[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 10/21/13

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 21 10:05:33 EDT 2013

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Interested in helping graduate women develop mentoring connections with faculty and alumni? Join the GWAMIT Mentoring Committee! See further details below. If you have any events or announcements to share with the GWAMIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu.

The GWAMIT Board
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GWAMIT:
1. Join the Mentoring Committee (Recruiting NOW)

MIT:
2. Negotiation in a Cultural Context (Wed. Oct. 23, 3-5pm)
3. MIT Women’s League Connections (Thurs. Nov. 14, 4-6pm)

Outside MIT:
4. Secrets of the Digital Sisterhood: How Online Communities of Women are Changing all the Business Rules (Thurs. Oct. 24, 5:30-7:30pm)
5. Volunteer at MITRE Bedford Young Women in Engineering Day (Fri. Oct. 25, 8:30am-2pm)
6. [HGWISE] Assertiveness Workshop (Fri. Oct. 25, 1-2:30pm)
7. Falling for Science 2013: A Celebration of Women in Science (Sat. Oct. 26, 7-11pm)
8. [MASS-AWIS] Using Volunteer Work to Enhance Professional Skills (Thurs. Nov. 14, 6-8:30pm)

To see more events beyond this week's digest visit http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitinterest

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

Contact: gwamit-mentor at mit.edu

Interested in helping women graduate students connect to faculty and alumni mentors? Excited about applying your technical and organizing skills to creative projects? Come and join us at the GWAMIT Mentoring Program Committee!

What is the Mentoring Program?
- A yearlong program: we match mentors and mentees during the summer, and groups meet individually every month
- Events during the year: kick-off dinner, February social, spring reception, and more informal events during the summer

We are currently seeking applicants for the following positions:
- Event Lead: design events to foster relationships between mentors and mentees
- Group Relations Lead: act as liaison between the mentoring committee and mentoring groups
- Technical Lead: develop a matching script to automatically match mentees and mentors and maintain member database
- And more: we are open to any suggestions about positions/projects, just let us know if you have ideas!

If you're interested or would like more details, please send an email to gwamit-mentor at mit.edu as soon as possible. We are having monthly dinner meetings, and you're welcome to join!

**********MIT**********

2. Negotiation in a Cultural Context (Wed. Oct. 23, 3-5pm)
When: Wednesday, October 23, 3-5pm
Where: Bldg. E55, 60 Wadsworth Street, Cambridge

In this workshop, participants will discuss the concept of negotiation, its cultural underpinnings, and practice negotiating across cultures. The emphasis will be on sharing our own cultural perspectives and gaining experience in the Western concept of the Mutual Gains Approach to negotiation.

A volunteer will be available to open the door for you in the lobby of Eastgate between 3-3:30 p.m. Presentation begins at 3:30 P.M.

3. MIT Women’s League Connections (Thurs. Nov. 14, 4-6pm)
When: Thursday, November 14, 4-6pm
Where: 10-340

"Connections" can make your day end on a positive note! You never know who will attend these informal social gatherings. More often than not, our monthly Thursday afternoon get togethers introduce you to people you might otherwise never meet.

These once-a-month events with coffee, tea, and sweets continue to offer a way for the League to welcome newcomers and stay in touch with friends during the academic year. Don't hesitate to bring a newcomer or colleague with you for conversation and camaraderie. Come when you can and stay for as long as you wish. We look forward to seeing you.

**********Outside MIT**********

4. Secrets of the Digital Sisterhood: How Online Communities of Women are Changing all the Business Rules (Thurs. Oct. 24, 5:30-7:30pm)
When: Thursday, October 24, 5:30-7:30pm
Where: Communispace, 290 Congress Street, Boston
Register: http://85bdigitalsisterhood-es2.eventbrite.com/

“Networks are the new companies”—says 85 Broads leader Sallie Krawcheck, and that’s good news for women. There’s a new network, and it’s changing how things are done. Recognizing the growing economic, social, and digital power of women, smart brands and organizations build marketing strategies that engage the influential, connected women who dominate social media networks. Join us for a panel discussion with some digital thought leaders and 85 Broads members: Morra Aarons-Mele, Stephanie Goodell & Liz O'Donnell.

Considering a career shift? Need a hairdresser in your new town? Raising Venture Capital? Launching a new brand? Love that lipstick? Ask a woman online for her advice. From mom bloggers with big audiences to the “secret” Facebook groups and list serves that drive trends, women online drive change. And you’re probably one of them. We lead communities of women both online and offline, and at home, we are the CEO's and CFO's of our households. 46% are of us are the primary financial decision makers at home, and almost half of us have or plan to start a small business. And we eagerly (66%) evangelize brands that care about what's important to us. How can you connect to women’s digital networks to advance your business, brand, or realize your dreams? Why is it imperative that you maintain a digital presence? In this session, experts at building women’s digital networks will share how.

5. Volunteer at MITRE Bedford Young Women in Engineering Day (Fri. Oct. 25, 8:30am-2pm)
When: Friday, October 25, 8:30am-2pm
Where: The MITRE Corporation, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford
Register: http://ywie-es2.eventbrite.com
Contact: ywie at mitre.org

MITRE's Young Women in Engineering Day is a one-day workshop sponsored by the MITRE Corporation in Bedford, MA to help young women learn about careers in Engineering, Science and Technology. The workshop is open to female high school students who live in the general proximity of MITRE's Bedford headquarters. Workshop attendees will meet and talk with female engineers and experience hands-on interactive demonstrations of the work that we do at MITRE. Plenty of time is planned for one-on-one discussions and questions. Lunch will be provided.

For more information about the workshop, including the agenda and frequently asked questions, go to the workshop web site. If you attended the workshop last year, the content may be similar. If you have any questions, please email us any time at ywie at mitre.org and one of the event organizers will respond to you.

6. [HGWISE] Assertiveness Workshop (Fri. Oct. 25, 1-2:30pm)
When: Friday, October 25, 1-2:30pm
Where: Dudley House Common Room, Harvard University, Cambridge
RSVP: hgwise at hcs.harvard.edu

Maybe you have also felt the social pressure to speak up in lab, to be "loud" when socializing with peers, or to impress people on the future job market. Maybe you find that even harder in the presence of aggressive people or in an unfamiliar cultural environment. In this workshop, we will explore how one may practice assertiveness to increase personal effectiveness in communication, and to show respect to yourself as well as others.

The workshop will provide a confidential, supportive setting in which women scientists can discuss concerns and share experiences, surrounding the challenges of asking questions, voicing concerns and being heard. We would be joined by Dr. Sheila Thomas, who will share with us her perspectives as the GSAS Dean for Diversity and Minority Affairs - in addition to being a faculty at the Medical School and an experienced mentor of graduate students.

7. Falling for Science 2013: A Celebration of Women in Science (Sat. Oct. 26, 7-11pm)
When: Saturday, October 26, 7-11pm
Where: Science Discovery Museum, 177 Main Street, Acton
RSVP: http://bit.ly/FFS2013
More info: Contact Elliot Isen, eisen at discoverymuseums.org

Please join us on Saturday, October 26, at the Science Discovery Museum to celebrate the important impact of women in science. All proceeds from ticket sales and donations will support The Discovery Museums' SMART Gals programming and efforts focusing on STEM education for young women. We are grateful for your generosity.

The event will be hosted by Dr. Erika Ebbel Angle, MIT alum, Founder and Chairman of Science from Scientists, CEO of Counterpoint Health Solutions, and an influential advocate for STEM education.

8. [MASS-AWIS] Using Volunteer Work to Enhance Professional Skills (Thurs. Nov. 14, 6-8:30pm)
When: Thursday, November 14, 6-8:30pm
Where: Bldg. 46, Room 3310, MIT Campus
RSVP: http://bit.ly/AWISVolunteer

Please join MASS AWIS as we acknowledge the hard work and contribution of all of our volunteers. Also learn about what volunteering can do for you and what volunteer opportunities are available within MASS AWIS.

Speaker Daphne Durham’s 10-year career in The Junior League (JL) of Boston includes service as Director of Strategic Management & Planning and on Foster Care Review, Project Reach, Community Council, Duffle Bag Drive, Campus Connections and the Ball Committee. Daphne has enjoyed a varied career in International Education, working at Valdosta State University, the University of Georgia, Harvard University and Suffolk University. She is very excited to bring her management and leadership development experience with NAFSA: Association of International Educators to JL Boston’s Nominating Council.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit