[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week 12/8/2014

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Dec 8 13:39:18 EST 2014

Dear GW at MIT Members,

happy Monday!

Would you like to be more involved with the MIT Community? Joining GWAMIT Exec board is perfect for this; it is a great opportunity to contribute to the life of your grad fellows on campus, while building a strong network and gaining valuable leadership experience. If you are interested, here is the list of the open positions for 2015; the applications are now open!

Please, find all the information about future-coming events!

If you have any events or announcements to share with the GW at MIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu.

The GWAMIT Board

Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GW at MIT:
1. GWAMIT Executive Board Application 2015 (Applications due Sun. Jan. 4)
2. Apply to organize the 2014 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference!
3. GWAMIT Mentoring Program: Social Mixer and Dinner! (December 8th at 5:30 pm)
4. GWAMIT Holiday Social (Wednesday, December 10th, 6:00pm)

MIT:
5. [SWIM] Breaking the Mold Conference Tickets On Sale – 25% Early Bird Discount! (Friday, Feb 6, 8am-7pm)
6. MIT Graduate Consortium in Women’s Studies - Spring Courses

Outside MIT:
7. DreamIt Philadelphia 2015 - Deadline Dec 8 (Jan 30th thru May 8th)
8. [MASS AWIS] Winter Social & Cookie Swap  (Wednesday, Dec. 10th, 6 – 9pm)
9. MASS AWIS Volunteer Appreciation Event (Monday, December 15, 2014 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm)
10. The Seriousness of Science and Why Women Shouldn't Smile (Wednesday January 14, 2015, 6:00 – 8:30 pm)

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

When: Applications due Sunday, January 4, 2014
Positions: http://bit.ly/GWAMITBoardStructure
Application: http://bit.ly/gwamit_exec_app
Contact: gwamit-exec at mit.edu

Interested in being more involved in GWAMIT? Have you attended or helped plan a past GWAMIT activity, and would you like to become a member of the Executive Board? Apply now for a GWAMIT Executive Board position for the 2015 term, from January to December 2015!

Before applying, please review the responsibilities and requirements of each Executive Board position on the GWAMIT website. Additionally, after submitting your application, please email gwamit-exec at mit.edu to schedule a brief, 1:1 interview with a current Executive Board member.

2. Apply to organize the 2014 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference!
Application: bit.ly/gwamit_empowerment_app
Contact: gwamit-exec at mit.edu

GWAMIT is currently recruiting conference co-chairs, event leads, and committee members for the annual Spring Empowerment Conference to be held in March 2015 This is a great opportunity to be a part of the 2015 organizing team!

There are many different ways you can get involved depending on your interests and schedule. Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you have questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous leaders and events on our website.

3. GWAMIT Mentoring Program: Social Mixer and Dinner!
When: December 8th at 5:30 pm
Where: 32-144, MIT

Anxious about the end of the semester? Looking to reconnect with your mentoring group? Join WUGM and GWAMIT on Monday, December 8th at 5:30 pm in 32-144 for a social mixer and dinner! Check in with your mentoring group, meet with members of the other groups, and enjoy awesome food with the members of GWAMIT. The event will be an informal mentoring session focused mainly on giving you a chance to relax, socialize, and connect with some interesting people! Hope to see you there.

4. GWAMIT Holiday Social
When: Wednesday, December 10th, 6:00pm
Where: The Meadhall, 4 Cambridge Cr, Cambridge

The semester is about to finish and we would like to celebrate with you hall before final week begins. Join us on Wednesday December 10th at the Meadhall in Kendall. Food and drinks will be served!

********** MIT **********

5. [SWIM] Breaking the Mold Conference Tickets On Sale – 25% Early Bird Discount!
When:   Friday, Feb 6, 8am-7pm
Where:  MIT Media Lab

How might your unconscious bias be impacting your decision making? Join the Breaking the Mold conference on Friday Feb 6, 8am-7pm @MIT Media Lab to find out. Breaking the Mold is an initiative by MIT Sloan Women in Management aimed at starting a conversation about unconscious bias and developing approaches to manage these biases on the road towards equal opportunity for all. The 2015 Conference Keynote Speakers are: Robin Chase (Zipcar & Buzzcar, Founder) and Jan Fields (McDonald's, former President). Purchase your ticket here (25% early bird discount until 12/1). Learn more about Breaking the Mold at www.mitbreakingthemold.com.

6. MIT Graduate Consortium in Women’s Studies - Spring Courses
Info: link

The Graduate Consortium in Women’s Studies (GCWS) at MIT is currently accepting students for our spring courses: Feminist Inquiry and Gender, Race, and the Complexities of Science and Technology.

The GCWS is one of the finest options graduate students have in the greater Boston area, providing intellectual, professional, and networking opportunities that are unparalleled and unique.  Our graduate seminars  are open to students in graduate programs in any discipline at each of our member institutions: Boston College, Boston University, Brandeis University, Harvard University, MIT, Northeastern University, Simmons College, Tufts University, and UMass Boston.

Students apply to participate in our courses, and applications are due January 5, 2015.

Visit the GCWS website to apply online and find out more about the application process.

********** Outside MIT **********

7. DreamIt Philadelphia 2015 - Deadline Dec 8
When: Jan 30th thru May 8th

Running in our startup nation's first capital and where DreamIt Ventures was born, the program spans all industries and segments taking advantage of deep relationships with local and national partners including Comcast.  Female and minority founders should take note of additional resources and partner organizations at their disposal through the DreamIt Athena and DreamIt Access initiatives that are part of this cycle. Philadelphia program alums include LevelUp, SeatGeek, Adaptly, SnipSnap, Cloudamize, Versa, and Cloudmine.

More info and applications at www.dreamitventures.com.  Applications are due Dec 8th!

8. [MASS AWIS] Winter Social & Cookie Swap
When: Wednesday, Dec. 10th, 6 – 9pm
Where: Rattlesnake Bar & Grill 384 Boylston St. Boston, MA 02116
RSVP: www.massawis.org/wintersocial2014

Starting a career in biotech, engineering or another STEM discipline?
Interested in expanding your network? Join your peers in celebrating the
holidays at MASS AWIS's annual holiday party hosted at The Rattlesnake Bar
and Grill in Boston. And as usual, we'll have lots of games and a cookie
swap, so bring a tray of your favorite recipe cookies!!

The Registration is $20 for the Members and $30 for Non-members.

9. MASS AWIS Volunteer Appreciation Event
When: Monday, December 15, 2014 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Where: MIT - McGovern Seminar room #3189
RSVP: link
Info: http://mass-awis.org/volunteer-appreciation-monday-dec-15th/

Please join us for our annual MASS AWIS Volunteer Appreciation Event. We will recognize the outstanding volunteers whose activities have great contributed to our chapter this year and hear a special talk by Dr. Joanne Kamens, the founding member of MASS AWIS. Light snack and drinks will be served. Bring a friend and you may win a prize!

MASS AWIS Volunteer Appreciation Event RSVP

10. The Seriousness of Science and Why Women Shouldn't Smile
When: Wednesday January 14, 2015, 6:00 – 8:30 pm
Where: The Whitehead Institute, 9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142

Start your New Year with this stimulating, thought-provoking Career Conversation!

Hazel Sive Ph.D. is Professor of Biology at MIT and Member of the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research. She received her B.Sc. Hons. from the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa and her Ph.D. from Rockefeller University, New York. Her research focuses on development of the face and brain, and on neurodevelopmental disorders. She teaches Introductory Biology to undergraduates and Developmental Biology to graduate students. She is Founding Director of the MIT-South Africa Program, and chairs several MIT committees that address education and career trajectories of students and postdocs.

Agenda:    6:00-6:30 pm: Light Refreshments and Networking
6:30-8:00 pm: Seminar and Discussion
8:00-8:30 pm: Networking

To Register, Visit: www.massawis.org/CareerConversation2015
MASS AWIS & Whitehead Institute members $5 · Non-members $10

** Register before Jan. 7th for a chance to win a Starbucks gift-card! **

MASS AWIS would like to thank the Whitehead Institute for hosting this event.

To learn more about MASS AWIS and other upcoming AWIS events, please visit www.massawis.org
Join AWIS to save money on events and to support our work!

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit