[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of December 12, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Dec 12 02:12:11 EST 2016

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of December 12, 2016
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=2f06899939&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
December 12, 2016
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*

*MIT:*
1. [Martin Trust Center] Creative Arts Pitch Night (Dec. 12)
2. MIT BTM Unconscious bias Challenge Workshop (Dec. 12)
3. MIT Women's League Daniel Chester French Exhibition (Dec. 13)
4. [Cheneyroom] December @ the Cheney Room (Dec. 15)
5. MIT $15 Winter Break Airport Shuttle (Dec. 21 - Dec. 24)
6. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series (now – Dec.)
7. [GCWS] spring course announcements (Jan. 4)
8. [GCWS] Call for Papers: 2017 GCWS Graduate Student Conference (Jan. 6)
9. Saturday teaching opportunities with MIT Office of Engineering Outreach
Programs (Spring 2017)
10. 2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon (Feb. 25)

*Outside MIT:*
11. Common Purpose leadership programme (Jan. 17-20)
12. ART+SCIENCE Field Studies Opportunity (Jan. 2017)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

Thanks to those who come to our cookie decorating social last week. We hope
you had a good time!

Happy last week of class~

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************
************** MIT **************

*1. [Martin Trust Center] Creative Arts Pitch Night*
*When:* Monday, December 12th, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
*Where:* Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship | 1 Amherst
Street, Cambridge, MA 02142
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/15k-creative-arts-prize-competition-find-ideasteammates-mixer-tickets-29955612042>
Share Ideas + Meet Teammates + Eat Free Food
Join us for a Creative Arts Pitch Night to meet future collaborators and
share ideas with students from across campus at the intersection of arts,
media and technology from visual arts to VR, film, gaming, music,
performing arts and beyond!
Monday, December 12th 7-9pm at the Martin Trust Center for Entrepreneurship
is your seat to a preview of the $15K Creative Arts Prize launching in the
spring and the amazing projects happening in the arts across MIT.
*2. MIT BTM Unconscious bias Challenge Workshop*
*When:* Monday, December 12th, 11:45 AM - 1:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Building E62-250
*Register:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdbjBhlzUa1auc2v6EKBh9Kmq13W3vcUsLU3lGr14bFKfzINA/viewform?c=0&w=1>
Breaking the Mold, for which SWIM is a major sponsor, is working to
directly combat bias (conscious and unconscious, for all dimensions of
diversity). This year's event will be a hackathon on February 25, 2017.  In
advance of this event, we are working with various groups across campus to
develop relevant and impactful hackathon challenges.  Your perspective is
essential in this discussion, and so we would love for you all to join a
workshop during lunch on Monday, December 12 to further develop the
hackathon challenge ideas.
*3. [MIT Women's League] Daniel Chester French Exhibition*
*When:* December 13th, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
*Where:* Boston Athenaeum, 10 1/2 Beacon Street, Boston
*Reserve*: wleague at mit.edu
Born in Concord, MA, Daniel Chester French is known to most New Englanders
as the sculptor of the Minute Man statue (1875) at Concord's historic Old
North Bridge. Nationally and internationally he is known as the sculptor of
the Abraham Lincoln monumental statue (1906) in the Lincoln Memorial,
Washington, D.C..
We hope you will join us to view yet another theme of his work at the
Boston Athenaeum's special exhibition "Daniel Chester French: The Female
Form Revealed."
"It is the goal of this exhibition to help fill that gap in French
scholarship. 'Daniel Chester French: The Female Form Revealed' will explore
French's career primarily as seen in a group of preliminary models and
studies that he made not only for major public commissions but also for a
number of his more intimate and personal works."
Our Athenaeum visit is limited sixteen people. Eight will have a guided
tour of the exhibition while the other eight will explore the building's
great artwork and architecture. Then each group will switch and discover
what they didn't see in their first session.
The tour begins at 11:00 am. You may meet a group at the Kendall T station
on the inbound platform at 10:15 am and travel together. Or you may choose
to go directly to the Athenaeum at 10 l/2 Beacon Street, Boston (across
from the State House). The tour cost is $10 per person (no discounts
provided).
To reserve your place, please contact the League office at 617.253.3656 or
wleague at mit.edu.
*4. [Cheneyroom] December @ the Cheney Room*
*When:* Thursday, December 15th
*Where:* Margaret Cheney Room | MIT Building 3-310
Check out what's going on in the Cheney Room during December!
*5. MIT $15 Winter Break Airport Shuttle*
*When:* Wednesday, December 21st - Saturday, December 24th
*Register:* link
<http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/airport.html>
The Parking and Transportation Office will once again provide shuttle
service to Logan Airport for the Winter Break.   Shuttles will be available
from Wednesday,  December 21 through Saturday, December 24 at the scheduled
times.  Advance reservations are required.
Please visit the Parking and Transportation Office web site reservation
page for shuttle times
http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/airport.html   and to
reserve a seat.  The shuttle fee is $15.00.
All reservations will be processed via the web site and the shuttle fee
will be billed to student accounts or via employee payroll deductions.
Shuttles will depart from the Kresge parking lot at the scheduled times and
will not wait for late arriving passengers.   Normal trip time from MIT to
Logan Airport is about a half-hour, but please allow up to one hour for
this trip.   Traffic, construction and Airport Security delays should be
expected.
Have a great Winter Break!
*6. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series *
*When:* now - December
*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

