[GWAMIT] Announcements (2/7/2011)

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Feb 7 10:44:50 EST 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Enjoy the week!

*The GWAMIT Board*
Visit us at: http://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu

========
IN BRIEF
========

*GWAMIT:*
1. Interested in planning the GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference?

*MIT:*
2. The Promise of Personalized Medicine: Dissecting Hype from Reality (Mon,
Feb 7 6:30-9p)
3. Sacred Space: (Re)Constructing the Place of Gender in the Space of
Religion, a photography exhibit (Feb 1-Mar 21)
4. MIT Minority Business Association is seeking Mentors (Kick-off Mon Feb 7)

*Outside MIT:*
5. [WEST] Alternative Careers for Scientists and Engineers (Thurs. Feb 10
6-9p; register by Feb 8)
6. Science Shaping Our World "The Development of Humanized Mouse Models for
Biomedical Research" (Thurs. Feb 10 6-9p)
7. [Harvard] WLA 2011Conference: This is What Equality Looks Like (Fri. Feb
11 9a-5p)
8. [Harvard] Latina Empowerment and Development Conference (Sat. Feb 12th
9a-5p)
8. [Northeastern] Imparting a Legacy of Change: Women Working Together:
Writing the Next Chapter of herSTORY (Fri. Feb 11, 8:30a-12p)
10. 2011 National Conference for College Women Student Leaders Call for
proposals (Deadline Fri. Feb 11)

=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================

*********GWAMIT********
*
*1. Interested in planning the GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference?
*Dear GWAMIT members,

Allow us to introduce ourselves; we are Sharon and Rathi, and we are very
excited to be the co-chairs for the Fall 2011 GWAMIT Leadership Conference.
We are in the initial planning stages for the event right now and are
looking for other women to join us!

We are looking for members to fill the following positions:
- Co-Chair (1 position) - manage event leads, maintain contacts
- Event leads - design and coordinate a leadership event or leverage
existing templates
- Funding chair - meet with potential sponsors
- Logistics chair - reserve space, catering
- Publicity chair - design and organize ads, posters, emails

Our first planning event will be held on February, 22nd. Please send us an
email at gwamit.leadership.11 at gmail.com, if you are interested in
participating.

*
********MIT*********
*
*
*2. The Promise of Personalized Medicine: Dissecting Hype from Reality (Mon,
Feb 7 6:30-9p)*
*When:* Monday, February 7, 6:30-9:00pm
*Where:* Bush Room 10-105
*Register:*
https://alum.mit.edu/smarTrans/register-login.vm?eventID=50181&groupID=182

In recent years, the cost of sequencing an individual’s genome has dropped
significantly bringing us closer to a future where genome sequencing is
routine and doctors prescribe personalized medicines based on both our
symptoms and our genetic makeup. Personalized medicine offers the ability to
classify individuals into subpopulations who differ in their predisposition
to disease or in response to specific therapeutics, and will thereby enable
physicians to treat individual patient in a more targeted manner.

Dr. Nazneen Aziz '87 will discuss where personalized medicine currently
stands – what are tools available to doctors,  what tools are available
directly to consumers, how to evaluate the merits of “direct-to-consumer”
(DTC) tests, clarify misconceptions in the field and surmise some of the
exciting possibilities personalized medicine holds for us.

*3. SACRED SPACE: (Re)Constructing the Place of Gender in the Space of
Religion, a photography exhibit (Feb 1-Mar 21)*
*When:* February 1 - March 21, 2011
*Where: **ROTCH Gallery, MIT Rotch Library, MIT Campus*

*Maryam Eskandari: SACRED SPACE: (Re)Constructing the Place of Gender in the
Space of Religion, a photography exhibit.  A photographic installation
depicting the diverse Muslim communities across the United States: the ideal
space between "Modern Mosque" versus "Traditional Mosque"*
*
*
*Contact: *08thompsonm at gmail.com
My name is Michael Thompson and I am the Programs Chair for the MIT Minority
Business Association.Our organization will be having a mentorship program
for MIT students. We are currently looking for a few more mentors for our
program, and were wondering if you would interested in participating.

The MMBA Mentorship program consists of:
-Kick-off event 2/7/10 at 7 pm  in room 1-150
-Monthly 1 on 1 meetings with your mentee for lunch, coffee, etc.
-End-ff event 5/8/10

The main goal for our program is to equip each mentee with the tools
necessary to receive an summer internship or summer UROP offer. At our
kick-off event we will provide each mentor with some discussions topics so
that the 1 on 1 meetings are as productive as possible.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me at 08thompsonm at gmail.com
*
*
***********Outside MIT***********
*
*
*5. [WEST] Alternative Careers for Scientists and Engineers (Thurs. Feb 10
6-9p; register by Feb 8)*
*When:* Thurs. February 10 6-9p
*Where:* Microsoft NERD Center, Cambridge, MA
*Register: *www.WESTorg.org
(Registration by Feb 8th is $25 WEST Member;$30 Non-Member, cost is $10 more
at door)
*Host: *WEST/Women Entrepreneurs in Science and Technology

 If you are exploring your options, leaving your job, or want to learn more
about career choices, come and meet our extensive panel of "One-Night
Mentors" who have successful careers outside of academia in fields such as
business development, patent law, consulting, communications, project
management, and much more. Following brief introductions, mentors will be
available at separate tables for "speed networking" where you can talk with
them and learn more about their careers and the choices they made

*6. Science Shaping Our World **"The Development of Humanized Mouse Models
for Biomedical Research"*
*When: RESCHEDULED *to Thurs, February 10 6-9p
*Where: *Work Bar Boston, 711 Atlantic Ave, Lower Level; Boston, MA 02111
*Hosted by:* Munevar & Associates
*Register:* http://showjanuary2011.eventbrite.com

Keynote Speaker: Michael A. Brehm, Ph.D.; Assistant Professor in the Program
of Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School

Science Shaping Our World (SHOW) is an ongoing seminar and networking series
that highlights areas of life science research possessing significant
application potential. Our mission is to bring together researchers,
entrepreneurs, investors, technology and business professionals, in a
setting where they can gain exposure and insight into the
life science advancements changing our world. Further, we seek to promote
active inter and cross-disciplinary networking toward fostering the creation
of opportunities for the development of these emerging technologies and
their applications.

January’s SHOW will focus on the development and application of humanized
mouse models toward the better understanding of human diseases and
therapeutics development.  The presentation will focus on a general overview
of humanized mouse models, a brief description of how these invaluable
research models are created, and how they are used to study human
immunology.

*7. [Harvard] WLA 2011Conference: This is What Equality Looks Like (Fri. Feb
11 9a-5p)
**When:* Friday, February 11, 9a-5p
*Where:* Ropes Gray Room, Harvard Law School
*Register:* http://hlsorgs.com/wla/conference/register/

WLA's 5th Annual Conference - This is What Equality Looks Like: The World We
Want for Women and Girls! We're very excited about our incredible list of
speakers, and hope you can join us for all of what promises to be a fabulous
day.  The panel topics are: Health & Equality, Equality & Economics,
Equality on Both Sides of the Bench, and Equality for Girls. Cocktails and
Dinner at the Faculty Club to follow. Please indicate your interest below
for the conference itself, lunch, and dinner.   Conference details are
available here:http://hlsorgs.com/wla/conference/ and the registration form
is available
*
8. [Harvard] Latina Empowerment and Development Conference (Sat. Feb 12th)*
*When:* Saturday February 12, 9a-5:30p
*Where:* Harvard College Student Organization Center at Hilles (59 Shepard
Street)
*Register* and more information: https://sites.google.com/site/lulead2010/
*Contact:*  alister at college.harvard.edu

For more information about the conference please visit our LEAD website at :
https://sites.google.com/site/lulead2010/

*9. [Northeastern] Imparting a Legacy of Change: Women Working Together:
Writing the Next Chapter of herSTORY (Fri. Feb 1,1 8:30a-12p)*
*When: *Friday, February 11, 8:30a-12p
*Where:* Northeastern University - Curry Student Center, 360 Huntington
Avenue, Boston
*Register:* please contact Jacqueline Cooke at cooke.jacqueline at dol.gov

Join us for a morning of networking and inspiration! Come together to learn
and be inspired by women who have overcome barriers and young women who are
achieving educational and career success their mothers could never have
dreamed.

*10. 2011 National Conference for College Women Student Leaders Call for
proposals (Deadline Fri. Feb 11)*
*Submission details:* http://www.naspa.org/programs/submit/nccwsl_frm.cfm
*More information:* http://nccwsl.org/

AAUW (American Association for University Women) and NASPA- Student Affairs
Administrators in Higher Education are pleased to invite you to submit a
proposal for the 2011 National Conference for College Women Student Leaders
(NCCWSL). NCCWSL is a two-and-a-half day conference focused on important and
contemporary leadership issues and is designed to help students hone their
leadership skills for work on their campus and in their community. NCCWSL
will be held *June 2 -4, 2011* at the *University of Maryland, College
Park*, and will focus on the theme, *Leadership for Today and Tomorrow*.
Conference attendees are both current and aspiring female leaders on their
campuses and in their communities. While most attendees are college
sophomores and juniors, NCCWSL also attracts non-traditional and graduate
students interested in both leadership and feminism. While at the
conference, these women have the opportunity to explore the philosophical
underpinnings of leadership and women's issues, to develop skills for being
an effective campus leader, and to learn about opportunities for personal
development. The 2011 Conference Workshop Committee encourages you to submit
program proposals for general interest sessions lasting 75 minutes by
February 11, 2011 at http://www.naspa.org/programs/submit/nccwsl_frm.cfm