[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 3/3/14

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Mar 3 08:39:14 EST 2014

[cid:4f856b86-4eeb-4ef5-8666-46bb5665fff1]

Dear GWAMIT Members,

become a GWAMIT Department Representative, and share with us your ideas to improve the experience of women at MIT! More information below.

If you have any events or announcements to share with the GWAMIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>.

The GWAMIT Board
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GWAMIT:
1. GWAMIT Department Representatives needed!

MIT:
2. TPSS iAmbassador (March 7, 1:30-2:30pm)
3. Instagram Contest for Student Loan Art Program participants (March 7, 5pm)
4. Ice Hockey Clinic (March 14, 7-9pm)
5. MIT Hacking Medicine's Healthcare's Grand Hackfest (March 14-16)
6. [MIT SWE] Volunteer at Science Saturdays (March 15)
7. MIT Global Startup Workshop 2014 (March 24-26)

Outside MIT:

8. [HGWISE] Astronomy Night (March3/March4, 6:30-8pm)
9. [MASS-AWIS] The transition from Individual Contributor to Leader/Manager with Gwen Acton (12 March)

 To see more events beyond this week's digest visit http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitinterest

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

**********GWAMIT**********

1. GWAMIT Department Representatives needed!
When: Ongoing
More Info: gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

We are looking to strengthen our community by making sure all departments have a voice in our leadership. We want to hear from you! As your department’s representative, you also have funding to host social events and collaborate with graduate women in other departments. If interested, please email gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>.

**********MIT**********

2. TPSS iAmbassador
When: March 7, 2014 1:30pm-2:30pm
Where: E40-380
Contact: <http://goog_1907419116/> tpss at mit.edu

Join the Technology Policy Students Society for a lunchtime presentation on Cuba.
Hosted by TPSS and generously funded by the GSC Funding Board.
Instagram Contest for Student Loan Art Program participants

3. Instagram Contest for Student Loan Art Program participants
When: Deadline: March 7 @ 5 pm
Where: List Visual Arts Center and Instagram
Contact: cklemens at mit.edu<mailto:cklemens at mit.edu>

Did you borrow artwork through Student Loan Art Program this year? We want to see where you've put it!
Snap a photo of your borrowed artwork and share it on Instagram. Tell us what the artwork has meant to you this year.
Tag your photo with #mitlist and follow us @MITListArts to participate.

The winner will get their FIRST CHOICE ARTWORK in next year's lottery!!

4. Ice Hockey Clinic
When: Fri, March 14, 7-9 PM
Where: Johnson Ice Rink, Z-Center (membership or day pass required)
More info: http://bit.ly/1h1NLf8
Sign up: http://bit.ly/1cdBdfS
Contact: club-hockey-officers at mit.edu<mailto:club-hockey-officers at mit.edu>

Wish you had a little more ice time to practice, and some tips to develop your skills? Looking for some specialized goalie training with our specialized goalie coach? Here's your opportunity to get world-class coaching and some extra ice time. You will do drills to work on basic skills, team play, and develop game situational awareness

The event is meant for beginner and intermediate hockey players looking to improve their skills with top-notch coaches and get some extra ice time.

Cost: $20/person or 2 for $30 (either bring a friend and pay together or pay for both sessions at the first clinic).

5. MIT Hacking Medicine's Healthcare's Grand Hackfest
When: March 14- 16
Where: Stata Center & MIT Media Lab
More info: http://grandhackfest.wordpress.com/

The Kauffman Foundation in collaboration with MIT H at cking Medicine will be kicking off THE Hackathon of all hackathons in healthcare this March!

This event is focused on pioneering healthcare’s greatest innovations. We will be partnering with industry’s leading organizations to accelerate breakthrough ideas. The event will have varied tracks (diabetes, Hospital IT, telehealth, resource-constrained setting) focused around healthcare’s toughest pain points.

Event open to students, entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, and healthcare professionals

6. [MIT SWE] Volunteer at Science Saturdays
When: Saturday, March 15, 2-4pm
Contact: Connie Liu, conniekliu95 at gmail.com<mailto:conniekliu95 at gmail.com>

Science Saturdays is a weekend program designed to bring fun science activities and demonstrations to libraries throughout Boston. From building electric motors to holding miniature "crime scene" investigations, Science Saturdays accommodates a wide range of topics through lots of science fun.

Organized in a booth-style, students are welcome to explore any of the activity booths and find out what is most interesting to them. Young scientists are able to discover the wonders of science in an informal setting that is fun and educational!

7. MIT Global Startup Workshop 2014
When: March 24-26, 2014
Where: Marrakech, Morocco
Contact: shailesh at mit.edu<mailto:shailesh at mit.edu>

Looking for something unique to do over spring break? In Morocco?!
GSW is MIT's leading student-run global entrepreneurship conference.
Mingle with 350+ students and entrepreneurs from around the world!
3 days of exciting panels, keynote speakers, networking receptions, and a Moroccan gala dinner!
Special attractive reduced registration rate for MIT.

**********Outside MIT**********

8. [HGWISE] Astronomy Night
When: March 3 or March 4,6:30-8pm – depending on weather
Where: Harvard Science Center 804
RSVP: http://bit.ly/1hVXBha

Join HGWISE for a night at the observatory! We'll look at stars, planets,and galaxies using Harvard's 16" telescope.

Meet in the astronomy lab on the 8th floor of the Science Center (SC-804) at 6:30pm. We'll observe until about 8pm. Feel free to join us at any point. Bring warm clothes and boots.

This event is weather dependent, so check your email before heading over.
RSVPs are appreciated but not required.

9. [MASS-AWIS] The transition from Individual Contributor to Leader/Manager with Gwen Acton
When: Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 6:00-8:30 pm; Register by March 5
Where: The Ragon Institute, 400 Technology Square, Cambridge
Registration: www.massawis.org/Mar2014event/Leadership<http://www.massawis.org/Mar2014event/Leadership>
Contact: info at massawis.org<mailto:info at massawis.org>

The seminar focuses on the transition from technical roles to leadership positions. Dr. Gwen Acton will explain the fundamental differences between individual contributors and leader/managers; show how to be effective leaders; and teach how to acquire effective skills for managing the others.

Dr. Gwen Acton is an expert on strategic leadership at the intersection of science and business. She is CEO of Vivo Group, and she has previously served as the Director of Scientific Development at the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and as a faculty member at Harvard University in the department of Molecular and Cellular Biology. Dr. Acton is a popular speaker, workshop presenter, and facilitator.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit