading scientific institutions of your interest

--Benefit from free one-to-one resume checking

--Learn how to enhance your employability

--Maximize your career prospects.

More information and registration here
<http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/career-expo/event/naturejobs-career-expo-boston/>

*10. **How to Make a Powerful First Impression*

*When:* Wednesday, June 8th, 5:30pm – 8:30pm

*Where:* The Harvard MCB Auditorium, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA

*Register:* link
<http://mass-awis.org/how-to-make-a-powerful-first-impression-wednesday-june-8th/>

How you present yourself to prospective employers or clients makes a
powerful statement about who you are and what you have to offer. In this
session, Doreen will reveal valuable information about what your public
image communicates about you, and tips to up-level your style and
confidence opening more doors and career opportunities.

Speaker: Doreen Dove is an award-winning image consultant, speaker and
author of “Confidence is Always in Style.”She coaches women to use style to
take strategic control of their image, personal and professional brand, and
fully engage in the possibilities of their future.

*Agenda:*

5:30 - 6:00 pm: Registration & Networking

6:00 - 7:00 pm: Workshop & Makeover Prize Awarded!

7:00 - 8:00 pm: Refreshments & Networking

*To Register:*

Early bird special: MASS AWIS members $10 · Non-members $15

Register after May 23rd for $12 or $18, respectively!

****************************

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

*Blog: **http://gwamit.blogspot.com* <http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>

*Twitter: **http://twitter.com/gwamitweb* <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

*Facebook: **http://www.facebook.com/gwamit*