[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 10/13/2014

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 13 13:24:01 EDT 2014

Dear GW at MIT Members,

Happy Columbus Day!

Interesting fact: Columbus was Italian, and today we celebrate Columbus' arrival in the Americas, which happened on October 12, 1492. Most importantly, this occurrence is celebrated not only in the U.S., but also in many Latin American counties, in Spain, in Italy, ad in the "Little Italys" around the world. Here at MIT, there are many Columbus: brave explorers of various fields of knowledge. Like Columbus, we should pursue our dreams without being afraid of defeat: a toast to all of us!

Find all the information about other upcoming events below.

If you have any events or announcements to share with the GW at MIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu.

The GWAMIT Board

Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GW at MIT:
1. GWAMIT Fall General Board Meeting (October 21st 2014 at 6PM)
2. GWAMIT Fall Leadership conference: save the date! (October 27-31)
3. Career Engineering 101 - How to find the career you really want... and have the guts to go get it! (October 16, 5:30PM)

MIT:
4. Girls Day @the MIT Museum (November 8, 12pm-4pm)

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

********** GW at MIT **********

1. GWAMIT Fall General Board Meeting

When: Tuesday, October 21st 2014 at 6PM
Where: 32-124 (first floor of Stata bldg.)
RSVP: RSVP

The GWAMIT Fall General Board Meeting will take place October 21st, 2014 in 32-124. This is a chance to connect with other GW at MIT members & leaders about upcoming opportunities and discuss the topics that are relevant to the graduate women community.

Dinner will be served at 5:45pm. We hope to see you there!

2. GWAMIT Fall Leadership conference: save the date!
When: October 27-31

The GWAMIT Fall Leadership conference will take place October 27-31, 2014. We hope to see you there! If you are interested in helping to plan the conference, please contact Emily Mackevicius (elm at mit.edu) or Mallory Sheth (mmbounds at mit.edu).

Thanks for checking in!

3. Career Engineering 101 - How to find the career you really want... and have the guts to go get it!
When: Thursday, October 16, 2014 | 5:30PM
Where: Venture Café, 5th floor, Cambridge Innovation Center, One Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

Register and Info: www.massawis.org/Oct2014event/CareerEngineering
- Do you wish you could find a career that you are truly passionate about?
- Do you doubt you are "good enough" to make your dream career happen?
- Are you tired of the self-doubt, self-consciousness, anxiety, lack of confidence, and self-sabotage?

This interactive seminar dares you to step outside of your current mindset to see yourself and your passions from a new and exciting perspective. You will learn the tools to cultivate a mindset that works for you, not against you. Using principles of neuroscience, positive psychology, and life coaching, this seminar challenges you to find a "you" that you can believe in whole-heartedly, and shows you how to confidently pursue the career that is right for you.

Featured speaker

Dr. Samantha Sutton of Samantha Sutton Ph.D. Life Solutions is a life coach who holds a Ph.D. in science and engineering from MIT. With her unique combination of science and coaching, she has created a 'life engineering' methodology to teach you how to achieve a career you love, build great relationships, master your time, and overcome negative emotions like anxiety and anger that have you paralyzed. Samantha has coached thousands of individuals at top-tier academic institutions, and she has been featured on USA Today, the Huffington Post and many others. Please visit her website to learn more http://www.samanthasuttonphd.com/

To register and find more information visit: www.massawis.org/Oct2014event/CareerEngineering

Visitors must comply with Venture Cafe attendance policies (see http://bit.ly/vc-credo for more details.)

The event is free and open to all!

Join AWIS to support our work!

The event is cosponsored by GW at MIT, GECD, Brain and Cognitive Science, the Venture Cafe.

********** MIT **********

4. Girls Day @the MIT Museum
When: November 8, 12pm-4pm
Where: MIT Museum

The Museum has invited Girl Scouts in the eastern Massachusetts region to participate in holography workshops which our Museum Educators will teach during the day. From noon until 4pm we have invited organizations to facilitate hands-on demonstration and activities. We would love if your organization could volunteer and organize an activity for the day.

Last year we had more than 100 girls attend the both days during November and May. It would be great if we could have representations of women in science and engineering from around campus. Please let me know if your group would be willing to volunteer time during the day.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit