[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 6/30/2014

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jun 30 20:13:49 EDT 2014

[cid:5658c698-5396-4435-9304-8996f2b820ef]

Dear GW at MIT Members,

I’d like to share with you the latest edition of the GWAMIT Mentoring advice column, Dear Kate, that gives advice on how to respond to misogynistic comments made by male peers (here are the links: part I <http://gwamit.blogspot.com/2014/06/dear-kate-question-on-feminism-and.html> and part II<http://on-feminism-and_28.html/> )

Please, find all the additional information regarding this week's events below.

If you have any events or announcements to share with the GW at MIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>.

The GWAMIT Board
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GW at MIT:
1. Informal Faculty Dinner (July 7th)
2. Dear Kate
3. GW at MIT Leadership Conference - Info Session (July 9th, 2pm)
4. GW at MIT SOCIAL HOUR! (July 10th, 5:30pm)

MIT:
5. MT vs Harvard Case Competition  (August 12-22, deadline: July 1st)
6. MIT spouses&partners] Free Guided Tour of the ICA Boston (July 1st, 11am)
7. MIT Museum - Program

Outside MIT:
8. [HGWISE] Intense Workshop Series in Strategy Consulting (July 9th, 16th and 23rd, 3:30pm - 6:30pm)
9. Apply to DreamIt Philly (deadline: July 11th, midnight)
10. [MASS AWIS] Annual Summer Potluck Picnic (Sunday, July 20th, 11am-3pm)
11. Invitation to Tufts New England Case Competition (TUNECC) (August 9th, Application deadline: July 3rd)
12. DESERT LIFE: Field Studies of Art+Nature in the Southwest (August  9th-16th, Application deadline: July 21st)

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

********** GW at MIT **********

1. GWAMIT and GSC – Informal Faculty Dinner
When: Monday, July 7th, 7pm
Where: TBD
Lottery:  Lottery form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oKjjrs0P-lVSIw8HEe30DlpK-OoJSDIq1qJsWGSe9nU/viewform>
Info: gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>, gsc-arc at mit.edu<mailto:gsc-arc at mit.edu>

Dear Graduate Students,

Interested in having an informal dinner with an MIT Professor? Our upcoming GWAMIT/GSC student-faculty dinner will be Monday July 7 with Professor Dava Newman. Professor Newman is a professor in the Aero/Astro department working on multidisciplinary research that combines aerospace biomedical engineering, human-in-the-loop modeling, biomechanics, human interface technology, life sciences, systems analysis, design and policy. Her current research efforts include: advanced space suit design, dynamics and control of astronaut motion, mission analysis, and engineering systems design and policy analysis.

This is a great chance to talk with Professor Newman about her research, your interests, or MIT in general, in an informal and uncrowded setting. We will hold a lottery to select 8 students who sign up to attend the dinner. There will also be a waitlist in case there are any last minute cancellations.

The dinner will be at 7:00 PM, Monday July 7 location TBD. GWAMIT and GSC will sponsor the dinner!

Enter the lottery here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oKjjrs0P-lVSIw8HEe30DlpK-OoJSDIq1qJsWGSe9nU/viewform>.

If you have any questions/comments, please contact: gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu> or gsc-arc at mit.edu<mailto:gsc-arc at mit.edu>

2. Dear Kate
The latest edition of the GWAMIT Mentoring advice column, Dear Kate, has now been posted. This question concerns how to respond to misogynistic comments made by male peers, and how to deal with fear of being negatively branded as too much of a feminist if doing so. Because of the importance of this topic, we have asked Kelley Adams at the Violence Prevention and

Response office at MIT medical to respond, rather than one of our usual mentors/volunteer''Kates'. She has written a great two-part response:

Part I<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/2014/06/dear-kate-question-on-feminism-and.html> covers feminism and Part II<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/2014/06/dear-kate-question-on-feminism-and_28.html> covers how to respond to misogynistic or inoffensive comment.

As always, we highly encourage you to respond to the post in the comments.

If you would like to submit any questions (pseudonymously) for a future column, this can be done at http://tinyurl.com/ah49j5b . Question can be asked on any topic. We need more questions to run the column, so please submit any questions you've been thinking about!

3. GW at MIT Leadership Conference - Info Session
When: Wednesday, July 9th, 2pm
Where: Stata Center Cafeteria

Interested in helping out with the GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference? Join us for a kick-off meeting on Wednesday, July 9th at 2pm. We'll meet on the first floor of Stata, near the cafe. If you are interested in participating but cannot attend the meeting, please contact Mallory Bounds<mailto:mmbounds at mit.edu> or Emily Mackevicius<mailto:elm at mit.edu> to be added to future emails. Hope to see you all there!

4. GW at MIT SOCIAL HOUR!
When: July 10, 2014 5:30PM
Where: Muddy Charles Pub

Hi GW at MIT Members! Everyone is invited to our summer happy hour at the Muddy Charles next Thursday July 10 at 5:30pm. Come ready to hang out and catch up and meet other members! We are very excited and hope to see you there.

********** MIT **********

5. MT vs Harvard Case Competition
When: August 12-22, 2014, Harvard & MIT
Application Deadline: Tuesday, July 1st
Info: http://harvardmitcasecompetition.com/

The competition spans 11 days and provides participants with a unique opportunity to engage in a real business problem currently being faced by a client company. Past clients include Zipcar, My Trio Rings, SocialSci, and others. Participants will work in four-person interdisciplinary teams to analyze the case, develop creative and realistic solutions, and in the final stage of the competition present their recommendations to the client company and consultant judges. The Harvard vs. MIT Case Competition is unique among its kind as it closely simulates real-world consulting in a compressed but substantial time-frame of 11 days, giving participants access to mentorship from top consultants and industry experts, and providing them with feedback from the client company, consultants, and other experts.

Case Competition Schedule:
*   Kickoff session: August 12th (August 12th (Tuesday), 2-6PM, at Harvard
*   Consultant Mentoring Session: August 15th (Friday), 2-5PM, at Harvard/MIT
*  Industry Mentoring Session: August 19th (Tuesday), 10AM-5PM, at Harvard
*  Semi-Final and Final: August 22nd (Friday), 9AM-5PM, at MIT

Eligibility Criteria:
*  Graduate Student or Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard or MIT
* Interested in management consulting; business background is not required
* All non-MBA disciplines are welcome to apply

Check out http://harvardmitcasecompetition.com/ for more information!

6. MIT spouses&partners] Free Guided Tour of the ICA Boston
When: Tuesday, July 1st, 11am

Join us for a guided tour at the Institute of Contemporary Art! Christelle Perrin will give us a tour exploring the question of identity and relationship through the ICA permanent collection and featured exhibitions.

There are 15 spots available for adults and kids – reserve your spot at: http://bit.ly/1pRjKBa

7. MIT Museum - Program
When: Summer
Where: MIT Museum, 265 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
Info: http://bit.ly/1ixYIU4

This summer, the MIT Museum is offering various exhibitions, programs, and opportunities of giving back to the community. Also, don’t miss the second Fridays, the free entrance days, and the many other events organized. Check the schedule out at http://bit.ly/1ixYIU4

**********Outside MIT**********

8. [HGWISE] Intense Workshop Series in Strategy Consulting
When: Wednesday, July 9th, 16th and 23rd, 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Where: CGIS south S050, Harvard Campus
Apply: http://bit.ly/1r8FrQU

This workshop series consists of three workshops, each being a 3-hour intensive lecture and case exercise session. It will cover the most important elements you need to know to prepare for a career in strategy consulting, from fundamental business terms, strategy tools, to interview and career development tips! Pizza will be provided!

Workshop instructor: Mia De Kuijper, founder and CEO of Cambridge Global Partners, fellow of the Judge Business School at Cambridge University, and former Chief Strategist and CFO at Pepsi-Cola International and Senior Managing Director on Wall Street.

Application process: Seats are limited to 36 participants. The enrollment fee for three workshops is $15, this is mainly for covering the cost of room reservation and reading materials. Please RSVP before June 27th, 2014.

We will enroll the first 36 people who submit the online payment. If you have any questions, please contact Jason Zhu: zhzhu at physics.harvard.edu<mailto:zhzhu at physics.harvard.edu>

9. Apply to DreamIt Philly
Deadline: Friday, July 11th, midnight.
Apply: http://www.dreamitventures.com/apply/apply-now/

DreamIt Philly (http://www.dreamithealth.com/) is a three month startup accelerator located in the heart of Philadelphia's University City. Companies participating in the program benefit from the unique partnerships of leading media companies, law firms, venture firms, universities, and other world-class institutions joining forces to speed innovations to market.

10. [MASS AWIS] Annual Summer Potluck Picnic
When: Sunday, July 20th, 11am-3pm
Where: Sennott Park, Located at Norfolk and Broadway, Cambridge, 02139
Register: http://www.massawis.org/SummerPotluckPicnic2014

Please join MASS AWIS for the annual FREE summer picnic. Friends and familyare welcome to attend. Please bring a food dish to share and chairs and/or blankets for you and your guests. We’ll be providing beverages and tableware. If you have any fun lawn games (croquet, Bocce ball, frisbees,etc.) please bring them with you! When you arrive, just look for the balloons.

The event is free, but please register to help us plan accordingly: www.massawis.org/SummerPotluckPicnic2014<http://www.massawis.org/SummerPotluckPicnic2014>

11. Invitation to Tufts New England Case Competition (TUNECC)
When: August 9th
Application Deadline: Thursday, July 3rd
Info: http://sites.tufts.edu/tunecc/

The Tufts New England Case Competition (TUNECC) is pleased to announce our inaugural case competition to be held this summer. The competition will be held on August 9, 2014 and targets PhD, MD, JD and non-MBA masters students and postdoctoral fellows. TUNECC focuses on structured problem solving for the global life sciences industry. We would like to extend an invitation to all advanced professional degree candidates who are interested in joining a boutique life sciences consulting firm or a generalist firm with a strong life sciences practice. No prior business experience required.

Application submission opens June 16th with a July 3rd deadline.

For more information visit  http://sites.tufts.edu/tunecc/

12. DESERT LIFE: Field Studies of Art+Nature in the Southwest
When: August 9th-16th
Deadline: July 21st
Info and registration: http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/desert-life

Discover the unique beauty of the desert in this one-of-a-kind artistic journey through white sand dunes, black lava rock, underground caverns, and mountain and landscapes of West Texas and New Mexico.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit