[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of December 5, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Dec 5 01:21:34 EST 2016

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of December 5, 2016
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=039df204e4&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
December 5, 2016
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Relax & de-stress social: Hot chocolate and cookie decorating (Dec. 7)
*MIT:*
2. [Cheneyroom] December @ the Cheney Room (Dec. 2-15)
3. MIT Spouses and Partners Annual Skating event (Dec. 5)
4. [MIT Museum] How Change Happens: a Book Talk with Oxfam's Duncan Green
(Dec. 7)
5. [MITWGS] Vision Reading Series presents Heidi Pitlor (Dec. 7)
6. [MITWGS] Pre-screen Hidden Figures (Dec. 8)
7. The MIT Women's Chorale (Dec. 10)
8. MIT Women's League Daniel Chester French Exhibition (Dec. 13)
9. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series (now – Dec.)
10. [GCWS] spring course announcements (Jan. 4)
11. [GCWS] Call for Papers: 2017 GCWS Graduate Student Conference (Jan. 6)

*Outside MIT:*
12. [MASS AWIS] Winter Holiday Social & Volunteer Appreciation (Dec. 7)
13. Common Purpose leadership programme (Jan. 17-20)
14. ART+SCIENCE Field Studies Opportunity (Jan. 2017)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

It finally comes to the last month of the year 2016. We hope you have
enjoyed this semester.

GWAMIT' relax &amp; de-stress social is this Wednesday at Chiney room. Join
us in cookie decorating while enjoying some hot chocolate!

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************

*1. Relax & de-stress social: Hot chocolate and cookie decorating*
*When:* Wednesday, December 7th, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
*Where:* Margaret Cheney Room | MIT Building 3-310
GWAMIT is preparing a relax & de-stress social before the finals.
We are also collecting winter essentials & gifts for Rosie's Place, a
sanctuary for poor and homeless women.
Bring your gifts/items to Chiney room and join us in cookie decorating
while enjoying some hot chocolate!
************** MIT **************

*2. [Cheneyroom] December @ the Cheney Room*
*When:* December 2nd - 15th
*Where:* Margaret Cheney Room | MIT Building 3-310
Check out what's going on in the Cheney Room during December!
*3.  MIT Spouses and Partners Annual Skating event*
*When:* Monday, December 5th, 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
*Where:* ICE SKATING @Kendal Square
Come and meet new friends, enjoy a fun evening of skating, delicious warm
soup and bread from Panera, and hot chocolate and coffee!!!
Please bring your MIT ID cards
*4. [MIT Museum] How Change Happens: a Book Talk with Oxfam's Duncan Green*
*When:* Wednesday, December 7th, 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM
*Where:* MIT Museum | 265 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-change-happens-a-book-talk-with-oxfams-duncan-green-tickets-29785903439>
Join us for a short book talk and discussion with How Change Happens author
Duncan Green at the MIT Museum on Wednesday, December 7 from 6:30-7:30pm.
Introduction and Q&A by IDIN Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager
Laura Budzyna. Light refreshments will be served.

Duncan Green is Oxfam Great Britain’s Senior Strategic Adviser. He teaches
international development at the London School of Economics, where he is a
Professor in Practice. His blog is one of the most widely read on
international development, and is named after his previous book to How
Change Happens, From Poverty to Power.
*5. [MITWGS] Vision Reading Series presents Heidi Pitlor*
*When:* Wednesday, December 7th, 5:30 PM
*Where:* MIT Building 2-105
*6. [MITWGS] Pre-screen Hidden Figures*
*When:* Thursday, December 8th, 2:00 PM
*Where:* Kendall Sq. Cinema
Join us for this exciting *FREE* pre-screening of "Hidden Figures" based on
the book by Margot Shetterly.
A panel will follow including Margot Shetterly, author of Hidden Figures
(other panelists TBA).
Sponsors include Aero Astro, Women's & Gender Studies & GCWS
Check out the trailer for this little known story of these crucial black
women mathematicians at NASA.
Limited seating, first come-first served!!!
*7. The MIT Women's Chorale*
*When:* Saturday, December 10th, 5:00 PM
*Where:* Harvard-Epworth United Methodist Church | 1555 Massachusetts
Avenue, Harvard Square, Cambridge
Featured works: Two pieces written for women of the 18th century Venetian
Ospedali by Baldassari Galuppi: Dixit Dominus  and Nunc dimittis,
 performed with string quartet and organ. We also sing music of David
Hamilton, Sonya Huang, and, and Kevin Galiè. Free admission, reception
after the concert.
The MIT Women's Chorale is a concert choir sponsored by the MIT Women's
League, and is open to all women of the MIT and Harvard communities and a
small number of guests at the discretion of the director.
In October 2008, the Chorale welcomed Kevin Galiè as our Music Director and
Conductor. The Chorale welcomes Seoyon MacDonald as our accompanist in
September 2016.
Our repertoire covers a wide range of styles, from medieval to
contemporary, including both sacred and secular music. The Chorale performs
two or more concerts each year.  These include a holiday concert held in
December, and a spring concert, usually held in April or May. Rehearsals
are held on Wednesday evenings from 7:15 to 9:30pm in the Emma Rogers Room
(10-340) at MIT. We work hard to prepare for each concert, so a commitment
to regular attendance is expected from our members.
We are enriched by the diversity of our membership, which includes women of
a wide age range and women from the international communities at MIT and
Harvard.  While our primary focus is singing, we end each evening with
conversation over light refreshments.  We also hold a pot luck supper each
semester.  The interactions fostered by the Chorale have led to many
life-long friendships.
*8. [MIT Women's League] Daniel Chester French Exhibition*
*When:* December 13th, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
*Where:* Boston Athenaeum, 10 1/2 Beacon Street, Boston
*Reserve*: wleague at mit.edu
Born in Concord, MA, Daniel Chester French is known to most New Englanders
as the sculptor of the Minute Man statue (1875) at Concord's historic Old
North Bridge. Nationally and internationally he is known as the sculptor of
the Abraham Lincoln monumental statue (1906) in the Lincoln Memorial,
Washington, D.C..
We hope you will join us to view yet another theme of his work at the
Boston Athenaeum's special exhibition "Daniel Chester French: The Female
Form Revealed."
"It is the goal of this exhibition to help fill that gap in French
scholarship. 'Daniel Chester French: The Female Form Revealed' will explore
French's career primarily as seen in a group of preliminary models and
studies that he made not only for major public commissions but also for a
number of his more intimate and personal works."
Our Athenaeum visit is limited sixteen people. Eight will have a guided
tour of the exhibition while the other eight will explore the building's
great artwork and architecture. Then each group will switch and discover
what they didn't see in their first session.
The tour begins at 11:00 am. You may meet a group at the Kendall T station
on the inbound platform at 10:15 am and travel together. Or you may choose
to go directly to the Athenaeum at 10 l/2 Beacon Street, Boston (across
from the State House). The tour cost is $10 per person (no discounts
provided).
To reserve your place, please contact the League office at 617.253.3656 or
wleague at mit.edu.
*9. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series *
*When:* now - December
*Info: *link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars>
*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

*Changing How You Respond to Stress*
*When*:Tuesday, December 6th, 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
*Where:* Building 76-156 |The David H. Koch Institute for Integrative
Cancer Research at MIT
Presenter – Bara Litman, Psy.D., CEAP; Program Manager, MIT Work-Life Center
Kids pushing your tolerance? Commuting getting to you? A new project
keeping you up at night? Stressful situations can be seen as obstacles in
your life that can cause you to be overwhelmed, reactive, sleep deprived,
lacking energy, or worse. Your response to stress can make it hard to think
or problem-solve at work and at home. In this seminar, you will explore
what stress is and isn’t. You will learn about your own ability to identify
situations that may increase your stress and, most importantly, you will
practice how to monitor your stress response and decrease its negative
impact.

*Obstacles in School: Learning, Attention and Organizational Issues
(Webinar)*
*When:* Wednesday, December 7th, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Presenter – Lori Day, M.Ed.; Educational Psychologist and Consultant with
Lori Day Consulting
The majority of students who receive special supports in school are
reported to have learning, attention, or organizational challenges.
Children may struggle with reading, writing or math, experience an
inability to stay on-task or have trouble meeting classroom expectations.
Parents often suspect that this isn’t just a child who needs to “try
harder.” Topics covered in this webinar include:
An explanation of learning disabilities, ADHD and executive function issues
Organizational skills and effective study habits for students
Strategies for parents to support their child’s success
*10. GCWS spring course announcements*
*Info: *link <https://wgs.mit.edu/subjects/>
GCWS is excited to announce our Spring 2017 courses. Applications are due
January 4, 2017. Some more information about the classes below:
WGS.S10 - Marginalized Masculinities
21H.983 - Gender
WGS.101 - Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies
WGS.190 - Black Matters: Introduction to Black Studies
WGS.S10 - Marginalized Masculinities
WGS.111 - Gender & Media Studies
WGS.151 - Gender, Health, & Society
WGS.231 - Writing about Race
WGS.229 - Race, Culture, & Gender in the U.S & Beyond: A Psychological
Perspective
WGS.225 - The Science of Race, Sex, & Gender
21L.435 - Queer Cinema
WGS.276 - Cultures of Computing
WGS.275 - Gender in Science, Technology, & Environment
*11. [GCWS] Call for Papers: 2017 GCWS Graduate Student Conference*
*Deadline:* January 6, 2017
*Register:* link <https://tufts.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a9IleHRX4giF0tD>
HE PERSONAL IS STILL POLITICAL:
CHALLENGING MARGINALIZATION THROUGH THEORY, ANALYSIS, & PRAXIS
 A Graduate Student Conference on Gender, Culture, Women & Sexuality
March 31 & April 1, 2017

In the late 1960s, the statement “the personal is political” emerged as a
central rallying cry for feminist activists. While salient before, it has
become all the more urgent in light of the 2016 United States election
results. Given this, the Consortium for Graduate Studies in Gender,
Culture, Women, and Sexuality (GCWS) is hosting a graduate student
conference, The Personal Is Still Political: Challenging Marginalization
through Theory, Analysis, & Praxis, to investigate how this slogan has
been, can be, or is now being mobilized as a concept for resistance by
marginalized groups   theoretically, analytically, and practically.
Thirty years ago, Audre Lorde remarked that “the absence of [race,
sexuality, class, and age] weakens any feminist discussion of the personal
and the political.” We build upon this inclusive declaration to examine the
diverse reach of state oppressions, violence, hegemonic intervention, and
marginality in the contemporary moment. We also aim to explore modes of
resistance to such repression. Some of the questions this conference seeks
to address include (but are not limited to):
• How have intersectional approaches to praxis reshaped this concept as a
useful tool for counter-hegemonic struggles?
• How do repressed groups and individuals enact or challenge “the personal
as political” in their daily, lived experiences?
•  How is this concept relevant to linkages between academia, activism, and
practice?
Topics to be explored in papers and presentations may include (but are not
limited to):
•  Activism (e.g., Black Lives Matter; the prison abolition movement; the
Standing Rock Protective Actions; abortion ban protests in Poland; support
for openly queer teenagers kicked out of their homes)
•  Legal policies (e.g., transphobic bathroom laws; work and family policy;
sexuality-based discrimination and policy; social welfare policies; labor
rights; treaty rights; the “We are All Amina Filali” movement in Morocco)
• Nationhood, globalization, and immigration (e.g., refugees and
displacement - Syrian refugee crisis; family and migration; persistent
Islamophobia and anti-Semitism; nationalism)
• Environmental issues and justice (e.g., climate change; resource
scarcity; pollution/toxic contamination - the Flint water crisis, the BP
oil spill)
•  Health issues (e.g., health care access; reproductive rights;
(dis)ability and accessibility; food access; the U.S. opioid crisis; global
health disparities)
• Theoretical interventions (e.g., intersectionality; queer theory;
postcolonial feminism; feminist psychoanalysis; FemCrit; settler
colonialism) as explored by scholars such as Butler (2009), Edelman (2004),
Evans-Winters & Esposito (2010), hooks (1984), Moraga & Anzaldua (1981),
Spivak (1992), Wolfe (1999), among others
We welcome proposals for papers and/or projects (i.e. paintings,
sculptures, film, performances, poetry/literature, songs) from graduate
students of all disciplines that explore issues of marginality, repression,
and resistance through the lenses of gender and/or sexuality.
************** Outside MIT **************

*12. [MASS AWIS] Winter Holiday Social & Volunteer Appreciation*
*When: *December 7th, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
*Where: *Hong Kong restaurant, 1238 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138
*Register:* link
<https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07edfil1nk1dd919d6&oseq=&c=&ch=>
Eat
Drink
and be Appreciated!
You are invited to join us for a fun-filled evening with games, prizes, and
great conversation!! You can also participate in our cookie & cookie recipe
exchange! Reunite with fellow AWIS members, meet, and network with the
Mentoring Circles Program!
MASS AWIS members $20 · Non-members $30
ACTIVE Volunteers (with coupon from your Committee) $10
*13. Common Purpose leadership programme*
*When: *January 17th - 20th, 2017
*Where:* The SOCH, Harvard University
*Apply:* link <https://commonpurpose.org/gle/boston>
The four-day programme is a unique opportunity for students (undergraduate
and graduate) to develop their leadership skills and Cultural Intelligence
(CQ) – the ability to cross divides and thrive in multiple cultures.
Participants are also given the opportunity to meet and network with
leaders from the private, public, and non-profit sectors in Boston such as:
the Boston Police Department, Microsoft, the Red Cross and the Boston
Globe. We are keen to involve some of your students in this year’s
programme.
*14.  ART+SCIENCE Field Studies Opportunity*
*When:* January 10-15, 2017
*Apply:* link <http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/island-life>
ISLAND LIFE: Tropical Field Studies of Art+Nature in Puerto Rico is a
hands-on, immersive, and project-based program that integrates biology and
art in the field, at various environments in Puerto Rico. The focus of the
program is to learn about Puerto Rico's diverse wildlife through artmaking
and field biology.  We travel to rainforests, dry forests, beach, coastal,
coral reef, mangrove, and mountain environments.  The program involves
multiple site-specific projects that integrate creativity, art and biology.
There are limited spaces available, and anyone interested in this travel
experience is highly encouraged to apply today! Please click on the links
for photos and more information, and don't hesitate to let me know if you
have any questions. Thank you for helping us to spread the word about this
unique opportunity!
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu