[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Questions about differences among different ECCO products

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 9 12:25:37 EDT 2023

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in using ECCO products.

I’d recommend that you first try ECCO V4r4. V4r4 is the latest release of ECCI central estimate that  has a nominal 1-degree horizontal resolution and covers the period 1992-2017. It has daily- and monthly-mean OBP available. See more details at https://ecco-group.org/products-ECCO-V4r4.htm. We also have a new product, V4r5, covering 1992-2019 that is to be officially released soon. Some of V4r5’s core variables, including OBP, are already available at https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/Release5/.

You can also consider using ECCO2 (run id Cube 92) that has a higher resolution (0.25-degree) and covers the time period between 1992 and March 2022. ECCO-KFS is not recommended, as it has not been actively developed for some time and is currently not being extended in time.

Best,
Ou Wang