[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of April 18, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Apr 18 04:24:27 EDT 2016

*Send your ideas to: **gwamit-exec at mit.edu* <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

*Send your announcements to: **gwamit-sec at mit.edu* <gwamit-sec at mit.edu>

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

April 18, 2016

*========*

*IN BRIEF*

*========*

*GW at MIT:*

1. Apply to be GWAMIT Department Representatives!

*MIT:*

2. CityDays MIT2016 (Apr. 19)

3. [GSC] Recruiting Committee Co-Chairs (Apr. 20)

4. [MS&PC] Conversation Café (Apr. 20)

5. [MITWGS] Vision Reading Series presents Jennifer De Leon (Apr. 21)

6. Activist Research Methods in Science and Technology by Prof. Max
Liboiron (Apr. 22)

7. Join us for MenTe (Mujeres en Tecnología) Dinner Series (Apr. 27)

8. [MITWGS] Lunchtime talk: The Cost of Silence: Causes & Consequences of
Abortion Stigma (Apr. 27)

9. Effective Altruism Global X Boston Conference (Apr. 30)

10. MIT Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2016 (throughout Apr.)

11. MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series (now - May)

12. CTO/COO needed for ReVogue - Fashion/Retail Tech Startup

*Outside MIT:*

13. Science for everyone! Cambridge Science Festival (Apr. 15 - 24)

14. [MASS AWIS] Diverse Careers in Science Speed Networking Event (Apr. 22)

15. [HGWISE] SoulCycle Night (Apr. 28)

16. [MASS AWIS] The O2O2O Principle: Building Strategic Networks That Have
BIG Power (May. 12)

17. Student Mentorship Program for Computer Scientists & Engineers

***********************

Dear GW at MIT Members,

It has been a really busy week last week, and we’d like to thank you for
coming to our GWAMIT 2016 Empowerment Conference, and making it such a huge
success!

There are lots of other events going on around MIT this week. Check out the
announcement below for further details!

The GWAMIT Board

*=====================*

*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*=====================*

************** GW at MIT **************

*1. **Apply to be GWAMIT Department Representatives!*

*Apply:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uoexHi8Sx_YS-NS0ArZqR3dxlL08begaBEdmKVVuzR4/viewform?c=0&w=1>

Department representatives serve as a liaison between GWAMIT and members in
their home department. Semesterly funding is available for active
Department Representatives to hold an event for GWAMIT members in their
home departments. Please apply through the above link!

************** MIT **************

*2. **CityDays MIT2016*

*When:* Tuesday, April 19th

*Where: *Cambridge and Boston

*Info:* link <http://mit2016.mit.edu/together-service/citydays>

*Contact:* aprilcityday at mit.edu

-Join MIT in celebrating 100 years in Cambridge by volunteering for a few
hours at one of our community partner sites

-We're sending hundreds of MIT volunteers to over 30 volunteer sites with
community organizations across the Greater Boston area

-Open to students, faculty, staff, alumni, and MIT retired faculty and
staff!

-Sign up as an individual or with a group; we'll cover the cost of
transportation and organize logistics

-Learn more at http://mit2016.mit.edu/together-service/citydays

*3. [Graduate Student Council] Recruiting Committee Co-Chairs*

*When:* Wednesday, April 20th, 6:30pm

*Contact*: Arolyn Conwill, aconwill at mit.edu

*Chair the GSC's Academic, Research, and Careers (ARC) Committee*

ARC's repertoire typically includes career panels (working closely with the
Alumni Association), skills workshops (presentation, communication,
negotiation, etc), dissertation bootcamp, networking dinners, faculty
dinners, etc. ARC also administers the GSC's travel grant program and
institute awards. In addition, ARC is involved in advising policy decisions
and developing initiatives related to academic policy (academic advising,
research advising, resources for graduate students, etc).

ARC Chairs have an opportunity to impact grad student career development
opportunities and academic policy changes and to gain leadership
experience, and the resources currently available to ARC allow for
creativity and some experimentation in how to approach this. ARC Chairs are
voting members of the GSC's Executive Committee (made up of Officers and
Committee Chairs) as well as of the General Council.

The date for ARC elections has just been set for Wednesday (4/20) evening
at 6:30pm. Both co-chair positions are currently available.

*Chair the GSC's Housing and Community Affairs (HCA) Committee*

HCA covers a wide range of issues relating to graduate student quality of
life. This includes housing (on and off campus), healthcare care, mental
health resources, graduate student stipend level, family leave policies,
campus safety, sustainability, and relationships with the surrounding
community. For example, HCA's data-driven advocacy efforts are the reason
why your grad student stipend increases every year.

HCA Chairs have an opportunity to continue to improve resources available
to graduate students through campus-wide collaborations and advocacy
efforts. They also interface with MIT's administration to make sure that
the graduate student voice is included in policy changes, particularly with
respect to student services available on campus. HCA has historically
pioneered many new initiatives that have significantly improved graduate
student quality of life. HCA Chairs are voting members of the GSC's
Executive Committee (made up of Officers and Committee Chairs) as well as
of the General Council.

One chair position has already been filled, and upcoming HCA elections are
TBD but will likely happen within the next week or so.

Contact: Arolyn Conwill, GSC President-elect, aconwill at mit.edu

*4. **[MIT Spouses&Partners Connect] Conversation Café*

*When:* Wednesday, April 20th, 3:00pm - 5:00pm

*Where: *MIT Building E55, Eastgate Penthouse

Join us as we explore the questions that matter to us for the future of MIT
Spouses & Partners Connect and talk informally in small groups. Let's learn
from each other as we discuss how MIT Spouses & Partners Connect can best
embody our values. We welcome newcomers, long-time members and anyone who
cares about the MIT Spouses & Partners Connect community to the discussion.
Good listeners are needed too. No matter who we are, we all have something
to contribute. Babies and kids are welcome at this event. Babies and
children are welcome - free optional child care available.

*5. [MITWGS] Vision Reading Series presents Jennifer De Leon*

*When:* Thursday, April 21st, 5:00pm

*Where: *MIT Building 14S-100, Hayden Library Reading Room

Jennifer De Leon is the editor of Wise Latinas: Writers on Higher
Education. Her story “Home Movie” was chosen as the 2015 One City, One
Story by the Boston Book Festival. Other work has appeared in Ploughshares,
Ms., Poets & Writers, Guernica, Best Women’s Travel Writing, and elsewhere.
De Leon is currently Children’s -Writer-in-Residence at the Boston Public
Library, where she is completing a young adult novel, Volar.

Vision Reading Series is presented by MIT Women’s and Gender Studies and
PEN New England. Co-sponsored by CMS/W, Literature, and MIT Libraries.

*Reception & Refreshments provided.*

*6. Activist Research Methods in Science and Technology by Prof. Max
Liboiron*

*When:* Friday, April 22nd, 4:00pm

*Where: *MIT Building E51-345

Sometimes our research is driven by wanting to do good in the world, make
an impact, and create social or material change. There are research methods
and methodologies developed specifically for action that can help us
contribute to those changes. Dr. Max Liboiron, Director of Civic Laboratory
for Environmental Action Research (CLEAR), will lead a talk and discussion
about how research can foster change not only after data has been collected
and analyzed or after prototypes are complete, but during the entire
research and development process.

Dr. Liboiron is an Assistant Professor in Sociology, Geography, and
Environmental Sciences at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Liboiron's
research focuses on how harmful yet invisible threats such as disasters,
toxicants, and marine plastics become visible in science and activism, and
how these methods of representation relate to action. Liboiron is director
of Civic Laboratory for Environmental Action Research (CLEAR), which
creates open source, feminist, and citizen science technologies for
monitoring plastic pollution, and is the managing editor of Discard
Studies, a public online forum for audiences interested in research on
waste and pollution.

This event is made possible with the support of Graduate Student Life
Grants and the GSC Collaboration Fund. Hosted by the MIT Waste Alliance,
MIT Water Club, GSC Sustainability Subcommittee, and Canadians Club.

*Refreshments provided!*

*7. Join us for MenTe (Mujeres en Tecnología) Dinner Series *

*When:* Wednesday, April 27th, 7:00 pm

*Where: *MIT Building N52-337 (IDC Buidling IDM Lab)

*Contact:* mente at mit.edu

*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17oLY2VVaaqNJO7o_oPd5iZmpcyzhoEe7nEFH3GnZHLk/viewform?c=0&w=1>

MenTe at MIT is a new initiative starting this spring! We are aiming to
create a community where Latin Grad Women at MIT and nearby know each other
and can have further impact to our region. Join us! We will be looking
forward to share an awesome set of dinner series and insights.

*Funded by Graduate Student Life Grants

*8. [MITWGS & GHMHI] Lunchtime talk: The Cost of Silence: Causes &
Consequences of Abortion Stigma in the U.S. & Around the World*

*When:* Wednesday, April 27th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm

*Where:* MIT Building 14E-304

*RSVP:* wgs at mit.edu

Please join WGS and GHMHI for a lunchtime talk by Dr. Elizabeth Janiak: The
Cost of Silence: Causes and Consequences of Abortion Stigma in the U.S. &
Around the World on Wednesday, April 27th, 14E-304, 12:00-1:30.

Please RSVP with dietary restrictions to wgs at mit.edu

*9. Effective Altruism Global X Boston Conference (EAGxBoston) *

*When:* Saturday, April 30th, 12:30pm – 6:30pm

*Where:* MIT Building E51, Wong Auditorium

*Info:* link <http://www.eagxboston.com/>

*RSVP:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/effective-altruism-global-x-boston-2016-tickets-23606969080>

Effective Altruism Global X Boston is a half-day conference featuring
talks, panels, and networking opportunities for anyone interested in doing
the most good possible with the resources we have. The program will address
the major effective altruist cause areas of global poverty and development,
animal agriculture, and global catastrophic risk, as well as movement
concerns like conducting research, building community, and choosing a
career direction.

Speakers and panelists include:

Dean Karlan (Yale, Innovations for Poverty Action)

Joshua Greene (Harvard, Moral Cognition Lab)

Rachel Glennerster (MIT, Poverty Action Lab)

Piali Mukhopadhyay (GiveDirectly)

Bruce Friedrich (The Good Food Institute)

Julia Wise (The Centre for Effective Altruism)

Ian Ross (Hampton Creek, Facebook)

*10. [MITWGS] MIT Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2016*

*When:* throughout April

*Where:* various

*Info:* link <http://elephant.mit.edu/>

MIT Sexual Assault Awareness Month is April this year. There are a host of
events planned for the month, ranging from movie screenings and workshops
to VPR advocate drop-in hours and survivor-only events. Check the website
http://elephant.mit.edu/, up and running with more details on each of the
events. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with any questions.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence
of our friends.

*11. **MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series*

*When:* now - May

*Info:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Spring
2016 Seminar Series. Our presenters, who are experts in their fields, will
share research-based strategies, tips, and information on more than 25
topics, including changing how you respond to stress; supporting your
child’s emotional and intellectual development; understanding the U.S.
college admissions process; navigating life as a young professional; and
learning how to help an aging family member.

All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required.

We believe these seminars and workshops will help MIT community members
find better balance in their professional and personal lives, and
appreciate your help in communicating this information to the broader MIT
community.

*12. **CTO/COO needed for ReVogue - Fashion/Retail Tech Startup*

*Contact:* Anesha Agarwal, anesha at mit.edu

ReVogue is a b2c startup, similar to Rent the Runway, but for ethnic
designer wear. ReVogue will start with the Indian-American market, where
there is a huge opportunity to revolutionize the access to and utility of
designer garments. If you are interested in learning more about this idea,
or have a background in Operations / Logistics / Supply Chain or Back-end /
Front-end Development, please contact Anesha Agarwal (MBA 2016,
anesha at mit.edu).

************** Outside MIT **************

*13. **Science for everyone! Cambridge Science Festival*

*When:* Friday, April 15th – Sunday, April 24th

*Where:* various

*Info:* link
<http://web.mit.edu/museum/programs/festival.html?utm_source=MIT+Museum&utm_campaign=71dc2fbaed-2016+-+April&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_84e5098f61-71dc2fbaed-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&ct=t%282016+-+April%29>

"What better place to celebrate all things scientific than right here in
Cambridge, home to many of the greatest scientists and engineers in the
world," says festival founder and MIT Museum director John Durant.

The Cambridge Science Festival is an annual 10-day celebration of science,
technology, engineering, art and math in Cambridge and New England and the
global impact of those endeavors. Every spring, the Cambridge Science
Festival makes science accessible, engaging and fun for everyone through
multifaceted, multicultural events. Our founding collaborators are MIT,
Harvard University, the City of Cambridge and the Museum of Science.

*14. **[MASS AWIS] Diverse Careers in Science Speed Networking Event*

*When:* Friday, April 22nd, 5:45pm - 9:00pm

*Where:* 3rd Floor Atrium, 43 Vassar St, Cambridge (MIT Building 46)

*Info:* link <http://www.cambridgesciencefestival.org/Home.aspx>

*Register:* link
<http://mass-awis.org/exploring-career-options-in-stem-speed-networking-friday-april-22nd/>

This event is for women and men within the scientific community (undergrad
to early career), interested in exploring diverse career options in
science. Participants will have the opportunity to interact with 10-15
experienced individuals who will give insights into their chosen
professions and career trajectories. The event will be held in a
speed-networking fashion with participants switching tables every 15
minutes for a total of 5 sessions. Please note this is not a career fair,
you may exchange business cards.

Projected Career areas: Consulting, Patent Law, Research & Development,
Publishing, Business Development, Project Management, Medical Science
Liaison, Sales/Marketing, Academia, Statistics, Core Facility management.

*Agenda: *

5:45-6:00 pm  Registration and Networking over light fare

6:00-6:30 pm  Introduction and instructions

6:30-8:00 pm  Speed Networking (5-6 15 min sessions)

8:00-8:55 pm  General Networking, Desserts, Conclusion

*Fees:*

Early Bird Special: General Admission $20 • MASS AWIS members $10

After April 1st: $25 and $12, respectively

*15. [HGWISE] Sign Up for HGWISE SoulCycle Night*

*When:* Thursday, April 28th, 7:30pm

*Where:* Beacon Hill

*Contact:* hgwise at gmail.com

*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18kBcze2A-i1n8OsZ_zAU45_ePRZS0svoyH9vkFaNbZ8/viewform>

HGWISE is excited to announce that we have organized a free evening of spin
at SoulCycle in Beacon Hill on Thursday, April 28th at 7:30 pm. If you are
available and would like to sign up, please do so here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18kBcze2A-i1n8OsZ_zAU45_ePRZS0svoyH9vkFaNbZ8/viewform>
.

Attendance at this event is capped and we will be assigning bikes on a
first come first serve basis. You will receive an email from us with
details should you receive a bike or be waitlisted. Please email
hgwise at gmail.com with questions.

*16. The O2O2O Principle: Building Strategic Networks That Have BIG Power
featuring Mari Anne Snow*

*When:* Thursday, May. 12th, 5:30pm – 8:00pm

*Where:* AbbVie Bioresearch Center, 100 Research Drive, Worcester, MA 01605

*Contact: *Kristie Kapinas, Kristina.kapinas at gmail.com

*Register:* link
<http://mass-awis.org/the-o2o2o-principle-building-strategic-networks-that-have-big-power-thursday-may-12th/>

This event is our annual Spring Social co-hosted by MASS AWIS and WPI AWIS
Affiliate. It is geared for women and men within the scientific community
(from undergrads to mid-career levels) who are interested in developing
their strategic networking skills in an interactive workshop.

Networks are an essential element to a successful career in any field.
Today we are fortunate to have great face-to-face networking opportunities
as well as easy to use digital tools that can extend relationships beyond
an initial meeting. No more passive business card exchanges, participants
at this workshop will learn modern techniques for building and expanding
their networks to support their career goals.

Mari Anne Snow is founder of Sophaya, a start-up dedicated to building
modern products and services for organizations with virtual teams and
remote professionals. Mari Anne has experienced first-hand the critical
power of a well-cultivated network and she is a strong advocate of
investing time and effort to build and maintain one for long term career
success.

Refreshments will be served. Registration is limited to 60 people.
Registration is FREE, but is limited to Abbvie Employees, MASS AWIS, and
AWIS WPI Affiliate MEMBERS ONLY. Parking is available on site at no cost.
Please bring a valid ID.

Please email Kristie Kapinas (MASS AWIS Events West Co-Chair) at
Kristina.kapinas at gmail.com with any questions.

*17. Student Mentorship Program for Computer Scientists & Engineers*

*Survey: *link <http://bit.ly/1Wfppn8>

National Engineering Mentors Organization, is considering launching a peer
to peer mentorship program for computer scientists and engineers on campus.
The program pairs first and second year students with third and fourth year
students in their major to help them excel both inside and outside the
classroom. If you’d be interested in being a mentor, mentee, student
leader, or just in learning more about the program, follow this link to the
60 second survey at: http://bit.ly/1Wfppn8

****************************

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

*Blog: **http://gwamit.blogspot.com* <http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>

*Twitter: **http://twitter.com/gwamitweb* <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

*Facebook: **http://www.facebook.com/gwamit*