[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of July 18, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jul 18 10:43:31 EDT 2016

*Send your ideas to: **gwamit-exec at mit.edu* <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

*Send your announcements to: **gwamit-sec at mit.edu* <gwamit-sec at mit.edu>

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

July 18, 2016

*========*

*IN BRIEF*

*========*

*GW at MIT:*

1. Join us for a Beach Day during the Revere Beach Sand Sculpture Festival
(Jul. 23)

2. Apply to Organize the Fall 2016 Leadership Conference (Now!)

3. Join the GWAMIT Mentoring Program 2016-2017 Committee (Now!)

*MIT:*

4. Looking for Female Participants for Experiment (now)

*Outside MIT:*

5. Free Fun Fridays in Boston (now – Aug. 26)

6. Zumba on the Esplanade (now – Sep. 13)

7. [MASS AWIS] Get on Board for the Scholarship Fund: Happy Hour! (Jul. 19)

8. [MASS AWIS] Mentoring Circles (Jul. 22)

9. Hiring in Tech - What Companies are REALLY Looking For (Jul. 28)

10. ClearView Healthcare Partners - Consultant Position Openings (Aug. 7)

11. ART+SCIENCE Opportunity (Aug. 15)

12. Boston Public Library Concerts in the Courtyard (now – Aug.)

13. Kendall Square Concert Series in partnership with Boston Properties
(now – Sep.)

***********************

Dear GW at MIT Members,

GWAMIT is organizing a beach day during the Revere Beach Sand Sculpture
Festival on Saturday, July 23rd. Reserve with us before it’s too late!

GWAMIT is recruiting now for the Mentorship Program and Fall Leadership
Conference! Check out the descriptions below for more info, and click at
link to APPLY!

The GWAMIT Board

*=====================*

*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*=====================*

************** GW at MIT **************

*1.** Join us for a Beach Day during the Revere Beach Sand Sculpture
Festival*

*When:* Saturday, July 23rd, 11:00am

*Where:* Revere Beach (meet at Kendall T stop by MIT Medical)

*RSVP*: link <https://signup.mit.edu:444/signup.php?id=GWAMIT_beach_trip>

Join us for a beach day during the Revere Beach Sand Sculpture Festival! We
meet at 11 am on Saturday, July 23rd at Kendall T stop by MIT Medical.
Please bring $ or your T-Pass for the subway.

GWAMIT will bring snacks. There will also be food trucks if you want to buy
lunch.

*2. Apply to Organize the Fall 2016 Leadership Conference*

*When:* Recruiting Now

*Apply: *link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NrTtnrrRrsaL2T_cho39k2MW7JHy6-fjdo-I2wbFSF4/viewform?c=0&w=1>

*Contact*: gwamit-exec <sarahsaf at mit.edu>@mit.edu

GWAMIT is currently recruiting conference co-chairs, event leads, and
committee members for the annual Fall Leadership Conference to be held in
October 2016. This is a great opportunity to be a part of the 2016
organizing team!

There are many different ways you can get involved depending on your
interests and schedule. Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at
gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you have questions. We also encourage you to read
more about previous leaders and events on our website
<https://gwamitlead2015.wordpress.com/>.

*Info:* link <https://gwamit.org/mentoring-program/>

*Contact:* gwamit-mentor at mit.edu

Interested in helping women graduate students connect with faculty and
alumni mentors? Excited about applying your technical and organizing skills
to creative projects? Come and join us at the Mentoring Program Committee!

We are currently recruiting for the following positions:

- Mentor Recruitment Lead

- Events Chair

For more information on the GWAMIT Mentoring program, please visit our
website <https://gwamit.org/mentoring-program/>. Contact
gwamit-mentor at mit.edu to apply.

************** MIT **************

*4. Looking for Female Participants for Experiment*

*When:* now

*Where:* MIT Building 46 | 43 Vassar St, Cambridge, MA 02139

*Contact*: Jorge Vera Rebollar, jverareb at mit.edu

EvLab from the Department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences at MIT is currently
running an experiment which requires native female speakers of some
languages to read a story in their native language into a microphone, while
we record their voice. The recording session would take place in MIT's
building 46 (43 Vassar St, Cambridge, MA 02139), lasts ~2 hours, and
participants will receive $50 as compensation in the form of an Amazon gift
card. Speakers will be asked to identify certain passages from a story book
in their native language, and read/record those passages.

We are currently in need of native female speakers of the following
languages:

Albanian Assamese Breton Cebuano Croatian Esperanto Finnish Frisian Gaelic
Hawaiian Hebrew Hindi Irish Latvian Marathi Norwegian Provencal Slovak
Swahili Ukranian Welsh Zulu

Future languages we may be interested in:

Akan Amharic Awadhi Balochi Bengali Bhojpuri Burmese Chewa Chhattisgarhi
Chittagonian Deccan Dhundhari Fula Gan Gujarati Haitian Creole Hakka
Haryanvi Hausa Hiligaynon Hmong Igbo Ilokano/Ilocano Javanese Jin Kannada
Kazakh Khmer Kinyarwanda Kirundi Konkani Kurdish Madurese Magahi Maithili
Malagasy Malaylam Marwari Min Bei Min Dong Min Nan Mossi Oriya Oromo Pashto
Punjabi Quechua Saraiki Shona Sindhi Sinhalese Somali Sundanese Sylheti
Tamil Telegu Thai Uyghur Uzbek Wu Xhosa Xiang Yoruba Zhuang

************** Outside MIT **************

*5.* *Free Fun Fridays in Boston*

*When:* Fridays, now – August 26th

*Where:* various

*Info*: link <http://highlandstreet.org/programs/free-fun-fridays>

Our Free Fun Fridays offer visitors no-cost admission to many of the most
treasured cultural venues in Massachusetts. This program was created to
increase access and enrichment opportunities for children and families
throughout Massachusetts during the summer months. Every Friday, from the
end of June through the end of August, multiple sites are open for free. We
reach out to schools, veterans groups, libraries, seniors’ centers, and
many other community organizations to ensure that everyone knows that they
are also welcome.

*6.* *Zumba on the Esplanade*

*When* Tuesdays, July 12th – September 13th, 6:00pm -7:00 pm

*Where:* DCR's Hatch Memorial Shell, 47 David G Mugar Way, Boston, MA 02108

*Register*: link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/zumba-on-the-esplanade-2016-tickets-26202886539>

Join Healthworks Fitness for FREE Zumba at the Esplanade Tuesdays at 6pm
July 12th - September 13th! This summer marks our sixth year of holding
free Zumba classes at the Hatch Shell on the Boston Esplanade, in
partnership with The Esplanade Association. The enthusiasm and energy of
the crowds is always contagious. Get ready to shake, salsa, and sweat at
one of the most beautiful locations in town!

*7.** [MASS AWIS] Get on Board for the Scholarship Fund: Happy Hour with
MASS AWIS Board Members!*

*When:* Tuesday, July 19th, 5:30pm – 7:30pm

*Where:* Meadhall, 4 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

*Register*: link
<http://mass-awis.org/get-on-board-for-the-scholarship-fund-happy-hour-with-mass-awis-board-members-tuesday-july-19th-2016/>

Get to know former and current MASS AWIS Board members by joining us for
happy hour! Meet the amazing women above (plus others), learn about their
career paths, and find out how they got involved with MASS AWIS. Proceeds
will go to the MASS AWIS scholarship fund!

Cost: MASS AWIS members $10; Non-members $20; Optional donations to the
Scholarship Fund

*8.* *[MASS AWIS] Mentoring Circles*

*Deadline:* Friday, July 22nd

*Info*: link <http://www.massawis.org/mentoring-circles/>

*Apply*: link <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XB886FJ>

At MASS AWIS (MA branch of the Association for Women in Science), we are in
the midst of recruiting mentees for our Mentoring Circles program.

Mentoring Circles seek to bring together mentors (mid-late stage STEM
professionals) with mentees (early career STEM researchers) for a 9-month
long, once a month meeting, to discuss and offer guidance on a wide range
of topics, from careers in academia and industry to transitioning to
careers away from the bench to seeking and maintaining a work-life balance.
A mentoring circle consists of 1-2 mentors and 3-6 mentees. Last year we
had more than 150 mentors and mentees matched in 24 circles.

If you are a grad student / postdoc nearing the end of your training and
thinking about your next career steps, consider taking advantage of this
unique opportunity to meet and connect with researchers working in the
Greater Boston area in biotech / pharma / academia / consulting / law /
scientific writing fields.

Many of our mentors have decades of experience in their respective fields
and are an exceptional resource for young scientists. We have had
overwhelmingly positive responses from our Mentoring Circles programs in
the past few years, and hope this would benefit you as well.

Deadline is July 22nd, 2016.

*9. Hiring in Tech - What Companies are REALLY Looking For*

*When:* Thursday, July 28th, 6:00pm – 8:00pm

*Where*: Workbar Cambridge - 45 Prospect Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

*Register*: link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hiring-in-tech-what-companies-are-really-looking-for-tickets-25137375567>

Join ChickTech Boston at WorkBar Cambridge for refreshments, networking,
and a great panel discussion that will help you get ahead on your next job
application. Headshots will also be available on a first come first serve
basis!

*Recruiting & interviewing*

• What do companies really look for when hiring engineers?

• What can you expect in a technical interview?

*Cultural Fit*

• Is it okay to ask about maternal/paternal leave policies during an
interview?

• If you’re pregnant, should you mention it during the interview?

*Compensation*

• How should you evaluate compensation packages?

Should you trade salary for equity?

• What are stock options and vesting schedules?

100% of ticket sales will support ChickTech High School, a free program for
girls in underrepresented communities that strives to build confidence in
STEM through workshops and mentorships.

*Use discount code HIREME to get 20% off the tickets.*

*10. ClearView Healthcare Partners - Consultant Position Openings *

*Deadline:* Sunday, August 7th, 11:59pm EDT

*Info*: link <http://www.clearviewhcp.com/>

*Contact*: Nicole Davis, Nicole.Davis at clearviewhcp.com

*Apply*: link <http://www.clearviewhcp.com/careers/apply/current-openings>

ClearView Healthcare Partners is a premier life sciences consulting firm
with offices in Boston and New York City serving clients in the
biopharmaceutical, medical device, and diagnostics spaces. We provide
world-class strategic decision-making support across a wide range of
business issues. Our goal is to inform actionable recommendations that
allow companies to achieve their business objectives.

We are seeking motivated advanced degree candidates (e.g., PhD, MD, or MBA
degree and postdocs) who are seeking an enriching professional experience
within the life sciences beginning in 2017. Although prior consulting
experience is not necessary, all candidates should have a background in the
life sciences and demonstrated interest in the biopharmaceutical industry.
Candidates must be highly analytical in their approach to solving complex
problems, should be proficient in both written and oral communication, and
must enjoy working within a dynamic team environment.

We are currently accepting applications from advanced degree candidates
(e.g., PhD, MD, or MBA degree and postdocs) through August 7, 2016 for the
Life Sciences Strategy Consultant position to begin in 2017.  If selected,
candidates will be invited to interview in August and September 2016.

*11. ART+SCIENCE Opportunity*

*When:* Monday, August 15th – Friday, August 20th

*Where:* Puerto Rico

*Info*: link <http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/about>

*Apply*: link <http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/island-life>

Throughout the year, the ART+BIO Collaborative offers Field Studies in
Art+Nature, educational travel courses that integrate field biology and
art. We are still accepting applicants for ISLAND LIFE, a tropical field
study that will take place August 15-20th.

ISLAND LIFE: Tropical Field Studies of Art+Nature in Puerto Rico is a
hands-on, immersive, and project-based program that integrates biology and
art in the field, at various environments in Puerto Rico. The focus of the
program is to learn about Puerto Rico's diverse wildlife through artmaking
and field biology. We travel to rainforests, dry forests, beach, coastal,
coral reef, mangrove, and mountain environments. The program involves
multiple site-specific projects that integrate creativity, art and biology.

*12. Boston Public Library Concerts in the Courtyard*

*When:* Wednesdays, 6:00pm - 7:00pm; Fridays, 12:30pm - 1:30pm

*Where:* Boston Public Library, 700 Boylston St., Boston, MA 02116

*Info*: link <http://www.bpl.org/programs/concerts.htm>

The courtyard of the Central Library in Copley Square, one of Boston's most
beautiful spaces, is filled with music during free, one-hour concerts
throughout the summer. The courtyard hosts music that ranges from jazz to
classical and from world to folk. Concerts are moved indoors in the event
of inclement weather.

Wednesdays from 6-7 p.m.; Fridays from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.

Full schedule of concerts available here
<http://www.bpl.org/programs/concerts.htm>.

*13. Kendall Square Concert Series in partnership with Boston Properties*

*When:* Tuesdays, June 7th – September 6th, 12:00pm - 1:00pm

*Where:* Kendall Center, near Kendall Square Station, Cambridge, MA

*Info*: link
<http://passim.org/club/passim-presents-concerts-kendall-center-12>

Passim Presents Concerts at Kendall Center from June to September. Enjoy
having your lunch and listening live music at Kendall Square. Concert
calendar is available at their website
<http://passim.org/club/passim-presents-concerts-kendall-center-12>.

Free Concerts. All Summer Long. All Ages. All Over Cambridge!

****************************

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

*Blog: **http://gwamit.blogspot.com* <http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>

*Twitter: **http://twitter.com/gwamitweb* <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

*Facebook: **http://www.facebook.com/gwamit*