[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of February 22, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Feb 22 18:53:35 EST 2016

[image: Inline images 2]
Dear GW at MIT Members,

There are a lot of great opportunities and events coming up, including the
GWAMIT Empowerment Conference! Planning for the conference will start
ramping up soon, so check out the announcement below to see how you can get
involved.

The GWAMIT Board

*Send your ideas to:* gwamit-exec at mit.edu
*Send your announcements to:* gwamit-sec at mit.edu
*Visit us:* http://gwamit.org

*======== IN BRIEF========*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Join the GWAMIT 2016 Empowerment Conference Team!

*MIT:*
2. MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series (Feb - May)
3. MIT Graduate School Leadership Institute (*Now!*)
4. Grad Queer Women Dinner (*Tomorrow!*)
5. Join the MIT Ribotones (Feb. 25th)
6. Thank-a-donor Pub Night (Feb. 26th)
7. Women Take the Reel: Film Festival Celebrating Women's History Month
(Mar. 1st - 30th)
8. [POWER] Seminar with Prof. Kristala L. Jones Prather (Mar. 1st)
9. ClearView Healthcare Partners - Connect to ClearView Information Session
(Mar. 1st)
10. Digital Healthcare: How Smart Devices, Big Data, and Delivery are
Changing Healthcare Industry (Mar. 2nd)
11. MIT Energy Conference (Mar. 5th - 6th)
12. Apply for a funded Public Service Fellowship for Summer 2016 (Mar. 18th)
13. CityDays MIT April 2016: Ask Me About... (Feb. 26th)

*Outside MIT:*
14. New Resource: The Pregnant Scholar
15. Ways with Words: Exploring Language and Gender (Mar. 3rd-4th)
16. [MASS AWIS] Crafting Your Story for Career Transition (Mar. 23rd)

*====================FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS====================*

*********** GW at MIT ***********

*1. Join the GWAMIT 2016 Empowerment Conference Team!*
*Info*: link <http://gwamit.org/spring-empowerment-conference/>
*Apply*: link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1QhXw3dL4CHCOvxVMMlZNUkjgqHJ7fRTW3TpjaFnlghg/edit?usp=sharing>

GWAMIT is currently recruiting conference co-chairs, event leads and
committee members for the annual Spring Empowerment Conference to be held
in April 2016. This is a great opportunity to be a part of the 2016
organizing team!

There are many different ways you can get involved depending on your
interests and schedule. Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at
gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you have questions. We also encourage you to read
more about previous leaders and events on our website
<http://gwamit.org/spring-empowerment-conference/>.

*********** MIT ***********

*2. MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series*
*When*: February - May
*Info*: link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>
*Register*: link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Spring
2016 Seminar Series <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>. Our
presenters, who are experts in their fields, will share research-based
strategies, tips, and information on more than 25 topics, including
changing how you respond to stress; supporting your child’s emotional and
intellectual development; understanding the U.S. college admissions
process; navigating life as a young professional; and learning how to help
an aging family member.

All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required
<http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>.

We believe these seminars and workshops will help MIT community members
find better balance in their professional and personal lives, and
appreciate your help in communicating this information to the broader MIT
community.

*3. MIT Graduate School Leadership Institute*
*When*: Now - Friday, February 26
*Info/Apply*: email <jentutak at gmail.com>

Modeled after a successful program at Harvard, the MIT Graduate School
Leadership Institute aspires to be a first-of-its-kind, peer-led
collaboration across all MIT graduate schools to further develop the
leadership skills, experience, and network of outstanding MIT graduate
students who have already exhibited strong leadership capacity. Out of the
hectic pace of studying at MIT, the program carves out dedicated time and
space for purposeful, authentic reflection and connection.

Given the universal need for leadership across disciplines, this cross-MIT
program aims to establish long-term bonds and a leadership tool kit amongst
a diverse set of graduate students with the goal of building robust
leadership development and positive impact in the world.

After an initial pilot program in the spring of 2016, we hope to continue
to expand this to as many students as possible! This spring pilot
anticipates consisting of six Tuesday evening sessions at MIT on March 1,
8, 29, and April 5, 12, 26. Sessions will begin with a soft start over
dinner provided to participants from 7:30-8:00pm, with then focused
programming 8:00-10:00pm. For more information please email
jentutak at gmail.com.

Please note that limited space is available for the pilot and the group
will be finalized by February 29. Special thanks to the MIT Leadership
Center, ODGE, SAO, GSC, and other agencies which have help inform and
support this pilot launch.

*4. Grad Queer Women Dinner*
*When*: Tuesday, February 23, 6:00 PM
*Where*: Area Four
*Questions*: email <rheywood at mit.edu>
*RSVP*: link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/130YP0M2bfx_xRWBOeiOBzrShZVduMYMRAMok7-OkUvw/viewform>

Come join us for some socializing with other queer graduate women from
around the Institute. Dinner is on us, drinks are on you.  RSVP here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/130YP0M2bfx_xRWBOeiOBzrShZVduMYMRAMok7-OkUvw/viewform>
and please share with other MIT-affiliated women. See you there! Contact
rheywood at mit.edu with any questions.

*5. Join the MIT Ribotones!*
*When*: Thursday, February 25, 11:59 PM
*Info*: email <ribotones-exec at mit.edu>
*Apply*: link <http://doodle.com/poll/ytwacx7ag5wukxuh>

Who are we? We're MIT students and affiliates who love playing music. We
perform free community concerts at venues in the Cambridge and Boston area.
Last semester, we performed at the AstraZeneca Hope Lodge, and this
semester's venues include the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, MGH, and
multiple nursing homes.

What do we play? We have vocalists, pianists, string players, and more! At
concerts, we perform solo or in groups (string quartets, anyone?).

Who are we looking for? We are looking for soloists and small music groups
(~2-5 people) of all genres.

How to join? Please fill out the doodle poll
http://doodle.com/poll/ytwacx7ag5wukxuh by 11:59 PM on Thursday, February
25th with your name, Kerberos, and instrument. We will hold auditions on
Fri. 2/26, Sat. 2/27, and Mon. 2/29. If none of these times work for you,
please email ribotones-exec at mit.edu.

Feel free to email ribotones-exec at mit.edu if you have any questions!

*6. Thank-a-donor Pub Night*
*When*: Friday, February 26, 6:30 - 9:30 PM
*Where*: Ashdown (Hulsizer Room)
*Contact*: email <sarahlev at mit.edu>

The Annual Fund is thrilled to announce the return of the “thank-a-donor
project” from February 20th — 26th! This project aims to gather as many
heart-felt video expressions of gratitude from current students. We then
share student’s expressions of gratitude with MIT’s donors. Since many of
MIT’s donors donate to the graduate student experience, we’re hosting a
special video session for graduate students!

*Bonus*: Come film a short expression of gratitude and receive a *free
*cupcake!

*Extra Bonus*: After you’re done filming come join us across the hall in
the Thirsty Ear Pub for *free *drinks and Wings Over!

*7. Women Take the Reel**: Film Festival Celebrating Women's History Month *
*When*: Throughout March
*Where*: Various
*Info*: link <http://web.mit.edu/gcws/news+events/2016women-reel.html>

The WGS/GCWS's annual collaboratively-produced Women Take the Reel film
festival now has its own Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/womentakethereel/>!

This annual film festival is a collaborative effort among Women's and
Gender Studies departments involved in the Graduate Consortium in Women's
Studies (as well as select institutions/universities aligned with its
mission) that features films about issues relating to gender, race,
sexuality, class and/or feminism. The theme of this year’s festival is
*Activism*.

The focus is on the intellectual investigation of these issues, so every
film is accompanied by a Q&A and discussion with the film director,
producer, local activists and practitioners, and/or faculty members from
the host institution for each film.

*All films are free and open to the public.*

More information about each film screening and associated events are below.

FILMS and SCREENING DATES:

   - 3/1: She's Beautiful When She's Angry at Northeastern University
   - 3/2: The Second Mother at MIT
   - 3/3: Black Lives Through the Arts: Women Take the Reel Opening Event
   at the Brattle Theater
   - 3/8: They Call Me a Muslim at Lesley University
   - 3/9: Speed Sisters at MIT
   - 3/10: Half the History: Tell Her Story and Half the History: Belinda’s
   Petition at Tufts University
   - 3/15: Mutantes: Punk Porn Feminism at Simmons College
   - 3/16: Her Story at Tufts University
   - 3/17: Regarding Susan Sontag at MIT
   - 3/22: Rebel at Emerson College
   - 3/26: An Open Secret at Emerson College
   - 3/30:The Price of Sex at Boston College

Please visit our website for complete details!
http://web.mit.edu/gcws/news+events/2016women-reel.html

WOMEN TAKE THE REEL is a FREE roaming film festival SPONSORED BY: MIT
Program in Women's and Gender Studies; the Graduate Consortium in Women's
Studies; Boston College Women's and Gender Studies Program; Boston
University Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program; Brandeis
University Women's and Gender Studies Program; Northeastern University
Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program; Simmons College Department
of Women's and Gender Studies; Tufts University Women's, Gender, and
Sexuality Studies Program; UMass Boston Women's and Gender Studies
Department; Emerson College Department of Visual and Media Arts; and Lesley
University.

*8.*
* [POWER] Seminar with Prof. Kristala L. Jones Prather*
*When*: Tuesday, March 1, 12:00 - 1:00 PM
*Where*: MIT Building E25-202 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=E25>
*Info*: link <http://web.mit.edu/prathergroup/>
*RSVP*: link <http://goo.gl/forms/BEjIS2lfUC>

Organized by the Postdoctoral Organization for Women Engaged in Research
(POWER)
Sponsor: Committee on Race and Diversity
Category: Diversity & Inclusion
Refreshments will be provided

POWER’s professional career development seminars focus on the speaker’s
personal experiences, insights into their current work, as well as
work-life integration issues. Prof. Prather will discuss what has
contributed to her success, the challenges she has overcome, and advice for
current postdocs. She will also talk about maintaining a balanced life, in
light of the rigors of an industrial and academic career. We hope that the
interactions will assist women postdocs in navigating their careers and
will also help them build the professional connections.

Speaker bio:

*Kristala L. Jones Prather* is Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering
at MIT and an investigator in the Synthetic Biology Engineering Research
Center, funded by the National Science Foundation. Her research interests
are centered on the engineering of recombinant microorganisms for the
production of small molecules. Prather received an SB degree from MIT and a
PhD from the University of California, Berkeley, and worked in bioprocess
research and development at Merck Research Laboratories prior to joining
the MIT faculty. She has received numerous awards, including a spot on the
MIT Technology Review‘s TR35, a list of innovators under the age of 35.
Prather has been recognized for excellence in teaching at MIT with several
awards, including an appointment as a MacVicar Faculty Fellow, the highest
honor given for undergraduate teaching at MIT.
http://web.mit.edu/prathergroup/

*The professional and socio-cultural activities of POWER are open to the
entire MIT community. POWER does not discriminate against individuals on
the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry,
or national or ethnic origin.

Stay up to date on events!
Follow us on Twitter @MIT_POWER
Check out our website: http://pda.mit.edu/power/

*9. ClearView Healthcare Partners - Connect to ClearView Information
Session**When*: Tuesday, March 1, 6:00 - 7:30 PM
*Where*: MIT Building 5-233 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=5>
*Info*: link <http://www.clearviewhcp.com/>
*Apply*: link <http://www.clearviewhcp.com/careers/apply/current-openings>

ClearView Healthcare Partners will be hosting an information and networking
session for candidates interested in Connect to ClearView, our 3-day
immersion program for graduate and professional students, on *Tuesday,
March 1st at 6 – 7:30 PM in room 5-233*.

ClearView Healthcare Partners is a premier life sciences consulting firm
with offices in Boston and New York City serving clients in the
biopharmaceutical, medical device, and diagnostics spaces.  We provide
world-class strategic decision-making support across a wide range of
business issues.  Our goal is to inform actionable recommendations that
allow companies to achieve their business objectives.

ClearView represents a unique opportunity for professional growth and
client impact.  We are ranked #11 in Vault.com’s Consulting Fifty based on
our commitment to training, professional development, and providing
meaningful value for our clients.

For our Consultant position, we recruit candidates with post-graduate
degrees in the life sciences (i.e., Ph.D. or M.D.) who are looking to work
in an entrepreneurial environment, interact with a dynamic group of
coworkers, and develop a deep understanding of the biopharmaceutical
industry.

Connect to ClearView is a unique opportunity for advanced degree candidates
focused in the life sciences to experience three days as a life sciences
strategy consultant and get to know ClearView. ClearView managers will lead
teams of graduate and professional students through an engagement based on
high impact pharmaceutical development strategy projects.

Two separate sessions of the program will take place on June 1 – 3 and July
13 – 15 at our office in Boston.  ClearView will take care of all travel
and lodging for non-local participants.

Eligibility:

Connect to ClearView is focused on advanced degree candidates (e.g., Ph.D.,
postdoc, M.D., M.B.A.).  To be eligible for the program, you must meet the
following criteria:

   - Dedicated interest and background in the life sciences
   - Aiming to complete your degree by June 2017
   - Seriously considering life sciences consulting as a career option
   - Committed to attending the full 3-day program in June or July

How to Apply:

Please apply through our website by uploading your resume and cover letter:
http://www.clearviewhcp.com/careers/apply/current-openings

Application Submission Deadline:  11:59 pm EST, March 20, 2016

Information Session:
We will be hosting an information and networking session for candidates
interested in Connect to ClearView on March 1st at 6 – 7:30 in room 5-233.

Full-time Application Information:
We will begin receiving applications for the full-time Consultant position
in June, and anticipate an application deadline in early August.  Please
monitor our website for additional details later in the Spring.

*10.** Digital Healthcare: How Smart Devices, Big Data, & Delivery Are
Changing Healthcare Industry*
*When*: Wednesday, March 2, 5:30-6:30 PM
*Where*: MIT Building 32-141 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>
*Register*: link
<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/CareerFair/Detail/QU9ZUk14QUI1em8wejhsZTVWTkxQY3kvZjRONG9zeHpYejVkcmJXclZOST01>

All Courses Welcome!

Learn how the rise in digital healthcare is creating a new way of thinking
about wearable devices, patient care, data management, diagnostics, and
more. Take part in a discussion focused on the collaboration of physicians,
techies, analysts, venture capitalists, and regulatory agents. Panelists
will share successes and challenges of this interdisciplinary industry and
participate in Q&A discussing opportunities for addressing complex health
issues.

Panelists from Vertex Pharmaceuticals, MIT Healthcare Ventures & Hacking
Medical Institute, Immuneering, Quality Health Ideas, and more!

Register in CareerBridge – Events
<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/Search/CareerFair>

*11. MIT Energy Conference*
*When*: Friday, March 5 - Saturday, March 6
*Where*: Marriott, Cambridge
*Info*: link <http://mitenergyconference.org/>
*Register*: link <http://mitenergyconference.org/registration>

As the largest student-led energy conference in the US, the *MIT Energy
Conference* is an unparalleled platform to network and learn from 1000+
energy professionals and experts across the globe.

In its 11th edition to be held on March 4-5 at the Marriott in Cambridge,
the MIT Energy Conference 2016 main theme is centered on the
interconnection between activities, technologies, and geographies,
addressing the idea that small, distributed impacts can generate big
solutions.

This year's conference will feature eminent keynote speakers such as Dr.
Ernest Moniz, US Secretary of Energy and Dr. Yumkella Kandeh, Former UN
Under Secretary General and Special Representative of the UN Sustainable
Energy for All Initiative.  The conference panels will reflect today's
challenges and opportunities in the energy industry. Furthermore, in line
with MIT's culture of innovation, we are proud to launch the following new
initiatives at this conference:

   - Energy Project Competition
   <https://mail.hks.harvard.edu/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=QYkDFc6U7hAPDlbcDtnD3DxrFCepeKu7pRSiUM3Drhf3lJNHYDfTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AbQBpAHQAZQBuAGUAcgBnAHkAYwBvAG4AZgBlAHIAZQBuAGMAZQAuAG8AcgBnAC8AZQBuAGUAcgBnAHkAYwBvAG4AZgBlAHIAZQBuAGMAZQAvADIAMAAxADYALwBuAGUAdwAvAGUAbgBlAHIAZwB5AC0AcAByAG8AagBlAGMAdAAtAGMAbwBtAHAAZQB0AGkAdABpAG8AbgA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fmitenergyconference.org%2fenergyconference%2f2016%2fnew%2fenergy-project-competition>
   - Present innovative and cutting-edge solutions to energy challenges.
   - Coffee Chats with Employers
   <https://mail.hks.harvard.edu/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=96sNmigw6vbfFhYeU2r_EVMjHcxyQ_gKw8UAIFkhzET3lJNHYDfTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AbQBpAHQAZQBuAGUAcgBnAHkAYwBvAG4AZgBlAHIAZQBuAGMAZQAuAG8AcgBnAC8AZQBuAGUAcgBnAHkAYwBvAG4AZgBlAHIAZQBuAGMAZQAvADIAMAAxADYALwBuAGUAdwAvAGMAbwBmAGYAZQBlAC0AYwBoAGEAdABzAA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fmitenergyconference.org%2fenergyconference%2f2016%2fnew%2fcoffee-chats>
   - Meet with top energy recruiters and discuss employment opportunities
   - Women In Energy Lunches
   <https://mail.hks.harvard.edu/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=kwwdltFwbHNJymvUcw7STsICZCoksqpx5n6ep54ZSc33lJNHYDfTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AbQBpAHQAZQBuAGUAcgBnAHkAYwBvAG4AZgBlAHIAZQBuAGMAZQAuAG8AcgBnAC8AZQBuAGUAcgBnAHkAYwBvAG4AZgBlAHIAZQBuAGMAZQAvADIAMAAxADYALwBuAGUAdwAvAHcAbwBtAGUAbgAtAGUAbgBlAHIAZwB5AC0AbgBlAHQAdwBvAHIAawBpAG4AZwAtAGwAdQBuAGMAaAA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fmitenergyconference.org%2fenergyconference%2f2016%2fnew%2fwomen-energy-networking-lunch>
   - Join successful and ambitious women in energy and learn from their
   successes and failures
   - Optional Tours
   <https://mail.hks.harvard.edu/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=dMCk9oi8NJe2v5z-PuyASrwO6jvVqncu0mxB8KSC9uD3lJNHYDfTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AbQBpAHQAZQBuAGUAcgBnAHkAYwBvAG4AZgBlAHIAZQBuAGMAZQAuAG8AcgBnAC8AZQBuAGUAcgBnAHkAYwBvAG4AZgBlAHIAZQBuAGMAZQAvADIAMAAxADYALwBuAGUAdwAvAHQAbwB1AHIAcwA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fmitenergyconference.org%2fenergyconference%2f2016%2fnew%2ftours>
   - Interact with fellow attendees while touring the MIT Media Lab and other
   MIT facilities

For further information, please visit http://mitenergyconference.org/.

Grab your conference tickets at http://mitenergyconference.org/registration.

*12. Apply for a funded Public Service Fellowship for Summer 2016*
*Deadline*: Friday, March 18, 12:00 PM
*Info*: link <http://mit.edu/mitpsc/whatwedo/internshipsandfellowships/>
*Apply*: link
<http://mit.edu/mitpsc/whatwedo/internshipsandfellowships/fellows-apply.html>

The MIT Public Service Center has funded community service opportunities
available to MIT students. This is a great opportunity that allows students
to carry out service projects locally, nationally, or abroad in their field
of study or interest. Our office covers the personal travel and living
expenses as well as advises them along the way!

The Fellowships program supports MIT students working on capacity-building
service projects. Students work with community-focused organizations
including non-profits and social enterprises. These can include a student's
own social enterprise.

You can create your own project, continue work on an enterprise you already
started, or intern with a service organization. We welcome a wide range of
service projects and support work in the US and abroad.

Applications for Summer Fellowships must be submitted by* noon on March
18th.*

Find more details here:
http://mit.edu/mitpsc/whatwedo/internshipsandfellowships/
Looking for ideas? See what previous students have done:
http://mitpsc.mit.edu/blog/

What can you do? Follow your passion and benefit a community in need!

Questions? Contact Alison at hynd at mit.edu

*13. *
*CityDays MIT April 2016: Ask Me About...*