*Goal Setting for Your Best Year Yet (Webinar)*
*When*: Tuesday, December 20, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
​Presenter – Cindy Loughran; Professional Certified Coach and Founder,
Cindy Loughran Coaching
We all have things we say we'd like to do but, somehow, they never seem to
get done. They can range from simple to complex: reading a book, learning a
new skill, taking a vacation, or completing a project at work. Despite our
stated desire to do these things, other priorities get in the way and we
don't do them. In this webinar, you will get tools to help you identify
what's really important to you and you'll learn how to set specific,
attainable goals and develop workable plans for reaching them.
*7. GCWS spring course announcements*
*Info: *link <https://wgs.mit.edu/subjects/>
GCWS is excited to announce our Spring 2017 courses. Applications are due
January 4, 2017. Some more information about the classes below:
WGS.S10 - Marginalized Masculinities
21H.983 - Gender
WGS.101 - Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies
WGS.190 - Black Matters: Introduction to Black Studies
WGS.S10 - Marginalized Masculinities
WGS.111 - Gender & Media Studies
WGS.151 - Gender, Health, & Society
WGS.231 - Writing about Race
WGS.229 - Race, Culture, & Gender in the U.S & Beyond: A Psychological
Perspective
WGS.225 - The Science of Race, Sex, & Gender
21L.435 - Queer Cinema
WGS.276 - Cultures of Computing
WGS.275 - Gender in Science, Technology, & Environment
*8. [GCWS] Call for Papers: 2017 GCWS Graduate Student Conference*
*Deadline:* January 6, 2017
*Register:* link <https://tufts.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a9IleHRX4giF0tD>
HE PERSONAL IS STILL POLITICAL:
CHALLENGING MARGINALIZATION THROUGH THEORY, ANALYSIS, & PRAXIS
 A Graduate Student Conference on Gender, Culture, Women & Sexuality
March 31 & April 1, 2017

In the late 1960s, the statement “the personal is political” emerged as a
central rallying cry for feminist activists. While salient before, it has
become all the more urgent in light of the 2016 United States election
results. Given this, the Consortium for Graduate Studies in Gender,
Culture, Women, and Sexuality (GCWS) is hosting a graduate student
conference, The Personal Is Still Political: Challenging Marginalization
through Theory, Analysis, & Praxis, to investigate how this slogan has
been, can be, or is now being mobilized as a concept for resistance by
marginalized groups   theoretically, analytically, and practically.
Thirty years ago, Audre Lorde remarked that “the absence of [race,
sexuality, class, and age] weakens any feminist discussion of the personal
and the political.” We build upon this inclusive declaration to examine the
diverse reach of state oppressions, violence, hegemonic intervention, and
marginality in the contemporary moment. We also aim to explore modes of
resistance to such repression. Some of the questions this conference seeks
to address include (but are not limited to):
• How have intersectional approaches to praxis reshaped this concept as a
useful tool for counter-hegemonic struggles?
• How do repressed groups and individuals enact or challenge “the personal
as political” in their daily, lived experiences?
•  How is this concept relevant to linkages between academia, activism, and
practice?
Topics to be explored in papers and presentations may include (but are not
limited to):
•  Activism (e.g., Black Lives Matter; the prison abolition movement; the
Standing Rock Protective Actions; abortion ban protests in Poland; support
for openly queer teenagers kicked out of their homes)
•  Legal policies (e.g., transphobic bathroom laws; work and family policy;
sexuality-based discrimination and policy; social welfare policies; labor
rights; treaty rights; the “We are All Amina Filali” movement in Morocco)
• Nationhood, globalization, and immigration (e.g., refugees and
displacement - Syrian refugee crisis; family and migration; persistent
Islamophobia and anti-Semitism; nationalism)
• Environmental issues and justice (e.g., climate change; resource
scarcity; pollution/toxic contamination - the Flint water crisis, the BP
oil spill)
•  Health issues (e.g., health care access; reproductive rights;
(dis)ability and accessibility; food access; the U.S. opioid crisis; global
health disparities)
• Theoretical interventions (e.g., intersectionality; queer theory;
postcolonial feminism; feminist psychoanalysis; FemCrit; settler
colonialism) as explored by scholars such as Butler (2009), Edelman (2004),
Evans-Winters & Esposito (2010), hooks (1984), Moraga & Anzaldua (1981),
Spivak (1992), Wolfe (1999), among others
We welcome proposals for papers and/or projects (i.e. paintings,
sculptures, film, performances, poetry/literature, songs) from graduate
students of all disciplines that explore issues of marginality, repression,
and resistance through the lenses of gender and/or sexuality.
*9. Saturday teaching opportunities with MIT Office of Engineering Outreach
Programs*
*When:* Spring, 2017
*Where:* Boston area
*Apply:* link <http://oeop.mit.edu/jobs-oeop>
*Contact:* seedstaffapp at mit.edu
During the school year, the OEOP offers an academic enrichment program
free-of-charge to 7th – 12th graders in Boston, Cambridge, and Lawrence
Public Schools. The Saturday Engineering Enrichment and Discovery (SEED)
Academy invites students to MIT for eight Saturdays each semester to take a
hands-on engineering course in addition to an academic mentoring seminar
that focuses on writing and communications skills. Through the SEED Academy
we seek to ignite and sustain an interest in STEM for students in our local
community.
This coming semester, we are looking to fill instructor positions in the
following courses:
Academic Mentoring
Biomedical Engineering
Engineering Design
Environmental Engineering
Visit http://oeop.mit.edu/jobs-oeop for full job descriptions and
application instructions. For questions, please email: seedstaffapp at mit.edu.
If you are not able to commit to teaching this upcoming semester, but would
like an opportunity to learn more about volunteer opportunities or summer
teaching opportunities with the OEOP, please email oeop at mit.edu.
*10.  2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon*
*When:* Saturday, February 25th, 2017, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Media Lab | 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
Breaking The Mold 2017: part conference, part hackathon, focused on
bringing diverse teams and skillsets together to tackle the issue of
unconscious bias.
The Breaking the Mold Hackathon is focused on leveraging MIT's community of
innovation and creativity to create solutions to hack unconscious bias. The
hackathon will being together individuals from diverse backgrounds to solve
some of the world's most pressing issues.
Research suggests that diverse groups perform better, and that a culture of
meritocracy alone is not enough to generate groups that reflect the
diversity of our society. We all have biases, conscious and unconscious,
and being aware of and managing these biases can help organizations boost
diversity among leadership groups.
Visit mitbreakingthemold.com for more informaiton!
************** Outside MIT **************

*11. Common Purpose leadership programme*
*When: *January 17th - 20th, 2017
*Where:* The SOCH, Harvard University
*Apply:* link <https://commonpurpose.org/gle/boston>
The four-day programme is a unique opportunity for students (undergraduate
and graduate) to develop their leadership skills and Cultural Intelligence
(CQ) – the ability to cross divides and thrive in multiple cultures.
Participants are also given the opportunity to meet and network with
leaders from the private, public, and non-profit sectors in Boston such as:
the Boston Police Department, Microsoft, the Red Cross and the Boston
Globe. We are keen to involve some of your students in this year’s
programme.
*12.  ART+SCIENCE Field Studies Opportunity*
*When:* January 10-15, 2017
*Apply:* link <http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/island-life>
ISLAND LIFE: Tropical Field Studies of Art+Nature in Puerto Rico is a
hands-on, immersive, and project-based program that integrates biology and
art in the field, at various environments in Puerto Rico. The focus of the
program is to learn about Puerto Rico's diverse wildlife through artmaking
and field biology.  We travel to rainforests, dry forests, beach, coastal,
coral reef, mangrove, and mountain environments.  The program involves
multiple site-specific projects that integrate creativity, art and biology.
There are limited spaces available, and anyone interested in this travel
experience is highly encouraged to apply today! Please click on the links
for photos and more information, and don't hesitate to let me know if you
have any questions. Thank you for helping us to spread the word about this
unique opportunity!
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu