[ecco-support] Question about a mooring observational constraint on ECCOv4r4

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 24 14:49:56 EDT 2023

Hello Ashneel,

Mooring observations from the DYNAMO experiment (https://data.eol.ucar.edu/dataset/347.230) are not included in the data constraints for ECCO V4r4.

Best,
Ou Wang

From: ecco-support <ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu> on behalf of Ashneel Chandra <Ashneel.Chandra at uib.no>
Date: Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 2:51 AM
To: ecco-support at mit.edu <ecco-support at mit.edu>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [ecco-support] Question about a mooring observational constraint on ECCOv4r4
Hi

I am aware that mooring observations are used to constrain the ECCO state estimates.
However, I have a question about whether or not mooring observations (https://data.eol.ucar.edu/dataset/347.230<https://urldefense.us/v3/__https:/data.eol.ucar.edu/dataset/347.230__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!OHcp77GtQnmM89pdaDbSrQLwu_6O7ZU2T554_Qcei7zRtuq55N2N_4jMEyT2SJB4t91KTRWJkbtLmMytGwOsVsy4wZQ0uA$>) from the DYNAMO experiment, which was a field campaign (between September 2011 – January 2012) to better understand the Madden-Julian Oscillation, has been used as an observational constrain for ECCO ocean state estimates.
The reason being that I am comparing ECCO state estimates against this mooring data and wanted to know if it is an independent dataset to compare ECCO estimates with.

Best

Ashneel Chandra
PhD Candidate in Climate Dynamics
Geophysical Institute