[ecco-support] Extensive recomputations with bottom pressure cost function

Emma Boland emmomp at bas.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 05:41:51 EST 2024

Hi ECCO team,

My colleague and I are interested in running adjoint sensitivity studies of bottom pressures in ECCOv4. We've added a custom cost function to ecco_phys.F (m_boxmean_bp) that is modelled on m_boxmean_eta, and is defined in terms of m_bp. Compiling with TAF gives lots of 'extensive recomputation' warnings for m_bp. When running, the forward part completes normally, generating a m_boxmean_bp file with values as expected, but the start of the adjoint component hangs for many hours before generating any sensitivities.

I expect that what is needed is some store statements to avoid the recomputations, but I'm not experienced enough to understand what they should look like and where they might be needed.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Emma

--
Dr Emma Boland | Physical Oceanographer | British Antarctic Survey
High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0ET

NERC is part of UK Research and Innovation www.ukri.org<http://www.ukri.org/>
Please think of the environment before printing out this message

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.