[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of May 18, 2015

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue May 19 04:12:20 EDT 2015

Dear GW at MIT Members,

Enjoy the beautiful spring weather, and good luck to everyone taking
exams!

The GWAMIT Board

*Send your ideas to:* gwamit-exec at mit.edu
*Send your announcements to:* gwamit-sec at mit.edu
*Visit us:* http://gwamit.org

*======== IN BRIEF========*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Feedback for the GWAMIT Empowerment Conference: Speak Out, Speak Up
2. Videos from Fall Leadership Conference Available Online

*MIT:*
3. [MITeri] Donate to Nepali Relief Fund
4. MIT Work-Life Center’s Spring Seminar Series
5. [Cheney Room] User Survey
6. [Cheney Room] Film Screening (May 19th)
7. Submit Nominations for the School of Science Teaching Prizes (May 29th)
8. Celebrate with MIT at Boston Pride (June 13th)
9. [GCWS] 2015-2016 Graduate Seminars Announced (August 24th)

*Outside MIT:*
10. [MASS AWIS] Staying Focused in a Busy World (May 27th)
11. Mina's List Women Startup Competition (May 29th)
12 Futures Without Violence Campus Leadership Program (May 31st)
13. NuVu Job Opportunities this Summer 2015 (Deadline: May 31st)
14. [MASS AWIS] The Negotiation Tool Kit (June 10th)

*====================FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS====================*

*********** GW at MIT ***********

*1. Feedback for the GWAMIT Empowerment Conference: Speak Out, Speak Up!*

Thank you to anyone who attended the Spring Empowerment Conference last
week!  If you have any further comments, feedback, or suggestions for the
next conference, please email gwamit-exec at mit.edu to let us know!

*2. Videos from Fall Leadership Conference Now Available Online!*

Did you miss our 2014 Leadership Conference? Never fear - ODGE generously
captured several events on video <http://odge.mit.edu/development/prodepot/>.
Our blog post
<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/2015/04/leadership-conference-2014-recap.html>
also recaps the week-long conference's events.

*********** MIT ***********

*3. [MITeri] Donate to Nepali Relief Fund*
*Donate*: link
<http://www.gofundme.com/MITeriNepalEQ?fb_action_ids=10206345938748103&fb_action_types=og.shares&fb_ref=m_d_tyhttp://www.gofundme.com/MITeriNepalEQ?fb_action_ids=10206345938748103&fb_action_types=og.shares&fb_ref=m_d_ty>

On April 25th, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck Nepal. The death toll has
risen above 4000, and still many more are injured.

MITeri, a Nepali group on campus, has set up a relief fund for donations,
which will be sent to Help Nepal Network <http://www.helpnepal.net/>, a
non-profit organization involved in  immediate disaster relief on ground.
Any donation amount will be highly appreciated.

*4. MIT Work-Life Center’s Spring Seminar Series*
*When and Where:* Various – see link for details
*Registration: *link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Spring
Seminar Series. Our presenters, who are experts in their fields, will share
research-based strategies, tips, and information on more than 25 topics,
including eldercare; mindfulness to reduce stress and maintain focus;
supporting your school-age child’s emotional and intellectual development;
U.S. college admissions; cultivating productive relationships at work;
navigating life as a young professional; and creating a successful,
meaningful, and fulfilling next stage of life.

All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required.

*5. [Cheney Room] Cheney Room User Survey*
*Survey*: link <http://studentvoice.com/miot/cheneyroomsurvey15>

We know that you are all in the midst of studying for finals or preparing
for the summer or, if you are graduating, preparing for your next adventure
after MIT, but we hope that you will take a few minutes to complete this
survey about the Cheney Room. We last completed a user survey like this in
Spring 2012, so your input and feedback will be very valuable as we move
forward. Whether you use the Cheney Room often, casually, or have only used
it once, all feedback will be helpful!

If you'd like to reserve the Cheney Room for an event, please fill out this
form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fcnXMjXN68y1MwiFeDi0qLSTnH059bpaDgt_f034_Qk/viewform>
!

*6. [Cheney Room] Trucker Film Screening*
*When*: Tuesday, May 19, 6:00 PM
*Where*: Cheney Room (3-310 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=3>)

Originally part of the IAP film series on Gender and Car Films, we were
unable to show it because of the snow! Now, come take a break from studying
to relax and watch the film.

90 minutes, 2008. From IMDB: A trucker, leading a life free of depth and on
the way to nowhere, is forced to make a decision about her aggressive loner
11-year-old son whom she openly deserted ten years previously.  Movie
trailer (rated R) here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3xNF4-B_9E>.

*7. Submit Nominations for the 2015 School of Science Teaching Prizes*
*Deadline*: Friday, May 29
*Submit*: link <http://science.mit.edu/teaching-prize-nomination-form>

You are invited to nominate faculty members for the 2015 School of Science
Teaching Prizes. These are given for both Undergraduate and Graduate
Education.

The Teaching Prize for Undergraduate Education recognizes outstanding
teaching in undergraduate subjects with large enrollments (such as those
that satisfy the General Institute Requirements in science), as well as in
upper-level science subjects with smaller enrollments.

For the Teaching Prize for Graduate Education, preference will be given to
nominees who teach mainstream subjects in which fundamental principles of
the relevant fields are presented. Such courses typically provide the basis
for advanced education and research and prepare students for professional
careers.

You can nominate a professor teaching a GIR, a fundamental or more
specialized Science subject. Science subjects are Courses 5 (Chemistry), 7
(Biology), 9 (Brain and Cognitive Sciences), 8 (Physics), 12 (Earth,
Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences) and 18 (Mathematics).

Nomination letters from faculty members or students for either award are
welcome. Nominations are EASY AND QUICK TO SUBMIT: simply fill out the short
online nomination form
<http://science.mit.edu/teaching-prize-nomination-form> by the deadline on *May
29, 2015*. Although one strong letter is sufficient, additional letters of
support are useful. You may want to get fellow students or colleagues to
submit supporting nomination for your candidate. You can use one form or
multiple forms to do this.

Your nominations are really important! Please help us recognize teaching
excellence in Science and at MIT. For additional information please
contact: Annie Lee (ayl at mit.edu, 253-5951).

*8. Celebrate with MIT at Boston Pride!*
*When*: Saturday, June 13, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
*Where*: Copley Square (Boylston Street) to Boston City Hall Plaza
*RSVP*: email <afran at mit.edu>

This June MIT will have a group marching in the Boston PRIDE Parade, and
YOU are invited to join in! Show your MIT pride at this year's annual
parade. All MIT students, staff, faculty, and alumni are welcome!

The march is 2.7 miles from Copley Square to Boston City Hall Plaza.  If
you are unable to walk but would still like to participate, there is a
trolley that will be a part of the parade (please RSVP trolley needs to
afran at mit.edu).

 Not up for Marching?
You are also more than welcome to come cheer us on from the sidelines
(there will be a small group meeting with an MIT sign with the You Are
Welcome Here logo at the corner of Charles St and Beacon, on the Boston
Commons side).

We have FREE T-Shirts available (the same as last year's design so please
recycle) and would really like to have everyone get one who is marching, so
please email Abigail at afran at mit.edu on or before 5pm on June 9th with the
subject line "Pride Parade RSVP and T-Shirt Size" and provide the following
information:

1) Your name
2) MIT Affiliation
3) Your email address
4) "Female cut" or "Male cut" style - so sorry this is labeled in a binary
way!
5) Size

If you have any questions, please send us an email and we would be glad to
help you!

*9. [GCWS] 2015-2016 Graduate Seminars*
*Deadline:* August 24, 2015 and January 4, 2016
*Info:* link <http://web.mit.edu/gcws/courses/current-upcoming-courses.html>

We’re glad to announce our course offerings for 2015-2016.  Please share
this information with your students and colleagues!

GCWS graduate seminars are open to students across disciplines at all GCWS
member institutions
<http://web.mit.edu/gcws/about/member-institutions+programs.html>. Masters
and PhD students are eligible to apply as well as advanced undergraduate
students doing work in a discipline related to the course topics. More
information is available below and on our website:
http://web.mit.edu/gcws/courses/current-upcoming-courses.html

Our current course offerings include:

*FALL 2015*

   - Workshop for Dissertation Writers in Women’s and Gender Studies
   - Understanding the Pornographic and the Obscene
   - American Motherhood and Mothering: Theory, Discourse, Practice, and
   Change

*SPRING 2016*

   - Feminist Inquiry
   - The Secret Sex Life of Anthropological Artifacts: Gender and Race in
   the Museum

There is an application process for GCWS courses.  Applications are
accepted until the enrollment deadline and are reviewed by the seminar
instructors immediately following.  Students will be notified of their
final acceptance two to three days after the deadline. Students may apply
after the deadline, pending available space in the class.

2015-2016 Application Deadlines:
Fall application deadline: August 24, 2015**
Spring application deadline: January 4, 2016**
**Rolling admission until course is filled

Please call or email the GCWS at gcws at mit.edu for more information about
application procedures, member institution cross-registration policies, or
credit questions, and visit our web site: http://web.mit.edu/GCWS

*********** Outside MIT ***********

*10. [MASS AWIS and Novartis Cambridge] Staying Focused in a Busy World
with Productivity Expert Lorena Prime*
*When: *Wednesday, May 27, 5:45 - 8:00 PM
*Where:* Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, 220 Massachusetts
Ave, Cambridge, MA
*Register: *link <http://www.massawis.org/LorenaPrimeWorkshop>

5:45 - 6:30 pm Registration, Networking and Snacks
6:30 - 8:00 pm Seminar and Workshop

Lorena Prime (Founder, www.ClearlyOrganizedLife.com) worked for high
profile companies before starting her own so she could focus on her love of
efficiency and employee productivity. She teaches life-long time management
and organizing skills to help people get more out of every day. This event
is a unique opportunity to learn from her during a workshop that will be
tailored to your needs after you answer her survey.

Register at www.massawis.org/LorenaPrimeWorkshop
MASS AWIS members $10 · Non-members $20
NIBR associates FREE** (**Registration is still required and must bring
valid ID to event)

*Register before May 5th for a chance to win a copy of *Black Hole Focus**

To learn more about MASS AWIS and other upcoming AWIS events, please visit:
www.massawis.org
Join AWIS to save money on events and to support our work.

Co-hosted by Novartis Cambridge
*.*

*11. Mina's List Women Startup Competition*
*Deadline*: Friday, May 29, 11:59 PM
*Info*: link <http://www.minaslist.org/>
*Donate*: link <https://www.crowdrise.com/MinasList-WomenStartup2015>

*Tanya Henderson spoke at the GWAMIT Spring Empowerment Conference (Friday
speaker). Her organization, Mina's List, is part of a fundraising
competition. Please consider helping out if ou can! *

I am so excited to let you know that Mina’s List <http://www.minaslist.org/>
has made it through the first round of a Women Startup Competition
sponsored by Crowdrise. We have already started building momentum with this
campaign, and if we stay in the top 25 for overall funds raised, we’ll be
invited to compete for the grand prize of $50,000. This would be huge for
Mina’s List and our work. It would mean we could expand programming beyond
our Afghanistan Pilot Project to other regions of the world. We have
already had requests for Mina’s List services in several countries across
the globe.

Mina’s List needs your help. Every dollar you *donate *or* help us raise*
will get us closer to our goal. It's quick and easy and there are *two ways*
to help.

*If you can donate,* it takes 1 minute. Go to the Mina’s List Crowdrise page
<https://www.crowdrise.com/MinasList-WomenStartup2015> and give what you
can. Thank you in advance!

*If you want to ask your friends and family to donate*, it takes 3 minutes
to set up a team member page, and then all you need to do is send an email
similar to this one (personalized of course) to all your friends and family
who might give to a cause that you care about. Just visit the Mina’s List
Crowdrise page <https://www.crowdrise.com/MinasList-WomenStartup2015> and
then click “Fundraise for This Startup.” In minutes, you can share your
enthusiasm and the link to the Mina’s List Crowdrise page
<https://www.crowdrise.com/MinasList-WomenStartup2015> with everyone you
know. Imagine the impact we can all have together if you get your
colleagues, friends, and family to contribute to Mina’s List. Thank you for
taking this extra step to help spread the word.

Every contribution makes a big difference, no matter how small.

Please read our 'Story' on the Mina’s List Crowdrise home page
<https://www.crowdrise.com/MinasList-WomenStartup2015>-- it’s short and
could be helpful if you want to explain our work to others.

We are super excited about this competition and we know you are a fan of
our work. Thank you for your continued support and for helping us to bring
our expertise, training model, and resources to the women who will change
the world.

*12. Futures Without Violence Campus Leadership Program*
*Deadline*: Sunday, May 31
*Info*: link
<http://www.futureswithoutviolence.org/colleges-universities/campus-leadership-program/>
*Apply*: email <lsohn at futureswithoutviolence.org>

Futures Without Violence is launching its third year of the Campus
Leadership Program and is looking for applicants! Campus leaders will
develop and implement an organizing plan around key FUTURES programs to
address dating and domestic violence, reproductive coercion, sexual
violence and sexual assault through policy, curricula and community
engagement.

Campus Leaders will benefit from the guidance of FUTURES staff and
collaboration with other campus leaders from across the country, in
addition to access to FUTURES’ resources and materials, regular
knowledge-sharing amongst peers and participation in a robust learning
community of campus activists.

The program is open to medical, nursing, public health, social work,
psychology, health care administration or other health care-related
graduate students (includes law, media, policy, or business students with a
health care focus).

Campus Leaders:

   - Will receive a $500 stipend.
   - Must commit to five hours of work per week; hours may be increased to
   support class credit/internship requirements.
   - Must be available to travel to San Francisco to participate in two
   convenings with other Campus Leaders. (August 5-6 2015 training and
   orientation and March 2016 meet-up)

Applications are due May 31. For additional questions please contact
lsohn at futureswithoutviolence.org.

*13. NuVu Job Opportunities this Summer 2015*
*Deadline:* Sunday, May 31
*Where:* NuVu Studio, Cambridge, MA
*Program Info:* https://cambridge.nuvustudio.com/
*Job Info:* https://cambridge.nuvustudio.com/studios/jobs#tab-jobs

NuVu is an innovation school for middle and high school students whose
pedagogy is based on the studio model and geared around multi-disciplinary
collaborative projects. We have a number of job positions available for our
NuVu Summer 2015 Program for undergraduate students, graduate students,
PhDs and alumni. If you are passionate about innovative teaching, enjoy
working with young students on creative ideas, and have expertise to share
in a problem-solving environment, then you might be a great addition to the
team!

*14. [MASS AWIS] The Negotiation Tool Kit*
*When*: Wednesday, June 10, 6:00 - 8:30 PM
*Where*: The Broad Institute, Monadnock Room (415 Main St, Cambridge)
*Register*: link <http://www.massawis.org/SalaryNegotiationWorkshop2015>

Looking for a job and wondering how to negotiate the salary? Have a job and
want to re-negotiate? This highly interactive workshop focuses on the
nuts-and-bolts of negotiation and is designed to help current and future
employees navigate negotiations with ease and confidence.

Global career strategist Sarah Cardozo Duncan (founder:
http://careerstrategist.com/) is a highly regarded speaker and workshop
leader. In 2003, she was recognized by Boston Magazine as one of the 100
most powerful women in Boston. Her commitment and dedication to helping
scientists transform their career paths earned her the 2014 MASS AWIS
Mentor of Excellence Award.

Agenda:
6:00 - 6:30 Registration & Networking
6:30 - 8:00 Seminar & Workshop
8:00 - 8:30 Networking

To register, visit www.massawis.org/SalaryNegotiationWorkshop2015

MASS AWIS and Broad Members $5, Non-members $10
Register before June 3rd for a chance to win an exciting prize!

To learn more about MASS AWIS and other upcoming events, please visit
www.massawis.org

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*
*Visit us:* http://gwamit.org
*Blog:* http://gwamit.blogspot.com
*Twitter:* http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
*Facebook:* http://www.facebook.com/gwamit