[GWAMIT] Announcements

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jul 19 10:26:08 EDT 2010

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Enjoy the Week!

The GWAMIT Board

Visit us at: http://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit

Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu

Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu

========

IN BRIEF

========

Notices:

1. Sign up for the GWAMIT Mentoring Program!

Events:

2. [Wed 7/21] Academia, Industry, or Both? (3 – 5, 32-123)

3. [Th 7/29] Tech Cocktail Boston 2010 Startup Mixer (6:30 – 9:30 pm,
One Memorial Drive)

=====================

FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS

=====================

1. GWAMIT Mentoring Program for Graduate Women

When: 2010-2011

Where: Around MIT

Contact: gwamit-mentor at mit.edu

Women grad students, apply to be mentored by female faculty/alums in
the GWAMIT Mentoring Program.

Mentorship can be sought in areas ranging from careers to more
personal matters. You would be responsible for meeting with your
mentor each month for a minimum of 1 hour and attending a beginning-of-
term and end-of-year dinner. Your commitment to the program would last
one semester at which point you can choose to continue and/or be
rematched.

Applications are now open at http://tinyurl.com/293ko3v - please sign
up by July 31.

For questions and more info, e-mail gwamit-mentor at mit.edu.

2. Academia, Industry, or Both?

When: Wednesday, July 21, 3 – 5 pm

Where: Stata Center, 32-123

Academia, Industry, or Both? Are you considering an academic career,
an industry career, or trying to decide between academia and industry?
Come and hear experts who can help you learn more.  Panelists include

- Dr. Dane Boysen, Postdoctoral Associate, Dept. of Materials Science
and Engineering

- Dr. Lloyd Klickstein, Translational Medicine Head, NIDU, (New
Indication Discovery Unit), Novartis

- Dr. Livia Racz, Division Leader of Advanced Hardware Development at
the Charles Stark Draper Laboratory

Sponsored by:

The MIT Career Development Center, the Postdoc Advisory Council, and
the Graduate Student Council

For more information please contact mcwilson at mit.edu,
sumeetkr at MIT.EDU, or tescu at mit.edu.

3. Tech Cocktail Boston 2010 Startup Mixer

When: Thursday, July 29, 6:30 – 9:30 pm

Where: Microsoft New England R&D Center, One Memorial Drive,
Cambridge, MA 02142

Audience: Tech and start-up community

Register: http://microsoftcambridge.com/Events/TECHcocktailBoston2010StartupMixer/tabid/461/Default.aspx

We are excited to be hosting our fourth annual Boston TECH cocktail
startup and entrepreneurial mixer event as we look to better connect,
education and amplify the local technology scene. Last year we had a
great turnout and showcased a number of startups, a recap can be found
here.

Join us for an evening of fun mingling with other technology
enthusiasts, VCs, bloggers and entrepreneurs as we showcase local
technology companies and take a closer look at their latest
achievements.