[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 11/10/2014

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Nov 10 12:31:34 EST 2014

Dear GW at MIT Members,

I hope your week started well! This week, don't miss the MFA tour on Friday evening, and the "It's on Us, MIT” initiative starting on Wednesday.

Find all the information about this and other upcoming events below.

If you have any events or announcements to share with the GW at MIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu.

The GWAMIT Board

Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GW at MIT:
1. Join Title IX working group!
2. GWAMIT goes to the MFA! (November 14, 5:30-8:30PM)
3. Share your MIT experience in a focus group! (Multiple time slots available, Nov 18, 19, or 20)

MIT:
4. It’s on Us, MIT
5. TA Momentum! (Thursday November 13, 2014)
6. Always Connected: The Promise of Wearable Technology (November 14, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.)
7. Hockey Clinics! (Nov. 12th 7-9pm, Dec. 10th 7-9pm)

Outside MIT:
8. McKinsey & Company summer positions: The Thrill of Real Challenges!
9. TransH4ck Boston: Trans* Identity, Technology, and Entrepreneurship (November 14-16th)

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

********** GW at MIT **********

1. Join Title IX working group!

We are looking for two GWAMIT representatives on the Title IX working group. Please see the below announcement from Sarah Rankin, Title IX Coordinator, and email lisik at mit.edu if interested or for more information.

Over the past year, the Institute has worked to introduce a number of new initiatives to address sexual misconduct at MIT. Among those initiatives is a revised Sexual Misconduct Policy, http://sexualmisconduct.mit.edu, designated Title IX Coordinators throughout the Institute, and the creation of my position, Title IX Investigator, dedicated to investigating allegations of misconduct and developing educational efforts.

In this new role, I feel it is important to include students in guiding our Title IX outreach efforts and educational initiatives. To that end, I am writing to invite you to participate in a new Title IX Student Working Group. To give you an idea of the group’s focus, the following is a sample of possible topics:

· assist in creating educational messages and material related to Title IX and Sexual Misconduct;
· provide advice on the best way to reach students and disseminate information;
· think through “big picture” issues such as assessing the campus climate;
· create tools to better assess unique issues affecting undergraduate and graduate students (focus groups, surveys, etc.)

I would be grateful if you would consider joining this working group. I anticipate the time commitment will be a bi-monthly meeting with some sub-committee work as needed. I hope to finalize the membership by the end of this term and anticipate our first meeting will be the last week of January, 2014.

2. GWAMIT goes to the MFA!
When: Friday, November 14, 5:30-8:30PM
Where: Meet at Kendall sq. at 5:30pm or meet us at the MFA at around 6.15pm
RSVP: click here to RSVP

Meet in Kendall sq. at 5:30pm. We will arrive at the MFA ca. 6:15pm.  At 7:30pm we will re-group and head over to the MFA Taste Cafe & Wine Bar - have a drink on us!

3. Share your MIT experience in a focus group!
When: Multiple time slots available, Nov 18, 19, or 20
Where: MIT campus
RSVP: http://goo.gl/forms/3JjaA0KoJg
In an effort to analyze differences in MIT student experience based on gender, we are conducting a survey and focus groups for graduate women on campus. We hope to obtain insight into topics such as work-life balance, labs/departments culture, and the general MIT experience. These focus groups are also spaces for recommendations or remarks on successful efforts to improve the quality of grad student life. First come, first serve for participant sign-up. Confidentiality assured. Lunch will be provided (not just pizza). Multiple time slots available.

********** MIT **********

4. It’s on Us, MIT
When: Nov 12-14
Where: Lobby 10

Dear MIT

The recent Community Attitudes on Sexual Assault survey released by the Chancellor show that the occurrence of sexual assault on campus is TOO HIGH.  Who is going change this?

It’s on Me - It’s on You.
It’s on Us, MIT

To change attitudes at MIT
To stop sexual assault at MIT
To LEARN about what assault is
To THINK about what’s happening
To ACT when you see a bad situation
To SUPPORT a survivor of sexual assault

Take the MIT Pledge @ Lobby 10 on Nov 12-14
Together, we can end sexual assault at MIT

#itsonusmit

5. TA Momentum!
Deadline: Thursday November 13, 2014

We are currently recruiting Teaching Assistants for the Momentum 2015 program!  We are looking for excited students who have experience in design and teaching. If you have previous experience with medical device design, bio-inspired robotics, EMG signal processing, circuits and electronics, or programming in a C-based language, you are strongly encouraged to apply.

 What is Momentum?

Momentum is a multidisciplinary 4 week IAP Course (January 5th through January 30th).  This year we have partnered with the NSF Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering, whose mission is to improve lives by connecting brains and technology.  Students will be challenged to construct a system to control a robotic arm using electromyography (EMG) signals acquired from muscles in your body. They will then use the robotic arm in coordination with one of your arms to perform a two-handed maneuver (e.g. picking up an object). We are looking for TAs from various backgrounds including bioengineering, electrical engineering, Health Science Technology, computer science, brain and cognitive sciences, or biology. Project and teaching experience is a plus.

Anyone interested in a TA position can reach me cddougl at mit.edu. Please apply by this Thursday November 13, 2014.

Thank you,

Chandler Douglas
cddougl at mit.edu

6. Always Connected: The Promise of Wearable Technology
When: Friday, November 14, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Where: MIT museum

Discover how wearable technology is changing the way we interact with the world and each other. Explore the latest products and listen to presentations by leaders in the field, including presentations from Harmonix, embr labs, Ministry of Supply and others.

7. Hockey Clinics!
When:     Nov. 12th 7-9pm, Dec. 10th 7-9pm
Where:    MIT Johnson Ice Rink
Contact:  club-hockey-officers at mit.edu

-  Calling all hockey players! Wish you had a little more ice time to practice, and some tips to develop your skills?

-  Get professional coaching from the Reggie Hebert, Head Coach of MIT Women's Hockey and OnIce Director of ProAmbitions Hockey, and his coaching staff

-  $20/clinic or pay $30 for both, or sign up with a friend to pay $30 for the two of you!

-  Sign up at http://tinyurl.com/MIThockeyClinic

-  All equipment (except skates) can be borrowed at no extra cost.

********** Outside MIT **********

8. McKinsey & Company summer positions: The Thrill of Real Challenges!

McKinsey & Company is a global management consulting firm that advises senior management of the world's leading organizations on issues of strategy, organization, technology and operations.

If you have a passion for problem solving, a drive to have significant impact in the world, and a desire to work in a supportive team-based environment, we invite you to learn more about our career opportunities.  Please see the details below on our upcoming events and our internship and summer programs for PhDs, postdocs, masters students, medical students, interns, residents and fellows.

Paid Internships in Select Offices World-Wide
The Associate Internship program is the best opportunity to explore management consulting at McKinsey. It gives each participant the opportunity to work on a client project as a member of a McKinsey team. Select offices worldwide offer this program, typically lasting from 8 -10 weeks, during the late spring through early fall of 2015. To learn more about this and other programs please visit:  http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/your_career/McKinsey_on_campus/schools/apd/other_phds_and_post_doctorates
Eligibility:  Open to Ph.D. students, postdocs, medical students, interns, residents, fellows, JDs and non-M.B.A. Masters finishing programs in 2016*
Online Application Deadline: December 7, 2014
Application Link: www.mckinsey.com/associateintern
*Please Note:
-Masters students, who completed their undergraduate program by July 1, 2012, may apply for the Associate Intern opportunity. If you are a Masters student and finished your undergraduate education after July 1, 2012, you should apply to our Business Analyst Internship position
-Medical interns, residents & fellows who intend to complete their program in 2016 or 2017 may apply

Insight Programs
Our exciting 3-day summer programs will give non-MBA advanced degree students an insider's look into management consulting, covering a range of topics important to those who are exploring alternative career possibilities.  The program agenda includes an overview of management consulting, an introduction to the type of work we do, a management consulting case study, and an opportunity to network with colleagues and participate in social activities.
Eligibility:  Open to Ph.D. students, postdocs finishing in 2016 and medical students, interns, residents and fellows completing their program in 2016 or 2017
Online Application Deadline: Spring 2015 - please check our website in March for details

Web Presentations
We are hosting several web based presentations to help graduate students learn more about McKinsey & Company and our summer opportunities.  Please visit our “Online Events” section on our website for details and to RSVP:
http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/your_career/mckinsey_on_campus/online_events

2015 Full-time Opportunities
Our Fall interview cycle for 2015 full time opportunities has been completed.  We will be interviewing additional full time candidates for select offices in January/February.
Eligibility:  Open to Ph.D. students, postdocs, medical students, interns, residents, fellows, JDs and non-M.B.A. Masters who anticipate graduating in 2015
Online Application Deadline:  December 7, 2014
Application Link: www.mckinsey.com/Associate

McKinsey APD Women's Leadership Challenge
McKinsey passionately believes in developing outstanding female leaders. We do so every day, internally and with our clients. We have also published numerous acclaimed pieces that demonstrate the importance of women in leadership positions, including Women Matter and the Centered Leadership project. We'd like to invite you to take the next step of your leadership journey with us by participating in the APD Women's Leadership challenge. In this program, we'll help you:

- Shape your own leadership style by playing to your strengths
- Develop your communication style
- Network with other highly talented women

The program is open to APD women (PhDs, JDs, postdocs, medical students, interns, residents, and fellows) finishing programs in 2017 and 2018. This is a year long program that will run January to December 2015. You are expected to participate in four quarterly in-person small group meetings on campus. To apply, please submit your resume as a PDF by Sunday, December 7th.

*Your application to this program has no bearing on future applications for full-time or internship roles

Diversity & Inclusion at McKinsey
At McKinsey, we are dedicated to building a great firm that attracts, develops, excites, and retains exceptional people.  We aspire to be recognized as the best professional services firm in the world for all candidates, regardless of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, or background.  To learn more about McKinsey Women, please follow us on Facebook @ McKinseyWomen and view our electronic women's brochure.  To learn more about our other diversity networks, including Black Consultants at McKinsey, Hispanic and Latino Consultants at McKinsey, and LGBT colleagues at McKinsey, please visit the Diversity & Inclusion section of our website.

Please feel free to forward this e-mail to graduate students who might be interested in learning about career opportunities with McKinsey & Company.

Please contact me should you have questions:

Katherine Ehringhaus
Recruiter
McKinsey & Company
katherine_ehringhaus at mckinsey.com
www.apd.mckinsey.com

9. TransH4ck Boston: Trans* Identity, Technology, and Entrepreneurship
When: November 14-16th
Where Harvard

We are finally bringing our hackathon and speaker series to the east coast!

In partnership with Harvard Innovation Lab, Trans*H4CK BOSTON will address the conversations on diversity in tech and entrepreneurship that continue to ignore the contributions of trans* people.

Over the course of a weekend, developers, designers, hackers, and social justice advocates of all genders will come together to create technology and celebrate proud trans* leaders who are shaping innovation in tech and social entrepreneurship.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit