[GWAMIT] Announcements (1/31/2011)

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jan 31 09:20:21 EST 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Enjoy reg day and the week!

*The GWAMIT Board*
Visit us at: http://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu

========
IN BRIEF
========

*GWAMIT:*
1. Interested in planning the GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference?

*MIT:*
2. Screening of Red Moon:Menstruation, Culture & the Politics of Gender(Mon.
Jan 31, 7-10p)
3. MIT150 Leaders in Science and Engineering: The Women of MIT (March 28-29)

*Outside MIT:*
**4. [Harvard] The National Symposium for the Advancement of Women in
Science (Fri, Feb 4 and Sat, Feb 5)
5. Science Shaping Our World "The Development of Humanized Mouse Models for
Biomedical Research" (Thu. Feb 10, 6-9p)
6. [Harvard] WLA 2011 Conference: “This is what equality looks like”
(Registration Open)
7. [Northeastern] ADVANCE Future Faculty Workshop (Application Deadline Feb
15)

=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================

*********GWAMIT********
*
*1. Interested in planning the GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference?
*Dear GWAMIT members,

Allow us to introduce ourselves; we are Sharon and Rathi, and we are very
excited to be the co-chairs for the Fall 2011 GWAMIT Leadership Conference.
We are in the initial planning stages for the event right now and are
looking for other women to join us!

We are looking for members to fill the following positions:
- Co-Chair (1 position) - manage event leads, maintain contacts
- Event leads - design and coordinate a leadership event or leverage
existing templates
- Funding chair - meet with potential sponsors
- Logistics chair - reserve space, catering
- Publicity chair - design and organize ads, posters, emails

Our first planning event will be held on February, 22nd. Please send us an
email at gwamit.leadership.11 at gmail.com, if you are interested in
participating.

*
********MIT*********
*
*
*2. Screening of Red Moon:Menstruation, Culture & the Politics of Gender
(Mon. Jan 31, 7-10p) *
*When*: Mon, Jan 31, 7-10p
*Where:* 6-120
*What*: MIT Program in Women’s & Gender Studies in collaboration with The
Student Activities Office present a REG DAY film screening: RED
MOON Menstruation, Culture & the Politics of Gender

When filmmaker Diana Fabianova reached puberty, she found herself
irremediably trapped in menstrual etiquette. She carefully hid the evidence
from her father and brother first, and later on, from most of the other men
in her life. And no matter how bad she felt, she pretended she was fine. The
taboo far exceeded the scope of her family: it was all around her. Periods
were a "girl thing." Periods were shameful. Periods were inappropriate for
public discussion. End of the story? Not quite. Something in her was
reluctant to accept and suffer in silence. Why did the sign of what all
societies consider a blessing -- women's ability to give birth -- happen to
be described with names and expressions like "the curse" (in England), the
"English war debarquement" (in France), and "to be on the rags" (in the
U.S.)?

With humor and refreshing candor, Fabianova's Red Moon provides a
fascinating, often ironic, take on the absurd and frequently dangerous
cultural stigmas and superstitions surrounding women's menstruation. As
educational as it is liberating, the film functions as both a myth-busting
overview of the realities of menstruation, and a piercing cultural analysis
of the ways in which struggles over meaning and power have played out
through history on the terrain of women's bodies.

Discussion with MIT professor Jean Jackson to follow. Light dinner served.

*
*
*3. MIT150 Leaders in Science and Engineering: The Women of MIT (March
28-29)
When: *Monday March 28 and Tuesday, March 29
*Where: *Kresge Auditorium
*Register*: http://mit150.mit.edu/symposia/women-of-MIT

This symposium will engage present students and postdocs, junior and senior
faculty, alumni, and friends of MIT, and is woven around the landmark 1996
and 1999 reports of the Faculty Committees on Women in Science and their
subsequent impact inside and beyond MIT. The symposium will have plenary
sessions of talks by outstanding women faculty. In addition, there will be
sessions giving a historical and current assessment of women in science and
engineering, including the impact of the 1999 report. Two panel discussions
will address effective practices for promoting gender equity and challenges
ahead. Actress and MIT alumna Gioia De Cari SM '88 will give an evening
performance on campus of her play, Truth Values: One Girl’s Romp through
MIT’s Math Maze <http://www.unexpectedtheatre.org/about>. In advance of the
symposium, we will prepare a publication updating the Women in Science and
Engineering reports. The symposium will close with a reception hosted by MIT's
Society of Women Engineers (SWE) <http://swe.mit.edu/>, an undergraduate
student group.

*
*
***********Outside MIT***********

*4. [Harvard] The National Symposium for the Advancement of Women in Science
(Fri, Feb 4 and Sat, Feb 5) *
*When:* Fri Feb 4 - Sat Feb 5
*Where:* Maxwell Dworkin, Harvard University
*Register:* http://www.nsaws.org/ (space is limited)

Want to engage with leaders in diverse fields including systems
biology, chemistry, astronomy, and science education? Women in Science
at Harvard-Radcliffe (WISHR) cordially invite you to the biennial event: The
National Symposium for the Advancement of Women in Science. MISSION:
POSSIBLE Shaping the Future of Women in Science

Speakers Include: Massachusetts Secretary of Education, Paul Reville, Pixar
Lighting Director, Danielle Feinberg, Nobel Laureate, Dudley Herschbach. And
many others from Harvard, Berkeley, Cornell, Yale, UMass, and Stanford!

*5. Science Shaping Our World **"The Development of Humanized Mouse Models
for Biomedical Research"*
*When: RESCHEDULED *to Thurs, Feb 10 6-9p
*Where: *Work Bar Boston, 711 Atlantic Ave, Lower Level; Boston, MA 02111
*Hosted by:* Munevar & Associates
*Register:* http://showjanuary2011.eventbrite.com

Keynote Speaker: Michael A. Brehm, Ph.D.; Assistant Professor in the Program
of Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School

Science Shaping Our World (SHOW) is an ongoing seminar and networking series
that highlights areas of life science research possessing significant
application potential. Our mission is to bring together researchers,
entrepreneurs, investors, technology and business professionals, in a
setting where they can gain exposure and insight into the
life science advancements changing our world. Further, we seek to promote
active inter and cross-disciplinary networking toward fostering the creation
of opportunities for the development of these emerging technologies and
their applications.

January’s SHOW will focus on the development and application of humanized
mouse models toward the better understanding of human diseases and
therapeutics development.  The presentation will focus on a general overview
of humanized mouse models, a brief description of how these invaluable
research models are created, and how they are used to study human
immunology.

*
6. [Harvard] WLA 2011 Conference: “This is what equality looks like”
(registration open)
Registration:* http://hlsorgs.com/wla/conference/register/

Registration is officially open for the WLA's 5th Annual Conference - This
is What Equality Looks Like: The World We Want for Women and Girls! We're
very excited about our incredible list of speakers, and hope you can join us
for all of what promises to be a fabulous day.  The panel topics are: Health
& Equality, Equality & Economics, Equality on Both Sides of the Bench, and
Equality for Girls. Cocktails and Dinner at the Faculty Club to follow.
Please indicate your interest below for the conference itself, lunch, and
dinner.   Conference details are available here:
http://hlsorgs.com/wla/conference/ and the registration form is available
at: http://hlsorgs.com/wla/conference/register/.

Space is limited, so please sign up soon!

*7. [Northeastern] ADVANCE Future Faculty Workshop (Application Deadline Feb
15) *
*When: *June 1-5, 2011
*Application Deadline: *Feb 15,
http://www.northeastern.edu/advance/ffw/upcoming_conferences/

The Northeastern ADVANCE workshop begins with a series of topics related to
searching for a faculty position and positioning one's self for the early
years of academic life and continues with participation at the Engineering
Mechanics Institute conference.  Participants are expected to present their
research during the course of the conference.  The Northeastern ADVANCE
program will provide funding for the travel costs and accommodations for
invited participants.  In addition to excellence in scholarship, acceptance
will be based on the ability of the participant to enhance the diversity of
the professoriate in engineering and science, so there is a focus on women
and underrepresented minorities.  Applications are sought from senior PhD
students (one or two years away from graduating) and Postdoctoral Research
Associates.   We seek participants from the wide range of disciplines
(structural, materials, and, electrical engineering, and mathematics and
statistics,  etc.) that support research in engineering mechanics.