[GWAMIT] Announcements Week of 10/20/2013

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 20 13:34:41 EDT 2014

Dear GW at MIT Members,

Don't miss the GWAMIT Fall General Board Meeting on October 21st and the GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference next week!

Find all the information about other upcoming events below.

If you have any events or announcements to share with the GW at MIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu.

The GWAMIT Board

Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GW at MIT:
1. GWAMIT Fall General Board Meeting (October 21st 2014 at 6PM)
2. GWAMIT Fall Leadership conference (October 27-31)

MIT:
3. MITALY: Italian Dessert Night 2014 (October 23rd, 8-10pm)
4. Film Screening: Anita: Speaking Truth to Power (November 5, 7 pm)

Outside MIT:
5. Rocket Fuel Webinar: How Consumer Exposure to Destination Marketing Affects Travel Bookings (October 30, 2014 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. PDT)
6. J.P. Morgan Quantitative Research networking Reception (November 5, 6:00pm - 8:00pm)
7. TransH4ck Boston: Trans* Identity, Technology, and Entrepreneurship (November 14-16th)

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

********** GW at MIT **********

1. GWAMIT Fall General Board Meeting

When: Tuesday, October 21st 2014 at 6PM
Where: 32-124 (first floor of Stata bldg.)
RSVP: RSVP

The GWAMIT Fall General Board Meeting will take place October 21st, 2014 in 32-124. This is a chance to connect with other GW at MIT members & leaders about upcoming opportunities and discuss the topics that are relevant to the graduate women community.

Dinner will be served at 5:45pm. We hope to see you there!

2. GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference
When: October 27-31

GWAMIT fall leadership conference is starting soon, and we'd like to invite you to our events!  This year's conference theme is 'Stepping Out: Leading in our Community' and we have many exciting speakers related to leadership and public service. More details are on our website: bit.ly/gwamitlead, and below. The conference is open to everyone, so please invite others you think might be interested!

Opening Keynote
Monday 10/27
Jenn Gustetic (Executive Office of the President, Office of Science and Technology Policy; MIT TPP '07)
5:30-6:30 in 32-155
Reception to follow
RSVP: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/opening-keynote-tickets-13138637017?ref=ebtn

Education Panel
Tuesday 10/28
Featuring Wendy Cebula (President/COO of EdX), Kimberly Bryant (Founder of Black Girls Code), and Maureen Alphonse-Charles (SVP and COO of The Partnership, Inc.)
5:30-6:30pm in 32-155
Reception to follow
RSVP: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/education-panel-tickets-13139208727?ref=ebtn

Implicit Bias Workshop
Wednesday 10/29
Run by Carlee Hawkins (Center for Decision Research at the University of Chicago and researcher with Project Implicit)
Co-hosted by SWIM and ICEO
Dinner served at 5:30pm
Workshop from 6-8pm in 32-155
RSVP: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/implicit-bias-workshop-registration-13138482555?ref=ebtn

Keynote Speaker
Thursday 10/30
Susana Malcorra (Chef de Cabinet, United Nations)
5:30-6:30 in 32-155
Reception to follow
RSVP: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/keynote-address-susana-malcorra-tickets-13139619957?ref=ebtn

Status of Women: Past, Present, Future
Friday 10/31
Featuring Chancellor Cynthia Barnhart, Dean Christine Ortiz, Kamilla Tekiela & Caroline Chin, ’16
Screening of a short documentary on the 1999 report on the status of women, produced by MIT Video
Co-hosted by SWIM
12-1pm in W20-307
Lunch served during the event
RSVP: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/status-of-women-past-present-and-future-tickets-13139999091?ref=ebtn

********** MIT **********

3. MITALY: Italian Dessert Night 2014
When: Thursday, October 23rd, 8-10pm
Where: Cafeteria Stata Center

Join MITaly at this years' edition of the Italian Dessert Night. Come to the STATA Center and taste the sweet specialties of all different regions!

We are hoping to see you all there!

4. Film Screening: Anita: Speaking Truth to Power
When: Wednesday, November 5, 7 pm
Where: MIT, Building 4 Room 370
Contact: lanacook at mit.edu

he Graduate Consortium in Women’s Studies at MIT invites you to a film screening of Anita: Speaking Truth to Power on Wednesday November 5, 7 pm, at MIT Building 4 Room 370.

The film screening of Anita (2013) will be followed by a panel discussion featuring: Dr. Evelynn Hammonds, Professor of the History of Science and African and African American Studies at Harvard University, and Leena Akhtar, Doctoral Candidate, History of Science, Harvard University.

About Anita (2013)

"Anita Hill's graphic testimony was a turning point for gender equality in the U.S. and ignited a political firestorm about sexual misconduct and power in the workplace that resonates still today. She has become an American icon, empowering millions of women and men around the world to stand up for equality and justice.

Against a backdrop of sex, politics, and race, ANITA reveals the intimate story of a woman who spoke truth to power. Directed by Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Freida Mock, the film is both a celebration of Anita Hill's legacy and a rare glimpse into her private life with friends and family, many of whom were by her side that fateful day 22 years ago. Anita Hill courageously speaks openly and intimately for the first time about her experiences that led her to testify before the Senate and the obstacles she faced in simply telling the truth. She also candidly discusses what happened to her life and work in the 22 years since." - Read more on the film website.

All events are free and open to the public.  This public event is hosted in conjunction with the Graduate Consortium in Women’s Studies' Fall 2014 course Gender, Health, and Marginalization taught by the GCWS faculty team Norma Meras Swenson, Chris Bobel, and Silvia Domínguez.

 Questions? Contact lanacook at mit.edu.

4. Girls Day @the MIT Museum
When: November 8, 12pm-4pm
Where: MIT Museum

The Museum has invited Girl Scouts in the eastern Massachusetts region to participate in holography workshops which our Museum Educators will teach during the day. From noon until 4pm we have invited organizations to facilitate hands-on demonstration and activities. We would love if your organization could volunteer and organize an activity for the day.

Last year we had more than 100 girls attend the both days during November and May. It would be great if we could have representations of women in science and engineering from around campus. Please let me know if your group would be willing to volunteer time during the day.

********** Outside MIT **********

5. Rocket Fuel Webinar: How Consumer Exposure to Destination Marketing Affects Travel Bookings
When: October 30, 2014 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. PDT.
Sign up: here

You are invited to attend our upcoming webinar, Putting Heads in Beds: Measuring and Optimizing Outcomes in Destination Marketing. Based on a study using a sample of destination marketing and OTA/Hotel-marketing initiatives run with Rocket Fuel in 2014, our marketing research team was able to identify how consumer exposure to destination marketing affected bookings on those sites, the duration of stay, and the amount spent.

In this webinar, we will show you how our findings reveal the synergy between destination marketing and online travel booking, as well as methods for optimizing the consumer path-to-purchase for travel advertisers on both sides of the equation.

6. J.P. Morgan Quantitative Research networking Reception
When: Wednesday, November 5, 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Where: Details will be shared with confirmed attendees only
Open to: Masters and PhD students interested in summer opportunities in Quantitative Research
RSVP by: Clicking Here and submitting your resume by Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Everyone has different perspectives, experiences and qualities. It's what makes them an individual. But one of your particular talents is going help you make a real impact early on. You'll be part of one of the largest teams on Wall Street - one that's proven its value, time and time again. It'll see you get to know the industry and its macroeconomic trends inside and out and provide the insight and edge we're known for. As important, you'll be surrounded by great people to learn from and who are keen to support you.
It's set to give you more mobility, more choices and more ways to contribute than you could ever imagine. Visit our website to find out more.

http://careers.jpmorgan.com/student/jpmorgan/careers

7. TransH4ck Boston: Trans* Identity, Technology, and Entrepreneurship
When: November 14-16th
Where Harvard

We are finally bringing our hackathon and speaker series to the east coast!

In partnership with Harvard Innovation Lab, Trans*H4CK BOSTON will address the conversations on diversity in tech and entrepreneurship that continue to ignore the contributions of trans* people.

Over the course of a weekend, developers, designers, hackers, and social justice advocates of all genders will come together to create technology and celebrate proud trans* leaders who are shaping innovation in tech and social entrepreneurship.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit