[GWAMIT] Announcements (5/9/11) - Join GWAMIT on Twitter!

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon May 9 10:17:29 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

We're trying to get to 100 Twitter followers by the end of the semester!
twitter.com/gwamitweb

Enjoy the week.

*The GWAMIT Board*
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
 Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit

*========
IN BRIEF
======== *

*GWAMIT:*
1. Join the GWAMIT Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning Committee!

*MIT Events:*
2. D. W. Weeks Women in Math Lecture Series: The Geometry of Molecules (Mon.
May 9, 5:30-6:30p)
3. AMITA: Keys to Successful Technology Commercialization (Tues, May 10,
6:30-9p)*
*4. Graduate Women's Group Lunch - Last of the Semester! (Thurs, May 12,
12-1p)
*
**MIT Opportunities
*5. Invitation to participate in study of the role of advising, mentors, and
networks in career development of engineering Ph.D. Students ($25 gift card)

*Outside MIT:*
6. [HGWISE] Career Chat: Alternative Careers in Social Entrepreneurship
(Tues, May 10, 4:30-6:30p)
7. [HGWISE] Cambridge Coffee Hour with Rachelle Gaudet (Wed. May 18, 5-6p)
7. [WEST] "Women Don't Ask": Effective Negotiation Strategy Workshop (Thur,
May 19, 5:30-9p)
8. [Mass-AWIS] Mentoring Circles End of Year Celebration (Wed. May 25,
7-9:30p)
*

*
*To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators*
* *

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*

Contact:* gwamit-leadership at mit.edu

Were you impressed with our Fall 2010 Leadership Conference and Spring 2011
Empowerment Conference? Then you should consider joining us as we plan the
next flagship event -- the Fall 2011 Leadership Conference!

We are currently looking for Keynote, Event, Logistics and Publicity
co-leads. There are different ways you can get involved, depending on your
interests and schedule. Please contact us at gwamit-leadership at mit.edu if
you are interested! Help us bring amazing women leaders to campus to show
what we as women can accomplish!

*********MIT Events********

2. D. W. Weeks Women in Math Lecture Series: The Geometry of Molecules (Mon.
May 9, 5:30-6:30p)*
*When: *Monday May 9th 5:30-6:30 PM
*Where: *2-139
*Speaker: *Julie C. Mitchell (University of Wisconsin-Madison)

Enzymes and antibodies are two types of molecules that are essential to
survival. These molecules are proteins, which are formed as a linear
sequence of amino acids. Folded proteins have unique geometric structures,
much like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. It is the structure and other
properties of a protein that allow it to identify its binding parter and
perform its job. The talk will introduce the properties of molecules and
explain how mathematics can be used to model their behavior. Although
high-level mathematics is frequently used, the basic principles of molecular
modeling can readily be understood by those with a basic calculus and
science background.

Prerequisites for the talk: basic calculus and science background

Pizza after the talk.

*3. AMITA: Keys to Successful Technology Commercialization (Tues, May 10,
6:30-9p)
When:* May 10 6:30-9:00pm
*Where:* MIT Stata Center Rm 141 (note room change)
*Details: *
http://alumweb.mit.edu/groups/amita/BrowseWeb.do?webSiteId=SI000477&webPageId=P008&eventId=37865
*
Register*
https://alum.mit.edu/smarTrans/register-login.vm?eventID=54606&groupID=182
*Cost:* $12 students, $15 AMITA Members and MIT10, $18 MIT Alumni, $20
Guests ($5 Extra for everyone at the door, so pre-register.  Online
registration ends 10pm on May 9)

Is there a magic formula behind successful technology commercialization? Our
distinguished panelists, all MIT alumnae, will discuss their experiences
with entrepreneurship and distill some best practices for the audience. The
panelists will draw from their expertise in high tech and biotech to discuss
important marketing and technical issues that need to be addressed when
starting new technology companies. Speakers will also discuss how their MIT
education and industry experience have impacted their perspectives and
career paths.

Our distinguished panelist include -
Bernadette Fendrock, XXV SM ‘82, MBA, President and CEO, Hepregen
Marina Hatsopoulos, II SM ‘93, Founder, Z Corporation
Amey Moot, XV and XVM SM ‘91, Director, Fletcher Spaght Ventures
Lita Nelsen, X SB ’64, SM ’66, XV SM ‘79, Director, MIT Technology Licensing
Office

Please visit our website for more details
*
4. Graduate Women's Group Lunch - Last of the Semester! (Thurs, May 12,
12-1p)*
When: Thursday, May 12th, 12-1pm
Where: Cheney Room (3-310)

Please join us for the last Graduate Women’s Group lunch of the semester,
next Thursday, May 12th at noon in the Cheney Room (3-310).  We’ll be using
this time to provide you with some good food, some end of the semester care
packages, and some space to relax before heading into the end of the spring
semester.

If you have any questions or just want to talk, please do not hesitate to
contact any of us!
Blanche Staton, Office of the Dean for Graduate Education
Miri Skolnik, Student Support Services
Zan Barry, Community Wellness
Alicia Erwin, Student Activities Office*
*

*********MIT Opportunities********

5. Invitation to participate in study of the role of advising, mentors, and
networks in career development of engineering Ph.D. Students ($25 gift card)
*

*Dear MIT Engineering Graduate Student: *

We invite you to participate in a research study on the career development
and socialization of engineering Ph.D. students.  *In particular, we would
like to speak with Ph.D. students who are at least in their third year of
doctoral study at MIT.* Participation entails a brief survey and a
one-on-one interview that will take approximately 1 to 1.5 hours and will
explore your experiences and perceptions as a doctoral student, with
specific emphasis on your career development and the ways in which social
networks with a variety of individuals have contributed to your career
development. The project’s findings will inform the development and
strengthening of career services for graduate students and contribute to the
literature on career development in doctoral education.

*As a token of our appreciation, you will be provided with a $25 gift card
for your participation. *

If you would like to be interviewed, the information you share will be kept
confidential and your name and other personally identifying information will
not be associated with your comments or perceptions. Also, please be assured
that participation in this study is completely voluntary and your decision
to participate or not participate will have no effect on your relationship
with MIT.

*If you would like to participate in this research study, please send an
email to STEMcareer at mit.edu to schedule an appointment in May or June*.

This study has been reviewed by MIT COUHES and has received support from
MIT’s Office of the Dean of Graduate Education.

Thank you for your consideration,

*Carrie Sampson Moore, Deborah Liverman, and Katalin Szelenyi*

Researchers from MIT and UMass Boston

***********Outside MIT***********

*6. [HGWISE] Career Chat: Alternative Careers in Social Entrepreneurship
(Tues, May 10, 4:30-6:30p)*
*When: *Tue, May 10, 4:30 - 6:30 pm
*Where:* Harvard, Dudley House Student Lounge

Thinking about alternative careers for grad students?  Come to our career
chat to find out about what social entrepreneurship is and what the career
options are in this rewarding field. We have two great panelists who will
share their stories of how they became involved in social entrepreneurship
and where their careers have taken them.  A networking reception will follow
in the Dudley House Student Lounge.  Men and post-docs welcome.

Our panelists are:
Barbara Barry, Director of Learning and Research, One Laptop per Child (
http://one.laptop.org/about/people/barbara-barry)
Nina Dudnik, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Seeding Labs (
http://www.seedinglabs.org/home/meet-our-staff-a-board.html)

If you would like to join some of the panelists for dinner after the career
chat, please RSVP to kahawala at physics.harvard.edu. There is a limit of 10
people for dinner.

Sponsored by HGWISE, GSC and GSAS.
*
**7. [HGWISE] Cambridge Coffee Hour with Rachelle Gaudet (Wed. May 18, 5-6p)
When:* Wed, May 18, 5 - 6 pm
*Where: *Harvard, NWB 255

Come and enjoy good conversation and coffee! Professor Rachelle Gaudet of
MCB will be sharing her experiences balancing teaching and service with
research. Rachelle’s structural biology research is interdisciplinary and
innovative. She uses all the methods available to her to study both the
structure and function of proteins. In addition to her impressive research,
she leads a life devoted to service. She has excelled at teaching both by
starting a new course and revamping an existing one. In addition to being a
stellar professor to her students in the classroom, she has donated much of
her time as a head tutor, mentor, and serving on fellowship/scholarship
committees. Come hear from Professor Gaudet how service has shaped her
career and how she has shaped her career around service.

Besides the amazing conversation, we will have delicious pastries and
coffee/tea/juice.

*
**7. [WEST] "Women Don't Ask": Effective Negotiation Strategy Workshop
(Thur, May 19, 5:30-9p)
When:* Thu, May 19, 5.30 - 9 pm
*Where: *IBM Center for Social Software, 1 Rogers Street, Cambridge
*Host: *WEST/Women Entrepreneurs in Science and Technology
*Register and More info:* www.WESTorg.org <http://www.westorg.org/>
*Cost: *Pre-registration (until 9pm Monday, May 4): $75 WEST Member; $95
Non-Member; $25 more at the door.

Whether they want higher salaries, enhanced career opportunities, or more
help at home, women are much less likely than men to ask for what they want.
This workshop will explore the causes of women's propensity to avoid
negotiating and look at "best practice" negotiation principles within the
framework of the issues that impact women. It will show you how to recognize
more opportunities to negotiate, set the right targets, and remain unfazed
by the emotional dimensions of the interaction.

Workshop leader: Sara Laschever, co-author of Ask For It: How Women Can Use
the Power of Negotiation To Get What They Really Want  and Women Don't Ask:
The High Cost of Avoiding Negotiation and Positive Strategies for Change

Light refreshments included. This event is open to the public - everyone is
welcome to attend. To register and for more information visit:
www.WESTorg.org <http://www.westorg.org/>

*8. [Mass-AWIS] Mentoring Circles End of Year Celebration (Wed. May 25,
7-9:30p**
)
When: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 from 7:00 to 9:30pm
Where: Microsoft NERD, Horace Mann room 1st Floor; 1 Memorial Dr, Cambridge,
MA
Cost: **FREE EVENT for all AWIS Members**; $10 for non‐members

Speakers: Katherine Turner, PhD and Current Mentoring Circle Members

Learn more about the Mass‐AWIS Mentoring Circle program first hand from
current mentors and mentees. Program success stories will be celebrated and
challenges will be noted as we strive to make this program better each year.
In addition, we will hear from Dr. Katherine Turner about the importance of
mentoring to her career.

*

*
*