[GWAMIT] Announcements (1/24/2011)

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jan 24 09:33:42 EST 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Enjoy the announcements.

*The GWAMIT Board*
Visit us at: http://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu

========
IN BRIEF
========

*GWAMIT:*
1. GWAMIT is Recruiting New Leaders

*MIT:*
2. Institute Diversity Summit (Monday, Jan 24; 9-4p)
3. Women in the Sciences: Challenges and Opportunities in the Workplace
(Mon. Jan 24; 12-1:30p)
4.  [Mediation @ MIT] Active Bystander Workshop (Mon Jan 24)
5. Pursuing an Academic Career While Starting a Family (Mon Jan 24
1:30-2:30p)
6. [AMITA] Woman-to-Woman Mentoring, Networking, and More (Tues Jan 25,
6:30-9p)
7. Charm School (Fri Jan 28 12-4p)
8. Professional Drinking Workshop (Fri Jan 28 12-4p)

*Outside MIT:*
9. [Mass-AWIS] The PHARM Game® (Mon Jan 24, 6-9p)
10. Science Shaping Our World (Thu Jan 27, 6-9p)
11. Volunteer with Science Club for Girls (applications; training Jan 29)
12. American Journal Experts Information Session (Wed Jan 26, 12-2p)
13. [Harvard] WLA 2011 Conference: “This is what equality looks like”
(registration open)

=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================

*********GWAMIT********
*
*1. GWAMIT is Recruiting New Leaders (a continuous process)
*Interested? Questions? Contact gwamit-exec at mit.edu

*Executive Board Co-Chairs (3 positions):
*- Internal collaborations - maintain relations with MIT offices for
financial and other collaborations
- External relations - maintain corporate and other relations
- General co-chair - oversee smooth operations across GWAMIT activities

*Spring '11 Women's empowerment conference
*- Keynote Event Lead - contact: jeanyang at csail.mit.edu

*Mentoring Program
*- Planning Committee Members - develop matching surveys, plan
kick-off/end-off dinners

*Fall '11 Leadership Conference
*- Co-Chair - oversee events, hold Planning Committee Meetings, attend Exec
Mtgs
-Committee members - help with logistics, advertising, event content, or
coordinating speakers

*Monthly Collaborative Events (Feb. and/or April)
*- Event Lead - work w/ Exec Member to plan a 1-time event in collaboration
with existing MIT offices and services, undergraduates, other universities

Interested in being involved? Please send a statement of your interest to
gwamit-exec at mit.edu

*
********MIT*********

*2. Institute Diversity Summit
When:* Monday, January 24, 9a-4p
*Where:* E14-6th Floor*
Contact:* edbert at mit.edu, rchapman at mit.edu, alycej at mit.edu, or
iguanatw at mit.edu
Free - Open to the MIT Community  Refreshments will be provided

Learn about and practice ways to interact within a diverse environment, help
cultivate an inclusive environment, and reach out to bring all types of
talent to MIT. Presentations, Panel Discussions, Exhibits, Breakout
Workshops, Networking opportunities, Resource Materials. Come when you can
and stay as long as you like!

Sponsored by the Committee on Race and Diversity, the Department of Physics
and The School of Architecture and Planning

*3. Women in the Sciences: Challenges and Opportunities in the Workplace
When:* Monday, January 24, 12-1:30p
*Where:* W20 (Student Center), 3rd Floor Coffeehouse
*RSVP: *through CareerBridge, https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/

“For the first time in our nation's history, women now represent half of all
workers and are becoming the primary breadwinners in more families than ever
before” (Maria Shriver, A Woman’s Nation). In the sciences,
however, women continue to be underrepresented; according to the U.S.
Department of Labor’s Highlights of Women’s Earnings in 2009, women
represent only about 30% of workers in life, physical, and social science
occupations and earn about 88% of what men in the field earn. In addition,
women experience unique challenges throughout their careers and can make
missteps during the job search process or in their jobs that could cost them
the position, a promotion, etc. Come hear from our panel how they achieved
their successes, what mistakes they made along the way, and what special
issues you will need to consider as a woman in the sciences! RSVP requested
through CareerBridge.

*4.  [Mediation @ MIT] Active Bystander Workshop*
*When:* Monday January 24, 10a-4:30 p
*RSVP:* email sumeetkr at mit.edu requested by Thursday, January 20th

An active bystander is someone who intervenes in some way, either at the
time or later, to stop harm being done.  The workshop will include
discussions about what we see as MIT community standards, moral courage,
reasons to intervene, reasons not to intervene, and then strategies of what
could be done.

The workshop is on Monday, January 24th from 10 to 4:30.  We are inviting a
select group of graduate students, faculty and staff to participate in the
workshop and then be part of a discussion of: (1) whether to bring this type
of education to MIT, and then (2)  how to do it.

For more information or to RSVP email sumeetkr at mit.edu.

*5. Pursuing an Academic Career While Starting a Family*
*When:* Monday January 24 1:30-3:30p
*Where:* 4:149
*What:* http://student.mit.edu/searchiap/iap-a526.html for full details
*Enrollment limited:* first come, first served; Limited to 40 participants.
*Contact:* Kim Hamad-Schifferli, 56-341C, (617) 452-2385,schiffer at mit.edu

Interested in an academic career, but also starting a family? We will
feature a panel of women faculty from engineering and science who have
different family situations and are balancing those with an academiccareer.

Grad students, postdocs, research scientists welcome to attend. There will
be plenty of time for questions!
Sponsor: Mechanical Engineering

*6. [AMITA] Woman-to-Woman – Mentoring, Networking and more
When:* Tuesday, January 25 6:30-9p
*Where:* Bush Room 10-105
*RSVP:*https://alum.mit.edu/smarTrans/register-login.vm?eventID=48801&groupID=182<%20https://alum.mit.edu/smarTrans/register-login.vm?eventID=48801&groupID=182>
EVENT IS FULL, but alums still welcome

The Association of MIT Alumnae, invites women undergraduate and graduate
students to an informal night of networking with MIT alumnae. We'll talk
about life choices and our experience with selecting grad schools,
integrating family life and career.

Join us for supper and networking in a friendly and supportive environment.
We'll provide alumnae, tables, topics --and pizza supper. Please
pre-register.

*7. Charm School
When:* Friday, January 28, 12-4pm
*Where:* W20
*More info:* studentlife.mit.edu/sao/charm/schedule
*Contact:* charm at mit.edu
FREE for the MIT community - Just drop in!

Want to brush up on your interview skills?  Looking to learn more about
small talk, understanding body language, and the best tips for mixing
alcohol and a work environment? Or just interested in dressing to impress or
making the best first impression? Check out Charm School 2011; the best
place to build your personal, relational, and professional skill repertoire.
*Friday, January 28th from noon to 4pm in W20 for mini-classes*

*8. Professional Drinking Workshop:
When:* Friday, January 28, 4-5pm
*Where:* W20
*More info:* http://student.mit.edu/searchiap/iap-a939.html
*RSVP:*
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dElTbEVDOEtCMjdUTGo3eVZ1dDM5WlE6MQ
*Contact:* charm at mit.edu

Interested in Professional Drinking? Learn practical tips for attending
work-sponsored social events were alcohol is available.  Program is
available as a part of Charm School 2011.

***********Outside MIT**********
*
*9. [Mass-AWIS] The PHARM Game® (Jan 24th)
When:* Monday, January 24, 6-9pm
*Where:* Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR); 220
Massachusetts Avenue, room 132
*More info:*
http://www.thelearningkey.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=59

Join Mass-AWIS for a fun and interactive game to learn more
about thepharmaceutical industry. The PHARM Game® is a proven learning tool
to teach novice and experienced employees about pharmaceutical drug
discovery and development. Employees and contractors in thepharmaceutical
industry often have a limited perspective of thecomplexity
of the pharmaceutical business. Even senior executives may know only a
particular part of the business. The PHARM Game is an interactive way to
learn new information and reinforce current knowledge
about the pharmaceutical business. The PHARM Game® will be facilitated by
Carol Manahan from the Education Office at NIBR. Open to men and women
alike. Please feel free to invite non-members, this is a really fun
activity!

*10. Science Shaping Our World "The Development of Humanized Mouse Models
for Biomedical Research"
When: *Thursday, January 27, 2011, 6-9pm
*Where: *Work Bar Boston, 711 Atlantic Ave, Lower Level; Boston, MA 02111
*Hosted by:* Munevar & Associates
*Register:* http://showjanuary2011.eventbrite.com

Keynote Speaker: Michael A. Brehm, Ph.D.; Assistant Professor in the Program
of Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School

Science Shaping Our World (SHOW) is an ongoing seminar and networking series
that highlights areas of life science research possessing significant
application potential. Our mission is to bring together researchers,
entrepreneurs, investors, technology and business professionals, in a
setting where they can gain exposure and insight into the
life science advancements changing our world. Further, we seek to promote
active inter and cross-disciplinary networking toward fostering the creation
of opportunities for the development of these emerging technologies and
their applications.

January’s SHOW will focus on the development and application of humanized
mouse models toward the better understanding of human diseases and
therapeutics development.  The presentation will focus on a general overview
of humanized mouse models, a brief description of how these invaluable
research models are created, and how they are used to study human
immunology.

*11. Volunteer with Science Club for Girls
What:* Science Club for Girls is still looking for volunteers who can lead
an afterschool class this spring.
*Training:* January 29
*Application:*
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEF1OEJxTzREaVc2UEdSeWpWWWVLNXc6MQ
*More info: *www.scienceclubforgirls.org

Are you a female studying science, engineering or math?  Do you enjoy
working with children and shaping minds?  Do you want to make a difference
in the lives  of young girls?  Then volunteer with Science Club for Girls!

Science Club for Girls is a unique 10 week afterschool based program that
recently received a 2010 MetLife Afterschool Innovator Award!
We work with girls in grades K -7, exposing them to the wonders of science
in a fun, hands-on way. Led by female volunteers, our girls have the chance
to be positively influenced by women who are already in science or studying
to have a career in science, engineering, math or technology.  Your presence
allows these girls to see that they too can become strong women who can
pursue these careers. We are seeking bright, energetic women to serve as
Science Club Mentors who will help show young girls that science, math and
engineering can be fun!  We provide all training, curriculum, materials and
even snacks, so that you and your clubs can be successful.

*12.  American Journal Experts Information Session:
When:* Wednesday, January 25, 12-2p
*Where:* MIT in 2-105
*Register:* www.journalexperts.com/recruitment

Are you interested in a career in scientific editing and reviewing or in
improving your writing skills?

American Journal Experts (AJE), based in Durham, NC, is hiring postdocs and
graduate and professional students from top US universities as editors,
translators, and content reviewers on a contract basis for manuscripts
written by foreign researchers in a variety of fields. At AJE, you control
your workload and availability, and AJE matches you to manuscripts in your
field. Compensation is dependent on paper length and turnaround time, and
opportunities for bonuses and promotions exist for those who do high-quality
work. We provide training and ongoing feedback on your work to help you
develop your skills.

*13. [Harvard] WLA 2011 Conference: “This is what equality looks like”
(registration open)
Registration:* http://hlsorgs.com/wla/conference/register/

Registration is officially open for the WLA's 5th Annual Conference - This
is What Equality Looks Like: The World We Want for Women and Girls! We're
very excited about our incredible list of speakers, and hope you can join us
for all of what promises to be a fabulous day.  The panel topics are: Health
& Equality, Equality & Economics, Equality on Both Sides of the Bench, and
Equality for Girls. Cocktails and Dinner at the Faculty Club to follow.
Please indicate your interest below for the conference itself, lunch, and
dinner.   Conference details are available here:
http://hlsorgs.com/wla/conference/ and the registration form is available
at: http://hlsorgs.com/wla/conference/register/.

Space is limited, so please sign up soon!